Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭downcow

francie you are the very one condemns others for suitable ‘stories’ - so not sure who or why or if they were being referred to as peelers, but you cannot equate a comment like that in ni as the same as if it was said it n another context. Remember this team has had members horrendously attacked by republicans for belonging to the ‘peelers’ team and another county team was singing on stage a couple of weeks ago about the attempted murder of ‘peelers’.

you need to open your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,562 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It still hasn't been explained how the 'GAA' who invited this team to this tournament, and accept it for a long time as part of competitions and other tournaments was being 'sectarian'.

I'm all eyes to read the explanation downcow, blanch and mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Disgraceful comment.

" Remember this team has had members horrendously attacked by republicans for belonging to the ‘peelers’ team "

Who in this team has been horrendously attacked?

Provide a link or withdraw that disgusting comment.

Shit stirring comments like this hold back progress.

You won't get an explanation Francie because it plainly wasn't sectarian.

It's becoming clearer now to most rational thinkers that there is an orchestrated campaign to discredit any Irish cultural activity and try to label it as sectarian. Worryingly some journalists are helping to fuel the fire.

Anything that even sounds Irish must be sectarian. Feiles Fleadhs and Football (Gaelic) = "Sectarian"

Irish language= "sectarian"

Irish Dancing = "sectarian"

Irish sport = "sectarian"

The reason I believe that more and more of a Unionist persuasion are starting to see through the bigoted propaganda, is that these cultural activities are increasingly involving Unionists.

We have the roaring success of East Belfast GAA (despite bomb alerts at their training venues)

We have the thriving Irish language school of Linda Irvine (sister in law of the late UVF member and peacemaker David Irvine) and the acknowledgement of the Protestant history of association with the Irish language

We have Fleadhs inviting marching bands and musicians from the Unionist traditions to take part and enjoy the festivities.

The bigots are getting louder and more ludicrous but fortunately their numbers are falling.

I agree, it is classic siege mentality reactions. Lashing out with words that devalue actual sectarianism. The dying throes of an outdated ideology.

See also the lundying that is taking place.

What is bewildering though is those in the south attracted to support the above like moths to a candle. Happy to be members and supporters of an organisation they call 'sectarian'.

• Advertisement

Probably will go very quiet on this thread now ...

...until one of those 19 year old self-proclaimed "Loyalist activists" with vivid recollections of 1970s atrocities, gets outraged because a Damien Dempsey song was spotted on an Alliance Party MLA's playlist

or maybe the lad that stands on the bin spots a fada on a street sign

or maybe the drunken Lord gets vexed 'cos the Ulster club final included a team from Donegal

or maybe the daughter of the loyalist terrorist gun-runner and "elected" MLA (total votes=0) protests at the audacity of the GAA applying for a grant to develop a sporting pitch

or maybe ...

Here’s your link. I’m sure there’s better ones But here is a key piece out of this one to save you opening it

“However, he later helped form a PSNI Gaelic football team and became its captain.  That, and the fact that he can speak the Irish language, was considered to have made him a prime target for dissident republicans.”

that article is from less than five years ago and is truly shocking and damning on some elements of the GAA

ps. I can read you like a book. When you can’t find me doing anything you can report me for, then you guys try to turn the thread nasty to see can that sensor any unionist.

First of all downcow, let me address your last comment. I'm genuinely sorry that you feel like I'm trying to be nasty. If you can find any instances of this please point them out and I will address them. This forum is under the banner of "Social & Fun" and if you feel that people are trying to sensor? or censor? you then we need to put that right. Personally I enjoy trying to understand different points of view.

Regarding the link; I was aware of this incident and after reading it again, there's no doubt that it was despicable and inexcusable.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Do you think he was targeted because he played Gaelic football?

Or, as the article states, was he targeted because he was an Irish speaker?

Are you suggesting the GAA had something to do with it?

The GAA targeted an Irish-speaking GAA player??? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

The man was maimed by dissident terrorists because he was a member of the PSNI. NOTHING to do with the GAA.

Maybe you want to blame the GAA for climate change?

Maybe blame Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann for the escalating price of oil?

Maybe blame Rialtas na hÉireann for the protocol?

etc.

You have nothing to fear from Irish culture. Embrace it.

I appreciate your post and maybe I jumped to conclusions when I saw the bold type and the reference to my post being ‘disgusting’. You only need to look at other threads to see the trend I expect, and your post seemed to fit that bill for me. So I apologise.

as for some of the content of your most recent post - I can’t understand how you are not understanding why I say certain things and also why you are making 2+2=5.

so I’ll be clear:

1) if you want to see how I get censored then just stick with this thread and watch what happens.

2) I can’t see why you are missing this from the BBC but here it is again, “However, he later helped form a PSNI Gaelic football team and became its captain. That, and the fact that he can speak the Irish language, was considered to have made him a prime target for dissident republicans.” Very clear to me

3) I am absolutely not suggesting the GAA targeted an Irish speaker or indeed that they ever targeted anyone. That would be ridiculous. There are far too many good decent honest people in the GAA to ever allow such a thing to happen

4) peadar is fairly certain elements within the GAA targeted him, “I'd be fairly certain guys I played with passed on my details to others.” Seems clear again

5) and you can read for yourself how the non-action of the GAA on the incident makes him feel about their attitude to peace building. It shouldn’t be a great stretch for you to have empathy how unionists will feel about GAA attitude to peace building following their non action after a senior team sings Ira songs on a platform.

That all said, I appreciate your desire to understand those who come from a different experience - I likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

No group have claimed responsibility for the killing of Lyra McKee so quit posting false news.

Thanks for reminding us that the county team members demonstrating their support for the actions of the IRA recently is by no means unique. You remind us of other similar incidents involving senior county teams.

As for only thinking paramilitaries have killed someone when they actually claim responsibility for it seems ridiculous and clutching at straws. If we followed that strategy then, re this weeks anniversary, we would pretend we didn’t know that the IRA in cahoots with a priest murdered innocent women and children in Claudy. Neither have owned up. Strange approach!

Did it ever occur to you that 'those elements' could be a part of other organisations too?

The IRA aren't exclusive to the IRA, they came from the community and had involvement in all sorts of things even the local soccer clubs.

You tarring of the GAA as 'sectarian' is therefore unproven in this case and the one involving the PSNI team.

The GAA is made up of a cross section of society including the PSNI and unionists, nationalist, protestants and catholic alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mark,

@FrancieBrady will defend all kinds of abuse using narrow definitions of same and elastical thinking. He also consistently fails to see the perspective of those on the receiving end of such sectarian abuse.

Still awaiting your explanation of what was sectarian about this.

Complete and utter nonsense.

The singing of Sean South is sectarian, as are a number of ditties by the Wolfe Tones, even though Streets of New York is one of the all-time great Irish ballads.

The GAA may not condone sectarian acts, singing and chanting by their members, but they allow it. That is enough.

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject."

As true today as when spoken in 1867.

Your default refuge when under pressure is back to their sectarians are worse than my sectarians. You are at it again with this post.

If Sean South is 'sectarian' then there is an awful lot of other stuff about our history and Unionist history that has to go.

Is this what you are proposing?

If you think singing songs that glorify sectarian actions that took place in living memory with people still affected still alive is a good thing, off you go with yourself.

Aren't you the poster who fulminates about a statue of a man long dead when it suits the agenda?

Hypocrisy much?

You have no interest in finding a way forward on these issues, you just want to pick and choose what to get annoyed about.

• Advertisement

"Complete and utter nonsense" What on earth are you on about?

Francie claimed that the PSNI pulling themselves out of a tournament was not "sectarian" and I agreed.

We're both waiting for an explanation of how it can be judged sectarian.

I've outlined my thoughts on the Sean South song a few posts before that.

There are people alive today who remember the harm that Sean Russell did to this country.

Don’t join francie in this denial. Sectarianism is complex in ni and not a simple dictionary definition. When local republicans burn my primary school it is sectarian even though 10% of the pupils are catholic. When loyalists attack the rising sun bar it is sectarian even though they killed two Protestant drinkers etc etc.

its the reason an motive that is important

So in order to prove a bogus claim of sectarianism you use two examples of actual sectarianism.

Says it all really.

Why don't you explain what was sectarian about the PSNI incident without referencing anything else? Because you can't, is the answer.

This is supposed to be a discussion about the GAA.

Your examples are nothing to do with the GAA.

The PSNI pulled out of a tournament after being invited to compete by a Co. Down GAA club.

None of the other competing clubs objected to their participation.

They pulled out "following consideration of a range of factors" (their words).

Now please tell me how this is an example of sectarianism by the GAA.

PSNI GAA team withdrew from tournament after it learned other clubs had been told it was participating - The Irish News

PSNI team’s withdrawal from GAA tournament ‘not down to complaints’ - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

It is there in black and white.

“The tournament was discussed at an executive meeting earlier this week and after all participating teams were confirmed it was agreed that all teams should be advised of the participation of the St Michael’s team — this was to avoid any confusion with a Co Down GAA club of the same name”

Let’s tell everybody that there is a gay/black/Asian/PSNI team (delete as appropriate) team taking part.

Absolutlely astonishing, no actually, cancel that, completely unsurprising that our resident exclusionary nationalists are defending this.

Grasping at straws now Blanch.

It is there in black and white.

There is a Down club called St Michaels.

Of course the tournament info given to competing clubs is going to distinguish between the 2 clubs.

The real question is why certain people are trawling through GAA activities desperately trying to hang a "sectarian" label on them even after the official PSNI statement suggests nothing of the sort.

Again this evening there's disgusting threatening language on Twitter because the council have the absolute audacity to mark out a GAA pitch in East Belfast. Some of the language ..."toxic gaa" "outrageous" "entirely unwelcome" "they'll get the message" "it will cause trouble" etc.

The orchestrated demonising of the GAA is deliberately designed to stir the pot and keep Belfast divided into us and them'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The PSNI is made up of people from all backgrounds. So there cant be an implication of sectarianism against a group from all backgrounds. So if this was a sectarian incident the sect being discriminated against is the PSNI themselves. Can you refer to PSNI as a sect? Surley it is considered an occupation rather than a sect. And

Who are we to infer are sectarian towards the PSNI? The organisers of the competition who invited the PSNI team to play in the first place? But if they were sectarian against the PSNI they would not have invited them.

Or are we to presume that members of others clubs threatened the PSNI and this is why they withdrew? We have no evidence of this.

Maybe they pulled out because they could not field 15 players lol.

Defending what blanch?

Clearing up confusion?

The same GAA who 'INVITED' this team tot eh tournament, that is USED to it playing in competitions and tournament, that ACCEPTED it's application to join the sporting body suddenly decided to be sectarian?

The PSNI that does not belong to any one wee community either.

Again I ask, were the PSNI team planning to play undercover?

You and downcow, are totally devaluing actual sectarianism and not for the first time either.

• Advertisement

The state of this.

This is the kind of 'bigotry' (the right word, used correctly) that is facilitated by the wrong use of the word 'sectarian'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement