Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabina Higgins Letter to Irish Times calling for ceasefire on Ukraine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She hasn't retracted anything from the original statement.

It's inevitable that this will influence public thinking.

A lot of this stems from the fact that Irish people no longer want any more refugees arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

You'd think that she had heard of e-mail. :) She could have even Tweeted it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree, as the old adage goes when you're explaining you're losing, and this is bottom of the barrel stuff.

As for the statement she released this evening, i am honestly astounded at the audacity of it, instead of acknowledging the public disquiet and backing down from the false equivalence she attached to both sides in the conflict, she has decided to double down and express 'dismay' at her subsequent treatment.

Right now i don't see how the President's position is tenable and expect a resignation in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The letter should not have been published. She has no elected mandate to proffer formal political opinion on behalf of Ireland on any subject especially one so critically sensitive.

plenty of other things she can write about, visiting a hospital, ploughing championships, a school visit etc.

sensitive international and world affairs ? Absolutely… fûcking… not… she is not an elected representative, she has no demonstrated expertise, she is just married to a head of state… but using that website to proffer opinion on international affairs and possibly undermine the government … just an exercise in stroking her and husbands ego… she cares not since that her husband is in his final term but that is showing total absolute disregard for the government of the day, it’s staff and by proxy the citizens of this country….disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MFPM

You still haven't stated how she is out of touch, you made vague references to timing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

He is known as... Mickey four pensions.

If you search on Google, his name and FORBES

you will find a lot of stuff that was buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,830 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wouldn't you think Michael D. would put a bit of 'smacht' on Sabina? It is bad enough when an tUachtarán Ó hUigínn, oversteps the bounds of the Presidency and veers into the political. As the office of the President is supposed to be above that.

But it is even more farcical when a spouse of an elected representative (who herself is unelected) starts making political statements. And not only that, posting them on the Official Presidential Website.

I realise she is calling for peace but it was done in a really awkward manner. Sabina is not the Pope and cannot go around making pronouncements asking for peace.

In the manner she called for Peace it definitely had political undertones. Which would ripple both east and west of Ireland in particular. And it could place Ireland in an awkward position politically as some could erroneously associate Sabina's statements not only with Michael D. But with Ireland itself. Regardless of the issue itself, it appears to me that Sabina should get back in her box. Talk about vague apolitical stuff by all means, but she should not drag the Presidency of Ireland along with her.

Jayus, years ago you would hardly even have known there was a President. It was handy number, they would rarely be seen or heard. Now we have reached the level where spouses can go spouting opinions under the associated banner of 'President of Ireland', without actually being the President of Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Have you been following the war carefully? No sin if you haven’t and tbh I wouldn’t blame you, it’s harrowing stuff and not for the faint hearted.

There's no way I believe she wrote that letter without consulting himself, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had a hand in writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,830 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah, that would be the crafty move alright. So he wouldn't get a backlash for veering into sensitive political issues. Put herself's name on it and it will be grand. But it has backfired spectacularly, if that was the plan.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

He'd be well aware of plausible deniability, even if it's very dated

Gone International now 😟

Wife of Irish president stirs furore with call for Ukraine-Russia talks

Behind a paywall…will see if I can find one that isn’t.

The letter from Sabrina Higgins, who has campaigned against wars, was slammed as a “propaganda victory” for Russia by Cormac Smith, a former adviser to Kyiv’s foreign ministry.’

Post edited by dePeatrick on

Not sure that there will be a resignation. No cabinet member has commented on this mess yet. However, a presidential election would distract people from a lot of other things so it has its upside for FFG.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Micheal Martin (or Bertie Ahern) versus Gerry Adams. At this stage, most of the FF parliamentary party would probably vote for Gerry Adams. :)

Regards...jmcc

The FT covering it is International coverage.

That other link (businesslend) is just a fake news website that mangles content from real websites. Best to delete the link.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If any evidence comes out that it was in fact written by his hand and passed to Sabina, I really think he should consider his position.

The housing comments were materially different in that he made them himself, were sufficiently broad, and did not directly reference policy.

Making commentary on foreign policy matters that have been actively taken up and signal boosted by The Kremlin official in Ireland puts him on thin ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭LastFridayNight

I just read her letter. Absolutely sickening stuff. Not one word of condemnation for the Russian invasion. Disgraceful and shameful to see this coming out of the president of Ireland’s office (attempts to distance herself as a mere citizen are not tenable in this instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

She completely sat them all down. A fantastic response.

• Advertisement

Thanks jmcc, I didn’t get a chance to check it out and did wonder.

Oh, I have, all wars are harrowing...check out the human catastrophe in Yemen, you might have to dig a bit deeper on that one, doesn't get a fraction of the coverage, cause you know they're Black (not like us, to paraphrase Tubridy), bombed by the Saudi's with UK bombs and US money but SHHHHH, don't mention democracy, international law, human rights etc...

Oh grow up and park the sanctimonious outrage FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

🤣

MFPM talking about sanctimonous outrage.

From the chap holding a candlelight vigil in another thread for the leader of Al Qaeda who was tragically taken from us by an American drone.

What a joke 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Brilliant post which sums up the situation precisely.

Yeah, it's up there with "And Ireland - almost."

Shocking stuff.

Do you accept Ukraine as a sovereign nation who can choose to defend themselves against an aggressor? This war is in Europe so of course we are all concerned about it to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Likely he had a hand in it. He has lost the plot a little since 2016, when Castro died and he went way over board on his eulogy for a man who was blasé about almost starting WW3. Too political for the office as set out under the constitution.

I found MDH fine in his first term. Anyone praising Sabina for her brilliant riposte etc is really missing the point. She should be exiting the limelight quickly, not trying to prove herself right and doubling down. This isn't a spat between celebs. She's belittling the Irish Presidency with her lack of class.

• Advertisement

Of course, it is a sovereign nation, and it can defend itself against an aggressor and it has been doing so with the aid of the Western Imperial powers...the same powers who are assisting that bastion of democracy and human rights Saudi Arabia bring destruction and misery to people in Yemen and let's remember the US argued with the Saudi's condemn Putin, you couldn't make this sh!t up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement