Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

"easy enough to find on twitter". That's not a solid argument though. You aren't moving on, you are just dropping the subject as you can't back up what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Jesus guys, how you have any appetite for discussing this sh1te on the Bank Holiday Monday after a festival is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Shank Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Great weekend, I'll do a proper post with highlights etc tomorrow.

Only gripe was the lack of water stations around the place. Took real effort to find one at times. Food prices also, slightly taking the piss, think i paid 18 quid for a chicken burger and chips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

hey, I wasn't there but read the apology on FB - don't use Twitter.. just looking for facts..

i'm still none the wiser...

What do you need to know? If you raise any questions whatsoever on trans issues, then you get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

AaA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The woman literally advocate form and runs conversion therapy. That’s rather more involvement than ‘asking questions’.

That seems like a proper read, thanks for providing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Went down on Saturday evening to see Nick Cave. No issues getting in, a bit of a trek from the car park alright but shur what can you do.

There was a lovely atmosphere around the place. Saw a few bits and pieces, Sorcha Richardson was great, caught ten mins of Neil Delamare, and the Singalong Social was great craic. The New Brass Kings were good fun too.

Nick Cave though - I still can't find the words to describe how amazing it was. I was right near the front - the intensity from him was something else. "He's f**king terrifying" a woman next to me said. Hard to disagree. 64 years of age and to have that level of energy and intensity. They hadn't played for three weeks prior which probably helped. So many highlights from the set, among them From Her to Eternity, Bright Horses, the heart breaking I Need You, Jubilee Street - and Warren hogging the limelight for a bit :D In fact I could have listed every song as a highlight, it was a terrific setlist. It was probably the best live performance I've ever seen. Stunning.

as in, what was said that caused offence/created an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

What a weekend! Highlights for me were CMAT, Gilla Band, Rival Consoles, Christian Loffler, King Gizzard and Underworld. Honey Dijon and DJ Koze were unbelievable as well for a boogie later in the night and that was possibly the best Sing Along Social I've ever been to. Definitely agree that food prices were a bit crazy, husband spent 19euro one of those Beyond burgers and chips at one point! Berlin Kebab up near the Ferris Wheel was a big hit though. Think I preferred the 360 approach to Arcadia in 2019. Was raging Sherelle didn't make it but these things happen. Loved the app over the weekend, found it great for the notifications etc.

Sunday night I'd got back to the tent about half three and I could hear it in the distance but maybe some of you were there, what stage/who the hell was playing Madonna and Justin Timberlake 4 minutes?? Why finish up the whole festival with that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Yeah, take it to Current Affairs. Music, dancing, craic and giving out about food prices here only please 😁

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Yeah I paid 14 quid for the worst burrito I’ve ever had in my life :/ my own fault for not having lunch before I set off and saying to myself “I’ll get something down there”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

The dumplings places was really nice, but yes all food was pretty pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Yeah, pretty sure they were. I was near the front and they had the smoke machine running strong but from what I could see they weren’t even lip synching that well.

of course I could be wrong but that’s what I thought.

• Advertisement

At the risk of coming across as the most sensible anorak ever - expect price gouging and prepare accordingly. I spent a grand total of €44 at the festival - and that included Thursday, and a breakfast at Pitt Bros on Saturday morning! 😄 Just bring down some grub with you, and limit your custom to the best of the food trucks – it’ll help raise all boats and curtail silly pricing. Though I imagine the festival overhead for the retailers is pretty onerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

According to a review in the examiner, the capacity was 35,000.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40930871.html

Is that accurate?! I thought capacity was circa 22k and it certainly felt smaller than 35k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

It was 22k plus 2,000 performers, guests, staff etc as per Waterford planning application

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had a great weekend, maybe seen less than I should've as I was weekend volunteering, but had a very pleasant time. Found getting around gruelling sometimes, the walk from main campsite to arena, when you hit the arena its like a straight curving hill before you get by the yellow and black tent (Looks like it was related to the Terminus tent from EP but smaller).

Highlights: Because I was working from 2 - 10 pm on Friday didn't catch much acts but did catch a bit of the Gilla Band who were brilliant and totally nutty, their music reminded me of the bee buzzing guitars of Sonic Youth's Death Valley 69 period. a caught a few other things on Friday but will have to check timetable when I properly scribe for my review. Nick Cave was splendid as per usual, more than music a true artist, Groove Armada I enjoyed but felt their set was short and too much attention on new material rather than concentrating on some of their classics.

My mate found Cave a bit too croony at times and I went with him at some point to the big tent and caught Floating Points who was superb. Denise Chalia put on a great set on the Sunday and caught a bit of King Gizzard... who were rather excellent, Murder Capital lively enough and Underworld who were excellent as usual. Some of the Monday early hours spent at Arcadia and the small tent which had some exceptional techno banging. A great weekend.

Edit: Jaysus forgot to mention I met Rubick and his other half Desk Tidy on the Sunday at the info point I was working at in the main arena, so it was good to meet them.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Absolutely savage weekend..nailed it organisation wise. Traffic management almost felt like overkill given how so many people arriving early spread the load throughout the day.

Highlights Gizz, cave, rival consoles i'd a great spot for GA and loved every bit of it. Ping pong disco was great craic all weekend and hope that crew are involved again.

Critiques very small ones.. once again the look and visuals of the AVA stage was greatly oversold..It was cool with the sphere lights etc. but no algorithym projections etc.

Food was limited and pricey

Diageos stamp on the place was noticeable but not overboard and hopefully it doesn't get worse if this festival grows bigger. But free flow booze I suppose it does feel less forced on you

It remains an awful shame there isn't more by the house especially at night.

The bug was way better and not as much a downgrade than I was expecting. But afterburner or spider for next year thanks :D

There needs to be more variety after midnight, it's all electronic and DJ sets which is fine but even the most keen of us needs a break.

A year with soft ground and that carpark will cause serious problems

The sound even for a tent in the SKOW tent was poor.

On a far less serious not..We all need to dress up more, I'm in my late thirty's and at fault for this as much as any but I think we need to put an effort in to distract ourselves from how old generally the demographic is.

But all in all an amazing weekend.

Highlights:

Enola Gay

Jinx Lennon

DOD at the Bandstand

Mary Wallopers

Sing Along Social

New Jackson

Rival Consoles

Acid Granny

Ping Pong Disco in general

Strange Boy

Christian Löffler

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Didn’t meet my expectations:

Floating Points (could have been me)

Underworld (could have been me - preferred 2018 performance)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

One of the most well organised festivals I've been to. Stuff just worked. No hassle getting in the way of a good weekend. Also in general you could just feel it was a really, really good vibe overall - the sense of folks being long overdue a proper festival and determined to just be happy and sound.

Food was pricey but when you consider how much extra basics are in your local supermarket and the extra cost of fuel at the moment it's fair enough.

Bars were reasonable and queues were light enough.

In no particular order...

CMAT is a star.

Underworld was intensity itself.

Claire Beck in the Schweppes tent on Sunday was the afternoon festival recovery bop I've missed so much.

Denise Chaila needs to stop with the chat between every bloody song. The self-indulgent cringe sucks the energy out of the place. Pity because the music is good fun.

Heidi was brilliant on Friday night at Arcadia.

Flight Facilities was great - just an honest to goodness Saturday night DJ set.

Floating Points really didn't hit the mark for me.

Jungle need to be informed to turn up the bass.

Big shout out to Jess Kavanagh who was an absolute superstar singing Prince & Kate Bush with Glasshouse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

"Diageos stamp on the place...."

Are you sure Diageo paid for all the Rockshore promotions? Because having limited other pint options all weekend, I sampled a few Rockshores, and I'd be pretty sure that it was all a negative advertising campaign by their competitors or drink aware to make sure that 20k people never touched another drop of Rockshore again!

On the food, an honourable mention goes to the Wok n' Roll stand. Normally they just sell nasty overpriced noodles, but at ATN they had a very good chicken skewer and rice box for a tenner. A full sized meal for 40% less than others were charging for smaller portions (I'm looking at you Kerala). And the pizza place charging like €22 for a pizza - jaysus lads!

Agree with all other comments - great weekend, well organised, superb Nick Cave, King Gizzard, CMAT, Dry Cleaning, Altered Hours etc.

The Mary Wallopers should be obliged to play every Irish festival from now on, whether they want to or not. Absolutely perfect gig for the fest!

What a brilliant, brilliant festival.

Sterling organisation and not a Johno to be seen.

Friday night saw Trinity Orchestra, Gemma Dunleavy, Self Esteem, Jungle, Glla Band, Crazy P Soundsystem and Al Gibbs.

Saturday started with the Pit Bros breakfast which I really didn't rate, then musically the day was brilliant, Glasshouse, Mary Wallopers, Sing Along Social, Shame, Nick Cav and the Bad Seeds.

By this point I had drank myself out of contention some what and was falling around the place incoherently during Floating Points so my girlfriend suggested politely it was probably best if I went to bed, a request to which I acquiesced.

Sunday contained Blindboy, Rufus Wainwright, CMAT, Christian Loffler, George Fitzgerald, Underworld and DJ Koze.

Only gripes were the food was poor. Her Indoors paid € 90 for two tickets for the Pit Bros thing which I really didn't rate. Got a Mexican burrito the first night which literally burst through the wrapper and destroyed my favourite yellow sesh jacket with grease.

The Korean chicken burger next to where Blind Boy was speaking on Sunday was probably the nicest thing I ate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

"my girlfriend suggested politely it was probably best if I went to bed, a request to which I acquiesced."

🤣

I am reminded, @[Deleted User], very much of the ludes-driving-scene-memories from Wolf of Wall Street.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement