Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Toyota is having a tough time at the minute with their BEV recall for wheels falling off and a worsening emissions scandal (trucks, not cars but you'd have to wonder about cars too!)

Looks like emission cheating is/was widespread and not just a VW thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Going back to 2003 when Toyota started cheating. Wow, that must have been many years before VW. I wonder did they sell any of those cars / trucks in the USA? If so, VW paid a $15 billion fine over there, Toyota could be next up on the block. I'd say at this stage it is more likely than not that Toyota will not survive long term as a major car company unless they are rescued somehow.

In a generation or two people will laugh at us, silly people who thought they could make dirty combustion engines clean. We certainly did try every trick in the book, invented ludicrous systems like start stopping of the engine all the time, exhaust gas recirculation, tiny engines with turbo chargers, catalytic converters, particulate filters and when none of it really worked, we had no option but to cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The irony is that Toyota had the best emissions reducing tech of them all (Lean Burn), in the best car they ever built (Carina E), but it got outvoted by catalytic converters.

Cats were and are a waste of precious metals, they make cars more inefficient resulting in more fuel burning not less,and ultimately the incremental fuel burn from adding cats to cars has wasted months if not years of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Hino has an annual production of 130000 units, VW 8 million or so, fines per rata probably will be small change for the largest car maker in the world.

Honestly, I do not think that Toyota is going to lose out that much given the perceived reliability of the brand, their successful self-charging gimmicks, while on the other hand, nearly every EV brand has battery replacements ( 4 OMG I cannot believe that.) or degradation of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Their Australian operation is also facing a possible AUD$2 billion class action by owners of HiLux, Prado (our sold in Ireland as LandCruiser) and Fortuna (SUV based on HiLux platfrom) who bought vehicles with potentially faulty diesel particulate filters (DPFs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I heard some commentators saying that emissions cheating was basically standard practice in the industry. Could be just hearsay but I imagine the mistake VW made was getting caught

Even for the ones that play by the rules, the test cycles are hopelessly open to abuse

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The main mistake VW made was trying to push diesel into domestic vehicles in the US, they were the only ones trying to do it so when the EPA went gung ho at them they had free reign without any US manufacturers to be hurt. Light duty trucks such as US pickups had much less strict emission standards which is what led to the rise of truck based SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

4 battery replacements, is that true? That’s one to avoid…….

That was one very early tesla and is not representative of cars that are 10 years newer.

• Advertisement

To offer some thoughts on the battery degradation:

4 replacements is bad, but also unusual (one hopes). I know Tesla fans can be quite... dedicated, however I imagine only the most devout followers of Musk would stick with Tesla if like 90% of the cars needed repeated battery replacement

The rate of replacement is what it key, if it's 1% of new cars or 0.001%. And how this compares to the number of petrol cars that suffer a major fault within their expected lifetime. I don't think there has actually been an in depth study into this

Degradation is an aspect of any piece of machinery (actually anything above subatomic particles if you want to be really strict about definition) and so the petrol engine in an ICE is subject to the same issues.

The fact that there is a guarantee for many EV batteries lasting 8 or more years is a positive. Compare that to the warranty on an ICE, which does not to my knowledge make any guarantees around consumption or efficiency. A petrol car could in theory be running at twice it's rated consumption, thus halving your range, and unless there is an obvious mechanical issue in the engine still be considered as "good" from a warranty perspective

I often see people on the news or in this forum saying that older vehicles should be converted to electric because they're "perfectly good cars" and shouldn't be wasted.

To be clear, an 15 year old petrol car is not as good as the day it left the factory. Cars have a design life, which seems to be somewhere around 8-10 years without significant mechanical issues, everything after that is borrowed time which will likely involve repair work.

Like any product, manufacturers test their cars beyond their design specs so that even when the factory is operating at the lower bound of their control limits the cars produced will still last the design lifetime. This is why cars don't just drop dead as soon as they hit 10 years. This combined with the fact that a car is expensive and easy to repair means that it's generally more valuable to keep it running than just dispose of it

But let's just dispense with the idea that only EV batteries degrade. I've seen 15 year old petrol cars that realistically have less range than my old Leaf down to the fact that they'd probably break down if driven for more than 60 mins at a time

I'm likely to get some flak for this comment but IMO those early Model S were test vehicles that were sold as commercial products

The implied contract was that Tesla were still figuring out the whole EV thing, so the car would probably have some issues which Tesla would have to figure out as they go

The flip side of this was that the customer got a very cool, high tech EV that goes fast, has free charging, autopilot features and knowledge that if the car broke then Tesla would probably fix it under warranty

If as a customer you were willing to take the risk that you'd have to drop the car in for repairs a bit then it worked out quite well

If you wanted a car that just worked all the time, then those early Tesla's were perhaps not for you

Same as any early adopter technology really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No flak, that's exactly what they did, hand assembled v expensive cars shipped without huge real world experience, Tesla fell over themselves in early years to fix everything, seat not comfy - not a problem, we'll replace them all as an example and all without any quibble.

They even totally revisited used cars they resold and gave long no quibble warranty, everything covered. My old S is now more than 7 years old and still covered bumper to bumper for all faults without quibble, one of the last few I reckon...

What they did do right was examine the faults and then improve the tech behind the fault to eliminate (over time) the fault, e.g. door handles failing on every car, now all current Plaids ship with the same handle but V3 and highly reliant

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That's exactly what they did.

They did the same with the MX too. Look at Bjorn's model X trips vs his ones in a 3 or nowadays. Shutting down with 14km left, doors not functioning, bits breaking off etc. It's pretty common knowledge that if you buy a year 1 tesla product (and even the 3 was similar to this) that you're getting a beta test product at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Ryan Shaw posted a good video on the myths and facts around battery longevity a couple of weeks ago.

Well worth watching if you are interested at all about battery reliability.

In it he also discusses a german Model S P85 that has done over 1 million miles (~1.6million km).

Have they gotten a bit less generous recently? I seem to remember the old unlimited mileage warranty now has a limit on it? And some of the updates of older hardware weren't being covered under warranty?

Still way better than most cars, I'm fairly sure that BMW or Mercedes haven't ever given free upgrades to the infotainment systems in their top end models

It's a good video, but he keeps saying that a battery needs replacing when it is down to below 70% of its original capacity. This is of course nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Almost all the perks of ownership from the early days are gone. Unlimited supercharging and premium connectivity were retired years ago and there was a recent announcement about standard connectivity being limited to 8 years. The referral programme is also gone. The terms of the replacement car during warranty work have also tightened up. The CPO programme was downgraded to just used car sales (arguably worse for the customer than other brands). The battery warranty has a mileage limit which is generous but not unlimited and the definition of ‘god working orderI’ for the battery warranty has changed repeatedly.

They allowed the MCUv1 issue to fester for a ridiculous amount of time before acknowledging it at all so even their willingness to accept work under warranty has been reduced.

Possibly the only major differentiator (of service) is the mobile ranger programme which, to be fair, is still around because it allows them to keep their physical presence minimal.

Post edited by markpb on

Agree with all that, @markpb, but would like to add that the loaner car scheme might be a bit tighter, they offer taxi vouchers first. But I still demand a loaner car for any warranty work (on my current 5 year old car and previous nearly 8 year old car) and I get it every time and almost always a car worth more than my own. This is a far superior service than you will get from any of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement

MCU1 eMMC fix is free, door handles are at material cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I can never understand why dealers don't offer day long test drives every time any car is in the workshop. I know many people who have gone in for annual service in dealers and walked through the showroom twice and in the end bought a new or nearly new car just from looking around. The cleverer dealers use a salesperson for service bookings, particularly when quiet, rather than a dedicated service person who has no interest in sales. I have been regularly to dealers with EV and ICE and even getting a test drive is hard. I know supply of cars us hard now and sales people tend to push buyers to what they have in stock or can get, but even before this the procedure should be:

-I would like to book an annual service

-Wouid you like a day long test drive of our newest model with all bells and whistles or to be dropped to work by the salesperson?

-Here is our already determined trade in value for your car, and here is the cost to change for model A,B,C including used stock.

Smaller dealers outside cities seem to handle this better. In Dublin it seems like a cattle mart where all staff are too busy to talk.

All the ads on TV are not half as good as good customer service and a friendly upsell when you are already in the dealership.

I used to get €250 Uber vouchers last year (never needed a loaner because the work was always a one-day job). This year, there was no loaner available so I got an €80 voucher the first time and the second time they gave me an S75 instead of my X75 which, not only is it not an upgrade, isn’t big enough for my family. I’m not complaining, just pointing out that upgrades aren’t automatic.

Oh I agree they are not. In fact I said in my last post that they now offer vouchers as standard and only if you insist will they give you a loaner - and chances are your job will be postponed until a later date to wait for a loaner to become available. And I always say if the work will take 2-3 hours at most, I will just wait in the area and not need any loaner or taxi vouchers. They never seem to be able to commit to that though, which to me shows their service isn't as organised as it should be.

That’s true but a quick look at the history of the eMMC problem shows a different problem. The world and its mother knew there was a problem with the eMMC, had figured out the root cause and indies had even figured out how to replace the card and clone the contents including the VPN certificates (an odd thing in itself). Meanwhile Tesla spent years flat out denying that there was a problem at all even when owners were sitting with dead cars outside their houses, unable to go anywhere because p2d was unavailable. Even the fix for the underlying software issue took a stupid amount of time. Fixing that first and replacing eMMC cards last would have been far more acceptable than what happened.

Just to be clear, I’ve no problem with all the other reductions in service that I mentioned earlier but their handling of eMMC was bizarrely poor. I suspect they were too busy with the development of MCUv2 at the time and hoped the problem wouldn’t be as widespread as it turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

their handling of eMMC was bizarrely poor

They were ultimately forced to recall & repair/replace by the NHTSA in the US. Up to then, they happily refused to fix many customer cars & charged well for those they did fix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ive gotten a loaner for any work over the last 3 years without fail.

Never once was offered Uber Vouchers but I do know they are in use.

Also, I bought a used car from inventory in March, it may not have been called a CPO but the car is back to brand new spec.

All wheels refurbed.

All new tyres.

Any marks or damage to interior trim, the piece was replaced.

Scuffs on the front bumper, replacement bumper fitted.

Also, as a used inventor car, after the 4 year warranty is up, you get an additional 1 year warranty!

So their treatment of their used stock is better than any other used car I’ve ever bought from any dealer. And I’ve bought quite a few!

The Ranger Service has to be one of the best things in Tesla world at the moment. I needed a humidity sensor replaced in the rear view mirror. Again, warranty job. Ranger came to my garden and done it in an hour.

That would be a day off work with BMW or the likes, driving to dealer, arranging kids, pick up etc

The Dublin SC sell all their demos at the 6 months mark so should be in good nick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I bought their 2020 M3P Demo in March 2022 so 2 years old at that stage.

• Advertisement

Funny one, was thinking maybe they kept as a loaner but a P model as a loaner? I was looking at some of their loaner S's but given the stupid prices on the used market I had to bite a new 3 instead given low cash outflow my side.

I actually had a look on Autotrader for the craic last night, 85 S's at higher price than they were when I bought mine 2+ years ago, even 2022 Model 3 asking prices waaaay above what we are paying for ours brand new

Advertisement