Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maruyama Hedgetrimmer

Options
  • 30-07-2022 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Folks,ive narrowed down my search to get a Maruyama hedgetrimmer ,but cant decide between the 237 \238 and 239 models,not much info on the Manufacturers website or sellers regarding specs difference?. Im looking at possibly going with the middle model the 238 and in the longer length 30".Any ideas on technical differences between them ,also best seller.Thinking of going with Monaghan Hire as im based in Meath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Links?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Pfft, buy whatever is locally supported, you can hardly go wrong with a Stihl or known Japanese brand.

I've just had a look at them and they seem extremely expensive in Ireland.

https://mower.ie/categories/maruyama-hedgetrimmers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Maruyama are commercial grade equipment. Lots of golf club maintenance use that brand.

I see nothing wrong in spending that money as it will be a wise investment long term.

I’d ignore Jim’s post, not helpful at all.

• Advertisement

I'll guarantee I've got as long out of hedgetrimmers costing much less than those. And I use them a lot on 260ft of hawthorn, 150 ft of Thuja, and 120ft of beech, in addition to trimming Heather and box throughout the garden. It's hardly unhelpful to point out that a brand is not designed for domestic users if the person enquiring is a domestic user nor to consider them expensive for the use they may be put to by the OP. If he needs commercial grade then fair enough but if he doesn't there's no gain in going for Maruyama.

I have a professional chainsaw and I’m a domestic user. The efficiency in using professional tools you should try sometime.

Look the OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. You don't agree. Big deal. It's a discussion forum.

Chainsaws are a completely different kettle of fish,

Calm down Jim, pour a cherry. I can guarantee if you had that maruyama for a week you would never go back to whatever brand hedge trimmer you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I had one of those Maruyama long reach hedge trimmers, cost over €500 at the time.

Sweet little engine, nothing but trouble from the cutting head.

Kept going out of order and repaired several times.

Eventually needed a new head costing over €300 for the part alone.

I abandoned ship after a couple of years and bought an electric one in Aldi for €60 and got five years trouble free work out of it and then only needed new motor brushes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Expensive in relation to what?.Stihl Echo,Husky etc are similiar priced on models.Ive actually gone away from the domestic Stihl stuff ,some the engines were nightmare to start.Anyway from what ive read and reviewed they are a top brand ,just wanted opinions on the models ,thanks

Interesting as i was led to belief the cutting and blades is what sets the Japanese manufacturer apart from Stihl etc.I heard their blades were supreme and kept their edge much longer?.Did you get decent local agent back up.That does concern me a little as its all Stihl and Husky around me locally ,have to go a bit over an hour to the Maruyama agent when i do decide on model.

I wouldn’t let one users bad experience cloud your judgement. Perhaps that user was inappropriately using it who knows.

Maruyama are a serious machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Have a look at Tanaka to, few hire places use them which is a good sign.

With any two stroke engine for occasional use, Aspen is a great idea.

Unless you are meticulous in keeping fuel fresh and have mix right it's the most likely cause of trouble

At current prices that is double what I'd pay for hedge trimmer and I tend not to stint myself when it comes to buying tools. I have a Husqvarna 122HD60 Hedge trimmer (maybe an older model) which is €200 cheaper than the cheapest Maruyama (price from https://irishmowers.com/husqvarna-hedge-trimmers.html).

If I was back working commercially I can't think of a good reason to pay that amount for a hedge trimmer unless there is something really special about the Maruyama I don't know about.

In my professional experience the cutting head is what wears out and starts doing a really crappy cut long before the engine. Yes you can do some work to sharpen the blade but there comes a time when the blade has too much damage in the flat area between the cutters that can't be ground out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have a look in your local hire place and see what petrol hedge trimmers they hire out. These are usually robust & good enough to withstand a good bit of use, without being too big an investment. At the point of the curve, where spending more gains little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There was no problem with the actual blades it was the mechanism that let it down. The agents were very helpful and tried to get it going right several times. When they wanted me to shell out for a new head I just gave up on it and ended up giving it away to a local handy man to use for spare parts. The little Mitsubishi engine was still ticking over like a swiss watch.

You are right, one swallow never made a Summer, maybe I got a dud one.

The use was just normal as with other machines. Same hedges, same operator.

That actually makes it sound worse? They buy in the engines and the bit they make fails.

Cheers,Id assumed Tanaka have gone out business? ,however i was looking at Echo hedge trimmers too ,another decent Japanese brand.Always use Aspen and in particular when storing ovet winter My stihl chainsaw was a nightmare to start every season but since started using Aspen years ago never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Your only profession is posting scutter on baords.ie 24/7

• Advertisement

I do apologise I suggest you add me to your ignore list if you find my posts problematic.

Cop yourself on. I don't see your valued opinion on the hedge trimmer anywhere.

So decided on the Maruyama longer 30" blade and guess what everywhere is out of stock ,Most havent even got the 24" model,there is monaghan hire who have the 24" but i really would prefer the longer 30" blade.There is not many people selling them even though they are an exceptional trimmer,may have to wait till next season for a 30" blade model 😕😕

Have you tried the 30" tbh I have rarely used one but when I did I found it a little too long for some of the work I did on chest high hedges and a little inaccurate on really good hedges (the last few inches can cut deeper than you want before you've noticed it). Perhaps if you are regularly doing 15ft tall leylandii every inch counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

As a Galway man myself I have a request , please change your username in case people think you're a representative sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

I started off using 24" single sided as sales guy said one sweep will cut all.....with 25 years experience as a gardener I would now use nothing but 30" double sided Stihl hedge trimmers. The 30" will make cutting hedges a hell of a lot easier and straighter. The downside of these professional machines is the extra weight which has to be taken in to account with prolonged use. Get whatever machine you are interested in in to your hands and make a decision then.

Had my van cleared out before Christmas 3 years ago so had to buy again, they took everything Stihl and left the rest. Bought a 30" Stihl and a 24" Tanaka hedge trimmer to get going again, the Tanaka was highly recommended but a toy compared to what I was used to so ended up replacing with another Stihl 30".

Advertisement