Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We did give Argentina a game in 2015. We were only three points behind going into the last quarter.

I'm sick of people being so negative about Ireland but especially when it's based entirely on a basic lack of knowledge.

I don't know how you can be positive about a team that just got beaten 42 - 19 by the All Blacks. An All Blacks team that just lost a test series at home too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You can see in the reaction to our series win this summer we've gotten ourselves a reputation. Other countries don't really take us seriously even though we've just achieved something incredible. The attitude towards us is, "Yeah they're good now, but we all know they'll flop when it matters most". We need to buck that trend.

Curious as to what this reaction was and from who?

I’ve been off the grid for the last while so have likely missed things, but the little bit I did get to read and hear was all pretty effusive praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Usually the majority of coaches go into RWC with uncertainty over their future. It's the biggest stage for their team to perform and they have incentive to prepare them as well as possible to lay their claim for their next contract either at the same team or someone else. Lancaster lost the top job in England based on a poor tournament and Eddie Jones gained it from an excellent showing with Japan. It's the normal way of things.

The IRFU seem to be only ones constantly handing out long term contracts before the RWC giving the head coach little incentive to perform there. You can't possibly say it's a successful strategy either given our history in the tournament.

The England reasoning is just strange tbh. If the RFU really want him and he wants to join England then it'll happen 2 years later regardless, what exactly are we gaining holding on to him for a couple of years in between cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t the coaches have that 6 month break clause? If he has that then this conversation is pretty moot. Even if it’s not there it makes sense to sign him up, the team are going well and there is a feeling of building going on too.

• Advertisement

The last coach to win the World Cup had a contract that didn't expire until two years after that World Cup.

The previous winning coach had a contract that didn't expire until... two years after that World Cup.

Let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The IRFU seem to be only ones constantly handing out long term contracts before the RWC giving the head coach little incentive to perform there.

This isn't true at all. Lancaster got a 4 year extension before the 2015 World Cup. Eddie Jones got a 2 year extension before the 2019 World Cup. Wales tied Gatland down until 2019 in 2013.

Surely you can see how going into a RWC with a coach who's contract is up in a few weeks would be an issue? They have to be seen to be fully backing him, otherwise he's a lame duck. Nobody goes into a world cup with a coach who's contract is up after it.

There's also the England issue which complicates things. After the series win in NZ he would have been the RFU's no.1 target. You can't go into a RWC with a head coach who's taking over England as soon as he's done.

The incentive to perform thing is nonsense. Ireland could go out in the group stage and Andy Farrell would have no shortage of suitors in English (Union and League) and French clubs. Backing the head coach gives the players incentive to perform.

The England reasoning is just strange tbh. If the RFU really want him and he wants to join England then it'll happen 2 years later regardless

It won't, because England will be hiring a coach for the four-year cycle up to 2027. Which means Farrell won't be going to England until earliest 2028 (unless they end up sacking Borthwick/Baxter mid-cycle but that's very unlikely).

what exactly are we gaining holding on to him for a couple of years in between cycles?

The two year thing is just to get him tied down post RWC. If things are going well he'll sign for another 2 years in 2024. Lot's of countries do it that way. It also makes it easier to get rid if the RWC goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yep. Argentina were losing the plot at that stage too. Penalties left and right. Madigan had a shot at drawing us level and missed (it was a tough kick). But I’m convinced that had he gotten that then we’d have won. They’d have gotten carded and we’d have pushed on. Instead we missed, gave them some relief and while they got their **** together, the wind was taken out of our sails. They got a few late scores to put a gloss on the scoreboard, but we absolutely did give them a game.

EDIT: Also, we lost in 2011 to a Welsh team that we felt we should have beaten. But that Welsh team won the next 2 6Ns titles, including a GS in 2012. That was a good Welsh team that I think many of us underestimated. We didn’t help ourselves with our selection, but that was the start of Welsh rugbys peak in the pro era.

This is funny. After the first test in NZ, everyone cited a poor 20 minute period as the reason we lost, and claimed that NZ weren't actually that dominant, even though they won 42-19. Yet people also claim that because we had a good 20 minute spell v Argentina in 2015, we weren't actually beaten comprehensively, even though they won 43-20, and Argentina were quite clearly were in control for the majority of the game.

The 2011-13 Welsh team was only better than us because they had a better coach. On paper, our team was just as good if not better than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's just not how it happened. It just isn't.

When Murphy got his try, I was pretty confident we'd go on to win and we nearly did. We ran out of steam in the last few minutes and Argentina struck again.

Mad how people grow to loathe their own national team.

• Advertisement

This is funny. After the first test in NZ, everyone cited a poor 20 minute period as the reason we lost, and claimed that NZ weren't actually that dominant, even though they won 42-19.

But they weren't actually that dominant. After the first test, you were complaining that we were "thrashed", "hammered" and questioning the mentality of the team. But the way the game played out, some felt there were reasons for positivity, despite the scoreline.

And the way the series played out from there, the relative positivity seems fairly justified.

To the extent that I agree with you with regards our RWC performances, I think it's our starts that are costing us:

• 2011: Shane Williams try after 3 minutes.
    • 2015: Moroni and Imhoff tries after 3 and 10 mins
    • 2019: As far as I recall, the first 10 mins were relatively ok, but then 2 Aaron Smith tries on 14 and 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

One thing I've noticed browsing rugby Twitter is that Ireland aren't peoples second favorite team anymore. That's a mark of success in that (WC excepted) you'd expect Ireland to go toe to toe with the top 5 anytime they play. No more the underdog.

Ah the usual read one thing and claim it’s another.

Nobody said we weren’t beaten comprehensively. You said we didn’t give them a game. With 20 to go it was a 1 score game. Having gone down a couple of tries early on we couldn’t have gone on to get within 3 without “giving them a game”. We were beaten comprehensively on the scoreboard after they got some late scores to put that distance up. Until then we gave them a game.

Similarly in NZ we were beaten comprehensively on the scoreboard, but we did enough and created enough to suggest that we were very close to them in terms of the performance regardless of the final score. NZ only dominated for 10-15 mins. On another day we’d have score 2 or 3 more tries and the score would have been a lot closer.

You want to boil things down to ridiculous levels of simplicity when they game is anything but. The final score is one thing. Performance is another. Sometimes performance and score line up and sometimes they don’t. We should be able to distinguish between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

this is quite good.... i feel a DVD coming soon....

Who cares what the score was with 20 to go? Rugby is an 80 minute game, and over the course of the game, Argentina were dominant and the scoreline reflected that. Yes we had purple patches here and there, but so what?. NZ had purple patches in the 2nd and 3rd tests this summer. Do you think they or their fans take any consolation in that whatsoever? Of course they don't. We were by far the better team in both games and deserved to win.

It's baffling to me how people don't view a comprehensive and deserved 23-point defeat to Argentina (a team we routinely beat between world cups) in a quarter final as anything other than abject failure and underperformance.

In the 1st test we failed to take our chances. Part of performance is being clinical. We can say "on another day" all we like, but we failed to convert our chances and NZ didn't. We also had an 11 minute capitulation after Sexton went off that allowed NZ to rack up a score. You can't just write that off, it happened. That's why the scoreline was what it was.

I just don’t think you’re consistent on this tho, TRC. Your tendency is towards the negative, or at a minimum, being overly critical imo.

You’ve been extremely critical of Leinster after wins this season, even some with 20+ point margins, for example. Why weren't they "comprehensive and deserved 20+ point wins"?

You're happy to separate performance and result in those scenario's. You weren't claiming the opposition were "trashed" or "hammered" in those games.

If Argentina were dominant throughout the game then how did we get back to within 3? That’s an utterly ridiculous statement.

Nobody is wiring off anything. You are cherry picking the things you want to focus on to make your point. Some others are looking at everything and making a judgement on all of it rather than some of it. We were soundly and deservedly beaten in the first test. We also showed enough, despite the score line, to suggest that we weren’t as bad as the final score suggested. The other wins didn’t happen in a vacuum, entirely separate in every way from the first test. The performance in the first test fed directly into the performance in the second and that into the third.

You don’t seem to be able to distinguish between someone saying that we deservedly lost by a big margin but it wasn’t all bad and someone utterly ignoring the fact that we lost be a big margin. There’s nuance in real life. You’re choosing to ignore that and then take shots at people who don’t, claiming that they are saying things that they patently are not.

We did give Argentina a game in 2015. We had them on the ropes coming into the last quarter and they were giving away penalties to beat the band because of the pressure that we put them under. It was only in the last 10-15 that they actually won that game. You want to ignore all that and just look at the score line. That’s fine. If you want to build simplistic opinions on fractions of the information then that’s up to you. Plenty of us here would much rather take a holistic view of things and make judgements that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

We gave Australia a game of it in 1991. I was in the South Terrace in Lansdowne Road.

If Argentina were dominant throughout the game then how did we get back to within 3? That’s an utterly ridiculous statement.

Because that happens in rugby. Teams can have purple patches and get back into games. But ultimately it's an 80 minute game, and whoever dominates for the majority of the game usually comes out on top. The series this summer is a perfect example. New Zealand clawed back to within a score in both the 2nd and 3rd tests, but nobody would argue that we weren't the dominant team in both those games, and the score lines after 80 minutes reflected that.

We did give Argentina a game in 2015.

I think you and I have different ideas of what "giving someone a game" means. When I said we should have given them a game, I meant a tight game. Go toe-to-toe with them for 80 minutes and be at the very least, be in with a shot of winning at the end (which Wales manage to do consistently in quarters and semis). Not be comfortably the 2nd best team over the 80 minutes and (deservedly) lose by 23 points.

I don't understand this weird "we only lost in the last 15 minutes" mentality, as if that somehow makes it ok. You want to just write off large periods of a game and say "If you don't look at this 15 minute period where we got blitzed, it was actually a tight game". You can't do that. Rugby is an 80 minute game, not a 65 minute game. Those 15 minutes happened and they matter.

Again with the whole turning something someone said onto something that it isn’t. The last 15 mins mattered. The first 15 mins mattered too. The 50 mins in between, guess what, they mattered as well.

Argentina dominated us for 30 or so mins of an 80 minute performance. Like in Test 1 in NZ where NZ dominated us for 15 mins. Nobody is ignoring those or discounting those or saying they didn’t happen or saying they didn’t matter or saying anything else about them that you seem to think they are. They are balancing out those things with all the other minutes in the game and forming a complete picture of the performance off the back of it.

Just like that first test, you want to see the bad score line and judge the entire performance based on that alone. Massively hyperbolic nonsense like discussing their weak mentality and their issues at set piece etc without balancing that with anything else that happened in the game. The scrum was a mess because the ref allowed each scrum to be set while being in no way stable. We didn’t have any real scum issues in the other tests when that set piece was officiated well. Obviously there is a point about adapting to opposition cheating, but at the end of the day there’s only so much you can do about referee interpretations. And ultimately our set piece issues were resolved. But rather than acknowledging it wasn’t all us you went to town on Porter in particular over it, but also on the scrum as a whole. Because for you there’s no nuance (sorry, no “excuse”).

When I made the point that on another day and with Sexton uninjured we could well have won that game given the things I saw you made a point of scoffing at that idea. Yet on the next 2 of those days with Sexton uninjured we did go on to win. You might not see the correlations between what we did well in Test 1 and how it led to the series win, but that isn’t my fault.

Purple patches can be long or short. Short purple patches do not equate to dominance over 80 mins. The longer the purple patches, the more the dominance. NZ didn’t dominate us in the first test. They had a good 15 minute spell and that was it. They did not dominate that game. They did dominate the score line. There is a difference. Again, if you can’t see that then that’s not someone else’s failing.

Conversely in the 3rd test, we dominated the first half entirely and had a period where we did in the second half too. In that game we were dominant over the 80 as well as being dominant on the score board. You seem to want to categorise things as being a singular thing. Quite often negative. But games are rarely that straightforward. There’s almost always good and bad that co-exist. All I want to do is see the full picture. I’m sorry if you don’t get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I remember matches were we dominated the opposition but failed to win. Against Wales in 2015 and a couple of years later v France! It was probably due to our poor play in the opposition 22. One out runners and no real attacking intent or structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

It can't have escaped people's notice that the 2 major defeats Ireland has suffered this year were when Sexton was not playing (v France) and against the All Blacks first test when he went off early. It only confirms the team's complete reliance on his generalship on the field of play. How to fill the gap when he's unavailable remains the great conundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Not really. They are also the toughest 2 tests we've had this year. He's obviously our best outhalf by a distance but that doesnt mean if he'd played both games we'd have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We dominated possession and territory in that game in 2015 but I don't really think we dominated the game. We were so unbelievably easy to defend against, it was just fire one-out runners at them for 80 minutes. I was at the game and the feeling for us in the stadium was fairly grim for most of it. They got into a fairly early 12-0 lead via penalties and we'd a mountain to climb from that point. There was some interesting refereeing as well but you can't do anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Shehal

Also you could argue the two major defeats were the 2 toughest games Ireland played this year by a huge margin.

How was the first test in NZ harder than the 3rd?

Broadly though I do agree. It’s also worth noting that in both games we actually put ourselves into a lot of good positions too. It’s entirely possible that had we gone down the line instead of for the posts in Paris we could have won. And we got over the line 6 times in Eden Park so must have been doing something right to get to those opportunities.

We’ll always be better with Sexton. He’s just a class above. We need to find out how to be good enough without him. And I’m not sure we’re all that far off. I would still like a more commanding presence at 10 than Carbery though. I find him far too passive.

How was the first test in NZ harder than the 3rd?

Eden Park factor, presumably.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of course we can never know, but I would bet a pretty sizeable amount that we would have won the French game at least. We put ourselves in a great position to win that match if not for Carbery's constantly taking the wrong decision ball in hand (mostly cutting back inside far, far too often). But obviously anyone will be a step down from Sexton and we need to get used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Shehal

Because it was NZL in Eden Park, its NZL fortress and was always going to be the toughest game we play in NZL.

The issue in Paris was a leadership issue rather than just who's at 10, surely Ryan, O'Mahony, for instance should have backed us to go for the Corner, Sexton even said Ryan was a big reason we went for the corner for the 4th try in the 3rd test and Ryan backed us to go for the corner in Paris in 2020 just before halftime so we clearly had it in our locker to back ourselves in this position.

He may be a class above and I'm not arguing the point that we are better with him in the team but it has to be remembered we were 14-5 down when Sexton went off in Eden Park so while him going off wouldn't have helped it is just clutching at straws to suggest him being off was the ONLY reason things went south in that game.

We also must not forget with him on the field we were pretty dire in Twickenham for 50 or so minutes but got fortunate we were against an 14 man underperforming English side, if that was France from week 2 or NZL from the first test that game could have gone south almost to the same script.

Ive always been a fan of Carbery but the more I watch him for Ireland while I think he is a good 10 I just question weather he is the 10 this team needs, its not just the play making but personality and confidence is a big factor and when I look at him he just look the lacking in both, maybe things are different behind the scenes and I'm completely wrong but I can only go on what I see on the field. It could also be the coaching quality he's getting at Munster as its noticeably that he hasn't improved really in the last 5 years or so, maybe with the new coaches coming in that things will improve for him but I'm not confident they will sadly. Lets hope someone like Frawley can step up another level in the autumn, Harry Byrne can stay injury free and give it a good crack next season maybe atleast get ahead of Ross and learn off Sexton as a NO.2 at Leinster as that will do him the world good, and who know's maybe someone like Crowley at Munster might be a surprise pack next season as judging from his brief performances last season he seems to have the confidence and personality that we need for our 10 shirt.

• Advertisement

We put ourselves in a great position to win that match if not for Carbery's constantly taking the wrong decision ball in hand (mostly cutting back inside far, far too often).

This is very harsh and I don't think it's true. I've been a fairly big Carbery critic last season, but he was ok in Paris. You can make an argument that not having Sexton was a reason we lost, but that doesn't mean we lost because of Carbery.

Off the top of my head, I remember him cutting inside once in the first half when he really had no other option. Our pack was getting smashed back, he got a dodgy pass off JGP and the outside was completely cut off. He cut back inside and managed to not lose yards from a difficult position.

I remember him having a pretty decent dart in the 2nd half when we were on the front foot. He used his feet, beat a man and made a few yards.

France away and Exeter at home were Carbery's two best games last season IMO. He just needs to deliver that more regularly next season. Because for the most part he was average to poor last season.

Edit: Actually yeah I just watched it back and he definitely could and should have gone out the back to Ringrose in the first half

Advertisement