Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's the thing, I think many of the general forums are doing fine as far as Ireland-only, niche forums go. Like I spend most of my time in a handful of gaming forums, films and TV, and all of those are ticking over relatively nicely. The small community aspect where you know most of the regulars is one of the best things about boards, and that hasn't gone away even if the numbers have decreased. Even with the fall-off post Vanilla, they're ticking along.

But there definitely needs to be an understanding that it's never going to be Reddit. In an ideal world, Boards would be a community-run operation rather than a for-profit enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

A community run Boards, ie, how it all started in 1998, will be only way it'll survive over time. Forgive me as these are people's jobs, but it can't sustain/doesn't need a CEO, and it likely can't sustain salaried staff, insurance, an office, rent, overheads, and the likes. It's at its best when it's a small/medium community based forum discussion site, ran by community driven administrators (like it used to be before it needed to be profitable.)

It might be ticking along, after somehow surviving the disastrous Vanilla move that looked like it was causing a complete exodus of users by the day, but it's a sinking ship as long as it needs to generate revenue. The Talk-To section is almost dead now, greatly reduced in scope - nocompanies don't seem to see Boards as a commercial opportunity nowadays like they used to. Users are switching to ad blockers by the day because of how badly ads have been implemented here too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Things seem to have picked up here over the last month or so, but as busy as it once was but not as bad in the immediate wake of the change over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Speaking of Vanilla, has Boards shat the bed for anyone else today?

Yep, it's even more dysfunctional today than normal. No more quick access menus working. I'm sure the contracted developer will figure it out, then send the pull request off to Vanilla in Canada, who'll read it and review it in 6/8 hours given the time difference, and then push the fix for us sometime by tomorrow....

Ok I jest, but it's not far off!

• Advertisement

On the bright side, the desktop issues almost make the phone version seem competent for once - if it weren’t for the whole random reset craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd love to see a community run Boards.ie alternative as this Vanilla thing is $hite. But imagine trying to get bulk amounts of people to use something else after Boards being around for decades! Maybe when it actually dies on its arse something will pop up, or people will just use Facebook more :0(

I have a number of .ie domain names ready to donate to the cause if it ever happens :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I currently have Sega.ie which I'm looking to do something with, new Sega forum? 😁

Master of the Universe

The place is owned solely by Odhran these days? wow, I just thought he had taken over as the CEO, didn't think he actually owned the whole place.

That's some fall from grace from the height of the Daft days when they invested over a million in the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's my understanding of it anyway, although it's very possible there are others who own some of it. There is still 'Boards Software Ltd' but I personally don't who has any stake in it beyond Odhran ATM.

See here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058143719/changes-at-boards-ie

• Advertisement

Any idea why Adverts is inundated with gaming chairs at the minute? It looks like somewhere had a sale and everyone has decided to try flip them at the same time.

Public service announcement — CeX are shower of cowboys, had another big-ticketish item cancelled and am now starting to get paranoid my orders are alerting them to games' real value and they're all like "**** that guy."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

While their staff are idiots, I was going to say they wouldn't do anything malicious but then I remembered the staff member who double scanned stuff he was selling in to make more money so it wouldn't surprise me if one or two people working there were clued in on the retro scene. There's definitely some shady personal gain stuff going on in small numbers at least.

Don't blame the workers when you can blame the corporation. CeX as a retail entity is an actively sinister presence in the market, taking advantage of consumer desperation and inexperience for obscene profit. Their carry-on during the next-gen launch - adding hundreds to the price of consoles - was a perfect example of their absolutely shameless and indeed shameful behaviour.

Yeah, have no doubt there was a policy thing in my case. I bought Folklore off their site for 55, was cancelled saying out of stock and then reappeared on the site soon after for 62. I actually bit at 62 as well, but the order was cancelled again. Having a similar issue with Dawn of Sorrow at the minute, not reappeared yet though.

Yes, thrice fooled.

It's a combination of almost total ineptitude, with possibly a small cohort of chancer employees gazumping the valuable stuff I'd say.

Their customer service has a brilliant habit of replying just before 5, anyone want to take the bet as to what time they clock off?

I'd complain if I'd didn't pull that trick myself a billion times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Pricing is outsourced to a team in India based on supply and demand and current market pricing. It's done done every Monday from what I remember.

If your order was cancelled it's likely when the shop went to pick it they either couldn't find the disc, couldn't find the box (regularly misplaced or stolen from the shelf) or the disc was in bits and the cleaning machine was out of order (cleaning pads, paste or the chip counter are regularly on back order). If it wasn't picked I believe some of the reasons on the system don't adjust stock off automatically, if it has to be adjusted it's investigated and effects their weekly numbers. Anything taken out of their sales reduces their staff hours for the next week as it's a percentage of the previous week sales. Shops want the hours and will do what they can to not get a refund (I don't mean not wanting to refund people, but do their best to fulfill orders, keep stock accurate etc). If a staff member did want to keep it for themselves it would be sold that day at the end of their shift. I know I certainly didn't let stuff sit around for a few days if I wanted it.

It's more noticeable with retro or niche stuff. If a box/disc is damaged for a game with 2+ in stock they'll still have a backup to pick, if the shop can't pick it then it automatically goes to the next shop in the list. If there's only 1 copy in the whole company then it would be cancelled.

If the price went up in the time between ordering and the shop processing it they would need to contact e-commerce central to create a new payment voucher as the original one would no longer be enough but that would be rare and wouldn't be a reason to cancel it.

Long post, just thought I'd explain the pricing aspect of it!

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've bought/sold some devices and high value games with them in recent years.

The NI stores accept a lot more retro than RoI branches do.

I brought in a brand new phone and was told it wasn't mint because I merely opened it.

I bought a mint device and found it was most certainly opened and used and put back in the box.

Selling some titles, still in the wrapper, they used the pettiest things to claim it wasn't mint, definitely didn't enjoy the experience.

Still, it was quick money for stuff I hadn't played in years.

Bananas money too for awful games, Courier Crisis on the Saturn is going for crazy money these days, no idea why

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Spotted this on in a CRT group on Facebook.

https://github.com/cjuniorfox/retropie-crt

Basically allows you to connect a raspberry pi to a HDMI to analog video converter at the appropriate resolution to play RetroPie on a CRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just read all about boards fiasco.

Really do wonder what will happen in a few years....eBay is rife with scams, laundering and is just a **** time, forums are dying. Facebook collectors groups from what I've seen are usually dull or just regular cesspools.

Where are people moving to? Discord serves? Telegram groups?

This is the only forum I am on daily now really. I do miss frequently going to lots of sites but my time to post and browse pretty limited sice I had kids etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't stand the likes of Reddit, Discord or Facebook groups etc. It's just an echo chamber with the loudest people and most populist opinions getting boosted.

What's the deal with Telegram. Wary of it as it seems to be the preferred choice for Russians as it's the only place they haven't been kicked off.

My only experience of Telegram comes via work and it appears to be the place to be if you want to learn of all the latest scams and grifts.

Still have no idea what the site is actually for, mind you.

Master of the Universe

Telegram is great for news and sales groups and a bit of chat, but it's not the same as a forum.

Forums almost feel like mini wikipedias you can go mining for years old information in. All these modern platforms have a real transient feel to them, you wouldn't be reading anything on them older than a week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel old saying it but I much prefer the forum format. Just seems like a better place for discussion. I do use twitter a bit but again it's transient and there's too many idiots that like Legend of Dragoon on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Discord is grand for chit chat crap but useless for anything else.

Forums are brilliant as a searchable source of information, where proper tutorials and information can be shared and (most) people tend to write proper like with full spelling etc rather that txt spk shite. Would be a real shame to lose that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

@Sparks43 has set up a Discord for here but think it'd be more for playing online together, would be handy to use for that.

I do like having the forum though. I'm on everything a bit and swap around all the time. I don't post as much as I used to but still like to see stuff even if I see it posted on IG or Twitter as well

Just discovered Yakuza: Dead Souls is still up on the PS3 online store for €20. Half-ropey game by all accounts, but a more palatable price compared to what the physical version is commanding these days as the series’ popularity grows and demand grows for the older stuff.

I beat it last year. It's biggest flaw is repetition as when you have to enter the infected zone you do so the same way every time which gets annoying. Combat isn't great either. But it has that crazy Yakuza charm and some of the side quests were laugh out loud funny.

• Advertisement

It's on the Zero/Kiwami/5 engine, right? I can't imagine it handling that poorly compared to the ragdolly nature of the Dragon engine. Nice to have it in the back pocket anyways, it's getting expensive.

Advertisement