Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What was "weird" about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

First one of these I've watched. What yer man's saying is plausible (if not a little bit of a stretch for some parts). However it's also equally possible they won't feature again!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

I also thought it was a filler . Boring . It served no real purpose . No point pretending I liked it. I also didn’t like “The Fly” !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

It's an awful waste to establish that Gene can be "made" post BB but develop a scheme to protect himself from being exposed? I don't see anything wasteful about that plot and think with 3 episodes to go, it's exactly what should be told.

I've wanted to see what Gene is like. I've wanted and full post BB episode. I really don't care about Saul during the BB timeline and they've really established how Jimmy became Saul. I will take 3 more of those episodes if they develop Gene and show us what he becomes in the end and why. I don't want to see Walter White, Jessie, Jimmy, or Saul again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I really like the black and white in the Gene episodes, makes everything look so sophisticated … I used to have a broken tv that showed everything in black and white, I didn’t like that

I also had a tv that turned all the reds into pink… I also did not like that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it serves a couple of different purposes; it resolves almost all of the previous Gene scenes we've gotten at the start and end of previous seasons, it shows how much he misses the grift and getting one over on people (rather than going with the vacuum repair guy he decided to handle it himself), and it shows that that side of him is still there. No matter how mundane and boring his life has become, Saul is still there. I think even picking up the colourful tie and shirt at the end before putting them down, in some ways it could be seen as Gene saying goodbye to Saul, but it can also be seen as him knowing he doesn't need the Saul persona to do what he does.

We don't know if other stuff in this episode will end up leading to anything, but I think it was also a purposeful comedown after the energy of the last few episodes. One that serves as a soft reset as the Jimmy-prequel era is finished, and they need to segue and ease people into the Gene era for the last few episodes.

Let's face it, in Breaking Bad the second last episode was sandwiched in between two of the best episodes of TV; Ozymandias and the final episode. But it wasn't a great episode itself. It helped set things up for the final and had some strong character moments for Walt, and had a brilliant ending to build up tension for the final episode, but it was a definite comedown from the previous episodes. It was needed though, just like I think this one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Cannot get the love for this episode. What did we learn? He is a schemer who manages to play the system for his own ends. Would never have known that if it wasn't for this stunning piece of TV writing! It is self indulgent waffle, just like the fly episode in BB.

They had a great storyline going. They either ended it too soon or should have made less episodes.

Don't get this obsession with linking in to post BB. It was a prequel FFS.

Why make a controversial episode that splits opinions? What does it achieve other than cheap headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

And it establishes that he is still willing to do all that as Gene. He's not going to be bullied or shy away from it. It starts the Gene story properly and it's one we can tie up in 3 episodes. There's nothing self indulgent about it.

I do not understand people drawing parallels to the Fly episode in BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I didn't love it but I certainly thought it was fascinating and very enjoyable. I find it compelling to see Jimmy in this dreary, colorless world in which he's lost everything and merely exists rather than lives, but deep down he's still classic Jimmy and to a degree, Saul still lives on.

I'd say the true strength of this episode will depend on what comes next, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't understand the comparisons either. It's not like they set out to make the episode controversial either.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Writing this just as I finish the episode and before I read any comments.

Imagine for a second how confused people are who never saw BB right now..they must be thinking they tuned into Fargo this week instead of BCS.

For me , weakest episode yet. Huge fan of this show but this one wasn't up to the usual high standards... I mean really, is that the threat (Jeff) that's been hanging over Gene now for a few seasons? Jaysus... I know we're probably not done with Jeffy yet but god, that's pretty bad. For me his mother is a far far more interesting character and I feel like she could be the real threat, "family in ABQ" seems like.a throwaway line but this show doesn't do throwaway lines... Could she be playing him at his own game?

I just keep thinking what an absolute waste of an episode given how few episodes are left..it just seems incredibly strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think they have subtly laid the ground work for future traps against Saul/Gene based on the Jeff stuff. The writers rarely do anything without a purpose. I have already seen theories that Jeff's mother could be Saul/Gene's downfall or even the shop manager he rigged the heist on.

There was one excellent theory I saw that the change of casting (to the actor who played Jeff) necessitated a rewrite. But there is no proof of this. To be honest the Nippy episode will go down as one of my favourites it was memorable, well paced, full of nuance. And there is still a hint that Gene et al have not got away with things. Excellently written and well acted. It willbe spoken about for years.

Personally I think there are some who watch BCS for the crash bang wallop - Cartel stuff. If I remember correctly there were gripes from that cohort on here about the Kim/Jimmy relationship that it was boring etc. It was also said the Howard stuff was boring, by many of the same cohort.

I pointed out that the two worlds - (Cartel and Kim/Howard) will likely converge at some point. It did.

And when it did it got a massive reaction on these boards. I think viewers just need to show a bit of patience, the writers know where they are going. And if they put as much attention to detail as Jimmy McGill does to his scams. There is bound to be lots of drama left in the remaining episodes with a twist or two along the way.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Woah woah. I'm one of those fanboys. To me the show is perfect... It's up there with BB, Sopranos, The Wire. In fact I'm more shocked that they'd give us this episode at this crucial time. As the poster above said... The writers don't do throwaway episodes, everything has a purpose and from what I've seen of this show I'd tend to lean that way myself. Everything happens for a reason. I'm more annoyed at the convenience of the Lalo death than this episode if I'm honest.

One things for sure. And if BB is anything to go by... The last 3 episodes will be mind blowing.

Am I disappointed with this episode, yeah, but more of the timing, this could have happened two seasons ago. Time is running out and the timing just seems off. I have faith though. This is the guy who brought us the last 3 episodes of BB for jesus sakes. If anything, he can please fans.

Not panicking just yet. This isn't a GoT meldown by ANY means.

BCS is not undisputed as the greatest show ever. Plenty of other contenders 60’s ‘The Man from Uncle’ - ‘Batman’ ‘I dream of Jeanie’ ‘Bewitched’ . 70’s ‘Happy Days’ ‘Columbo’ 80’s ‘Dallas’ ‘MacGyver’ ‘The A Team’ ‘Glenroe’ .90s Sopranos - Baywatch.

None of those shows were flawless (neither is BCS)

In their pomp they were all popular and they all caught the imagination in their time. Life is not as simple as ‘greatest xyz’ and ‘worst xyz.’ That is the way children talk, and YouTubers frame things looking for clicks.

But what I can’t understand how some people who have watched BCS and BB seem perplexed as to where the direction of the show is going.

Because the writers have a certain style in how they paint a story.

They like to tie things up have interwoven storylines. While at the same time given a nod to BB or taking time to flesh out BB character backgrounds.

All the while doing so they still have to give a satisfactory ending to BB/BCS through Jimmy/Saul/Gene.

I think the writers have set themselves a difficult task given these constraints.

Yeah, there have been a few minor missteps along the way. But all in all I feel (with BCS so far) the viewer has got good in-depth character development. Intertwining of worlds.

And plenty of drama/tension following particularly following slow build ups in story arcs.

The characters are rarely wooden/one dimensional. Unless you count ‘the cousins’ who are put in for the black comedy element.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I’m surprised at the reaction to this episode. It’s not like the previous one left any real cliff hangers. They had clearly completed the Saul transition.

Don't get wrong, I am not saying it was absolutely fantastic but to compare to the Fly episode in BB is too much imo (an episode that was written due to budgeting issues).

Considering it’s the start of the post-BB era I thought it was a fitting episode and offered some breathing space to learn about Gene etc . A bit like as if it’s a new season (sort of). Also the episodes plot in and of itself was fun and tense.

BCS has always been about slower pacing. An episode like this should come as no surprise to any BCS fan.

Since Season 1 whenever the pace has picked up they usually take it down a notch soon after, almost like a gentle reminder by the writers that this isn’t Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It was an episode that in some ways was in line with how this season has tackled the dangling questions of the previous season, ie it dealt with them quickly and effectively.

We had Nachos narrative arc completed quickly this season, the Lalo arc came to an abrupt end after his relative absence, the Kim question was dealt with in manner that nobody really predicted.

The remaining issue was the cab driver recognizing Saul and what it meant in terms of Gene's ability to keep his cover intact. This was a light hearted caper that dealt with the big existential threat to Gene, he has tied the hands of the one person who could blow his cover.

We have no items left on the agenda of what we thought the end of this story would be going into this season.

The writers have left the viewers unsure of what the narrative will be in the final three episodes, there are no real hints (like the bedraggled Heisenberg from the cold opening of the first episode of Breaking Bad's final season) to leave a trail for the viewers to connect to.

Sure a lot of people didn't enjoy it, but it's a bold move to leave the audience completely unsure of where the show goes from here at this point in its run.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watching that episode I was concerned 'the cameo' was just going to be little more than a quick callback, not adding much to proceedings. But ultimately really liked how it and the other flashbacks to the BB timeline reinforced what we're learning about 'Gene': even when he shouldn't, Jimmy just can't help chasing the next big, risky high.

It helped how elegantly the two timelines were woven together. Some great, impactful cuts between the black & white and colour segments.

Really curious how they resolve the Jimmy / Kim relationship. I'm kinda rooting for them, even allowing for the horrible things they've done together: as this episode shows once again, their relationship was maybe the one thing that made Jimmy truly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you have not watched the latest one yet I would recommend reading over this to refresh your memory of BB (i.e. I wish I had, I think I will watch it later)

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Better_Call_Saul_(episode)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The phone call between Gene and Kim was so brilliantly done. I thought the way Walt & Jesse were integrated into the episode was fantastic (good choice letting Walt keep the ski mask over his head rather than go with a bald cap).

The ending was perfect though. Cutting between Saul entering the school which was the start of his downfall in getting properly tangled up with Walt, and Gene breaking into the guy's house which I'm guessing will lead to the big thing for the finale. I'm glad we're getting more of Jeff and the mother too, which shows that last week's episode wasn't just filler, but is likely setting things up for the finale (Jeff's mother seeing them go into the garage especially, another shot of the Albequerque air freshener).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They showed Marion (Jeff's mother) in her bed watching cat videos, which showed she was not just playing along with the whole thing. I saw some theories that she was totally wise to Jimmy and acting like a simple auld granny to keep him off guard. She still might be but thought she may have been playing along about being clueless about the internet. Maybe she starts investigating Gene on the internet and finds him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So the cameos Walter White looks fine but Jessie I didn't recognize him when he entered the door, he he looks his current age which is 42 and he looked it and I found it distracting.

The Kim phone call didn't go well either they wouldn't put him through to her or she spoke with him and told him she wanted nothing to do with him.

This seemed to trigger Jimmy to start his side scam again with Jeffy and the last one that seems to be going bad does Gene/Jimmy want to be caught? As he seems to be pushing this too far with breaking the window to enter the house.

Also Jeffy's Mom knows something's up so we will see how that plays out.

Post edited by Snake Plisken on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I liked the mis-direction the show does where you think Saul is going to pass on scamming the mark with cancer. When he flips out after getting the phone call I initially thought it was because Jeff and the other guy had gone ahead with the scam against his instructions.

Enjoyed the phone call with Kim also. At this point Kim knows the full details of what he was up to with Heisenberg and the scene works regardless of whether he got through to Kim or was thwarted in his attempt.

I wonder how BB or BCS would have worked out if people just took Mike's advice. Probably a lot more profitable for some of the protagonists but a lot duller for us. 😄

Teaser up for next week not alot to go on and could be a misdirect

Another point is that Kim did not have to get her vacuum repaired and still using her real name and she works at a company called Palm Coast Sprinklers and next episode is titled Waterworks. I think Jimmy is going out of his way to get caught and thrown in Jail.

I also think we will hear what was said in the phone booth maybe from Kim's prospective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Yeah I think you're right about hearing what was said on the call. Well picked up, she didn't 'disappear' herself, she's still Kim Wexler, just in Florida instead of New Mexico.

Enjoyed that ‘Breaking Bad’ BCS episode. Liked the way they framed the wrong road travelled. And left the ‘What if?’

Plus there is a large dollop of juxtaposition of characters underestimating others. Mike calling Walt ‘a complete amateur’. Saul saying he has a ‘good feeling’ about Walt.

And Gene again potentially underestimating Jeff’s mother, and underestimating the man with Cancer the easy ‘Mark’. I initially thought Gene/Jimmy would call the scam off. So I was very surprised when he forced it through. Reminiscent of Kim with the Howard scam.

When it opened with the ‘Did Lalo send you?’ scene in the Met Lab Mobile.

First thing I did was check the BB original scene. They got the same tie correct anyway. Also I thought it was clever of the writers to return to that scene. Simply because the hats and darkness hide Cranston’s and Aaron Paul’s ageing a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Who else recognised Buzz from Home Alone within a nanosecond? 😁

• Advertisement

Breaking Bad Statues Albuquerque

Advertisement