Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cannot wait now for the SNP to blow the UK up.

Meantime, loyalist mouthpieces in the 6 Counties are being told to 'shut your mouth Paddy' by the English and their heads are spinning.

What a time to be alive brothers and sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah stop it now. You're just repeating the same ill-informed points that were debunked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

If you're so keen on Scottish independence, then move to Scotland and support the cause.

However I can tell you with utter certainty that this will end in failure for Scotland, same as Brexit ended in failure for the UK as a whole.

You're free to prove that the contrary will happen. I'll be following from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Currently none

Why would 5 million scots stay British citizens if the majority of them have just voted to become independent? Your posts make no sense at all and I don't know where you are getting your information

The irony that the Conservative and Unionist party will cause the dimunitoon of the UK into a rump is rather delightful tbh.

• Advertisement

From that post, I can only assume you live in Scotland and you support the unionist cause?

It's fascinating just how many ways one poster can be so ill-informed, even after bring corrected.

Why was Farage interested in German citizenship? Or this snobbish Englishman with the posh accent move his business affairs to Ireland....?

Fact is, of those 5 Million Scots, not exactly everybody will be happy exchanging British for Scottish citizenship. A look at the polls should give you an answer.

If the majority vote to become an independent country, why would the majority refuse to take up Scottish citizenship? I think you are referring to some die-hard unionists who will not want to take Scottish citizenship so will retain their British citizenship. If they stay resident in Scotland, what elections do you think they will be voting in the rUK? Again, your posts make little sense

• Advertisement

Your's also makes little sense.

But that doesn't surprise me.

The discussion is similar with a Brexiteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, they sound surprisingly hard line - like DUP voters or ERG Tories....very direct and confrontational and even quite intolerant of anyone who dares disagrees with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brexit was about putting up boundaries with the rest of Europe, turning inwards, limiting immigration, a nostalgia for an empire that is gone. Scottish independence is about seeking to return to the EU, looking outwards, opening up immigration, disregarding the desire to be an important world player (SNP want to get rid of nuclear weapons for example). They are very different policies reflecting two very different countries.

Not sure if you don't understand the point I was making or are being deliberately disingenuous with that statement.

Of course Brexit and Scottish independence are two very different policies.

My point is that any indyfref2 and any implementation of independence will be the same as Brexit.

The pro independence parties will promote all the positives of independence while glossing over all the negatives.

It will be the SNPs version of sunlit uplands.

And any attempt to portray the negatives will be branded with a SNP version of project fear.

The SNP will claim that uncoupling a union of 400 years will be easy, when in reality it will be fraught with difficulty.

Now all that is expected, I don't think any party pushing for such a dramatic constitutional change in a campaign that will likely show them having a slim majority would do anything different.

But people need to be realistic, Scottish independence will be difficult once achieved.

And the SNP will play the same blame game as the Brexiteers, all the things going wrong will be London's fault, just like it's Brussels fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The SNP will claim that uncoupling a union of 400 years will be easy, when in reality it will be fraught with difficulty.

No they haven't. That's projection. The complexity is precisely why they have published White Papers about the proposed independent plan, and taken the careful and legal step every time. Unlike brexit and it's "F it lets gooooo" attitude towards their yearning for Sovereignty.

And I think you're doing Scots a disservice if you think they're unaware of the difficulties that independence would bring, just in the decoupling. Not like there isn't a persistent national stereotype of canniness and frugality to pony towards that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was not Ireland leaving the CW, it was Ireland becoming a Republic. India also left the Empire that year. The British Nationality Act was the relevant legislation - Irish citizens were declared not to be Aliens under the act. In other words, Irish Citizenship was equal in British law to British citizenship. [However, see the Emma da Souza case discussed below].

I do not think the UK has federal elections because it is not a federation.

All British and Irish citizens can vote in British general elections - always could.

As for people using the choice of British citizens, then of course many did - because they could. There was no downside as they retained their right to Irish citizens, and, just as today, many British citizens exercise their right to Irish citizens - if they can - following Brexit, without losing their British passport.

In the Emma da Souza case in NI, where she wanted to not be a British citizen, being born in NI, she could be either British, Irish, or both, and she decided to be Irish but not British, under the GFA. This led to the refusal of the British Home Office to accept this and they decided she was British because she was born in NI, and refusing to allow da Souza to declare herself to be Irish but not British. It was being contested in the courts, where she won at every step, up to the British Supreme Court, where, on the steps of the court, the Home Office gave up their defence before the court decided. [It was all to do with residency of her husband - the HO had not read the GFA, or refused to bring British legislation into line with it - or it was part of May's Hostile Environment].

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/explainer-what-is-the-emma-desouza-case-about-1.4051238

I just read through the 2013 White Paper.

I think that's a good reference as it is framed around a definite date of a referendum (18th September 2014) and an independence date (24th March 2016).

But it's very big on aspiration and low on details.

It talks about joining the EU without a hint that it may be vetoed.

It talks about joining the EU and keeping Sterling, without a hint that this may be a very tough negotiation if not impossible.

Now obviously the situation around the EU has changed drastically since but Scotland joining the EU would still be subject to veto and joining with Sterling would still be something that they may not be allowed do.

It mentions a lifetime saving of £100 million by getting rid of Trident.

But makes no mention of any quid pro quo that the rUK may look for in return.

Same with the natural resources, no mention of the rUK looking for anything back after all their decades of investment in the oil fields.

The timeline is aspirational also, 18 months to full independence and a comprehensive treaty with rUK ?

And finally it has a lot of left leaning populism in it. Reduced childcare costs, better pensions, Post Office back under national control, more money for this that and the other.

Oh and there is one more thing. Cutting corporation tax by 3% to grow inward investment. Look out Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Spain, who were seen as the threat of vetoing, totally stepped back from that because there is no comparison to the Catalonia situation. Scotland's vote, in Spain's new position, would be a legal one, while Spain contends a Catalonian one would be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you acknowledge they are very different policies, led by very different politicians, then why do you assume the same level of dishonesty to pro-independence supporters? It's interesting you mention Project Fear, as that phrase was originally associated with the unionists in the previous referendum.

I haven't seen the SNP suggest independence will be easy. I think supporters realise there will be challenges. It's a case of what's worse: being tied to the British government as it lurches to the right, or aspiring to be a small to medium size nation as part of the EU.

Interested to hear what constitutes Scottish independence being a failure? Was Irish independence a failure considering the first decades of it brought about civil war, trade war, mass emigration, economic stagnation etc.? I think the majority of Irish people at the time would have had no regrets despite the problems. Very few countries if any that get away from Westminster find themselves pining to be back. Don't know why Scotland would be any different.

That's exactly why I would strongly oppose Scottish Independence.

I am also wondering if anything in this White Paper would change for the next referendum?

Will the SNP keep insisting they will keep the pound and seamlessly join the EU, and together with the "much hated Trident submarines" every military threat will automatically disappear? Also, how would NATO react if an independent Scotland would be or want to be a NATO member, but submarines won't be allowed to be stationed in their harbours?

Also, who finances everything in Scotland which is either for free or at a lower cost than in the rest of the UK?

University? Prescription Medicine, even Menstrual products?

You refuse to answer what election these people who stay British can vote in rUK?

• Advertisement

But of course there is another way to look at it.

Right now the Tory party are the Scottish independence bogeyman.

And they are portrayed as such by Sturgeon and the SNP.

But what happens if a kinder, gentler but no less unionists Labour party come to power?

Will that less threatening government be seen in a different light by the on the fence independence voters ?

The support for independence is slim enough as it is, if the SNP lost their bogeyman then it could very well shink further.

National independence has to contain a degree of emotive reasoning;

And that seems in short supply in Scotland.

Ireland when seeking independence had an identity to get behind, it had been downtrodden by the British (Scots as well as English by the way) and it had a different religion to differentiate itself.

That's not the case in Scotland, Scottish identity is not strong enough to win independence.

So what other reasoning is there.

A gripe with the current incumbents in Westminster who could well be gone in a few years?

I think most Scots believe they are in a union of countries and it is voluntary. If the Tories and Labour continue down the current path, it will demonstrate to Scots that what they believe is make believe. The UK is not a union but a unitary state and the majority of MPs in Westminster will decide if Scots can leave. Now given the amount of natural resources an independent Scotland would have and rUK (really England) would not, they are not going to allow Scotland leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i wonder ,is there actually a study outlining if scotland would be financially better off in eu rather then in uk .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I find it hard to take serious an argument that suggests Scotland doesn't have an identity as keenly defined as Ireland. Respectfully, have you even been to Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Re Nato - as Scotland is strategically positioned between the Arctic and Atlantic (especially as the Arctic ocean is likely to become navigable as a result of globals warming) I think that Nato would be quite keen on keeping them in the alliance. On all of your points these would be negotiated at the time.

In terms of financing stuff in Scotland, this will obviously come from the same magic money tree that the Tories are going to harvest for their tax cuts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The precedent was Ireland and the sky didn't fall.

Citizenship was grandfathered in, in both directions but only if claimed. The Irish pound was pegged to sterling until exports diversified . Naval ports were kept for a while, besides the US used to support their nuclear subs from a ship there so don't even need a port there. Free travel in the CTA. Pensions were paid by the country that accrued them. Voting rights (except for head of state) were reciprocated.

You are forgetting that maybe 10% of the consular staff would be Scottish. For police and army and water companies and health and laws and other things there are already separate divisions so don't need to be setup from scratch or changed much.

The devil is in the detail. Things like splitting the national debt and stuff like Trident and HS2 are £100Bn items that an independent Scotland won't want to fund.

Compare Northern Ireland to see what happened when the big decisions were made in Westminster. Economic disparity is closing in on North/South Korea levels, it used to be East/West Germany.

'If'.

If 'if's were donkeys you could ride to Penzance.

Are you suggesting that the Tories will be in power forever?

• Advertisement

No.

I'm suggesting that you used a big 'if'.

Here's another one for you, 'if' Westminster keeps denying a plebescite I don't thing very many will be coming down off fences on Westminster's side.

Advertisement