Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I don't remember seeing Greta Thunberg on any BLM/ black lives matter protest or discussion panel🤔

But I think Ive heard this conspiracy tune before🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

Just to show that Organic can match production levels of conventional farming after an initial transition period (whilst the soil recovers from decades of conventional abuse):

"Facts from the 30-year study

• Organic yields match conventional yields.
    • Organic outperforms conventional in years of drought.
    • Organic farming systems build rather than deplete soil organic matter, making it a more sustainable system.
    • Organic farming uses 45% less energy and is more efficient.
    • Conventional systems produce 40% more greenhouse gases.
    • Organic farming systems are more profitable than conventional."

https://rodaleinstitute.org/science/farming-systems-trial/

A more detailed analysis paper

https://acsess.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1094/CM-2013-0429-03-PS

What most studies on organics fail to account for when comparing productivity is costs per unit of production and the time needed for yields to rise to stable levels as soils and ecosystems recover. The other great advantage offered by organic agriculture is that it turns soils into net absorbers of atmospheric carbon so contributing to climate change targets.

"Soil erosion and loss of productive agricultural land under conventional systems is a crisis which is starting to undermine our whole food system.

"But beneath the feet of Iowa’s farmers, a crisis is unfolding. The average topsoil depth in Iowa decreased from around 14-18 inches (35-45cm) at the start of the 20th Century to 6-8 inches (15-20cm) by its end. Relentless tilling and disturbance from farm vehicles have allowed wind and water to whisk away this priceless resource. 

The same picture is seen on farms worldwide. Soils are becoming severely degraded due to a combination of intensive farming practices and natural processes. As the layer of fertile topsoil thins, it gets increasingly difficult to grow crops for food. Without altering agricultural practices and urgently finding ways to preserve soil, the global food supply starts to look precarious."

https://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/follow-the-food/why-soil-is-disappearing-from-farms/

A rapid transition away from soil destroying conventional agriculture is absolutely essential if we are to continue to feed growing global populations.

Then there is the intrinsic risk of reducing diversity into monoculture crops with a few single varietys accounting for the majority of all food consumed. Lack of diversity makes a system unstable and vunerable to shock.

Post edited by Shoog on

Ya but America is one of the largest polluters currently in the world and was historically the largest until very recently. Dont forget Asia makes stuff to sell to Americans.

You don't seem to understand how subsides are used to achieve strategic objectives. Its the same approach in all fields - a premium is paid initially to encourage companies to build out the infrastructure. Fossil fuels have received similar subsidies and the worst offender for locked in long term subsides is the post child of the right - NUCLEAR. Not a single nuclear power station would be built in Europe without the government guaranteeing above market rates for the electricity. Corrib gas was only built because Shell was effectively offered a tax subsidy.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

If you're going to cite "experts" as your sources. You need to reference them.

We can all claim we use "experts"

I am sorry but the quality of the debate here doesn't warrant the considerable effort needed to reference sources accumulated over many years. The quality of debate is frankly so low that most posts don't even warrant a response.

Lol. pedestal standing as well. Well done!

First afaik boards.ie is a discussion forum and not a debate where no one gets to challenge claims and assertions

Secondly where you claim your comments are from "experts" with lines such as "exactly as predicted by the experts" and then fail to reference any experts at all - your argument falls flat on its face.

Buf if you really believe "most posts" "don't warrant a response" - afaik no one is insisting anyone engage with their comments. But if you do make claims then you can certainly expect to have your comments held up to scrutiny

Post edited by Mecanudo on

I respond when as I want to, I am here for entertainment not to please you.

Never said otherwise. I said

afaik no one is insisting anyone engage with their comments

You said

"I am sorry but the quality of the debate here doesn't warrant the considerable effort needed to reference sources accumulated over many years. The quality of debate is frankly so low that most posts don't even warrant a response."

Seems odd to reply to all and sundry then say most posts are not worth replying. Those statements there are certainly at odds with each other. 🤷‍♂️

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

Interesting, I'm going to have a read of those

Just an initial thought, I'm not a tillage farmer, reseeds are rare enough here and minimum disturbance......the plots of land that have been in my family for 4 generations now have the same depth of soil they had in my father's time....

Would this data regarding soil erosion be mainly related to large intensive tillage/crop/grain operations in places like the states?

BTW I'm not against the idea at all, I'm not a fan of supermarkets, industry, govts meddling over the years...its encouraged intensive production and returned less and less for the primary producer over time.....even some recent developments in the guise of reducing emissions look like they will encourage the opposite and/or certainly reduce the income for small/medium enterprises.

So an American Organic Group say organic systems can match conventional systems. Hardly an unbiased source is it?

"What most studies on organics fail to account for when comparing productivity is costs per unit of production and the time needed for yields to rise to stable levels as soils and ecosystems recover. The other great advantage offered by organic agriculture is that it turns soils into net absorbers of atmospheric carbon so contributing to climate change targets."

Says who? Who are you quoting? Are you an expert in agriculture that you can make definitive statements that one system sequestered carbon and the other doesn't?

You may note your study above details the US State of Iowa and "relentless tilling"

The state of Iowa has extensive tillage farms leading the states in the production of corn and ranks among the leaders in production of soybeans. Other major field crops include oats and hay, red clover, flaxseed, rye and wheat. It's well known that all forms of tillage result in soil breakdown. We simply do not have any comparable agriculture in this country

Your BBC link also details Iowa and talks about the dustbowl which occured when grassland was ploughed and turned over to tillage

You are attempting to compare intensive American systems of agricultural production with a largely grassland based agriculture here. The two are not even remotely similar.

In a previous comment I detailed a comprehensive peer reviewed research "Comparing Productivity of Organic and Conventional Farming Systems"

"That research undertook a meta-analysis of the yield data of organic and conventional crops and the intensity of soil use (years with harvest crop in relation to rotation duration) ... carried out using studies published in peer-reviewed journals. The yields under organic farming were on average 25% lower than the conventional ones, reaching a yield gap of 30% for cereals. The intensity of soil use was also lower in organic systems, the size of the reduction depending on the type of study: field experiments (7%) or on-farm studies (20%). Combining the yield gap with the reduction in the number of crops harvested in the rotation, a productivity gap of 29% to 44% was estimated depending on the type of crops included in the rotation. These results show that the productivity gap is greater than the yield gap between organic and conventional farming."

Maybe take a read of that again.

Yes it would be large scale tillage, Ireland is not a great example of soil erosion and productivity issues. However any area which leaves soils exposed for extended periods (such as the east of Ireland Arable) runs significant risk of erosion and I have seen top soil running down country roads after heavy rain. However even beef and dairy are energy intensive as they take regular energy intensive fertilizer inputs. Organic swards could reduce on farm costs and decrease overall cost per unit of production. This is an area which is been actively researched and promoted in Europe and Ireland.

Nuclear competes with renewables and is less effective at reducing carbon emissions. It really is not a choice of renewables or nuclear - nuclear an ineffective solution to emissions reductions and has already lost the battle in terms of business investment decisions:

"Benjmin K Sovacool, Professor of Energy Policy in the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at the University of Sussex Business School, said: “The evidence clearly points to nuclear being the least effective of the two broad carbon emissions abatement strategies, and coupled with its tendency not to co-exist well with its renewable alternative, this raises serious doubts about the wisdom of prioritising investment in nuclear over renewable energy. Countries planning large-scale investments in new nuclear power are risking suppression of greater climate benefits from alternative renewable energy investments.”

The researchers, using World Bank and International Energy Agency data covering 1990-2014, found that nuclear and renewables tend to exhibit lock-ins and path dependencies that crowd each other out, identifying a number of ways in which a combined nuclear and renewable energy mix is incompatible."

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/news/research?id=53376

The study I referenced is dealing with exactly the sort of conditions occuring in the bread basket of America - and shows that organic can match conventional in those locations.

Meta studies are very useful - but they drag in many studies which are suboptimal. They are designed as a jumping off point for future research and are comparable to the reading review carried out before practical research is undertaken. The project I have referenced is a highly controlled longitudinal study of real world outcomes on overall productivity - a better class of study in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Those facts would be very much at variance with both a Swiss 5 year study and Sri Lanka 22 season study from SR Lanka`s own Agricultural Research Institute where both gave a drop in yield of between 22% - 34%. Particularly in the case of Sri Lanka where real world yields nationally confirmed that drop.

We have heard a lot lately on the possibility of world shortage of wheat grain due to Putin`s war preventing the export of 20 million tons which represents just 2.6% of world wheat grain production, An initial glance at that report you linked stated that study was carried out on corn, soybeans and wheat, mentioning the first 4 year yield for corn and soybean but nothing on wheat yields. That may be contained somewhere in that study, but with it being your post perhaps you would be good enough to tell me what that yield was. Higher or lower than conventional yield, and if lower how much extra acreage would be required to maintain the present world production levels at 770 million tons annually.

I do not know what if anything you have grown, but I grew up on a farm, (and before you ask me, as you did another poster as far as I recall, how many cows I`ve milked, way too many to even think about), and for many years I have cultivated a large plot for both fruit and vegetables both conventionally and organically and I can tell you from real world experience organic gives lower yields and is a lot more labour intensive.

Which county should the first well be sunk 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

we are risking pushing the earth into a new climate equilibrium. One that suits reptiles more than Mammals

• Advertisement

I think the period since humans evolved is a decent cut off point given that for most of that 3 billion years even the air was toxic

Corrib gas was only built because Shell was effectively offered a tax subsidy.

That's complete bllox anyway. All commercial companies here including oil and gas companies here  recieve a write off of tax liability against capital expenditure. The Corrib gas field exploration and drilling was no different.

To be honest the above sounds pretty much like a rehashing of someone's poorly researched undergrad essays.

There are a few core climate deniers here who are dominating the debate, making the debate somewhat redundant overall. If they cannot even accept the basis of the debate been that we have issues of man made climate change, you will never ever get them to accept the proposed solutions to what they consider to be an imaginary problem.

Climate change requires us to cut emissions, which in turn requires us to change energy production, agriculture, heating systems, transport systems and urban planning. There is no debate possible if these are not considered to be issues in the first place.

Its all a waste of time really - these dinosaurs will never change.

If you genuinely believe a nuclear power plant could be built from scratch in 7.5 years in Ireland then you're utterly deluded

You may argue unconvincingly that one study is a "better class of study"

However it would not past muster as an academic argument regardless for the following reasons.

Its a single study.

The study is not independent and therefore would be considered biased

The study area concerns production in one State in the US with large-scale intensive tillage production. That is not directly comparable to agriculture production here.

Arguing from the specific to the general in the case of organic vs conventional agriculture is of little value.

Before replying to posts here I try to establish 3 things first.

1 Does the poster just not believe the science or are they just saying something to illicit a response.

2 Based on the threads history does the poster just change the subject in order to avoid answering questions.

3 Is the posters MO just to sit back and let the killer bees come to them.

I don’t always do this of course but ask yourself is there really any point engaging after you apply these rules.

And there we go with the name calling of those you don't agree with "deniers" and "dinasaurs" 🙄

If you check- the thread title is "Green policies are destroying this country". It's not a climate change thread. Plenty of those already.

Neither is it a debate, its a discussion where if past form of this thread is anything to go by- you can expect to be challenged if what you post doesn't stand up to scrutiny and regardless of any position on the implementation of certain green policies in this country. Soap boxes => that away.

And no you don't have to be a "denier" or indeed a greta hater to understand that many green policies are badly thought out , poorly implemented and/or not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is gas that it can't be done now but in the early days of nuclear power plants it didn't take them insanely long to build it. I think if they were to build one here it might not be ready for at least 30 years. Don't forget they'll spend at least 10 years mulling, 10 years consulting and if they're lucky and outsource construction to the right crowd they'll build it in 10.

But the time it took back in the 40s from the discovery of nuclear fission to functioning power plants was rather short. They didn't dilly dally much at all and just got on with building.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Same question I have been asking you for quite a while that has been answered with nothing other than meaningless jargon on installed capacity, loaded curves and sheerer curves etc.

• Advertisement

It's nieve to expect the delicate balance of this planets atmosphere and ecosystems to stand still. It's always been changing and it always will be changing. Ironically, the only thing that can keep the climate in a state to support human and plant life isn't 'green ideology' but almost the opposite. Climate engineering.

Using technologies like gasses, shields, nuclear power, to manipulate the planet and the atmosphere to sustain it at a desirable level.

All incredibly dangerous of course. I wouldn't be surprised if the first major climate disaster we experience is caused by some man made intervention going spectacularly wrong.

Advertisement