Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been scammed… what now?

• 31-07-2022 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

To cut a long story short there have been a number of fraudulent transactions on my Revolut account on Thu 28th July. Totalling about €10,000.

I contacted Revolut who advised me to raise a ‘chargeback’ for each fraudulent transaction.

So all is now being reviewed.

Does anyone know how these situations tend to turn out?

Bottom line.

How likely am I to get my money back?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

For normal Visa credit card you get your money back easy with a chargeback. For debit card it can be more difficult. Don't know which of those categories your card would come under.

The reason that the credit card give you your money back so easily is that they just don't give it to the merchant so they don't suffer any loss. The merchant takes the hit if they've sent out the goods. They are technically supposed to check the card and signature before accepting it. Obviously they don't do that, especially for online transactions, which is why they lose. It also puts the responsibility on them to be vigilant. When they accept a credit card, they just accept a promise from the credit card company that the cc company will pay them at some point in the future. So they don't even have the money yet. You just have to tell the cc company it was fraudulent and then it is up to the merchant to appeal otherwise.

Debit card is a bit more difficult because the money is already "gone" so to speak so you have to get it "back". But they can do it if you prove it was fraudulent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why start a new thread when your other one was closed - gone from 20k lost to now 10K???

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jos_kel

Turns out some of the 20k was exchange transactions where money didn’t actually leave account.

But there were subsequent card transactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Revolut notifies you about every transactions. Did you not but a block on the card after the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TimHorton

"But they can do it if YOU prove it was fraudulent" I had several thousand Euro taken from PTSB Visa Debit Card while in Orlando a few years ago, The card was blocked then replaced and I told them which transactions were not mine, They sent me a form with the Transactions listed that I had to get signed at a Garda Station. The Money was returned with no proof they were not mine, I simply signed a declaration that they had nothing to do with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Return of fraudulent transactions on a Debit Card is no more difficult than with Credit Cards. You're way out of date with that assertion.

They accepted your declaration signed by the Guard as sufficient evidence that they were not your transactions.

You wouldn't need anything signed from a Garda station for a credit card. Merely your own signature.

Visa Debit may be a little more protection too.

Possibly. My credit card was skimmed twice when I was living in US and both times Visa detected it and rang me.

My understanding was that for a debit card I would have had to file a police report as well. Perhaps that requirement is now gone - although poster above mentions a Garda station. Given these are international businesses, they likely have similar frameworks in each jurisdiction

This is basically the status in the US. Perhaps there are different standards mandated by regulators in Ireland or else EU rules but I'm not aware of what those might be.

The reason for the timeline in Debit card is that the "merchant" already has your money fairly instantly. For credit card, the merchant gets "Visa's" money, not yours, but usually with a delay of a few weeks.

Charegebacks may be the same now. I don't know as I haven't been scammed on Visa debit and the two times on credit card was about 10 years ago.

I remember seeing an interesting documentary yearrs ago about these serial scammers who were skimming and scamming cards in the US. It is a crime that is actually very rarely punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your talking complete nonsense. Credit cards are processed overnight and the money debited from the card holder and sent to the merchant bank pretty much in the same process. Usually they receive the funds the next day or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

All pointless and not comparable. You're comparing a US outmoded process. Not helpful to the topic on an Irish site in the slightest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement