Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany needs a bailout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@brickster69

Well the only way i can see shortages in Ireland is if the UK cut Ireland's supply off. Hard to imagine that happening unless some major accident happened or something.

I wouldn't put anything past the current rabble on office.

@fly_agaric

It's a curious blind spot. Maybe it is unlikely, and I would have thought it to be more profitable for UK and EU to work together in the face of energy problems than begin some brand new rows over their gas supplies this winter, but so many low likelyhood but very damaging risks have been hitting us the last few years it makes one more nervous.

The UK is in this strange position of having lots of LNG import capacity but ever since Rough closed basically nowhere to store it. Apparently the undersea pipelines are exporting at full pelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think I'd read that somewhere alright, their terminals are being used now to take extra LNG and get gas into Europe to be ready (to extent that can be done) for this winter, but (like Ireland) they have no storage themselves. Continued co-operation would seem to make sense vs bun-fights over winter gas supplies that will really have Putin grinning ear to ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭brickster69

Rough is supposed to be open the winter, if it does or not is another matter. Currently they have leased storage in Holland for the winter and exporting loads to Europe at the moment.

Only problem i can see is if Norway totally stopped supply for some reason, but by doing that the two Norwegian gas fields would have to shut down because the pipeline from them only goes to the UK. Norway has ample supply of gas but the pipelines they have don't have a lot more capacity to do a whole lot more immediately. At the moment a lot of it is being sent to the UK and then they are shipping it elsewhere through it's system for them.

If the Eu started playing games and tried to force Norway to stop selling gas to the UK which they can't then no doubt Ireland would probably veto it for obvious reasons.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The proper nuclear power plant can solve All energy problems in Ireland ! The country perfectly fit for it ! No seismic activity,proper stone ground.No more crappy useless wind conditioners on front of people windows ! Solid and effective ! Plenty Cheap energy for cars,trains,manufacturing.

Inflation and general lack of confidence starting to hit retailers as sales drop by the biggest margin in 42 years.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

If there is a hard winter in Germany I don't believe the EU will sit by & not bring in measures to send gas there. Norway would be the obvious supplier, the problem then comes if there isn't enough slack in the supply position & the UK is run short, then obviously as we are the last in the chain & the UK will reduce what is sent here.

As you can't trust our Muppets to run anything, then it might get dodgy.

German politicians have dropped a right bollock putting all their eggs in one basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Maybe we can attach a generator to Eamon's bike.

Invest in a few million hamsters running 24 hours on those spinning wheels and a few cables running off them. Saying that Russia is probably the biggest exporter of hamsters so they have probably been sanctioned by now.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Thats the typical German attitude, there would be nothing more I'd love to see than the Germans take a kicking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I have a stanley superstar range all ran off turf heats radiator has oven and hot plate for cooking. Great job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I have to wonder about the Germans though, they're supposed to have a lot of recent experience with maniacal, genocidal dictators bent on world domination ... but they didn't see the danger in Putler until well beyond when it was too late.

Electric prices hit a new all time high in Germany in the middle of Summer. Up 1000% on the last decades average price.

- Camille Paglia

France up to 508/ MWH. What bad timing to shut half the reactors for maintenance

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

I don't believe Eirgrid, ESBN, SSE, BGE or the CRU actually measure this. Which is why it's highly disengenuous where we have seen loud cheers in the past about how X% of our electricity was generated entirely from renewables on a given day, completely ignoring the fact that this didn't mean we had the same X% of our dispatchable gas load powered off.

Most of our plants are combined cycle because typically they've been used as baseload plants, always on and always run at relatively high levels of load.

The other type of plant is a plain old open cycle, the gas is used to drive the turbine which then drives the generator. The gas turbine exhaust vents straight into the open atmosphere. However over half of the energy in the gas consumed is lost as heat blown straight out the chimney so typically only 30-40% of the energy in the gas ends up as usable electricity.

Combined cycle plants recover some of the heat from this exhaust to generate steam which then drives a steam turbine to generate additional power thus further increasing the overall efficiency. Typically 60-70% of the gas used is converted into electricity.

The problem we face with renewables is they're "lumpy" - in wind's case, it could be eerily calm now ahead of a storm force wind arriving in a few hours time but then grid demand drops quite significantly overnight causing a massive excess of energy on the grid. Even when it is windy, the wind is rarely steady, particularly in storms when it tends to be extremely gusty and the amount and intensity of wind varies widely from second to second. Similarly, with solar, the output of panels can vary significantly if the sun is constantly being covered and uncovered by passing cloud cover.

Eirgrid have to try and align the ability of wind to very suddenly generate huge quantities of electricity to demand, by trying to manipulate existing power plants that were designed to be always on.

If you turn a combined cycle power plant on and off frequently throughout the day, it operates at low efficiency until the steam side has warmed up and has started generating electricity and maximising output. Then when you turn it off, you rapidly lose steam pressure so the steam side stops generating but a significant amount of heat still remains within the boilers that ends up cooling naturally, thus wasting more energy. Worst of all, the steam side was never designed to be frequently heated and cooled so by doing that you also put them under a significant amount of stress which starts to cause longer term reliability and efficiency issues.

While an open cycle is much more geared towards being able to be turned on and off rapidly and frequently, the efficiency is much lower overall.

Both types of gas plants also have to be ramped up, you can't spin it up to speed and then dump full output on it immediately, you have to allow it spin up and gradually place electrical load on. Thus you're burning gas for several minutes before it is fully loaded and similarly when you go to take it offline, you can't just press OFF, you have to deramp it and then shut it down meaning further losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The wholesale price of electricity in Germany is roughly twice the price of retail electricity here?

It's going to be a long winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It cant be that bad. Our Politicians are on holidays. Cant be an emergency situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’ve been saying this for a long time.

We have no gas storage reserves- none.

We have corrib that provides approx 30% of our gas needs but that is at peak and is on the way down.

We generate at least 60% of electricity using natural gas.

As you point out we have no LNG terminal to accept gas if Moffat stops providing.

Even our oil (90 day reserve) on whiddy island has no pipeline connecting it to the mainland so we’d have to charter a tanker to get it to the mainland.

Our energy setup is really precarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

How often does a tanker deliver gas to Ireland?

Can gas be stored in tankers in short term?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is no way of landing gas in Ireland as we have no terminal.

It's also unlikely we will have the luxury of having static gas tankers at anchor when they will be needed to ferry gas to the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Gas Is delivered via the Moffat pipelines that are connected to the UK grid and then on to north county dublin and into our grid.

We don’t get tankers of gas as we have no LNG terminal.

We have no CNG tanks (compressed natural gas) either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

@[Deleted User]

Really!

a = [b"01001110", b"01100101", b"01110110", b"01100101", b"01110010", b"00100000", b"01000111", b"01101111", b"01101110", b"01101110", b"01100001", b"00100000", b"01000111", b"01101001", b"01110110", b"01100101", b"00100000", b"01011001", b"01101111", b"01110101", b"00100000", b"01010101", b"01110000"]

s = ''

for i in a:

b = (int(i,2))

s+= str(chr(b))

print(s)

The EU should ban all cryptocurrency mining immediately and encourage WFH where it makes sense with regards to energy consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

Work from Home won't make much difference if we have electricity shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. It does look like an interesting area of research. I'm surprised there isn't a "gas equivalent" calculation done. Obviously if you generate say X amount of energy from wind it won't replace X amount from from gas due to the intermittent nature of wind and inefficiencies of powering up and down gas generators. There will be some percentage loss which I would expect would increase as the proportion of energy from renewables increases. The problem is without such a calculation, arguments get both heated and a hand-wavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It will, they have backup diesel generators if I'm not driving to the office then there is more for that. People tend to keep their homes heated by a timer, if they are working from home that probably aren't running their heasting much more but there would be less demand for heating in offices or even Air Conditioning, PC's put out a lot of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'm not sure we'd be seeing any great consumer benefits this winter as a result of renewables. Of course there's the environmental factor, but I'm focusing on the consumer for now.

Whether our production through renewables was 10% or 100%, that electricity would be priced at (or above!!) international market rates, not necessarily at the cost of generation. If the price of energy in Europe goes sky-high, wouldn't the same happen to the price here?

Look at Corib gas. We didn't suddenly get cheap gas bills just because the gas was extracted off our coast. The price we paid was based on international market prices regardless.

I don't think we'll have blackouts this year. I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely we'll see demand-shaping through pricing. I.e. high prices regardless of where/how the electricity is being generated. Even if we were on 100% renewables, I think it'd be the same end result for the consumer. I'm open to correction on that though.

Instead of looking for hand outs, Germany ought to get a second job, tighten their belt, watch their finances better, and sell off some of the family silver.... sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

They need a kick reich up the hole

Advertisement