Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Piece in the SBP today

New report from the Irish Academy of Engineering says major infrastructural developments, including roads and a 5G network, are necessary to ensure balanced regional development.

On telecoms, the group said it was not clear whether the National Broadband Plan (NBP) would have sufficient capacity to facilitate "the increasingly sophisticated software" likely to be required in working from home in future, and added that well-developed 5G networks could help in meeting such needs.

The development of a wide-ranging 5G network would require "huge investment" without which the urban-rural divide could widen further, undermining the government's aim to rebalance development between the regions and the greater Dublin area.

Is this engineering body saying that a 10 Gbps capable fibre network, upgradeable to 25 Gbps or more, isn't future proof and requires a 5g network as a backup?

From the report

BROADBAND

The development of new, large-scale telecoms networks has evolved significantly over the last 10 years and new networks are now almost exclusively focused on data centre to data centre. To date, no such long-haul networks exist outside the Greater Dublin Area (with the exception of the Aurora Telecom network). The lack of availability of high quality, large bandwidth and the higher cost of broadband in the regions compared to Dublin is a major impediment in attracting large entities such as data centres into the regions. This is despite the obvious advantages which the regions enjoy over Dublin in relation to being more adjacent to the sources of power generation and the cost and availability of housing.

It is not clear whether the National Broadband Plan will have sufficient capacity to facilitate the increasingly sophisticated software likely to be required in working from home in the future. 5G technology can benefit smart agriculture, tourism (entertainment / media), energy (rural generation), mobility (autonomous driving and infotainment), healthcare (assisted living) – all have particular relevance in rural societies, not just for the inhabitants but also for tourists and business investors.

5G is not just the cellular network, it also requires huge investment in traditional backhaul networks to create a ‘fibre-deep’ infrastructure across all regions of the country. If this is not done, it could further widen the urban-rural divide and impact negatively on the development rebalancing envisaged in the NPF.

Recommendations:

- The State should establish at an early date a not-for-profit, commercially-run State entity to manage and oversee all State telecom/broadband assets, which will be empowered to establish a National Broadband Backhaul Network, managed by a special purpose agency.

- The agency should establish an open-access backhaul fibre grid network to service regional Ireland with high quality national and international digital connectivity, using and upgrading existing and appropriate State-owned networks, such as the TII duct network, capable of connecting all international fibre cables landing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Clearly i am missing something, as the objective of the nbi was to bring the rural homes etc up to (and actuslly in real terms, beyond) the capability of our "well connected" urban and suburban areas, so how is this putting the nbi areas at a disadvantage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Paper never refused ink.

For comparison Engineers Ireland have this.

The State of Ireland 2021 recommendations

Expedite the National Broadband Plan

Prioritise more populated areas for the rollout of the plan

Investigate the viability of low earth orbit (LEO) satellite broadband as an interim broadband solution for rural communities

If viable, offer subsidies (through for example, a tax credit) for satellite broadband while the network is being built

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

"Irish Academy of Engineering suggests major engineering projects are a good idea" The piece about broadband/5G was generic fluff. Honestly sounded like it was written by the marketing departments of the telecoms industry and copy-pasted. There's almost no data to back up any of their reasoning. All finger in the air stuff.

Yep, agree totally, and the bluster about dats centre connectivity is pure bum fluff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

The funniest bit is that fibre isn't good enough for wfh but it will be needed for 5G backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Hi folks my address has just gone to preorder but when I follow the link I'm just brought straight to normal sky log in and nothing about preorder FTTH.

Am I missing something obvious?

Pre order on nbi does not translate into ready for order on many of the prividers websites, there is a significant lag between nbi pre order and actuakly beaing able to place an order directly with an isp!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

They won’t. They’ll take a look at the growth, shake their heads, make a few calls and be back a month later with the hoist

IrelandOffline has gathered the known NBI endpoints on one map; DA status, OLTs, BCPs, County Stats.

More map & stats, less pop-up and eyewash.

https://irelandoffline.org/map/#/nbi

(use Firefox, not Safari)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

KN have arrived ……. need a hoist but they are doing the rest of the install when they are waiting to trim a few branches

What's the story with the OLT status? Tipperary is showing as Jan 25->Dec 26 for that, but READY_TO_CONNECT for the DA. What's the distinction between the two?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Was just going to ask that - My Areas for example is currently in "network build underway" with connections expected in Jan-Mar next year , but the "OLT Status" says 2025-2026 ?

hoist arrived about an hour ago , just finishing up , great bunch of lads from KN

, waiting for Eir to provision the line 😎

Post edited by Tony H on

Yes, thank you you're right. There shouldn't be a distinction, seemingly it's not picking up the OLT info. Will pass on.

Update:

The OLT problem seems to be fixed now.

Post edited by clohamon on

Any one have any idea how long it takes Eir to provision a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

Met with some NBI surveyors this morning in south Kilkenny (Tullogher). Was pleased to see them, as our area only appears as "survey pending" currently, but we but up against another area (Thomastown) which was marked as "survey completed" recently. Surveyors mentioned they were doing some minor shifts in areas where it made sense. ETA: 2 years. Not great, but better than 3-4 which we were seeing.

still waiting for eir to provision the line , coming up on 48 hours now , wonder can I cancel now and go with a different provider ?

you can cancel your purchase

within 14 days of the receipt of your goods or, in the case of services, within 14 days from

the date your service was installed (the cooling off period).

, so you should be able to cancel (provided you can actually get through to them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Hmmm... I think I've seen users here posting speed tests on the day of installation. I'm expecting to be installed tomorrow and am hoping everything is in place for immediate use. I've ordered with Sky. I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Yeah, mine was live straight away on installation day with Digiweb.

Mine took a few days for vf to provision after it was physically installed. Vf missed a step in the process it seemed, and my install was on a friday, so had to wait till monday to contqxt them and get it up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

One of the KN engineer's quality assurance checks is to run a speedtest and confirm it with the customer before they leave, so I'm surprised to hear of instances where the service wasn't fully operational after the engineer had finished.

I've experience of two connections - one through Sky and the other through Vodafone - and there were some differences, eg Sky sent their equipment in advance, whereas for Vodafone the engineer brought it. But in both cases the service was working before they left and the engineer showed me the speedtest and uploaded a photo of same to their QA portal.

I'd be getting onto Eir asap and kicking up a fuss.

Been on to eir most of the morning , been told by a manager that 48 hours was the norm , was on to the fulfilment section and they were fairly useless , their answer was to fire off a email to another section , it’s the not knowing what’s happening is so frustrating, attempted to cancel and was told that I can’t as the order was not fulfilled yet , really sorry that I didn’t go with Pure Telecom .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

The technical support manager in Pure Telecom doesn't know what an RJ45 is!!!

Same as ever so , it’s who you know not what you know ,

In my case, as vodafone had not provisioned, NBI were able to reconfigure to point towards their own internal servers to complete and demonstrate a successfull speed test showing the connection was performing in spec from their perspective.

About as accurate and thorough as you could expect them to do under the circumstances due to failure on the isp side!

In my case, as vodafone had not provisioned, NBI were able to reconfigure to point towards their own internal servers to complete and demonstrate a successfull speed test showing the connection was performing in spec from their perspective.

About as accurate and thorough as you could expect them to do under the circumstances due to failure on the isp side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

So got connected today, gone from 4g router happy days! Speed over wifi

Advertisement