Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Absolutely no need for comments about his personal life like this, he’s still an amateur sportsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

There was no story about his personal life.

There were rumours 3-4 yearsago about joining Vincents when they were top dog but presumably KC are now top dog and having won all round them underage last few years they are well placed to dominate with Vins almost relegated to intermediate and Ballymun ageing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Kilkerrin would be wise not to fight it too hard. They can't make him play for them and if they burn their bridges he'll never return. Be far better off to shake his hand, thank him for everything and ask him to consider returning in the future. Keep him involved with having some coaching sessions with the underage kids. It's tough but everyone has a right to choose their own path and what's right for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It’s a wider issue for the GAA than this one transfer but teams buying All Ireland Clubs as Salthill did undercuts what the GAA is supposed to stand for. Not sure how it could be stopped as obviously there are genuine needs for transfers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

What does this have to do with anything? He stayed with Kilkerrin-C and almost single handedly dragged them to senior while recieving abuse from every team that came in contact with him. Look at the closing stages of the 2020 intermediate final, on YouTube, for a good example of what he had to put up with. I still don't think he should move but fcuk me he's done enough for k-c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Look it’s upto the player where he goes at the end of the day and, unfortunately, his club can do little about it.

it’s a tiny bit fishy in terms of the fact that Hibernia courses are majority online and he’d need to be in Dublin 1 Saturday a month, or something like that, but then again it’s his choice.

I would love to see the offer put in front of him and you’d imagine it, at least, includes free accommodation and some form of part time employment as no one is paying rent in Dublin to be there 1 day a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not particularly disappointed in him at all. Was just highlighting how he appears to be lying in order to force through a move away. Fair play to you for supporting his antics, well done, flick that collar and give yourself a big clap on the back before returning to your Mayo obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm 100% behind him, I actually think it might even improve him as a footballer and bring him to an even better level. Looking forward to Mayo panicking about him in the league and championship next year. Best to take him out of it after 5 minutes rather than leave it to half time like in last year's Connacht final which ye would never have won if he wasn't taken out of it. Sign of a class team alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Actually, paddy durcan has generally done fairly well on him in the past, but dont let that get in the way of your story.

At the end of the day, if he wants to go then he should probably be let. Other lads are able to transfer so why should he get different treatment just because he is better? They have no doubt offered him plenty. I for one hope he takes everything they are offering and more, and makes it work for him. If they get no luck out of it then even better - these superclubs target fellas at clubs like that and it is totally disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This completely goes against the ethos of the gaa. With so much talk of the new structure and how club is so important and that players are desperate to play for the local club and the lads they grew up with,not even a week after the final and a top player is using a loop hole to get a transfer to a competitive team.

Money talks I suppose! Amateur ethos my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

We will probably see even more of this now that the GAA inter-county season is being shortened - i could semi-understand it if he was like Chris Barrett, working and settled in Dublin and coming near the end of his county career, but I am sure Barrett would love to have been playing when Belmullet reached the senior county final last year. plus, Barrett joined a middle of the road club which realistically was at best scraping into the top 8 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Half the mayo team playing in Chicago this summer.... No different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Pretty sure you're not qualified to classify anyone else as 'class' considering your own behaviour, but if it keeps you happy work away. Doubt we'll be panicking too much up here, you seem to have a short memory about your own teams's recent failings so don't go worrying about ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Tell me about my behaviour please , is it where I call a spade a spade and ye can't cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

For once I agree with you P. The GAA is supposed to all about community. If a guy moves to a different part of the country for work etc then fine, because he's living there he's part of the community there. This however is imo very wrong and dangerous if the precedent is set. Shane Walsh is all mighty player and I love to watch him. Its great to have sports people on that level in our sport. But this stinks to high heaven. I can't see it being sanctioned in its current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

North American finals are played the first weekend of September, the divisional (Chicago, Boston, Philly etc) finals are played at least a week before that.

I believe that Mayo championship doesn't start until September anyway so most will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Surprised the fuss made over Shane Walsh decision. Very disappointed in their chairman to make this so public and basically try to back an amateur player into a corner in such a manner. If this had happened a few years ago I would of been less forgiving (again this is a young man with free will who can do whatever the **** he likes) but since the County/club split this has to be viewed correctly.

Shane Walsh is attending college AND living in Dublin.

Before club/County calendar split Shane like most County players rarely trained with their club. They would be released the week prior to a championship game for maybe a session. But they had intensive inter County training to the fore of all club activities.

So Shane has three choices.

Make a round trip two or three times a week up and down between Dublin and Galway. No fuel allowance. Nothing. Probably not much fun and a lot of wasted hours.

Not train as much. Drive down when he can. Play matches. No inter County training to fall back on. Basically a poor four months of half arsed effort.

Join a team in Dublin train regularly. Get the benefits of it. Maybe improve.

Shane being Shane he can't ask a club to let him join in for training as it's against the rules and being so high profile every kid in the parish will be on him and that word would get out and Shane plus club would be punished.

He could join one of those collective trainings for ex pats like the Mayo guys do but with it now off season for intercounty I doubt their is much desire for it. And if he found a few for a kickabout I doubt it would be up to scratch.

Pain for the club. I completely get that. Maybe because it's happened so often with my own club(granted not as high profile as someone like Shane) it doesn't surprise me anymore even if it still stings.

Post edited by Happyilylost on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Is he actually living in Dublin? If he is I can’t get the drama over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm fairness, if he's already living in Dublin and has been commuting up and down over the years, that changes things and it's a reasonable enough transfer request.

The article makes it sounds like his connection with Dublin is this online teaching course in which case I'd be fully supportive of the club stance

Not quite the same story some want to spin.

Well that's the end of Walsh in a Galway jersey then. If he can't travel back for the club then he can't travel back for county.

At least he went out in the Galway jersey on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hardly

Many players from west of the Shannon have played club in Dublin but still played for their county.

He said he can't travel for club so it'll be the same for county. Unless he is not being truthful..

He's been traveling back for county for the last 7 months....

He's not the first player to move clubs

He's not the first player to move clubs but continue with County

Not sure where this agenda is coming from but it seems a bit possessive of a amateur GAA club player.

Yeah be has and he's said thsts the reason for transferring to KC...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

If the lad is living and working in Dublin then the transfer is 100% OK in my book. I was under the assumption that he was still living Galway and was using a tenuous reason of an online course in the big smoke as his transfer reason. This kind of transfer has been done hundreds if not thousands of times and before. Just maybe not this high a profile. In any case case I'm sure himself and the entire Galway set up will be taking a break before gearing up for next year! Hoping to build on this year's progress. Will they push on or regress? It'll be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,188 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He didn't say he couldn't travel, of course he could travel. He said it takes its toll and I'm not sure how anyone could debate that. I wouldn't begrudge him not wanting to be travelling all year round. Doing it for the county for 7 months doesn't mean it's easy, or that the other months are easily done.

I do think that if he was playing for a senior club which was competing for honours in Galway, there's probably less chance he would look for a transfer. But that's not just because it's easier to motivate yourself when there's chance of success, big senior clubs also have more resources in terms of facilitating good quality training in Dublin, organizing travel, gym membership, some even have meals for them etc.

I think that's the only angle for potential criticism but I wouldn't hold it against him at all. Some people might say it shouldn't matter but the reality is several other factors have to be considered.

If your issue is with big clubs in Dublin getting stronger, then that's not a Walsh issue. That's up to the GAA to sort it out if it's a problem. I do think it's unfair on many others, be it players from that club, other Dublin/Leinster teams or teams competing for All Ireland clubs... The only thing I could think of is that there was an "exiles" team or two allowed to play in the Dublin county championship, something along the lines of a university team.

Advertisement