Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Callan

@olivercallan

Dear UK viewers, if you need some light relief from the day’s stirring events, here in Ireland, a man who finished third in our general election will be leader by Christmas, after being formally cleared of wrongdoing over a wrong he admitted doing. Beat that! #Boris #Varadkar

Sorry Bee, it was the Tainiste not the Taoiseach.

The context was Johnson’s removal from his PM job in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Callan is covering for Tubs too, next week I believe.

Noting wrong with that tweet caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Oliver thinks that Charlie Haughey is the best Taoiseach the country ever had.

"But it is his depiction of Haughey that is most likely to raise eyebrows.

“When I was researching for the show, I realised I f***ing love Charlie Haughey. I’m obsessed with Charlie Haughey. In fact, Charlie Haughey is our best ever taoiseach,” he says.

Before he filmed the episode, he gathered a group of young rising social media stars who are helping portray the cast of characters.

“I asked them, ‘When I say Haughey, what pops into your head? And they said, ‘Corruption’. But I said, ‘No! There’s more to him than that.

“He has done so many amazing things that are still around that you just cant ignore."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

“Shop local and don’t mind that it will cost more than to buy a dress online. Go to the local shop, go to town, hold it all together because it is a great country with beautiful history.

“But we have to mind each other and that’s why it is back to all of that, watching Daniel O’Connell, going for a beautiful walk, all of Ireland, it gets better.

“You talk about the Garda stations and the post offices closing and I can understand why sometimes.

“And yet I don’t know much about what is happening with beef farmers but I just feel there’s distress. I feel really sorry for them — I haven’t read enough about it to know why I feel sorry, but I do."

Tubs’ decision to switch up the show comes amid a new found adoration of Ireland, adding: “I feel like I’ve fallen deeper in love with Ireland as I get older.

“I’m looking at it physically because drones are all in now and you can see Ireland from above and the islands and the waves, the green and the fields and the stone walls, the patterns like a jigsaw — what a country. And then you look across and the place is falling apart in Johnson’s England and Europe are looking at that thinking: The state of them. And we are being so dignified in the face of this destruction.

“I think we are standing tall and we have to stand tall. We have to pull together.

“We have to be a proud patriotic country that doesn’t have to be crazy flag wavers but just love the land, love the villages and the towns."

Article from 2019. Man he does talk some amount of carp when he's riffing. Nice of him to tell people not to worry about the price of anything.

Well, for me anyway, Callan is sucking on the taxpayers tit, and has an hours pay by the taxpayer on a platform which is supposed to be a public service neutral service.

Thats what I personally would find scurrilous about it.

Some folk may not agree of course, and that’s fine , however one doesn’t find other RTE employees using Twitter to excoriate members of the Govt. and then blithely trouser the cash from the same source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I enjoy some of his comedy Brenders. But you’re right. While he has tempered some of his professional output, it’s disappointing to see he’s still at it on Twitter.

It’s quite disingenuous.

(Had to rewrite this post four times-gawd this site is a piece of sh1t).

Ah come on now, Tubs and Duffy are FF through and through. Was there ever a softer interview in the history of TLLS than Tubs interview of Biffo a few years back?

Part of the job of the media is to hold the Govt. of the day to account; Callan wishes to use satire and lampooning to do that im happy to support it.

Licking their holes (like Tubs does) is not being neutral and unbiased either - do you call him out for that?

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement

Butthers, normally I agree with your output but in this case no.

Its one thing interviewing people on the radio and tv doing your job, it’s totally another thing carrying out

a campaign against Varadkar on other platforms, and that has been going on for a long time.

Now that might be fine if he wasn’t a presenter on our National Public Radio paid for by the taxpayer .

You don’t see Dobbo, Tubs, Gavin Jennings, McInerney Ronan Collins, et al going on Twitter with that kind of stuff .

Callan needs to understand that you can’t have it everyway, either pack in the RTE gig, or pack in the Twitter stuff.

I haven’t a problem with his satirical output even though 90% of it is aimed at Govt. parties and personalities.

And all couched in a way to make the Shinners look good.

Very surprised RTE put up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Bonkers.

I would have to agree with ButtersSuki, Brenner.

And I think you're the only person who detects a pro-Sinn Fein bias in Callan's output.

https://youtu.be/WC776bfpcfo

https://youtu.be/1WdPtvvkYOY

Post edited by Brian Scan on

I’m afraid everyone is missing the point I am making.

It’s not so much his impressionist output that concerns me it’s his social media comments versus his ‘appearances’ on RTE radio as a presenter.

Now all those words are important ‘as an RTE presenter’ in particular.

No other RTE presenter that I am aware is so personal and targeted in their social media contributions.

Thats why this thread in on the RADIO forum…..everyone got it?

Anything else is just red herring stuff, for another forum and don’t tell me he has an impressionist show on radio, he is not ‘working’ for RTE on those, they are imported packages.

Do you get my dhrrrift??

Callan isn't really an RTE presenter. He fills in from time to time for the DLB on a light on entertainment show, it's not as if he is a current affairs heavyweight.

Breener, I’m beginning to worry about you!

If he is paid by RTe to present a programme,ergo, on the taxpayers buck, he is an RTE presenter.

Ill go back to my point, you don’t get any other Rte presenters, lightweight , heavyweight, middleweight, conducting a targeted social media campaign against a party and politician similar to Callan’s.

Once you get behind a mic in Montrose and are paid by RTE in its capacity as a State funded ps broadcaster, then standards should apply, and rightly so.

Lets stop splitting hairs here and focus on reality.

Your concern is appreciated, Brenner.

I don't follow Callan's social media output, but had a quick look this morning. Saw one tweet making a satirical/humorous reference to Leo's non-prosecution, and some references to shortcomings in public services. I didn't see any pro-Sinn Fein references.

Would you think that a panellist on the Sunday Game, for example, shouldn't tweet on social or political issues?

Post edited by Brian Scan on

Now I would call the tweet for ‘the folk of the Uk’ that I quoted for you,an insult to our country .

Now you make an interesting point on ‘panelists’ .

Now of course there would be no bar on them accessing and using social media, it’s the ‘CONTENT’ and ‘CONTEXT’ of the contributions which might raise flags.

The subject matter would also be a consideration, I would feel.

However they are called ‘panellists’ for a reason, not presenters, even though there have been several court cases

involving ‘panellists’ which have occurred fairly recently,and RTE have had to broadcast apologies.

I think Callan is presenting next week, so have a good listen and evaluate what you hear.

Callan is a clever lad, so sometimes nuances and seemingly critical stuff is not in fact really critical.

Listen carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Why is that tweet an "insult to our country", and, more to the point, why would that matter? We live in a democracy, and surely free speech is one of the benefits conferred by that.

Standards? In RTÉ?

Are you taking the complete piss now?

We have Lottie Ryan, employed because of who her dad is.

We have Joe Duffy, a man who thinks the show he presents exists solely for him to discuss topics of personal interest to him OR to advertise his “death bukes”. Not to mention his shall we “difficulties” with the English language. And if you’re talking bias, he is by far the most biased presenter on the station, in fact any national station.

We have Ray D’Arcy, a man who after 30 years in broadcasting cannot operate a mixing desk. And is fond of a bit of nepotism and cronyism himself.

And how could we forget Tubs, a multimillionaire who shamelessly uses almost every opportunity to hint/ask/beg for free stuff for himself.

Re. their use of social media, let’s look at the above. Lottie use hers to promote stuff she either received a gratuity to promote, or received for free.

Duffy uses his to mostly promote his “death bukes”.

Tubs uses his to shill for stuff, or to tell us all how great he is through humblebragging, or exploiting sick children disgusting as kindness in the pursuit of likes and shares from insta-huns.

I don’t know if D’Arcy is on social media tbh, but he probably couldn’t operate the various accounts.

Lord Boucher-Hayes, a man who drives a 4x4 SUV telling people stuck in the chaos of the end of May weekend in Dublin Airport to “check their privilege” regarding flying and damage to the environment.

Are you seriously suggesting that because Callan occasionally presents shows in RTÉ he should be entirely neutral in his online social postings? I’d much rather see him do what he is doing what the others do.

Lol.

Don’t you know it’s racist to say “Monkey Pox” now? #WokeTubs and #WokeRTE told us so, including RTÉ changing a picture they had posted on their website of a man’s hands to a generic scientist image.🙄

I honestly don’t see the pro-Sinn Féin bias in Callan’s output that you see, and I’m as anti-Sinn Féin as they come.

Varadkar however, is, in my opinion, a nasty piece of work, and I’m glad someone in the media has been pointing out his narcissism for a long time. For far too long he was a media darling, immune it seemed from any criticism. There was nothing in the post that you are referring to that is factually incorrect.

🤣🤣🤣 I particularly liked that photo you shared elsewhere re swine flu 😁

I believe the WHO are currently working on a new name , likely consensus will be reached on "Da Pox" 😁

The WHO may also need to update their name for fear of causing offence.

"DA Whaaa" seems appropriate.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that Callan can post anything he likes on social media and still hold on to his RTE gig.

After the debacle and lies and controversy just finished on Boris Johnsons tenure as British PM, Callan decides to insinuate that we in Ireland can ‘ beat’ that corrupt and shameful experience,requiring resignation, with a tweet about a man who had no case to answer, suggesting that we in Ireland were even more corrupt and liars than the Tory lot.

I found that extremely insulting, a cheap shot, fully expected from a cheap kind of person.

I absolutely agree , Callan is as cutting and vicious towards SF as he is any other political party , not an episode of Callans Kicks went by in Gerry Adams time when there wasn't a sketch or more on Adams, infact since MLM took over , he's one of his favourite and most used characters and he regularly lampoon's SF gatherings . But admittedly his piss take of Leo is particularly delicious and so spot on, I've often wondered is it actually the real Leo 😁

No, I’m not suggesting he can post absolutely anything he likes, but we’re a long way away from that.

Your defence of Varadkar who you say has no case to answer is as bad tbh as anything you’re accusing Callan of. The fact of the matter is he shared a confidential document with a rival faction at a delicate time in the renegotiation of the GP contract, something we as taxpayers ultimately pay for. If you see nothing wrong with that (or Varadkar’s judgment on this matter) then I don’t really know what to say to you because that is simply not a justifiable act.

Why out of curiosity did you find it insulting? And why is it in your opinion a cheap shot? I’m genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts on this as there is nothing factually inaccurate in Callan’s tweet, nothing.

Point 1..I am not defending Varadker

Point 2..The DPP adjudged it would not pursue charges against Varadker.

Point 3..The Varadker issue has been parsed.analysed, gutted and filleted on another thread, I never referred to its content.

Point 4.. I already outlined why I found it insulting.

Point 5.. The point that the tweet factually accurate or not has nothing to do with my points.

Hope that clears things up.

Well not really tbh, but thanks for replying.

Just as an FYI, whether you think so or not, it certainly comes across like you are defending Varadkar.

• Advertisement

Yes ,it may, but Varadker really has nothing to do with my main points,I’m querying Callans position as an RTE presenter versus his contributions on twitter and Varadker was the subject on the one I’m referring to.

Just Don't mention Colm Brohy , all hell will break out and uncontrollable tantrums 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Death Bukes?

@ButtersSuki Not to mention his shall we “difficulties” with the English language.

I'm almost positive I've heard Darcy say "I seen". I couldn't imagine Duffy saying that. I haven't noticed him say anything wrong. Though I'd know better than to ask you where he slips up!

Are you actually serious? You've never heard Joe Duffy butcher the English language? You're just trolling now.

D'Arcy speaks like a classically-trained Shakespearean actor compared to Joe "does be/do be do" Duffy.

I see the blandest of the bland Brendan Courtney is in for another week.

Any sign of Callan?

I will totally back you up Bríd, D’Arcy fully paid up member of the ‘done’ and ‘seen’ brigade.

Where the Dufficer slips up is pronunciation as is ‘Muuuuuuuuder’.

He’s not bad grammatically.

Duffy is atrociously bad grammatically, with his “does be”s and “do be do”s, to list just two of his almost daily f-ups. There’s countless more.

His pronunciation is worse, but his grammar “does be” atrocious, so to speak.

I'm still trying to figure out what a Stutter train is, dat he was going on about in todays Gold episode, I presume it's a Twain with no Axle 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I couldn’t bear to listen to all of Ryan’s inane comments about a song for children in the post above. I made it half way through. But I did watch one of the YouTube “suggestions’ that accompanied it, which turned out to be Gay Byrne’s interview with Annie Murphy. I’d not seen it before. It really exposed some of the bigotry at the time (1993) and Gay’s incredible bias against Annie Murphy. Diabolical stuff.

• Advertisement

"If you're trying to find a murdered body" ??

Ryan should lead whodunnit murder mystery weekends around Montrose.

But the funny thing is, that if you turned the clock back 20 years he probably would've said it correctly! Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Not standing up for Duffy, who deserves all the criticism he gets but there is nothing wrong with saying 'do be' in my opinion.

A direct loan from the Irish language, the present habitual. I do be describes many situations far better than I am.

Language snobs want us all speaking like the queen.

A now in fairness the Do Be was just an example, as an avid listener of the Live line (more for amusement) Duffy has his own interpretation of the English language, infact its almost a different language. The Thread dedicated to da Show is almost entirely made up of Duffyese.

A supposed educated man, Author of numerous pointless Bukes not being able to grasp the basic pronunciation of simple words is extraordinary.

Yesterday he spoke of Stuttering Trains, I thought it must be Trains without axles, but no, it was Shuttle trains he was trying to discuss, he said Stuttering trains more than once to great amusement.

His pronunciation of Insurance is particularly funny as to is Fire and Why 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

No doubt. I just feel there is something to be said for regional accents and the days of 'received pronunciation' where the newsreaders had bizarre quasi-English accents on RTE are gone and rightly so. I also love Irishisms and loans from Irish and I think we shouldn't be so quick to deride them.

I get what you're saying about speaking clearly of course. And believe me I am no fan of Duffy who seems to think his show is for hawking his wares and getting up on his high horse.

I'm actually from Dublin and there's an extraordinary range of the Dublin accents. I lived in South Doblin, Deansgrange, Foxrock, Dun Laoghaire area and you'd be amazed. I could cross the road, outside one estate and its like inner city Dublin Accents, head up further, the Foxrock accent, Blackrock, Deansgrange have distinctive accents and Dun Laoghaire, some spots sound like Ballymun accents, others Sheriff street and of course there's the south Dublin accent.

I should write a Buke on Dublin accents, as for were I've lived for 20 years, rural (Laois), I just nod politely 😁 not a clue what most are saying but they think my accent is foreign which I find amusing 😁

I presume ye've all heard that this clown is going to be on RTE Gold tomorrow for a Beatles session of some sort. That's my favourite radio station. It should be a Tubridy free zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take it he's still off on holidays?

• Advertisement

Hopefully that clown Callan won’t have the gig.

Advertisement