Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Week of 11 July

13-week (4 month) marathon countdown starts this week.

Mon 11 Jul

57 mins easy.

In Kiel for a few days at a conference - it’s not the most beautiful city in Germany but it has plenty of waterfront running routes. Very warm and humid on this one.

Tue 12 Jul

3 x 2 mi progressive (1M easy recovery)

Having reccied the waterfront last night I was out at early well before the day started to heat up. Conditions were quite nice and relatively cool. Two miles easy to warm up then two miles at steady (8:10), which felt handy enough, along the marina and partly through what seemed to be a military residential area near the Kiel Canal (Europe’s busiest, apparently.) Easy mile then alongside the canal (annoyingly without a view of the water) then into two miles of marathon pace (7:40) towards more industrial buildings. The road wasn’t great here and I briefly noted a trail heading uphill to the left through woods, but stayed on the road until it ran out in a carpark and I had to turn, getting some looks from a few curious local factory workers. The ducking and diving had me struggling to maintain the pace but at least I knew the route now as I headed back the way I came. Closed out the MP section and then another easy mile, then two more miles at 7:10, HM pace, which was OK for a while but quite tough towards the end. Cooldown through city centre. Tough session, especially away from home. 12 miles before breakfast. 

Wed 13 Jul

30 mins recovery around the local streets. Tight for time.

Thu 14 Jul

50 mins very easy.

Train to Hamburg for one night before returning - much more interesting city than I was expecting. Toured some city parks, the world famous Reeperbahn (tacky), and the St. Pauli waterfront. Very warm, had a weird moment where I had to walk for a few moments - think more to do with sleep deprivation than anything.

Fri 15 Jul

10 x 1 min on/off

Figured I had just enough time to do this session before heading for the airport, although I was a little hungover after a few nice local beers after dinner the previous night. Google told me the very nearby Aussenalster lake was a popular running route so I headed there, just a few mins from the hotel. After warming up on the western side, I started the 1 min ‘ons’, which were supposed to be at 10k pace. Paces for these were pretty erratic, partly due to the route, some of which was on residential streets, some on lakeside trails. Just got it done, I suppose. Good to be doing fast stuff again, definitely out of practice.

Sat 16 Jul

Fairview parkrun @ easy

Slept like the dead and awoke too late for the vague plan to drive out to Abbotstown parkrun. Down to Fairivew instead, where it turned out to be their 5th anniversary. Offered to volunteer and they suggested I help close down the course afterwards which meant I could run (not that I really wanted to, but I was dressed for both possibilities). Jogged around in 27 mins and then had to wait around a good while before doing my bunting removal and cone-collecting duties. Always a pleasure.

Sun 10 Jul

Fingal 10k 43:39

I had booked this race a good while ago but if I’d twigged I would be travelling this week I might not have - given my traditional difficulties with sleep, which are even worse when away from my own bed. Add the temperatures we were promised this weekend and it looked like my ‘PB’ of 42:03, achieved on a short Aware 10k course in 2019, would be safe. I thought I might have a shot at my ‘real’ PB of 43:19, achieved on a long course at the K Club in 2018 - what is it about 10k and course measurement? So 43 mins was the time I had in mind, 4:18 per km, not that I’d be studying the watch too intently on the flattish course that has a drag at the start, then a long fast section on the N1 before the back roads of Swords with a couple of drags give way finally to what always feels like an endless trek back into town with a nasty little hill in the last km before the downhill finish.

Long story short - I never really committed to this one. Had a good start, I felt, getting into a nice rhythm on the dual carriageway (6:52, 6:44). Lazare said hello and went past after about 3k and he was just in front of me for most of the next three miles. I stayed at a steady enough pace through the back roads (7:11, 7:09, 7:10) without ever feeling like I could inject a bit of extra pace, and people started going by during the second half of the race - not a huge number, and I was going past people too, but it felt like I was losing some ground. At the right turn out of the leafy lanes that tells you you’ll soon be hitting the final 2k, a glance at the average pace on the watch confirmed that 43 mins was slipping away. I churned out a gritty enough mile 6 under the circumstances (7:13) but nowhere near what would have been needed - by then I was past caring really, just wanted it to be over. Managed a bit of a finish (6:15 pace for the 0.22) but I was still passed on the line by two runners, which is always annoying. 

• Previous PB: 43:??
    • Target: 42:59
    • Result: 43:39
    • 307th place (of 1,943)
    • 4th M60 (of 30)
    • VDOT 46.9
    • Age grade: 75.8%
    • Verdict: ‘Lacking intensity’

Not the worst day out ever but the feeling afterwards was mostly one of deflation. Wasn’t the only one, but still! I never really put myself on the line - there were plenty of targets I could have tried to pick off but just... didn't bother.

•  This week: 71k (44m) - 394 mins
    • This month: 210 (131)
    • This year: 1,952 (1,213)
    Post edited by Murph_D on

And of course that was supposed to say 13 weeks (3 months)….

Week of 18 July

Back on the home turf. Donegal awaits again at the end of the week, but that’s not foreign (anymore).

Mon 18 Jul

36 mins easy.

The plan was anticipating I'd be in bits after shredding myself in yesterday’s race. But my lack of perfect application meant this was just a routine recovery run with no added leg heaviness. You can’t paste yourself all over it every time, I know, but surely I could have put more into it. Why not, I wonder?

Tue 19 Jul

90 mins easy

Again, this should feel hard two days after a race. But no. So yeah, we all know what that means.

Wed 20 Jul

59 mins easy around the docklands with a lap of College Park, still recovering after the recent concerts. 

Thu 21 Jul

41 mins recovery around Marino. Another very humid evening where you just check it off.

Fri 22 Jul

2 hours with 90 mins @ steady.

I’m on holidays from today, and started nice and early with this steady 90 mins. One of the last of these runs on the schedue. Headed up the Malahide Road to the Castle and back down - a route I've used before with plenty of bumps and hollows to negotiate. This went pretty well. I have no heart rate monitor this week because I left it in my Hamburg hotel room. (They are sending it back at my expense. Jammy Northern Germans - years ago I lost some Raybans in a Bavarian hotel and they'd posted them back before I’d even arrived home myself. But I digress.) So this run just by feel with an eye on the watch, trying to keep it just under 5 mins/km on average. Job done, feeling good, although these ones always tire you out towards the end and you have to keep concentrating.

• This week: 63k (39m)
    • This month: 273 (169)
    • This year: 2,014 (1,252)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

See! A solid run on paper and in reality. Haha. Nice running.

As for Fingak I guess you have to ask yourself, at the start line did you care about it? I think we assume that because we are dedicated to running that we'll always give it socks but that's just not the case. Sometimes we're just meh at the start line and in those scenarios it's very hard to go all out.

Cheers, P, you're right there I think. I like to prepare myself mentally for a race but this one went by the wayside in many ways as I had other priorities that week.

• Advertisement

Week of 18 Jul cont.

Sat 23 Jul

Rest day.

Sun 24 Jul

140 mins LR

Out the Croagh Road, where I reccied a good spot for next Tuesday’s hill session on the way. Discovered a new road across the bogs that will be handy for varying some of the loops around the Donegal base. Feeling great on this LR, taking it nice and easy. Massive downpour over the last 40 minutes did nothing to dampen my spirits. A good week.

• This week: 87k (54m) - 487 mins
    • This month: 297 (184)
    • This year: 2,039 (1,267)

Week of 25 July

On holidays in Donegal most of this week. Unfortunately the weather hasn’t really followed me (so far). Not that I mind from a running point of view, but just for the general holiday vibe - would be nice to be able to sit outside more. But every cloud…

Mon 25 Jul

Easy hour.

Legs quite tired after yesterday’s LR. Funny how that happens, the long run feeling great but you are reminded the next day of the work you must have put in. Or that’s the way I like to think of it anyway. Should have been 6x30s strides incorporated into this but I forgot. Sorry, Coach!

Did this one in Sligo town and out through Doorly Park (scene of parkrun glory more than five years ago now). Fabulous path along the Garavogue that now links up with another park near Sligo racecourse. Kudos to the Sligo authorities who made sure these improvements happen, because they certainly don’t happen by themselves. 

Tue 26 Jul

Hill session 3 x long hill (with 60-90s recovery in middle, jog down)

The Coach has sprinkled a few Corkscrew sessions throughout this and the previous phase, and somehow I have managed to never be in Dublin on any of the relevant Tuesdays. For those not familiar, the Corkscrew is a hill on the Sutton side of Howth - a long 1km hill with a 5-6% grade. The idea is you run the first half, take a 60s recovery then attack the steeper second half. There’s a local hill here with fairly similar characteristics, except there’s a dip in the middle, so I substituted that 60s standing recovery in the middle of each rep for a 80-90-second walk down to the bottom of the dip. This second half is a significant hill, with a grade of more than 10% in the final quarter - so a bit shorter but steeper than the ‘real’ Corkscrew. As my hill leads up the Croagh Caravan Park, I christened it the ‘Croaghscrew’ and jogged the 5k out through Meenabrock. 

During rep one I realised I’d started at the wrong point, so a bit longer than necessary before the walk recovery. Then up the steep part - which I’ve run scores of times but never at this kind of effort. It felt OK for a while but then just impossible near the end. And yet once completed, with the knowledge of how it feels, the second rep wasn't quite so bad, and before you knew it you were on rep 3 and closing it out strongly in the knowledge that there was only the jog home to come. Tough but fair. 16.21 kms for the morning.

• This week: 27k (17m)
    • This month: 324 (201)
    • This year: 2,066 (1,284)

Week of 25 Jul cont.

Wed 27 Jul

40 mins recovery around the Killybegs waterfront.

Thu 28 Jul

60 mins easy/recovery back too base after being dropped off on scenic Benroe.

Fri 29 Jul

120 mins with 90 @ sub-T

It’s been a tough enough week weatherwise for running - the threatened rain has not materialised and it’s been pretty humid. But I’ll take it! Conditions were sweaty enough for this week’s 'steady' session. Took myself around the local loop extending it down onto St. John’s Point and up towards Croagh. Again, no HRM so trying to do this by feel. I knew the course and conditions wouldn’t translate the effort into the usual kind of pace but was still a little disappointed to only average something like 5:10/km for the steady miles. But only briefly - it’s all about effort levels and it felt right for today.

Sat 30 Jul

30 mins ‘recovery’. Just a few slow miles above Maghera beach, where the road tracks up over a steep hill. I turned to acknowledge a driver who had slowed down while passing and he asked was I going to run all the way up. Well, not all of it, says I, but he was still impressed. As someone suggested on Strava, you can’t really call a hill run a recovery run, and I agree.

Sun 31 Jul

150 mins LR

Drew up a route on Garmin’s route planner. Then another. On the way down to nearby Dunkineely I changed back to the first one, a long loop which would take me along the coast to Inver and back home through the hills. There are parts of this I’ve never run before and hoped I’d find all the right places to turn (didn’t have my phone-carrying shorts today and would have no maps to fall back on). First half went swimmingly and I was enjoying the warm, sunny conditions, but sure enough I took the wrong road up the hills, which became pretty relentless as a result, maybe doubling the amount of climbing I was expecting. Nevertheless the new route kept things interesting and in that strange internal clock / homing pigeon way, the extended route meant that by the time I found myself on familiar roads I was able to head the shortest way home and hit the required two and half hours pretty much on the button.

Made myself a nutritious fruity/yoghurty/nutty smoothie right away to replace some of the calories, before a more leisurely lunch after my shower. A big week - well over nine hours on the feet. And that closes out July with 245 miles. 

• This week: 97k (60m) - 568 mins
    • This month: 374 (245)
    • This year: 2,136 (1,327)

That was a serious week. You didnt even mention your total elevation for the week. 4300 ft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I'd say yes if you're running in Dublin and probably not if you're running in Donegal 😄

At the risk of asking a stupid question what are the sub-t workouts you are doing? I assume they are sub threshold runs so they fit at the fast end of easy?

I just haven't come across the term before.

Haha yes - it is hard to avoid hills in Donegal and I'm actually surprised at the total myself (which I hadn't noticed). I'm probably getting used to running lots of hills but then again there were a lot of slow runs this week apart from the midweek sessions. It does make the LR more 'strengthy' though, I suppose (and that wrong turn made for one of the most relentless hills I have ever done, in retrospect).

Sub-T - good question. My Lydiard knowledge is based more on Keith Livingstone's 'Healthy Intelligent Training' than the famous Kiwi's original talks/books, but these 'sub threshold' runs are a key part of the base building part of the year, and beyond (and coach DD is taking them well into my final phase, as they are very endurance specific). Essentially, the sub-T run is a steady run - slower than lactate threshold pace, so you should be capable of stretching it out to 80-90 mins or more. While Lydiard called it a '¾ pace' run, Livingstone is quite specific about the effort level, equating it to 75-80% of your heart rate reserve, which equates to 161-168 bpm for me (I have a high HR so for most runners around here this would probably be around 10 beats lower). Depending on the day, the conditions, your health and rest levels, this could be anything from marathon pace to maybe 10% slower. So a solid, steady run - you know you are working, but you feel you can put the work in, but you have to concentrate - and I've often struggled with that part, tending to fall asleep and slow down after a while. But that can happen in the race too, so maybe it's good to be getting used to waking yourself up. 😀

You could probably run a decent marathon off the sub-T intensive base building, and I think a good few of Lydiard's stable did (he'd sharpen up the track lads with some more specific speed work). So it's a vital part of the approach with a marathon in mind.

Great answer and solidified what I've read myself.

Might be interesting to some but I took this from his book and equated it back to my own zones. DeepBlue - this might help in visualising what Murph is describing.

Lydiard likes to use the terms 1/4 effort, 1/2 effort and 3/4 effort. The 1/4 and 1/2 effort runs would be the bread and butter aerobic zone.

The 3/4 effort is in the sub threshold region (3/4 coming from 75% of HRR I think).

Lydiard resonates with me because 1. A lot of his running is based on tuning into effort rather than pace and 2. The systematic nature of stepping through the phases one by one makes sense to me.

A typical week in the base phase might look like this. What isnt noted here is he would also have some fartlek stuff thrown in but the main point being you stay away from anaerobic training until the later phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

How did you work the maths for the HR %?

One of us is in trouble as a result :)

Example:

AMK: 180 Max /

75%= 180/100=1.8

1.8x75= 135

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yes, I use HR reserve as well. One potential advantage being if resting rate is higher than usual, it's probably a good idea to adjust the targets. Having said that, I'm not in the habit of regularly measuring the resting rate (first thing in the morning before getting out of bed). But it might be a good idea to do this on 'sub-T' run days (or potential overkill, and as Swashbuckler mentions, you should be able to do this by feel eventually, which was certainly what Lydiard preferred as HR monitors were not generally available anyway).

And normally I dont but Lydiard specifically quoted HRR in his book so I just stuck to the same method.

In terms of max heart rate, most of my bread and butter runs are usually somewhere around 133....pure recovery runs would usually be <130.

And referencing the table above against "feel" I think its spot on. I certainly feel like I'm in the threshold zone at around 160.

Week of 1 Aug

With last week one of the most intensive weeks of running I’ve ever done, I wondered how this week would feel. Not without hiccups, it would emerge, although all good in the end.

Mon 1 Aug

Rest day. I’ve been taking one every second week or so. Didn’t particularly feel the need for this but good to be procactive on the recovery front, I reckon.

Tue 2 Aug

30 mins @ 7:40, 10 @ 7:30, 10 @ 7:20

Over to Killybegs waterfront to do this one, as it is relatively flat, although not without a drag or two, and I’d be running up and down the length of the stretch several times. Faffed around with the car for a while trying to plug into a faulty fast charger, before giving up and using the slow charge option (a metaphor?) It was a dirty enough morning, spitting rain with a bit of a breeze too. Warmed up for 15 mins or so, then started into the first phase, 30 mins at very close to marathon pace. I’d be a bit concerned about this having not worked at the pace for a while but I slipped into it comfortably enough and the time went past fairly pleasantly as I got into a good groove. 5 mins easy then before 10 mins at a 10 seconds faster pace - again this was OK, although I was starting to play games with myself, will I turn here out of the wind, etc etc. but kept to the planned course in the end. Was glad of the 3 mins recovery before the final 10 mins which started in a favourable uptown, upwind position and I knew a couple of minutes into it that I would be closing it out without incident, not that I didn't have to work to keep to the pace. Felt great to have gotten this one done, and I enjoyed the cooldown. I like running along this stretch actually. I’ve even become immune to the fish factories.

Wed 3 Aug

53 mins with strides. The vigilant coach had noticed my failure to do any strides last week so I made sure to get them into this first easy run of the week, along the seafront on the way back from St. Anne’s with M for company.

Thu 4 Aug

48 mins easy around the Griffith Ave area. 

Fri 5 Aug

Another rest day. Had been out for a few scoops last night and the reward was a painful cramp in my right calf in the middle of the night - not the first time this has ever happened, but it’s always quite alarming and the mrs didn’t appreciate being violently woken by my yelps of agony. It was quite sore all day afterwards and I ditched the Friday session, which was supposed to be 80 steady with a pickup over the last 20 mins. I don’t like missing sessions but don’t believe in chasing them either, so that was that…

Sat 6 Aug

Marlay parkurun - 22:51

… although I suppose with no session in the legs I could afford to hit this tourist parkrun effort a little harder than I would have otherwise. My first time doing this particular parkrun, even though it was the second one to set up in Ireland - I must be a northsider at heart. In fact as I looked around it was unusual not to spot a single familiar face, as the few boardsies and club people I know from around here seemed to all be on holidays. Took me a while to find the start line but I enjoyed a slow start and then worked my way nicely through the field, increasing the pace gradually through each mile. Nice park, nice course. The hill, which I’ve read a lot about, didn’t seem too bad, but then again that was during the slowest-paced part. Another mile to cool down. Couple of laps of Fairview Park later in the morning with some Sanctuary Runners people, so a decent enough return for the day time/mileage wise.

Sun 7 Aug

163 mins LR

Volunteer credit (No. 99 😎) at St. Annes’ juniors where aquinn was RD-ing, then headed out Portmarnock direction via Clongriffin, back via Baldoyle. This was tough enough going in the last hour as I was baking in the heat, identical to my last trot out this way a few weeks ago. Took a few disappointing detours down greenways that kept running out at the edges of the vast new estates around here (some of them still only half built since the financial crisis). Eventually though there will be some excellent networks of off-road routes around this area, and hopefully I’ll be round to run them. 

A relatively easy week with the two no-run days, but no harm done hopefully. 

• This week: 77k (48m) - 443 mins
    • This month: 77 (48)
    • This year: 2,213 (1,375)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I find magnesium supplements or spray good for keeping those middle of the night calf cramps away.

• Advertisement

What, you mean it's a thing? 😜 I have some magnesium tablets so I'll start taking them again the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I get them the odd time as well and by fook they are not pleasant; this might sound even stranger and is proabbaly a coincidence but they hit me if I regularily eat bananas the preceding days. Maybe its my imagination.

people seem to have missed you were on the lash that night...😂...the only times the night cramps have ever happened to me is under the exact same circumstances.

At least someone is paying attention. 😁

And I was hoping it might have been the bananas - of which I eat many.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Week of 8 Aug

There was a pretty big-looking week in store, although I ended up making a total balls of the Weds workout - just as the plan starts to move away from two midweek sessions to one. But I think we managed to rescue things in the end.

Mon 8 Aug

45 mins recovery around Dublin Port. My recovery pace can be very, very slow indeed and this was one of those, more because of fatigue than the heat - feeling quite bunched after the Sunday long run.

Tue 9 Aug

66 mins easy, on the Howth Rd/ St. Anne’s/ Clontarf loop.

Wed 10 Aug

2 miles @ 7:30, 5 x 1k @ 8:10. I’d always felt this looked a bit odd and should have gone back to check the original instructions that I’d transcribed (badly as it turns out) into the google doc that I use for my plan as I like to be able to access from anywhere. It looked far too easy compared to what we have been doing and of course the answer was obvious - it was supposed to be 5 reps of 2k @ 7:30 with float recoveries at 8:10 (I know, I know, two mistakes in the transcription). I was doing this early morning and sent a query to the coach even though poor DD was on holidays but didn’t wait long enough for the response, which would have cleared it all up. Anyway as I was doing this I just went with it and decided there must be some really clever masterplan at play. Let’s just put the whole thing down to a senior moment. The Royal Canal looked magnificent in the early morning sunshine, so not a total loss.

Thu 11 Aug

Rest day

Fri 12 Aug

48 mins @ recovery. Too hot to be a hero!

Sat 13 Aug

LR ‘with stuff’ - 3m easy, then followed by four fartlek-type reps of 5k each, then 4m easy. The reps alternated 1k sections @4:37, 5:04, 4:37, 5:04, then 1k recovery. The coach had come up with this idea an alternative to redoing the botched Weds session, so it considerably spiced up what was originally scheduled as 18-20 mile very easy. M offered to join me so we met up nice and early to miss the heat and did the business end of this run between Clontarf coast, Sutton and Baldoyle. It was great to have the company and we hit the numbers pretty nicely, chewing up the miles, you know the way these structured LR sessions take your mind off the remaining distance. The timing even allowed me to do the final very easy miles at St. Anne’s parkrun.

Very challenging, enjoyable and confidence-inspiring long run that crept up towards 21 miles in the end (despite the 19.92 that was showing on Strava and giving some OCD running friends a bit of distress).

Sun 14 Aug

Back to Donegal for a few days. 50 mins recovery on the local loop. Felt pretty good considering.

So a decent week in the bag in the end. The Sunday LR is the longest I’ve done in years, and one of the trickiest. Delighted to have come through it feeling strong, recovering well. This DD fella seems to know his stuff. 😉

• This week: 85k (53m) - 8 hrs 1 mins
    • This month: 162(101)
    • This year: 2,298 (1,428)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really nice week there D! Glad to see other people have those senior moments too😉 Looking forward to racing seeing you at FD on Sat😜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

That's a cracking long run D.

Week of 15 Aug

Big midweek session, and Frank Duffy at the weekend.

Mon 15 Aug

50 mins easy with 10 x 20s strides on the local Donegal loop. Bit of an angry run so not very restorative unfortunately (although it was still slow!)

Tue 16 Aug

40 mins easy.

Wed 17 Aug

Progressive tempo: 4k@4:59, 4@4:46, 4@4:40, 3@4:33

Was in bed early the night before this one, which looked tough - I’ve done this kind or run before but usually with less volume or a bit of recovery between sets. Chose the Killybegs waterfront again, with its flattish km around the piers that gives way to a small hill and a draggy second km, so it would basically be an up and down for each set. 3k to warm up and then I wasn’t particularly thrilled to find the first, steady set feeling a bit sluggish, although that’s often the case. The second set is just shy of marathon pace, and that didn’t feel much better, with the hill in the second km taking a bite, although I would recover over the remainder. By the end of this set I was well into it and found the pickup in pace manageable but again had a very slow 2nd km. I opted to avoid the hill on the final set, which felt a good bit harder than the pace, which is slower than HM. There were a few barfy moments but I was very close overall to the required numbers so will call it a win. 

Normally I wouldn't run a session as big as this as close to a race day, but I was reminded by the coach that 'racing during marathon training or base building is good, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the training.'

• This week: 36k (23m)
    • This month: 198(123)
    • This year: 2,334 (1,451)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

You're doing savage training D. Good luck in FD, hope you have a super run without compromising your training for the windy city.

Advertisement