Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭furrybones

I was in a similar position. I did the interview, got a great batch OOM, and then heard nothing for a while. I was concerned that I wouldn't hear anything before the panel expired, but a colleague of mine who is in the CS for years was/is adamant that once you get interviewed for a position then you will be placed from this panel. Sure enough I was placed last month.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭divillybit

Well done furrybones. Hope you're happy with the position you've been assigned. There has been some movement in my case too and after much consideration I've accepted an EO position and start in a few weeks. It'll be a big change for me but a change is as good as a rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭furrybones

Oh that's brilliant! Well done you.

I am very happy where I am, lots to learn- but sure there's lots to learn in any new job.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jmd1234

Hi

I’ve scored OOM 112 for Meath for EO 22, do I stand a chance in being called for an interview?

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9 abcdefg7890

Could anyone tell me what oom westmeath got to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Janey mack..... Well done👏

I would say you have a good chance of being called

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jmd1234

Thank you, really hoping I get called but I’m unsure of how many they will be recruiting for Meath. I’ve Dublin too but was hoping not to commute

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kass20

I'm awaiting my interview results but I got my scores for stage 1 of the 2022 comp and I'm in the top 200! I'm hoping to get placed from this comp but I'm very happy with that result. 2022 was my third time doing the EO tests. They never even reached my OOM the first time I did it back in 2018.

To all my fellow people still hanging in there with this 2020 competition best of luck! And if you didn't make it I hope you're happier with your 2022 results. If not, commiserations, I've been there but they always come around again. Practicing those tests the weekend before made a huge difference for me. You can always improve. And look out for those internal promotions, they usually don't involve tests, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

well done, they are great results. I hope your interview went well. Is the interview a big jump up from CO interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Kass20

Thanks! The interview was structured similarly to the CO one. There were two interviewers and each one asked questions related to a specific competency. While I felt the CO one was definitely easier, the EO one is not bad at all. Just remember, they want you to demonstrate that you will be a good manager so when you're preparing your examples for each competency bear that in mind. Keep refering back to the competency booklet to make sure you're framing your examples around the indicators under each one. The STAR technique is useful as well (Situation/Task, Action (you took), Result).

I was interrupted more in the EO one, and if that happens don't be put off by it, they only have a limited time to cover everything. They may interrupt you because you've sufficiently answered the question and they need to move on or they may interrupt you to hone in on something but it's to give you the opportunity to give your best answer. Try to be as precise as you can in your examples. Get straight ot the point of what you did and what you achieved, use 'I' a lot and just take any interruptions in your stride. They're not looking to trip you up!

I did have a moment or two were I had to gather my thoughts before I answered which didn't happen in the CO one but overall I felt positive about the experience. The interviewers were very good at putting me at ease. Once you can get talking on a point you will feel more confident and it flies by!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm OOM 130's for Kildare 2022 competition and was 230's for 2020 competition. Hoping I'll get an interview after etray this time but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of EO jobs in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SD2019

Hi all, for those in Limerick for the Open &/or Interdepartmental streams wondering how far up the OOM they went in calling for stage 2 in 2020?

My first time going for EO and I've gotten in 40s for inter and 90's for open. Wondering how slim my chances are

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kerry gold

Hi all, what is the pass mark for the interview? Is it 40 or 50 percent per competancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CA1990

Hi All

Current CO applied for the EO and ranked 146 Galway external and 54th interdepartmental. Firstly wondering if those scores good ranked way higher for CO comp. The second question is I am only 18 months in the dept and I was told at time of application to tick interdepartmental as by the time panel runs it course I would be two years in.. just worried now my interdepartmental rank will be disallowed

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

As per the application notes, the two years service must have been completed by the closing which was 2nd June. That applies to all interdepartmental competitions

I thought as much , is 146 a good score , so new to this and it's a minefield of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

You should be ok for Galway... It's not an exact science by any means

Thank you 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Have you any TCO experience as this can add to your service?

• Advertisement

No I unfortunately don't have TCO experience. I have a level 8 qualification and my work experience to date as CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭redmarie

Probably a silly question but did anyone do their interview on laptop using earphones? Was the sound okay? Ive no one to mind my kids during interview so trying to think of ways to minimise noise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kerry gold

Hi, it probably better to send email query first in relation to earphones,

What location are you being interviewed for?

I didn't think there was much time left on this panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I wore a headset for my CO interview about a year ago and there was no issue. I just wanted to be sure I would be able to hear them clearly. I don't think it would be an issue, but you could ask at the beginning of the interview.

Thanks, thats also my worry that i wont be able hear them correctly

Thanks, tipperary. Have you had interview yet?

Thanks, tipperary. Have you had interview yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vivrelaf

Would you know if the interdepartmental tests are the same tests as the external/Am a co and really dislike the role I am in /missed out on the numerical by 7 marks!!

second question can I take a secondments after probation is up /very tempting to jump ship and go to HSE but do enjoy flexi hours and I have a very short commute/Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

You should be able to apply through mobility to move

As far as I know Interdepartmental is an application form & formal interview

Advertisement