Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash is important

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

right, so not actually adding anything in particular then. just finger pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

We seen with the lockdowns and the covid rules about how far you can go, wear a mask here but not here that some people are very happy to hand over control and let others dictate what they can do.

Canada showed what exactly can happen in a cashless society when the government froze the access the truckers protestors had to their own cash. If that is not an eye opener I don't know what is.

It's always good to have a cash back up, anyone caught up in the IT issues with ulster Bank a few years ago will know all about not being able to access their funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I run a mobile business. I own a small card machine and find it very useful. However, because some of my customers are elderly and others live in complete reception black spots, going completely cashless would be impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A cashless society would remove a lot of petty crime in one swoop. That's an upside.

The only downside is if it is assumed that no one's financial dealings are completely above board i.e they prop up their income from somewhere else, crime related or not.

I do not think we'll be still using cash in 20 years time. The transition will be very quick I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Criminals will use anonymised transfers and/or illegal currencies.

Joe Soap will have no financial privacy.

With inter-linked databases you could enslave people by instantaneously freezing their assets. Already begun in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

That's supposedly their plan, but they'll only say, ah don't be a conspiracy theorist. Or label you as public enemy no 1

I've stocked up myself for the winter, a lot of tinned food etc and have a stock of camping gas lamps candles battery packs.

I've access to lakes, river's and the ocean isn't too far from me, I know where to catch winter specie's, spring summer and autumn. I can catch bass up until Christmas time handy enough. There's more than enough coalfish, flounder's , whiting, codling around the coast during the winter for anyone to try their hands at fishing.As for bass and the cod I don't fish and tell.

And if it doesn't happen at least I'll have the options to get out there and embrace the bountiful ocean and Im fishing 40 year's now and have an idea where they go at certain times of year. Watercraft is handy too .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If society collapsed to the extent that there is no more food in the shops & power stations aren't running, do you really think that anyone is going to be interested in accepting your little coloured pieces of paper for exchange?

From the many recent threads about cash vs cashless, I can see that some people an unusual affinity for cash, but some of the scenarios proposed by the pro-cash side are unhinged...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If it got to that point, I bet you think the card terminals will still work and Tesco will deliver online orders.

During economic crisis, cash has always been the preferred form of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I totally agree, i got kin a bit of a tangle here a couple of years ago by insisting that "cash is king"

me WRONG no big surprise there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

if i lose my wallet and phone then i can still pay with my watch. When i travel i stick one of my credit cards in the safe so that i have a back up. Even then i have to lose both my wallet and phone to have no option to pay. If you only pay cash then you only have to lose your wallet.

I never really understand this argument. I have to lose three different items to not have the ability to pay. you only have to lose one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ever had to ring the central bank to cancel your cash because it has been stolen? It’s surprising the number of people who keep their cards in their phone wallet. If you have to cancel your card (not many have multiple credit cards I suspect, I have only one myself), and have no cash, then it’s the dishes and a pair of marigolds for you.

Also, who carries around all their holiday cash in their wallet if there is a safe in the room?

Personally I don’t think it should be electronic only, and I don’t like people like you who think that everyone should conform just because you do so easily. I’m not a conspiracy theorist who thinks someone is always watch me, but I do want to retain autonomy on what method I use to spend my money.

Explain that response more coherently, you just launched in like a bat out of hell lol

Or else you're responding to someone else, obviously you're annoyed with the people who see the benefits of having cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I dont think we should get rid of cash. If you see that anywhere in my post can you point it out.

Also, who carries around all their holiday cash in their wallet if there is a safe in the room?

You have to carry all that cash on you until you get to the hotel.

Ever had to ring the central bank to cancel your cash because it has been stolen?

No, i rang my own bank when my wallet was stolen and since my card was cancelled immediately it meant i lost no money.

My entire post was just saying i don't understand this argument. I have 4 methods of paying for stuff whereas if you only use cash then you only have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

"tinned food", "candles", "gas lamps", "battery packs" - why do you think that you will be forced to subsist on tinned & foraged food? Who do you think is out to get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the moral of the story is that a bit of both is the best option.

I use cards/cashless as much as possible but always have a few Euro in cash on me or at least know where an ATM is.

I think these people who like to tell us how much we don't need cash anymore, or how long it was since they used cash, or how they refuse to use cash only businesses are just trying to tell us how hip and modern they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

Ever get the cash that was stolen from your wallet back from the central bank?

I also don't think it should be electronic only, people should have the choice. I choose not to use cash but I couldn't care less about what others want to do. Likewise, a business has the right to be cashless so people shouldn't complain then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Got to agree. I don't mind using the card but it is way to convenient to use and I find it is very easy to overspend. On nights out now I bring the amount of cash that I am going to spend that night and I leave the wallet with the cards back at the car. I have heard the horror stories of lads going for a night out and waking up the next day and checking their account and nearly dying when they see how much they spent.

Cashless society is all fine and dandy in the good times of peace and prosperity.

What scares me is the global cyberwars and in particular China and Russia. What if they somehow managed to corrupt the system rendering all the balances invalid? It would be nice to have a physical, tangible system "just in case". A Plan B.

It's a bit foolish to scoff at people who prepare for the worst. They look crazy until they don't. A year ago many smart people would have scoffed at the idea that Russia would start a war and invade Ukraine. War in Europe was supposed to be history.

The point is, we have no idea what the future might bring. Personally I have a quiet admiration for people who plan ahead like that. Far more admiration than the toilet roll panic buyers!

Sounds like you're out to get me lol I'm just someone who's always prepared, teach someone to fish,save and grow, he'll feed himself for life.

I often hop into my campervan and head to remote places, set up for a few days and I love it. Surf, hiking, and fishing gear in the back,

Have you a wild ferral streak in you, a bit of fresh air and hardship is good for the soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Go away your annoying me, its called jealousy...

That's it, I'm off to the coast of Kerry... you drove me to it, I've had enough. Off to Inch beach for the surf and fish, and no I'm not giving you free rent in my head as I drive off into the mist. And I'll drive down to Killimer and get that ferry across. You know that ferry you like, well I'm going without you...

Actually you can come if you like, I'll wait lol I've a spare bodyboard and a wetsuit if you're interested 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The first argument you hear from the totally cashless brigade is dirty cash, illegality and tax evasion.

There was massive fear that the COVID virus could be carried on cash. It seems this fear was unjustified and cash was show not to be a really effective carrier of the virus.

Illegal activity will still continue. If anything the risk outweighs of having serious losses with cashless are much higher than with cash.

The tax evasion argument is flawed as well. There will always be ways to avoid tax. More tax is avoided by being in a company or sole trader type activity that paying local barber, chipper or small mechanic in cash.

Last year my niece got her BMW serviced in a BMW garage. Only oil and filters it cost over 500 euro. This year she bought the filters and oil herself and went to a local small mechanic it cost her about 180 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There will be other ways around tax, crypto currencies and various online bank accounts that revenue may not be aware of.

The idea that tax is only for tax evaders or that removing cash will remove tax evasion is nonsense. Most tax evasion happens through creative accounting anyways - have we all forgotten garlic man?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Except I'm not talking about a collapse of society but a temporary downage of electronic banking, which has happened both in Canada and Ireland already.

Little coloured pieces of paper would be very useful in such a scenario.

I suppose people would have to trade signed IOUs instead. So paper currency, of a kind, would spontaneously re-emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

the notion we should inconvience the population because of criminals is a bizarre one but it's a trend in Ireland and the west,

Making laws - like minimum alcohol pricing - to punish the population for what a minoirty get up too

this moving to digital should concern everybody - the proposed CBDCs are programmable money like fss - if that does give you a shiver then you are naïve or just the mindset of a serf

Your wallet and phone get robbed on a weekend in X location on holiday , or you just loose one or your phone breaks…wtf do you do? you need to buy food, drinks, settle hotel bill… cashless isn’t practical, or pragmatic.

The same thing that you do, when your wallet full of cash gets stolen and you've no way of extracting more from an ATM. Only I'm not down whatever few hundred I had on me at the time, cos I can put a freeze on my account before any damage is done. Who are you gonna ring about the eight €50 notes you had in your wallet that are now gone? Also, how do you buy food, drinks, settle the hotel bill with no way of getting more cash? With a big wad of notes that you left in the hotel room? Really? You're advocating carrying your entire two weeks' spending money with you in cash form, and think that's safer, somehow, than using a card?

it should be illegal to refuse legal tender under a certain amount.

It IS illegal, today, to refuse legal tender for ALL amounts. Has been for years. The issue is that it's only illegal when settling a debt. If you agree to get work done on your house and he refuses cash as payment, then he's out of pocket. If you walk into a shop and try to buy a mars bar, then there's no contract or debt involved, so they can refuse.

Cash isn't going anywhere. It will always be king. But anyone refusing to acknowledge the benefits of some transactions going cashless is a paranoid luddite who needs to get with the times. There are huge positive implications for everyone involved when you're able to tap or transfer electronically.

Levels of poverty will ensure cash will continue - many people get paid cash in hand - that won’t end any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

That is not a conspiracy theory, it is a fact. Just listen to what Agustin Carstens, head of the Bank of International Settlements, also known as the Central Bank of Central Banks, had to say about cash and the introduction of CBDC in 2020. A quick google search brought this short video up.

It's less than a minute long. In it he says that with cash, they have no knowledge or control over who spends cash, but with the introduction of CBDC they will have absolute control and the technology to enforce this. Now maybe some people are happy with this, for whatever reason. But as others have pointed out earlier this is a double edged sword. Take for example if another lockdown was to be brought in and the government decided that people could only travel for 2km, so it would be easy for them to say that your card is only valid for transactions in a 2km radius of your home.

Or maybe, for health reasons, they say that you can only buy a small amount of certain foods like meat, or decide that people should eat meat substitutes like insects instead. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/09/sustainable-food-alternative-proteins/. Or let's say that the government is lobbied by someone who sets up a plant making such meat substitutes and pays the government to decrease people's access to locally grown meat. Then they decrease people's ability to buy this, but say hey you can buy these substitutes instead. So people are controlled in what they are allowed to buy because of backhanders and lobbying.

Or maybe they decide that alcohol should be rationed, so you are only allowed to buy a sixpack, a naggin of spirits or one bottle of wine a month as anything more is unhealthy?

Now like I said, maybe there are some people here that are more than happy with that, but I'd wager that the majority are not, and if the argument was presented to them in this way they would reject it.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

They're not examples. They're fantasy. You just pulled them out of your hole.

Advertisement