Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anthropogenic Global Warming causes Climate Change

Both terms have been used side by side for over 50 years

You said you're a trained civil engineer. If I took you to a motorway that's still in construction and said to you 'Not a single journey has been made on this road. We need to abandon the project" you'd laugh at me.

We are in the beginning of decarbonising our grid. It is a process that we hope to have 80% completed by 2030 and fully 100% complete by 2050

We haven't built the infrastructure yet, so pointing at low generation capacity for a few weeks last year is a red herring.

I have already shown evidence that during this period of low wind onshore, there was loads of wind energy off our south and west coast and along the Irish sea

You already pay higher prices during peak hours

In a not too distant future, the peaks in demand will begin to get lower as more power is utilised at off peak times, stored, and then released back into the grid when demand is highest or there is a shortage of supply.

This doesn't mean electricity prices will be higher all the time, there will be times when electricity is so abundant that the cost to charge those batteries will be very low, so the company will be able to sell that power back to the grid at the standard rate when demand is higher than supply and still make a substantial profit

For the energy generators, currently when demand is low, their power plants are lying idle or worse, burning fuel but not making any money. With storage, the overall efficiency is greater. We will have some long duration battery storage, which will hoover up the very cheapest energy and store it for when there are prolonged periods of depressed generation, they will be able to charge a premium for this energy as the short duration batteries won't be competing with them, but given that such instances are rare, even if they charged 1000% markup over the normal wholesale price, averaged out over the full year, it would not add much to the cost of electricity.

Of course it's much more complex than this when you factor in the auctions and contracts for Difference that go alongside these kinds of infrastructural investments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I don’t pay higher prices at peak times.

I have t activated my smart meter.

Still on the old plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Nope. That particular academic paper is an exercise in stating what we don't know - but then proposes that if more research (with lots more research funding) is undertaken then we might.

And this is what the paper boiled down to and I quote.

We suggest that it is time to seriously scrutinize the best way to expand our research horizons to cover this field. The proposed “Climate Endgame” research agenda provides one way to navigate this under-studied area. 

We are currently discussing those green policies which are are badly thought out , poorly implemented and/or not fit for purpose and not proposals for academic funding by academics like Rockström who seem to have a finger in many pies already.

Akrasia I appreciate you subscribe to the doomsday / civilisation is going to end very shortly version of events. I don't and neither does the IPCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is just a basic stupid statement. It has always been Global warming, ie an average rise in temperature across the globe. Global warming causes Climate Change, ie a change in the weather patterns over an extended period (30 years to be precise) in a local region of the planet.

It was never one without the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The point you continually attempt to ignore is we have been on this journey. Over 300 wind farms in the Republic with installed capacity in 2021 of 4,300MW and for long periods in the last year all they were supplying was 400MW or even less on 3 such occasions. That`s not a red herring, and rather than a motorway it`s a road going nowhere.

If you want to get to 80% by 2030 when low wind on-shore plus hydro are providing 6% or less, then off-shore will have to provide the other 74%. To achieve that you need to know what the lowest wind off-shore is at any given time to determine the number of wind turbines that will be required, and nobody seems to have an answer. It has nothing to do with installed capacity, (which is meaningless for wind), nor has it anything to do with the percentage of installed capacity generated over a year.

If you do not know the lowest percentage of installed capacity produced, then you cannot determine the number of turbines needed to generate any percentage. Be that 80% or 100%. Not knowing that is just ploughing ahead with an open cheque book with no idea what the final cost will be. Nobody builds a motorway on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can you imagine the uproar if an energy saving policy like this was introduced here in Ireland. I'd say these things will become the norm in coming years.

The grid is moving towards demand based pricing. Smart meter tariffs are a deliberately confusing but some of them offer 3 tariffs, night, day (off peak) and Peak. If you want yo draw down lots of power during peak times you would go on a tariff that doesn’t charge extra for these times but would charge more than the off peak day rate

If you feel you can avoid drawing energy from the grid during peak hours, then you can go on this tariff and have cheaper bills. This could be done without a battery but would involve planning energy intensive tasks to avoid peak hours.

Either way reduces peak demand

In a renewable dominated grid peak would be more yo do with availability than demand, so planning would be much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is equally as stupid as talk about how millions are going to die if we do not do something. Like increase carbon tax, and getting rid of half of our herd. While majority of the world population could not care less.

All that talk about renewables and some magical battery storage is make believe stuff not backed by any reality. There is no affordable technology invented yet not to mention built to support even bigger EV adoption but sure lets ban ICE cars and hope for the best.

Sorry but most of what you think that is going to happen is just crazy talk.

• Advertisement

How's that work? When you get a smart meter - is it mandatory to sign up for one of the new tariffs or is the default opt out 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Do the Greens really think they can compel farmers to reduce their numbers of cattle? Don't they know that it would be unconstitutional to confiscate livestock?!

What's the point in reducing the national herd when beef is still imported from Brazil?

What's the point in banning peat-harvesting and turf-cutting when Ireland imports such fuel from abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Wait did we not in that lisbon treaty Give overriding powers to the EU in relation to local laws. EU law is paramount. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

So the govt is going to confiscate livestock from any farmer who doesn't co-operate with the herd-reduction plan? It could lead to a battle going all the way to the European Court of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Not my point it's an easy out for them. Just like water charges, On that one they failed to read the fine print and charges had already been through the EU courts and lost. Not so sure with the beef.

If you can be wrong about such a basic fact as naming global warming, what else are you wrong about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They installed one at my place last year but I've quite happily stayed on my existing plan. Got an email about a week after installation pushing the new plans but all I could see was that it would end up costing me more - no thanks.

I think Eamon Ryan or similar was talking about these new plans being made the default post install, but with an opt out option available for those who wanted it.

Then there's this of course....

A policy to install hundreds of thousands of electrically-powered heat pumps in homes across Ireland could increase power costs by up to 46pc, a research paper has found.

The results, published in the academic journal Energy Policy, showed the cost associated with retrofitting dwellings to the B2 BER-rating needed to support a heat pump was “by far” the greatest cost driver.

The study found the heat pump policy increased power system costs by 30pc if 20pc of heating is electrified, and by 46pc if 30pc of heating is electrified.

You can be sure that those costs will be passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It's much worse than that green infrastructure projects don’t provide a means to pay for themselves and the Greens environmental costs imposed are skyrocketing at most companies, with little chance of economic payback in sight. This is why FF & FG think they can swing it with voter by tapping "free money" from Europe and doling out financial supports i.e. subsidies under the EUs "Green New Deal".

In reality cost of power could soar 46pc if homes across the country get heat pumps. I can't access the full paper. This madness seems to be confined to Western European countries and the Anglo-sphere (Australia, Canada, New Zealand), the rest of the world is doing it's own thing. The end for the region can only be a loss of power and socio-political instability for countries that pursue these policies beyond their financial and technical viability.

It looks like people who do not produce food, did not learn from Sri Lanka.

Let's increase the price of energy and food and make them scarce in an era when the global population is growing, the masses can get their protein from insects and vegan fake meat. Wonder what happens next? Rest of the world (all ~6 billion of them) move on without us, while Europe collapses under the weight of it's sovereign debt and lack of access to cheap energy.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Tbf fair Shoog you've got a fair few of basic facts wrong in this thread todate

The most recent being not knowing that its EirGrid and not the ESB who are responsible for providing Wind generation connections to the national grid and contrary to your assertions that

"much of the wind has been installed in suboptimal locations where it was convenient for the ESB to offer connections - not in the best wind locations"

When even a quick check shows that currently that wind generation is developer-led with wind farm developers selecting the sites and EirGrid being obliged to provide the connection to the grid or even that most wind farm developers have gone after the cheapest locations possible to install wind turbines which unfortunately too often have been marginal land in environmentally sensitive and/or remote areas

• Advertisement

Legislation specifically states that Eirgrid are not obliged to provide connections to wind farms. They dictate the connections they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Looks like the E.U. learned from the water charges fiasco and got ahead of the posse on cattle numbers. The Irish government were telling a few porkies on the E.U. requirements for domestic water charges being set at a particular level and E.U. fines being imposed for non-compliance. They even dragged the then E.U. Commissioner for Environment into it attempting to sell it, with him making a few vague statements as to it being factual. Problem was it was all a lie and the European Court of Justice had already ruled it was none of the E.U. or the Commissioner`s business.

It was an embarrassment for the E.U. Commission and one they are not going to repeat. The E.U. Agriculture Commissioner in Dublin two months ago said it was not the intention of the E.U. to reduce herd numbers and that their concern was food security. If an Irish government was insane enough to attempt confiscating cattle based on these cuts set by nobody other than this present government, then they will be on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Enjoy your hair shirt and freezing cold showers. I wonder how long a government could stay in power that forced a cut back in home heating; our equivalent of aircon?

The IPCC say there is a 18% chance that ECS is greater than 4.5c but there is very little study of how that will be reached. There are also lots of studies that have found climate change happens non linearly (ie, there can be sudden abrupt changes) We should be studying these possibilities so we can be prepared for them.

You are not a risk taker, you've made it clear that you think Ireland's energy supply is insecure and this should be addressed by building more gas infrastructure. But what of the other risks that we know are plausible worst case scenarios (just like the 'plausible worst case scenario that Britain will cut us off from gas)

Should we not be creating policies to prepare for eventualities like sudden mass migration into Europe, food shortages, political instability caused by resource shortages? Or do we just sleep walk into disaster like we do with everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Probably not long, it's a sad state of affairs that people nowadays are such snowflakes they would lose their sh*t if any rationing measures were introduced.

You have to apply for a smart meter tariff. You won't be allowed to use any of the 'Smart' features of your meter unless you do, but the energy companies are being extremely opaque with their pricing and its very difficult to know what your bills will be until you move, and then they won't let you move back (by some accounts I've heard)

If your electricity goes up by 40% but your gas or Oil home heating bill goes down by 100%, are you any worse off?

In winter the average oil or gas heating bill is way higher than the electricity bill. If your saving €150 a month in Gas or Oil, and your electricity goes up by €50 a month, you're better off

There will be some people who are squeezed, ie, people who use electrical heating now, but it's not an efficient form of electrical heating (old 1970s style storage heaters for example)

Post edited by Akrasia on

You are not a risk taker, you've made it clear that you think Ireland's energy supply is insecure and this should be addressed by building more gas infrastructure. 

I do not claim to know the future. And nope, its not me who "thinks" Irelands energy supply is insecure. That has already been well established by our Energy Regulator and others far above my pay grade.

Natural gas has been identified as a necessary transition fuel. We need to keep the lights on, whether we get inundated with hordes from outer Mongolia, our national cows run dry, Fianna Fáil decides to implement the next great cultural revolution or whatever.

There are all types of potential disasters out there. Thing is we have to be able to walk before we can run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...modern life is only truly possible with property heating etc, cutting this would more than likely cause significant economic problems, there are severe limitations that individuals can do to reduce our emissions, we re pushing these limits now, to the point theres virtually no where else to go with them, we ve been ignoring the true macro causes of these issues, and now its showing, major institutional changes are now urgently required to deal with this, yet we re still dancing around this reality.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You've kinda proven yourself in the post above this one (#12035) why it's not a good idea to be wholly dependent on one source of energy - and you're right, the pricing arrangement and information offers no incentives beyond a vague notion of "more control" (which only applies anyway if you're in a position to be more flexible in your usage)

I currently am on a levelpay plan for my gas supply which means that I pay a fixed amount monthly regardless of the actual bill. Over the course of the year it evens out and by Autumn I generally am in several hundred euro in credit on the account. No bill shock or panic then in the winter when you do need the heating on - especially in a poorly built/insulated rental property that the landlord doesn't want to invest in/properly maintain.

I'm in no rush to move to a "smart" plan (also I have a very basic timer on the gas that doesn't allow any separation of rad/water heating or any real scheduling either) and given the last point above, I don't think I'll be seeing any heat pumps anytime soon either.

Advertisement