Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Why assume they are Google images?

There's plenty of commerical satellites providing the paying public with daily images of Ukraine. The OSINT community are a little more advanced than the Russians with their 1960's maps of Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Yes. Yes, I do.

I see things have changed around here since I've been away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

All the images are from March 2020. My point was, regardless of age, to look around the substantial dock facilities where the Black Sea is based.

The information on the Kilo is correct as of yesterday.

It's incredible the amount of times folks do not read posts correctly, yourself excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Because its the Google earth layout and ui.

Also the little G symbol on the bottom left of the screen shots.

And the poster just said it was Google earth.

No Tom Clancy here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Any update on these nuclear sea mines you were harping on about ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

It is even on mainstream news so source here does not matter.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Russias Patsy in Africa is starting to rumble... corruption and theft are rampant in Sudan judging by this CNN investigation. Wanger and Russia are not going to last long here. More sanctions against Russian Gold could be in the pipeline.

Russian puppets around the world will be looking on with increasing nervousness.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

I guess it just goes to show that people may not be happy with their peacetime government, but they still prefer it to being invaded and massacred by a neighbouring country with imperial intentions.

Who could have guessed that.

Evidently not Russian "intelligence" services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Re the Dolphin pins... so thats what happened to Fungie. Dingle will not be pleased!

PS note... is that a Confederate flag I see on the sub?

My eyes are tired from the weekend so apologies in advance.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Russians reminding world of their past nuclear and chemical poisoning use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Rare immune disorders don't need hazmat suits, the clue it's in the name, autoimmune, that means there is no infection. But I suppose it became standard procedure when a russian dissident falls ill, and that's for good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

PS note... is that a Confederate flag I see on the sub?

Not quite, @nigeldaniel , that's just the jack or bow flag of the Russian Navy, similar to the golden harp on green background that is flown on the bow of Irish navy vessels. It accompanies the naval ensign, in Russia"s case a blue diagonal cross on a white background, that's flown at the stern.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Russia is bluffing about its nuclear attack. They would only launch nuclear weapons if they thought that Russia itself was in danger of collapse.

Besides they would use chemical and biological weapons first and they have not done that yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Chubais is in Sardinia apparently. Of course he was poisoned.

Ksenia Sobchak is the daughter of Putin's mentor Anatoly Sobchak, who was almost certainly poisoned to death in February 2000, seven weeks after Putin assumed the presidency of Russia.

She seems a strange figure, one of the handpicked fake "opposition" figures who are allowed to operate in the all-choreographed world that is Putin's Russia.

Her mother Lydumila Narusova is also involved in Russian politics and said this in February:

In response to Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine, Narusova on 27 February stated in a television interview: "I do not identify myself with those representatives of the state that speak out in favor of the war. I think they themselves do not know what they are doing. They are following orders without thinking." She also stated that Russian soldiers in Ukraine lay "unburied; wild, stray dogs gnawing on bodies that in some cases cannot be identified because they are burned."[8] On 4 March Narusova told the Federation Council, in livestreamed proceedings, of the heavy losses Russian forces were suffering in Ukraine. She claimed to know of a 100-strong Russian conscript company of whom "only four were left alive" when the unit was withdrawn.[9]

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

We are up to two dozen Gazprom honchos and their families killed now, nothing random about Russian criminality

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Soviet APC was seized by Ukrainian military at Izyum direction

the little victories

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just watching CNN the mayor of Mykolaiv believes there are Russian sympathisers in the city passing on locations of Ukrainian equipment and military personnel. Russia must be hitting the Ukrainian military there that otherwise Russia wouldn't of hit without information making its way to the Russian military.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

Very hard to know how all this ends. The West encouraged Putin by not intervening when Crimea was annexed back in 2014. Lack of finance and parts may stall the Russian war machine eventually but even then will Ukraine ever truly regain control of its complete territory. Such an ending would be humiliating for Putin. It would probably take the West bombing Russia to end the war in a blunt fashion or the world if Moscow used its nuclear arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,525 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Agree that it's unpredictable what happens. The war could be over in 2-3 months or drag on well into 2023. It's difficult to assess where the war goes from here and how much progress the Ukrainians can make. It doesn't look like though that Ukraine are in any humour to settle for Russia keeping possession of Kherson and Mariupol (Crimea is a different story).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It seemed that Ukraine would be annihilated in the Spring, now it looks so different.

I remember listening to Ukrainian guys leaving Ireland to fight and feeling sorry that they were doing something so noble but so hopeless. Now it seems that with the equipment they’ve got from the West it’s very unlikely Ukraine can be defeated. But it’s hard to see how it might end.

Things should be a bit clearer when the Kherson front is resolved. If UA fail at Kherson it will be a long war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I have to admit, I feared the worse for Ukraine when we seen the Russian convoys approaching Kiev at the start, and I also feared that much of the Ukranian army would be annexed, captured or killed east of Kiev.

The Ukranians have really suprised me on how much of a defense they have put up against the Russian invaders.

When you see Russian trolls and the like celebrating small gains in the east and their proclamations that Russia are winning because they have taken 20% of Ukrainian territory, then you know the Russians truly are struggling.

It is hard to see how this all ends, I would like to see the Russians fully expelled from Ukraine, but I really cant see this happening in the short term at all, I think this may drag out for a long time yet.

It's unclear if we will ever see a fight for Crimea. If Ukraine could drive Russia back to the February 24th borders, they could well be in the humour for some form of ceasefire (and this would be a huge defeat for Russia - they've made much of the taking of Kherson and Mariupol).

Russian propaganda seems to becoming increasingly desperate. The fact that a HIMARS system weighs 16 tons appears to have escaped them :

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If Ukraine push back to the pre February lines at any decent pace then why would they then stop? Other than not wanting to be the country in "power" over a region which is rebelling against you.

There could be a good reason to stop at those lines and let Russia deal with the rebellion in the opposite direction, but likely with their hands tied by some UN ceasefire resolution that they have to withdraw all military from the contested areas and Ukraine then stops pushing back past the February lines.

Russia then gets to claim they have won in keeping those areas despite getting kicked out of them as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Then the sanctions and charges for damages done continue until the west decides they want gas and oil again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I know the societies are totally different, but it seems likely that Russian deaths in Ukraine are already around 1/2 of US deaths in Vietnam, from a much smaller population in a far shorter time frame.

Of course Russians probably don’t know how badly it is going, but at a higher level they must see it has been a total disaster. There was a lot of talk about off ramps a few months ago, they’d surely like one now, but probably quite unlikely one will be available.

Maybe they have a lift/escalator in that building?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

Well there is a way out for Russia but it's much more likely that the minimum gain in Ukraine has not yet been achieved nor is Putin capable of admitting failure. They have secured a warm water port already and have shown the world how badly trained and equipped their army is. The larger issue for Russia is internal and how Putin sells a deal with Zelensky/Ukraine considering the level of propaganda/narrative on Nazis and "Banderas".

The other problem is Russia's international commitments aren't worth the paper they are written on. Ukraine might agree to cede Crimea but any deal will be extremely difficult to sell for one side and nobody will trust Putin. Russia massively overplayed their hand.

• Advertisement

If this is confirmed, them ruskies will have to put their running shoes on 😀

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement