Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Crimson King

52 year old male, less than 1 year full Irish license (driving test over 30 years ago in Germany, but after coming to Ireland I exchanged my license for an Irish one last year), no driving experience in Ireland, so 0 years NCB and 0 points. 1 additional named driver (spouse), same circumstances. New electric car (2022 Nissan Leaf 62kWh). With all that, I agree this might be a bit of an edge case, but still an interesting experience when I went looking for a comprehensive insurance and checked out 14 insurance companies:

• 9 of them, i.e. AnPost, Arachas, Aviva, AXA, Bank of Ireland, FBD, KennCo, Supervalu (underwriter of AXA), and Zurich refused to provide an online quote without stating any reason. In addition, some of their websites looked like total rubbish from days long gone, so I'm kinda glad it didn't work out. How much can you trust an insurer whose website looks like complete crap, and who are even unable to provide a reason for refusing a quote...? Doesn't bode particularly well when I actually need to make a claim or something. Amateurs. :-)
    • 2 of them wanted to install a spying box in my car to trace my every move (speed, acceleration, GPS data and whatnot), which was completely out of the question not because I like to speed (quite on the contrary, I'm a very cautious driver), but for privacy concerns, but at least they were able to provide an online quote: GetSetGo - 1469 EUR, 123 - 846 EUR.
    • Its4Women: 1937 EUR
    • Liberty initially insured me for 753 EUR, but they got the trim and value of my car wrong from the registration number provided. Their website is so **** that the trim only appeared AFTER paying for the insurance, namely in the documents! So I called them and they said that to correct that, I'd need to cancel and go through the entire process again not online but over the phone, so you can imagine what I said to those amateurs as well. :-)
    • Which left me with just 1 company, Allianz, that did EVERYTHING right from beginning to end: modern, great looking, very functional and easy to use website, car trim recognized correctly from the registration number (even including the extra front LED lights!), and the best thing was that they offered the most competitive price of them all, namely 670 EUR, with a better standard package than Liberty. Needless to say I went with them, after a week of searching and scratching my head at the way Irish companies try to do "business" over here. :-D

And just to punish the other 10 amateurs, 2 spying lovers, and 1 prohibitively expensive one, I'm gonna stay with them till I die. :-D

Post edited by The Crimson King on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

anyone got Aviva car insurance promotional code please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a quote for the missus as a ballpark figure, she's named on my policy but will get her own policy once my new car arrives later in the year.

172 Golf 1.0 petrol, 29 year old, learner permit, 3 years named experience, me on the policy - €650 with Liberty.

Me, 30, full license, 4 years NCB - €616.

Having me on her policy drops it around €150 but still a very good price. My first policy was €2,500 with a named experienced driver bringing it down €500. I'm surprised named experience counts for that much considering a named learner generally doesn't have a ton of driving time. Cost very little to have her named on my policy too, maybe €300 for the 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ctgg

I just got a quote from AXA (after getting quote through AIB) for €400 -30yo 2016 Skoda Octavia Vrs- but there's something not sitting right with me. Apparently for me to drive my girlfriends car she would have to be named on my policy?

Never heard of this before, would have assumed if we both had Open Drive we would be sound.

Anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Assuming your policy has "driving other cars" cover which most should then you can drive her car without her on your policy and without open drive. If she lives with you she is then a partner then your policy may not cover damage to her car but should cover the third party car if you're at fault.

Looking at my Aviva documents as an example, it says it won't cover damage to the other car if it's owned by a partner or doesn't have its own policy. However under third party liability of driving other cars it doesn't have a clause for it being a partners car so if I was driving my girlfriend's car and I cause a crash it will still have third party cover but if it was a friend/family member's car it would be comprehensive cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

Anyone any good brokers they'd recommend? Been with marsh last two years and they've been good but premium has hardly dropped this year

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Just a bit of info:

Wife got her insurance with itsforwomen.ie this year, lowest by far after a few yrs being non-competitive. Changed car today and had to swap the new car on to the insurance, very easily done online and better still no charge for same, so many companies charge for the slightest admin these days, so this was a welcome surprise. If you are ok with dealing online they have been easy to deal with in our experience. Have to print your own disk, but again a lot of places doing that now and not a major issue for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

Campion my best quote so far, definitely seem to be getting better deals from brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭NATLOR

56 YO male 2014 Honda civic 1.6 diesel. Full license and NCD

370 comprehensive last year with FBD this year 414

Zurich same cover 295

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭djan

Coming up to renewal and strangely enough with an additional year of NCB having tried most of the brokers/comparison sites they are all coming in at least 400 EUR if not double the renewal quote. I wonder if the car coming to its 10th birthday is a factor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Beagslife

Peugeot 207 2008 1.4 petrol. New Insurance for me with Allianz. Fully comp with normal extras and BP €475 (Full clean licence and NCB).

I'm not sure if it's allowed. If not please ignore.

As I was living abroad till recently, I need to get my NCB documents translated from Portuguese. My insurer requires translations by Official Irish Translation company. Are there any recommendations out there for one's you have used. Would prefer not to go down the Google route!

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try ringing the Portuguese embassy in Ireland, or the Irish one in Portugal - they may have a list of translators.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭cagefactor

Bank of Ireland renewal - 490. Cost last year 370.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

BOI

407 last year with customer discount

656.90 and if im a customer 526 so im thinking of moving back an paying the 72 bank charges as with EBS moneymanager at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Me & the Mrs - both late 40s - both driving years with no claims

151 Volvo XC90

No 2nd car in the house

Renewal with BOI = €470 (up from €378 last year)

Zurich = €472

123 = €491

Allianz = €592

Aviva = €611

Chill = €472 (same as who BOI outsource it to)

AXA = €537

FBD = €555

Its4women = €455

Will give BOI a ring & see if they'll drop it a bit but either way I'll probably stick with them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mid 40's with 1 year no claims (was named driver for 10 years plus). Never had a claim.

New car bought last summer so cheapest for me being named driver was RSA with 123.ie at €556.

This years renewal price with the same is €551.

Rang them and price is as is as I only have 1 years no claim bonus.

No joy with chill.

Went on Axa and quoted €337 (€500 excess) Comprehensive even though I only have 1 years NCB (I was able to tick the box 5+ named driver experience).

Is this too good to be true?

I noticed more and more we cant quote (2012 car so dreaded ten year age)

Also now a windscreen claim is a claim but you still have full no claims bonus from my Insurance (BOI/RSA)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭9935452

Ive a 2009 car and had no problems at all for no quotes, fbd, aviva, axa, alliance, an post , bank of ireland , aig chill to name a few.

Unless it's because its "import"

European car, sent out, then brought back over

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

51 year old female common law spouse, driving a joint car for over ten years accident free. Got her own car (2010 Hyundai i10 - 1.2l) last year. Still accident and claim free. No points. One year full NCB in her own name now.

Last year's insurance 583-74, steep we thought, but first year in her own name etc...

This year's quote 779-26 - wtf?

Allianz through AA. Other car and home policies also with them (at the moment). Also AA members.

Direct online quote with Allianz 538-18. AA better start dropping considerably or we and all our policies will be off.

Post edited by spurious on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Questions1245

Just curious as to what people pay.

• Your Age: 42
    • Car type and engine: KIA RIO EXE 5DR, 2018
    • years driving: 13 (Since 2008)
    • any claims: never
    • Price and provider: Got them all in a spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

renewal quote 308 third party.

went back in and redid quote via the website myself, 289 fully comp

waiting to see will they ask for my documents again before realizing they have them already.

thats 123.ie

i did try others , not even worth mentioning.

tbf, they have been very good this year with letting me make policy changes through their new web portal, very simple and decent.

has anyone won any of their competitions?

i keep trying ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

123 came in this year at €503 for me which is unreal... 30 in Tallaght with an LS460

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm just starting the yearly trawl.

181 diesel megane, 42 male but added my wife with a provisional a few months ago. Fully comp indurance

Last year €440. Renewel with Allianz 672. Adding my wife cost €23 6 months ago so not sure why renewal is so high.

So far 123.ie €740

An post 605/630 depending on full or step back ncb.

Aig wouldn't quote, suggested a sister site for young drivers with 1000+ quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Hi everyone,

I received a renewal quote from Liberty for €729.43, however when I go in their website and get a quote as new customer, I'm quoted €586! This is a huge difference! Should I go ahead and just purchase the insurance as a new customer if I'm happy with the new quote, or is this something not allowed by the insurance companies?

EDIT: It looks like the price difference is maily due to the online discount of 25% which is not given for renewals.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You can take the new quote if you want. Just because you are already with them doesn't mean you have to take the renewal. Bit more hassle setting up again by sending in the NCB and photo of licence etc.. which you don't have to do if you went with renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My 4th year in a row where I haven't had to bother shopping around.

An post fully comp and bonus protection on a lexus is300h f sport €348.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭NATLOR

€50 renewal fee! that's nearly 20% of your base price. I'd be questioning that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If the 50 was for buying yokes it wouldn't bother me.

Overall price is all that matters to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

First thing I saw too, I'm a stingy bastard I know I know😆😆

Advertisement