Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabina Higgins Letter to Irish Times calling for ceasefire on Ukraine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Russia have stated only last week that they fully intend to take more of Ukraine beyond the two republics. They have no intention of negotiating. The timing of this letter was absolutely atrocious. Even Macron is keeping his mouth shut at this point in time.

There may be a time when Russia are genuinely interested in negotiating but they are showing absolutely no sign of it right now. Higgins should have been aware of that before writing that dumb letter. That letter would have been perfectly fine before the 24th feb even in the first few weeks of the war it would have been in tune with many. But we are gone way beyond that now. The true criminal face of Russia has been revealed. They need to do some serious rehabilitation before they can be a bona fide negotiator of peace terms again. To be blind to that is wilful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thank you. What is your best guess on the end game? Russia takes 20%/30%/50% or more of Ukraine?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is amazing to see journalists beginning to act like journalists rather than churnalists. There was a time when MDH and Sabina Higgins were treated like Lord and Lady Miggledy by the media. Not any longer. It must have been a terrible shock for them to have the media become so hostile. Don't know if the calls for MDH's resignation will gain momentum. There needed to be an apology and Sabina Higgins missed that opportunity.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Direct rule came in in 1971. It was the sectarian statelet that treated nationalists abysmally. Lord Craig in 1940 'we are a Protestant state for a Protestant people '.

I'm not their greatest fan but 1970 UK isn't Putin's Russia. If the former was condemned by the European Court of Justice for internment Putin's Russia has several such crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, she really needs to explain that the wording of her letter was inadequate to the current situation and just simply apologise for misrepresenting many Irish citizens. That would clear it up for most. A bit of humble pie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Anita22

Populist for the right wing element who populate boards. Christ it has a weather forum where its main contributors deny climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

Look, Russia is a warmongering corrupt fascist kleptocracy, and you don't have to listen from a word from the USA to realise that. The real problem is with people who refuse to see the bleeding obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

not quite, you can see the different bread crumbs, unclear at the very least

website doesn't have a seperate diary section for each so the actual contents of the posts appears in the same diary category even of the engagements pages are different.

Tull McAdoo also says the letter was freely available on the it website not true, it was a behind a paywall, depends on how many free articles you have left etc... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Right so you're linking me with climate change deniers and calling my post populist, whatever that means.

Are you actually able to reply to the content of what I wrote? Are you able to express your own view?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm speaking about the vicious and divisiveness. Your posts reflect exactly what I'm talking about.

After all, no one gives a toss what we say or do on this rock off the west coast of Europe. So I don't understand the viciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I don’t know this is not really the thread for that. Ukraine are carefully calibrating their offensive to avoid triggering a full Russian mobilisation as that would probably mean the end of Ukraine as they are already fully mobilised. That’s why you don’t see any major strikes against Russian territory by Ukraine. Russia are also are calibrating their offensive to avoid having to fully mobilise for that would mean the end of Putin. It’s the nature and cause of the full mobilisation that will make the difference. Ukraine have to cause as much pain as possible within those constraints on their own territory and they are starting to make some serious headway at the moment in that regard. An unprovoked full Russian mobilisation will end this from within Russia. Russians don’t want this war.

You could go on. But Stalin was physically in control of Poland by Yalta. It wasn't just handed to him. Would you start WW3 to get rid of him? In a world already destroyed by 6 years of war. No morally it wasn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MFPM

What's tedious is you putting words in my mouth..

I didn't suggest the US run the world they tried that post 9/11 and it failed dismally which is a large part of the reason the global geopolitical situation is in a mess - imperial powers, a declining one in the US and rising ones in China, (Russia pre-war) and to a lesser degree, India, sparring off each other for reach and control.

Putin miscalculated big time on the likely response to his invasion within Ukraine and indeed the likelihood of victory however Biden and the west have miscalculated too - remember his hubris about Putin's overthrow in March, we don't hear much about that now do we? He and some within the US military establishment thought that Putin would be decisively defeated in Ukraine and he would be driven out of Ukraine - it hasn't happened and it won't happen. Now the economics of the war are seriously beginning to bite and we haven't reached winter yet, the foreboding of what's to come is real and there is clearly divisions among the Western 'Allies'. The US will put Zelensky under enormous pressure to cede territory probably the Donbas region....Zelensky will strongly resist that pressure but he may be left with no option...time will tell.

The letter itself seems to be in the president's diary section.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Absolutely, Higgins totally out of touch with what has/is happening in Ukraine, this has marred the Presidency, it’s lucky they have no real power.

website doesn't have a separate diary content section for each so the actual contents of the posts appears in the same diary breadcrumb category even of the list of engagements pages are different.

president.ie/diary defaults to his enagements not hers, afaic the only way to get to it was via her section otherwise we would have seen those screenshots too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There is no firewall for the IT Letters. It's freely available. Still there, just have a look.

Which made it appear that the letter had a presidential endorsement. Not only did the letter conflict with government foreign policy, it appeared to have a presidential endorsement and it was picked up by the Russian ambassador. Wouldn't an apology have been better?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

del for the mo

An opinion on the presidential website. Using that office to put forward her opinions.

The whole "First Lady" thing seems to have disappeared from coverage and Sabina Higgins is now "the president's wife".

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've not posted on this thread but have to comment on the Remarkably brilliant Clarification from Sabina Higgins, not that one was needed.

Tonights Drive time worth listening too, Two FG making absolute fools of themselves, it was Radio Gold.

An astonishing and disgraceful witch hunt motivated by political revenge has fallen on its Aras.

Dispicable and very personalised comments made by one colourful FG senator trying for a Political rehabilitation were disgraceful, he's now blocking some from seeing his Tweets such is the backlash.

Game, Set and Match Sabina Higgins on the most elegant, Delightfully worded slaps I've ever read 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

How is she out of touch? She expressed an opinion, the fact that the NATO lickspittles in the media don't like her opinion is irrelevant. Far from marring the presidency, it will enhance her reputation when precisely what she's arguing for happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Because you've been in it several times. Free for her friends who said they wanted it see the letter. I read it free myself. Her excuse was hogwash.

the letters page is behind a paywall along with most of the rest of the site

I already mentioned it depended on how many articles you had already viewed...

she could have put it on the Smashing Times arts/drama page because thats where this all started.

Seems that one FF senator quoted in the Indo is not giving up so easily.

"This evening Ms McGreehan said she would still like to see an apology from the President for the publication of the letter on his official website.

"I would like to see an apology given. The fact that the letter was removed in the first place highlights the acknowledgment of a wrong done," she said.

"The fact remains that it was placed on the official website, and by doing that implies that it has been endorsed by the Office of the President.

"There is no Constitutional position of partner or spouse of the President. So to excuse it as her own section on the official website is a stretch.”

"It hasn’t been an issue before, because as far as I know there hasn’t been any controversial statements contradicting government policy before," she added."

At least it takes some of the attention off FFers wanting to get rid of Martin. Perhaps they might want to run him as a presidential candidate if MDH resigns.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Because if she was in touch she would not have made that statement right now. Back at the start of the conflict would have been ok, maybe again later on but the timing right now is atrocious. I don’t expect the average person to know everything about the war and it’s complexities but the average person can’t publish on the Presidential website.

She is completely out of touch and it seems there is no one around her who is in touch with the war on the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement