Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

I wouldn’t credit Discovery with “reviving Trek” at all. Circumstance revived Trek. An existing hungry fan base and a new streaming service in need of content has kept it going, despite anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, Discovery is a relative success in that its viewership is probably quite high. But remember, we were waiting a few years for another series since Enterprise was cancelled. Discovery season 1 had its flaws but was interesting. Production values were very high, before we found out that Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh were from the mirror universe and REALLY start chewing the scenery, they were interesting. Even before SNW was announced, we all loved Pike & Spock.

There was a dearth of new Trek. It would have been interesting to see how well it would have done had SNW and Lower Decks been released first.

I say give them one season to finish their run. Tell them they have a last season before they plan so they can plan accordingly. And please please PLEASE do NOT give us that long gestating Section 31 series. It would be camper than "Ru Paul's essential guide to camping at Glastonbury" And with more scenery chewing than that bit in Willy Wonka.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Always worth remembering too that the Disco we got wasn't even the Disco planned IIRC. We were supposed to get a Bryan Fuller anthology series and while I'm not aware of what aspects of that made it into what became Discovery, the whole series has been chaos from the beginning. Arguably the show didn't even find its core premise until season 3.

CBS needed headliners for its brief Streaming service so would be an interesting piece of speculation as to whether Disco would have been allowed to persist had it been on a more commercial, network channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That section 31 series sounds awful. S31 and the mirror universe are 2 things that Trek really shouldn't delve that deep into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd put money on it not happening. Michelle Yeoh is a busy woman, and the two already beloved Trek shows suggest the appetite isn't there for "murky shadows" grey area Trek.

Again, to wield the power of speculation as truth, I think Yeoh was "popular" insofar as her vampy Uber space-bitch performance carried much of the goodwill. This resulting in Kurtzmann coming to the wrong conclusions about the want for a s31 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think SNW and LD are beloved because they're optimistic and light-hearted, it's because they're actually good. If the gritty morally grey Star Trek series was good it'd be popular too but Section-31 would be an absolute train wreck.

They're good shows but are also shows that, not coincidentally, take a less angst, smudgy view of the Federation. Easier to get the fans onboard if the starting point isn't something often a side flavour in past Trek. I'm sure there's a good show to be made, there's even more that don't touch s31 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

RIP Nichelle Nichols, just seeing it on Twitter, 89.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

She hadnt been well for a long time. RIP

Pah, maybe you should give this it's own thread? She's a pretty big deal in the Trek world.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Severe alzheimer's, I think.

RIP you trail blazing icon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@TheValeyard @pah

Pah, maybe you should give this it's own thread? She's a pretty big deal in the Trek world.

@AMKC Started a thread here: -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

As with pretty much anything in a big fictional universe, like Trek's, all manner of possibilities could make for good TV....if it's done well. One poster once mentioned a political drama with President Archer in the early Federation. It could work...if it's done well.

Hell, you could have a show solely focused on The Doctor trying to become a successful holo-novellist and everything that comes with that, and it would work.....if it was done well.

It's the same point I bring up everytime when we discuss newer Trek. Discovery could have worked if it was done well, and so too could a Section 31 show...but my instincts about that show's creation lead me to believe that it probably would not have been. It was born of Discovery's bizarre version of the spy organistion and I suspect might have been brewed as a way to keep Yeoh on staff to loan some of her star-appeal to that project. Pure speculation, but "the biz" do have knack of putting a lot of importance on what names you can sign verses the actually meat of your project.

I was never too much of a fan of Section 31 when they turned up in DS9 either. It was an interesting idea, but I felt that they needed to do something better than just have Sloan messing about with Bashir. There were some hints of cloak & dagger stuff in Trek prior to S31's reveal and it could have been interesting to see them weaved into that a bit. With a good team of writers, you could so something good there, but they do need to be good.

It was born of Discovery's bizarre version of the spy organistion

Whoever suggested Section 31 should have a huge fleet of ships should never be allowed near a writers room again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Or their own badge / uniform....or to allow Starfleet computers to actually identity S31 ships.

They were the most open secret organization ever. Everyone seemed to be just strolling round chatting about them.

I'm not against the idea that they could be widely known,* everyone has heard of the CIA, FSB, MI6, etc, but having the equivalent of a CIA carrier group stretches believability too far. Shuttles or La Sirena sized ships would have been more appropriate.

*it is a major canon inconsistency that 100 years either side of that season of Discovery they were virtually unknown though.

I know he was "cured" but having a former Klingon sleeper agent who was in a relationship with the high chancellor becoming leader of s31 was also a bit of a stretch.

Why can't shows just cut a character when their time is up rather than write shte like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I agree. I think there is space for a morally interesting Trek. As I said elsewhere, DS9 is my favourite Trek series (Although SNW has had a banger of a first season of course). But yeah, there is absolutely space for a morally interesting Trek series: Something quite slow and even a bit grim. But NOT HANDWRINGING which is what we would get from the Discovery team. Well, wither handwringing or scenery-chewing campness or, god-forbid, both. You would have them walking around in black leather uniforms while twirling mustaches all the while, Lt Sarah Mc'Pointofview internally monologues about how she feels about sacrificing her morals (Oh and some innocent people or whatever. Personal morals more important) for the situation-of-the-week

I have said many times that DS9 could/should have ended on a downer. The Federation in ruins, The Dominion won. If any series had the balls to do that, it would have been DS9. (It wouldn't even have had to have had an impact on Voyager. They were the other side of the galaxy. Trying to get home. Not knowing that, when they got back, the mighty Federation was gone).

The next series could have taken place 100 years later. A very underdog Federation trying to rebuild with lesser tech and few allies. Doing what they needed to in order to rebuild. Good or bad.

The problem is, you need a worthy foe. They could certainly still use The Dominion. While there is peace, it's tentative at best. Have a sort of cold-war spy thriller series about covert operatives within The Dominion. THAT I would like to see. ALONG with the fun and excitement of SNW and LD.

That kinda ends DS9 on a cliffhanger though which I wouldn't be fond of.

One of the few things I do like about Picard is you can see the effects the war had on the Federation.

The later TOS movies have a nice Klingon cold war arc running through them.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I have said many times that DS9 could/should have ended on a downer. The Federation in ruins, The Dominion won. If any series had the balls to do that, it would have been DS9. (It wouldn't even have had to have had an impact on Voyager. They were the other side of the galaxy. Trying to get home. Not knowing that, when they got back, the mighty Federation was gone).

The next series could have taken place 100 years later. A very underdog Federation trying to rebuild with lesser tech and few allies. Doing what they needed to in order to rebuild. Good or bad.

I for One am glad DS9 did not end like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I would love to see an alternative universe anthology series.

Explore stuff like the Riker who lost Wolf 359 or a federation who lost to the Dominion. Could show the first days of the Equinox in the Delta quadrant.

Would be a natural fit for animation, where you could get the cast back to lend voices for the alternative stories. Marvel did it with apparent success (never watched it myself) and their "What If?" series.

Has the infinite span of spin off media ever tackled those alternative takes? Obviously the shows themselves sometimes dabbled with episodes such as Tapestry - but was never an actual focus of the story.

Some of the Short Treks like Calypso are now known to be AU as they are contradicted by later seasons of Disco. In general I'm not sure where ST officially fits into canon.

Not AU but Children of Mars is pretty cool if you haven't seen it.

"We won't go back. You don't know what it's like in our universe. The Federation's gone! The Borg is everywhere! We're one of the last ships left. Please, you've got to help us."

"I'm sorry, there's no choice. If this works everything will return t"

"NO! WE WON'T GO BACK!"

Amazing that they never even tried to say "send them to sleep"

That only worked because they had Locutus and on a single cube.

It was an unprotected sub system, any drone would do plus Data.

No reason to believe it wouldn't spread through any local ships all up the collective.

The fractal should have worked too, from Hugh

• Advertisement
    Ms

Here it is. Maybe the ship just vaporised bacause it was not of this Universe and so when does it goes back to its own Universe. Just a theory.

Otherwise you would imagine they would at least scan the debree once all the other Enterprises were gone back to there Universes for anything useful like logs or sensor data if there was anything.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement