Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Has everyone been asked to scan the room before their interview? I’ll have to give the spare room a good clean if that’s the case 😄

Also has anyone used notes? I’d assume no and it Might seem like a stupid question but we had internal interviews recently that let candidates bring their application form and notes in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 claireisaman

You're definitely allowed your presentation, report, and original application on hand. So I doubt they'd notice if a few notes slipped in there too. But I'd say you wouldn't want to be reading from them too much since they can see where your eyeline is. They didn't ask me to scan the area at all. That could have just been the panel I had though, I don't want to lead you astray either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 claireisaman

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hungerjames

You don't have to scan the room but I found the 'blur' effect on Zoom very handy for the interview - it takes away the background altogether in a way that isn't distracting for the viewer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fakeblondexxx

Hi lads,

I’m down for the Clare panel so will be waiting for shortlisting result – I got high on First stage of comp.

I have a few question below, if someone can give me a steer, I would be most grateful.

Do we have the same board of interviewers for competency based interview and presentation exercise

Do we get a list of topics to choose from or do they allocated one topic only to each person

Is everyone allocated the same topic

If they say only spend ¾ hour on presentation – how are we to do Research

Is research necessary

What broadly are the issued they want us to present on topic 

I’m going on holidays so just working on competency based interview at moment – pre-empting questions on that

But time flies and PAS are so unpredictable –

• Advertisement

Presentation and interview are both done together, one after the other, by the same interviewers.

You are given a list of three topics to choose one from, roughly a week in advance. They seem to vary per person, so there is no point preparing anything now until you get given them. Some research will probably be needed as the intent is to measure your ability to do the HEO competencies of which 'judgement, analysis and decision making' is one.

The actual topic itself isn't really the test, it's a method to uncover what type of manager you are, how you go about things, the way you tackle something like this etc. They want to find out more about you as a person and this is an avenue into that.

They estimate you should spend 3 - 4 hours on it total, but you get a full week to do it, so if you want to spend a bit longer on it that's grand. The week is plenty of time, though, so don't worry at this stage, and the 10 minutes fly by. The interview prep you're doing instead at this point is a better use of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 megger

Have they mentioned anywhere what the pass mark is for each competency?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 knickyb

40% of the marks available

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭boccers

Just to compare, has anyone done this presentation that also did the interdepartmental one last year? I found the one last year absolutely rotten and 3-4 hours wasnt even close to what I and anyone else I spoke to spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mrtweed

I didn't even get to that stage in the last competition - how did you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭boccers

Failed on one competency in the presentation. To be honest the topic choice I got was awful and I really struggled to get anything with it so I kind of knew what I was presenting wasn't really hitting the brief but I just had to get something done so I went with it. Some of the other topics people would have gotten would have been easier but I think I was just very unlucky.

Not today then I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭applejunkie

Will be Friday at 5 i'd say, they love putting out results on a Bank Holiday weekend 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HEOhopeful

They can send them whenever they want, once it's a pass. :D

Does anyone know how annual leave works. I've just over 5 years service so got my first annual leave increase a few months ago. If I get a HEO position will I start off on 29 days and have to be a HEO for five years before I get another increase or will I carry across my increase and have 30 days AL?

I reckon Thursday at 3PM. Desperate to know at this stage. Best of luck if more people are interviewing this week

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

Yeah I can't wait to be put out of my misery, waiting to hear back is always awful and it's gonna stress me out all week!

I keep flipping between being optimistic and remembering all the questions I wasn't happy with the answers I gave. Trying to err on the side of pessimism though since I've not had much luck with other interviews and I'm paranoid I missed something with the competencies again. And the presentation being marked separately is also stressing me out because it wasn't for AO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

You'll have 29,and will have to do 5 years as a HEO to get to 30.

(The others stack from CO to EO, but not to HEO.)

I've made an enquiry with PAS, interview results are being issued in "early August" so don't be on tenterhooks this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fakeblondexxx

Thanks hungerjames for the earlier info. Just back from my holidays. Good luck to all those awaiting results. It can be an anxious time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Acquiescence

This is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mrtweed

I was really hoping for some results before the long weekend. Good luck to all.

If we're successful can we all post our new Departments as well? Mostly out of nosiness, but I'm also curious to detect patterns! 😂 I was first up on the first Monday and it's literally all I've been able to think about ever since - I really hope "early August" means Tuesday when they're back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 megger

I honestly can’t understand what the delay is in getting results out! Every other part of this competition has been fast tracked and now they hold off on this part? I was on holidays this week and really found it difficult to switch off from work simply because I’m constantly waiting for results to be released

Got 4 messages on my way home from work and spent the whole drive thinking one of them must’ve been the results…turns out they were all from the EO competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just to let you know, I’m in batch 1 and wasn’t able to attend the 2 weeks of the interviews so I’m on a reschedule list. I haven’t received a date or topic for presentation yet. I rang the other day to query this and they said that these interviews will be in Mid-August. I asked would that mean I’m in Batch 2 and they said no. So, I don’t know, they’ve to give 7 days notice for the presentation and I think I got about 10 days for the interview date… Logically thinking they can’t give results until all the interviews are done. Don’t quote me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

I got the "regret to inform you" message so they've started anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dowdly

Hey Everyone. Results are out! 62 OOM in Dublin. Do you think that'll be called?

Commiserations to anyone who didn't pass. Keep trying, this was my third attempt, and it's the first time I passed. Irrespective of outcome, I think it's a great achievement to have made it to the final round of interviews.

Post edited by dowdly on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Pretty quickly I'd imagine, they usually get through a few batches

• Advertisement

I got it! Best of luck everyone.

Advertisement