Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB possible scam with Revolut

• 02-08-2022 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

Take this as a sketchy version, as my mother was flustered and was unable to give me accurate details.

It started when she tried to access the AIB app, she received a message saying that her account had been compromised, and that she should transfer her money to her Revolut account. The message disappeared and she can't find it to forward to me.

She rang me to tell me this, as I was telling her not to, she got cut off, as she had rang me on whatsapp and she received a phone call from 35312695022.

That phone call was a person saying that they were from AIB and her account was compromised in Scotland, there was some suspicious activity, a pending transaction from her AIB account of €1500 to her revolut.

He said he would ring back in ten minutes.

I told her it is a scam. €1500 from her account to her Revolut isn't that unusual to begin with. But I think on this occasion she didn't have the amount to cover it in her AIB account.

I then started to wonder if the original message was telling her about the attempt. I am still unsure.

Post edited by Suckit on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,299 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is absolutely no chance in hell that AIB are asking her to do this. A scammer is.

Don't transfer anything. Block the number(s) they're contacting them on. Inform AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭YellowLead

What’s the full post? In one circumstance I had to call the fraud section of AIB after fraudulent transactions went through and AIB refunded and cancelled my card for me, at the same time giving me a tip to transfer some money to my Revolut account so I’d have access to funds while waiting for my new card, it was sound advice!

But if this was a random ‘contact’ from somebody purporting to be AIB then clearly a scam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sorry, It is very confusing. I had edited and typed a full post but now deleted it, as there were three follow up calls from this number 353 1 2695022 which is AIB international number, but if I call it, it won't allow me, until I just use 01 2695022

Couldn't get through to them as they have staff shortage since covid or similar message

The three follow up calls were asking her to transfer the money into revolut, which I told her is a scam, as it makes not sense thatn AIB would be asking her to do it. I asked her to tell them that she doesn't have revolut, and she said "But they will know because I have made transfers". I told her the scammers mightn't.

She told them she didn't have revolut and the caller said "ok mam, thank you mam" and then used 'mam' a few more times before hanging up.

They then rang her two more times and she didn't answer. I told her how to block the number but she is still unable to, so hopefully no more calls.

Hopefully will be able to get more clarity tomorrow, she is now worried about her accounts and watching them to make sure nothing is being taken out. She won't listen to me when I told her it is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,299 ✭✭✭✭L1011

100% scam. Inform AIB anyway, as she will have now revealed some basic info to the scammers almost definitely (at the very least that she has an AIB account and uses that phone number - possibly her name or more).

The outbound number will be faked and can never be trusted. The person calling is in a call centre somewhere cheap reading off a script and possibly unaware its a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sounds to me like she has some possible malware on her phone which may have been keylogging or sending screenshots of her banking apps to the scammers

Seems strange that the message from them disappeared, and is it possible to fake an incoming number without some access to the phone?

In any case, it might be a good idea to save any important documents and pictures to an external device and wipe the phone to reset everything

Unfortunately malware has gotten very sophisticated these days and it's possible for it to survive a disk erasure or even infect other devices on your home network

However, a phone reset might be a good first step. It might also be worth dialing all the security settings up to max in her email and browser to stop any unwanted scripts being run

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Sono

Is there an option to freeze the cards in aib app until she speaks to them tmw? There is in revolut; that’s what I would be doing for starters. If they confirm it wasn’t them then order a new card and same for Revolut

Yeah I thought malware too, still do. I have bought her a new phone and it was to be delivered today to her house, I think it was at 5am, so she didn't get it as it is now in an An Post Centre. I will be changing her over to that when she gets back.

IIRC the AIB app is terrible, she has had loads of issues with it not allowing payments to go through when she is in Spain, and last weekend or the weekend before they went cashless when she needed cash 😂 - as I am typing I realise all of the issues she has had with them when she needs them most, and now this. It is funny, but not in a good way. Luckily we have been able to sort it for her most times, but it really is difficult, so I can't even begin to imagine someone on their own. I have no idea how the message appeared until I get her phone. She would be pretty sensible - assume everything is a scam unless she is trying to make a payment herself. But she is adamant this appeared from inside the app when she logged in. I guess you can browse archived messages in the app?

The weirder thing was the person ringing straight away, so I am guessing something dodgy on her phone. I know a couple of kids have installed apps on it, so it could be through one of those.

I don't think so, I think she has now frozen the Revolut though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

For future reference :

A bank, AIB or otherwise will NEVER contact you by phone call, or casually text you like in the above scenario.

Rule : Block the number & / delete the text immediately. Do not engage!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

absolutely no benefit to blocking the number. They can use simple software to pretend they are calling from a legitimate number and this is why people are getting caught as the number is a genuine number.

But I agree, AIB nor any banking institution will make contact in such a casual way.

She got through to the bank this morning and it was as suspected, a scam. The girl was asking if she gave out ANY information, as she could try to help, luckily a friend of my mothers was there with her for both calls (yesterday and this morning) and was able to back her up/remember what was said and both are convinced she gave out nothing.

Regarding the message coming in via the app, she had to rush off the phone to me as she was telling me, but apparently they can do that from the website??? She maybe misunderstood what was said, but either way, it seems it is possible for them to send messages to be shown from within the app.

I am guessing that they must also be able to see when they are read also, because as soon as she read it, they followed up with a call from the 'bank'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The app relies on the underlying messaging system of the device. All the app does is filter out certain messages, if a message arrives in the correct for mat it will get displayed. It's not easy and the banks rotate the criteria, but is certainly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,093 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

100% agree, except the scammer is always aware it's a scam. They are generally some small pleb earning rupees on the dollar

I would suggest sharing some helpful youtube videos on the content with the person who got scammed. The likes of Kitboga, Scammer Revolts, Jim Browning etc are very helpful for older folk or less tech savvy folk to understand the MOs of these scams.

Also, it's also advisable not to answer any calls or reply to any numbers you don't recognise or not stored in your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd miss some amount of calls if I need to recognise any number I answer. Not much point having a phone if you're that paranoid about even answering it'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is really not realistic for most people…

If you get a call from a financial institution you should take their details, hang up and call them back on a public number known to you.

This is the message she got, just so people can see it:

Your account has been compromised, we would advise you to move your funds to your REVOLUT Account, As we would not be responsible for any funds debited from your AIB Account. We will provide a generated number for you to secure your funds on your REVOLUT app. A member of our staff will give you a call shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience

Looks ridiculous now, but as she opened her AIB app it came in, and then the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I got recent unknown number calls from

1/ Breakdown Assistance when I was stuck at the side of the road - they were trying to get more information to give to the Recovery Truck

2/ My doctor with blood test results

3/ A bank who I dealt with 20 years ago about interest they overcharged me on a loan - close to 300 euro in a refund

I'd be rightly f*cked if I ignored them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If it's important enough they will leave a message.

• Advertisement

Exactly the point I was trying to make above. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Doctors are notoriously difficult to call back. Much easier to deal with the conversation when they ring rather than waiting & worrying about the test results.

Advertisement