Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Happy with the Ro Creavin Medical centre

Options
  • 02-08-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

I went in last week for a gp consultation for travel vacinations . The regular charge to see a DR in there is 60 Euro but for some reason they charge and extra 25 Euro for this Service . Anyway that isnt what made me angry . During the visit I told him I had one other health concern I wanted to ask him about before the appointment finished . He said no. This appointment was for travel vacinations and if I wanted to ask him about anything else Id have to book another appointment. I couldnt believe it . Am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

If the concern was not related to travel don't think it was too unreasonable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

No you're not being unreasonable, that's pretty scabby out of them if you ask me.

Anytime i go to the GP i go for the reason i'm in, and usually ask them to do something else, as you had done, nothing out of the ordinary to "save up" a few ailments to be seen under the 1 60euro fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭KurtBarlow

The fee was actually 85 Euro. But he wanted another 60 off me for my separate concern

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

To me the 60 is a fee to see the GP, it should cover any amount of ailments in that visit with no limits. Thats just gouging as far as im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea thats just completely unreasonable from the doc, ffs, 85 is a ridiculous amount to have to pay to see one!

• Advertisement

• Nothing unreasonable about that, I'd be pissed off too, OP.

As Kimbot says, it's gouging.

I called the reception and complained. She ranted about policy etc and that there is a specific travel vac consultation and thats all its for. How they justify charging an extra 25 Euro for it I dont know . Its just a Hungry way of extracting as much Cash as possible from People

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Your GP should be able to talk to you about your concerns. It’s a health appointment!

asking for another appointment is just crazy IMHO.

many times I have to address other issues, thankfully my doctor addressed one such issue while I was in for something else, only to find an aggressive skin cancer. Waiting for another appointment could have been serious.

By the way my doctor visit costs $30 and they say the States is expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Most GP's that I know of have a 10minute, one issue policy (normally unspoken) but I have had that so many times where they will say "sorry no, if you have another issue you can make another appointment for that, I don't have time for that today"

It's endemic in GP surgeries these days.

It's ineffective in the long run imo, and I'd wager it is leading to worse outcomes for patients

• Registered Users Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I would say it's fairly reasonable of the Doctor in this case. Similar to getting a mechanic to quote for, and start on, a job, then asking to add some bits in.

• Advertisement

id strongly disagree here, yes early detection of both can be critical, but i some how think early detection in the medical sense is far more critical, charging access to our system is truly failing....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

But the question in the OP is in the context of the current system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Due to workloads and wait times many GP's have consult times limited to 10min a consult and also the amount of issues they'll deal with per consult. In practice i've personally never heard of either enforced certainly locally to me.

OP I get where you are coming from but you booked a travel vaccinations consult, you got a travel vaccinations consult but then you tried to add non-travel vaccinations stuff onto it. I completely understand the GP's position.

i do suspect the issue really is time constraint here, but its hard not to default to thinking its ultimately about more money, it does make sense to address all medical conditions in one consultation, our health system really is a mess, even for the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Disgraceful.

Three staff suicides in ten days in UHW just shows how much stress people in the medical profession are under. Patients need to understand doctors and nurses etc are only human after all. On top of the normal stresses, they have to endure the HSE, the pandemic and are expecting a very bad flu season in the winter.

The pressure a medical Professional Working in the UHW is not comparable to a GP working in a medical centre at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

GPs have been under enormous pressure since covid, and there is a shortage of GPs. If, for every consultation, patients came in with a list of ailments they would never get through their daily appointments. I think it's unfair to expect a GP to facilitate your appointment for as long as you wish, they have other patients to see after all.

It wasnt a list . It was one other thing and would have taken 1 or 2 minutes

• Advertisement

Seriously fella, you are getting into the realm of fantasy now.

jesus christ, i was unaware of this, this is dreadful news, our health system is truly collapsing, rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

You paid 85 euro for your vaccinations, whether the extra 25 is justified is a separate argument. GPs have other patients to see, and how do you know it would have been 1 or 2 minutes? Maybe they would have needed to run tests, write a prescription, referral etc.. They know that all that is possible when someone says, "oh one more thing" so in order to not inconvenience other patients, they require separate appointments.

Incorrect. It was a vaccination consultation. I paid 85 for him to tell me what I need . Something I already knew and a few sentences on a Computer file. The actual vaccinations themselves are a separate visit with the nurse

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

If you ask a plumber to replace your tap in the kitchen you'll hardly

ask him to grout the tiles if he has the time?

One man, one job!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

3 suicides, my God thats awful. I heard of one but didnt know there was another 2. It seems the hse is a shocking stressful place to work if you are under pressure to clear waiting lists or hit a certain quota of procedures. Its not worth your life though no job is. Very sad.

Yeah, heard it personally first but it was in the News & Star last week as well. Also, the amount of abuse medical professionals have to take is unbelievable apparently. Can’t understand why people feel the need to be such dicks these day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

That's two completely separate trades tho.

If you had a plumber in to replace the kitchen tap, and the toilet was causing issues you'd get him to look at it, while he was there, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

• Advertisement

tbf, comparing health issues to any other lifes problems, is a bit fcuked up really, why entertain it!

everybody under pressure id imagine, from staff to patience, and everything in between, the sign of a seriously struggling system, yup patience can be absolute arseholes, but if your desperate for help, you ll probably say and do anything to get it.....

Advertisement