Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

We have had 2 already media kinda hush hush. Japanese guy killed. The one that got the most traction was the horrible murders and mutilation of people from the LGBT community. Well until it was found out who done it. I dunno what bracket you would put that lisa smith into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

"They" - lmao

The illusive "They" who did "this" to London and are doing "this" to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If you had lived in London for a while say 70s and 80s and went back to the place you lived you wouldn't need to be asking this question.

Looking at our towns and cities, Don't worry you soon won't need to ask this question any longer.

The context was obvious for the use of "they" if you had been following the discussion. No secret organisation or conspiracy was presented. They, being foreign cultural populations.

You know, you could attempt to argue against points made.

They were pushed out by the total disregard for their governments own citizens and the places they lived being turned into ghettos. Saying this Britain was only to keen on colonial power so alot of the migrants coming in could of been classed as British subjects, not all but you reap what you sow.

What gripes me is what countries did we colonise, what do we owe alot of these economic migrants. Were becoming just one big massive refugee camp.

But soon were going to be reaping what we DIDN'T sow.

• Advertisement

You think people argue against points made here? lmao

Well.. you certainly don't.

As for the remainder of the posters, it depends on whether they agree, disagree, or have no opinion on what was said. The thread has seen plenty of arguments from posters with differing perspectives.

Alas, there are very few posters that support the immigration or multiculturalism angle who are willing to engage with points made, and argue against them. Instead, as with most of your posts, they submit soundbites, dismiss others points, deflect, or make snide remarks.

Yes people are really missing out by not engaging in discourse with people they feel are closet racists with 10s of thousands of anti immigrant posts under their belts. Also I'm glad you were able to clarify the earlier posters use of the word "They". I was thinking he was talking about some weird conspiracy about Jewish people trying to replace the white race as he seems to hint at conspiracies in quite a few posts. Appreciate the clarification on that one bud. Now lets get back to the topic at hand and keep the thread on course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They were pushed out by the total disregard for their governments own citizens and the places they lived being turned into ghettos.

When was London’s East End ever NOT a ghetto, exactly? It’s always been a ghetto characterised by the poverty, crime, disease and destitution of it’s population… English high society’s undesirables -

Society at large viewed the East End with a mixture of suspicion and fascination, with the use of the term East End in a pejorative sense beginning in the late 19th century,[231] as the expansion of London's population led to extreme overcrowding throughout the area and a concentration of poor people and immigrants. The problems were exacerbated with the construction of St Katharine Docks (1827) and the central London railway termini (1840–1875) that caused the clearance of former slums and rookeries, with many of the displaced people moving into the East End. Over the course of a century, the East End became synonymous with poverty, overcrowding, disease and criminality.

[The] invention about 1880 of the term "East End" was rapidly taken up by the new halfpenny press, and in the pulpit and the music hall ... A shabby man from Paddington, St Marylebone or Battersea might pass muster as one of the respectable poor. But the same man coming from Bethnal GreenShadwell or Wapping was an "East Ender", the box of Keating's bug powder must be reached for, and the spoons locked up. In the long run this cruel stigma came to do good. It was a final incentive to the poorest to get out of the "East End" at all costs, and it became a concentrated reminder to the public conscience that nothing to be found in the "East End" should be tolerated in a Christian country.

This idea of the East End as lying beyond the pale of respectability was also emphasised by Jack London when he visited London in 1902, and found that his Hackney carriagedriver claimed not to know it. London observed: "Thomas Cook and Son, path-finders and trail-clearers, living sign-posts to all the World.... knew not the way to the East End".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_End_of_London

Saying this Britain was only to keen on colonial power so alot of the migrants coming in could of been classed as British subjects, not all but you reap what you sow.

I think it’s unfair to suggest that the whole of Britain was involved, or indeed interested, in expanding the reach and rule of the British Empire, it was more or less limited to the few Monarchs and Government, and their supporters, who sought to conquer and control foreign lands for their own benefit, and didn’t they benefit, with no regard for their own citizens beyond what those citizens could provide in terms of economic benefits to the tiny minority of an elite economic class. Britain of course weren’t the only country to benefit from conflict, and the evolution of trade wars into whole scale industrial revolution - a number of European Monarchies weren’t shy in pushing forward at the expense of anyone who got in their way. “Musical borders” is a good way to put it -

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/patel-rwanda-asylum-borders-colonial/

The Commonwealth isn’t reaping what it sowed, it just took what was grown somewhere else as it’s own, not just resources, but people, and that’s why I object to this whole nonsense of referring to immigrants as “importing” people, as if people are goods and services, terms normally associated with trade. Colonists weren’t interested in fair trade then, they’re not interested in fair trade now. It’s not quite so much reaping what they sowed as enjoying the benefits of other peoples labour, while seeking to exclude the people they exploited from participating as equals in a system in which they are regarded not as people, but as capital.

What gripes me is what countries did we colonise, what do we owe alot of these economic migrants. Were becoming just one big massive refugee camp. 

We didn’t colonise any countries (though not for the want of trying at least!), small groups of Irish Missionaries took a far more radical approach - disseminating Irish culture not through oppression, but through a spirit of brotherhood, and their efforts, while wrinkling noses and causing much knickers twisting among the elitist political classes, were far more effective at spreading their message than say, the Crusades. We didn’t gain a reputation as the ‘Land of Saints and Scholars’ for nothing:

https://www.libraryireland.com/irishnationality/irish-mission.php

https://www.discoveringireland.com/land-of-saints-and-scholars/

It’s nothing to do with what we do or don’t owe anyone else, it’s everything to do with what we owe ourselves and what sort of a society we want to live in. I don’t want to live in a society which is characteristically English, influenced by English ideas of their own superiority over people from other cultures and countries. That’s how you end up with people from London’s East End imagining that they’re superior to immigrants, they’re opposed to multiculturalism, they seek to protect themselves and what they imagine they have from any threat of outside influence, failing miserably in the process because they don’t have the means to protect themselves or their children from outside influences, especially not nowadays when information about other cultures comes from a vast array of sources unfiltered by a whole cacophony of restrictions and standards which they can’t see as making any sense and don’t want to go along with it.

Their elders refusal to accept their responsibility for the part they played in forming their children’s identity and to externalise the issues they are faced with is nothing more than an attempt to absolve themselves of their responsibility, because it’s not simply a case of reaping what you sow, it’s how you manage and tend to it, or not.

But soon were going to be reaping what we DIDN'T sow.

I dunno ‘bout you, but I didn’t sow resentment, bitterness and apathy towards my fellow human beings based upon imagining I’m better than they are. Perhaps it hasn’t occurred to you that you’re reaping what you sowed already, only you neglected to maintain it and now you’re complaining because your vegetable patch is overcome with weeds.

So London’s always been a dump ,suppose you will say the same about Dublin or Donegal in a few years time.

And So because of the Irish missionaries were obliged to be swamped with migrants from all over the place.

Mind-boggling.

Before you go any further see can you answer the one question that no one seems to be able to.

What is the plan here.

Also explain your last paragraph as I'm lost to what I neglected to make me hold my views.

Not expecting an answer to either to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I received a reply from one of my local TDs Darragh O’Brien. Absolute waffle.

Thank you for emailing me, for laying out your concerns, and for providing me with an opportunity to respond.

As Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage it's my responsibility, and one which I take very seriously, to do everything I can to ensure that we increase housing supply to meet the needs of our people. As you rightly say there has been a shortage of housing for more than a decade now and we do have a housing crisis which we are working very hard to address. I have never, and will never say there is nothing we can do about it - there is much we can, and are doing.

Thankfully we are starting to see some very strong indicators and recent CSO figures show planning permissions for homes were up 22.7% in the year ending Q1 2022 (44,491) when compared to the same time period to Q1 2021 (36,252). There were 34,846 units commenced in the year to March 2022 - the highest number of commencements since records started in 2014.

When it comes to completions, in the EU, Ireland has gone from the 3rd lowest level of completions per capita in 2013 to the 5th highest in 2020 and I expect that trend to continue. The number of homes purchased by households has gone from a low of just under 25,699 in 2011 to 55,298 in 2021 and first time buyers have reached their highest levels since 2007 with over 15,065 buying properties in the year to March 2022. This is up from a low of 6,381 in 2011, a massive 136% increase.

I don't underestimate the challenges we have in housing, both for our country and for our constituency, and I will continue to work with my Government colleagues to address them.

Kind Regards,

Darragh.

I have replied with

Dear Minister,

I don’t need a wall of text and statistics to tell me the opposite of what my eyes and ears can see. We are approaching record breaking homelessness in Ireland. A decade of selling out to vulture funds is coming home to roost with rents skyrocketing, little to no stock on the market and homelessness at breaking point. 

And yet, with about 15-20% of Ukraine actually at war, we are encouraging them to come in vast numbers to use up what little resources were actually available to Irish citizens. Your colleague in government, Roderick O’Gorman, has exacerbated the issue massively by promising own door accommodation for any Tom, Dick or Mohammed who utters the magic word ‘asylum’, and then had the brass neck to try to blame the U.K. for Ireland being over run with “asylum” seekers. 

As I said in my previous email, if this is the best you can do, the patriotic thing to do would be hold your hands up, admit you are out of your depth, and walk away. The people want an election, the polls show that people want a change. Let democracy reign. 

John

You will never get a reply to satisfy a question from him or any other minister. They just throw out statistics and waffle to hopefully bore you to tears and hopefully give up.

Would be very surprised if minister o Brian had personally even read your e mail let alone reply it.

They couldn't give a toss.

I don’t need a wall of text and statistics to tell me the opposite of what my eyes and ears can see

Translation: I choose to ignore facts and data as they won't suit my argument

Before I go any further so, I’ll answer your question - the plan here is to figure out why you’re so determined to break people’s balls who come here looking to make a better life for themselves and their families and want to contribute to Irish society and make Ireland their home. Public services like health and education were slashed to shyte decades ago, homelessness has always existed, organised crime and paramilitary groups were always romanticised and leading criminal figures idolised by idiots. Immigration didn’t change any of that, or add to it, or anything else. The plan here is to figure out why there wasn’t a peep out of you before now, when the same issues still existed, and they weren’t exacerbated by immigrants either, as immigrants even when they’re all taken together, still only make up a minority in Irish society.

With that out of the way -

We were talking about London’s East End, which is only one part of London, and you made claims off the back of the documentary about people becoming a minority in their own country, because people were being pushed out of London’s East End by immigrants moving into the area and it would become a ghetto. My only point was that people were leaving of their own accord, and those that stayed wanted to stay because it was their home, they’re not going anywhere. London’s East End was always a ghetto, characterised by poverty, crime and destitution, it always had immigrants, and yer man claiming immigrants moving into the area was ethnic genocide, was talking out his arse. You strike me as a rational sort, so I don’t believe for a minute you even believed yourself what you were claiming. You’re well aware other people will believe it though.

It’s not because of a few Irish Missionaries that we’re obligated to be swamped at all with migrants from all over the place. You asked the question what have we ever done as if you weren’t fully aware that the Irish have travelled to every corner of the world spreading their ideas and bringing with them their culture and values, which they were far more effective in doing than the armies of the Empires ever were. We welcomed people here from every corner of the world, we still do, because it’s what we do. That’s what it means to be Irish, as opposed to the idea that we’re a nation who disappeared up our own hole, and then wonder why there’s nobody wants anything to do with us.

What you appear to have neglected is other people. Otherwise you wouldn’t have to be making all sorts of predictions of doom and gloom to stir up resentment and bitterness towards immigrants. Of course you’ll claim you don’t blame immigrants for what the Government which was formed by the Irish electorate, is doing, in fulfilling our international obligations. But it’s quite obvious when you’re talking about waiting lists in hospitals or having to wait hours to be seen or the pressure on our public services, and immigrants as though they shouldn’t be here, that you’re using issues which have always existed in Ireland to argue against immigrants coming to Ireland and availing of public services to which they are as entitled as you, I or anyone else are. What you neglected was the people who were affected by those issues you appear to be only pointing out now, because they’re the people would support you if you had supported them. They’re not interested in fighting your war or doing your dirty work, no more than the young people in that documentary were interested in maintaining a lifestyle of grinding poverty just because their parents thought there was any value in being dirt poor and suffering in hardship made them respectable members of the community. They don’t want to believe that nobody gives a shìt, because it means having to face the reality that their self-victimisation was all for nothing. That’s why they’re doing no different than you’re doing now - playing the victim, when in reality you’re actually doing alright for yourself, and your complaining about immigrants and the Government and anyone who doesn’t share your ideas are a tough act to maintain when people just don’t appear to be all that interested.

So the housing situation in Ireland is rosy? Record breaking homeless figures actually mean the opposite of bad news? House prices rising massively is a good thing??

Explain to all us idiots how the housing situation is excellent and Minister O’Brien is doing a Sterling job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I prefer your response to his.

Is it not time to start hassling ( with questions) these uncaring bulshitting politicians in the streets or should paddy continue to cry into his pint at the weekend instead ?

Unfortunately it's all we ever really do.

Post edited by Tonesjones on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Both your email and reply were excellent…

in response to your well articulated concerns you got a wall of text, of absolutely nothing… just BS and excuses, none of your points engaged with or addressed….such is the contempt for citizens though.… Ireland is now a non democracy… its seriously worrying the direction this country is heading…

You lost me straight away. I asked you what the plan was and you filled a post with waffle, still not answering the question. True public services were slashed for decades, that's why we can't afford to just keep taking in people to our country when our, my public services are not fit to cater for its own citizens. Hopefully the penny drops. And International obligations, don't make me laugh. What about obligations to our own citizens on housing lists, hospital lists etc. But hey keep on taking them in,the government has plan ,and hopefully someone can tell us what that plan is..

I agree I have done alright for myself, worked hard and don’t need to play the victim.

Perhaps playing the victim is more lucrative to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Those numbers are insanely low and they are coming after 2 years of lockdowns. The facts and data show that even if immigration will be completely halted for a number of years the housing crisis will continue for a larger number of years. And they clearly said there is no chance for that to happen, so I guess the next 1-2 generations will be fked for the sake of diversity and virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/wek0r2/after_attempting_to_abduct_a_child_a_crazy_person/

A video showing one of our African doctors/engineers trying to abduct a child near the spire and exposing his tiny dick and going into full berserker mode.

What is becoming of our country?

Post edited by John Doe1 on

• Advertisement

Ah right, I thought you were asking me what MY plan was, seemed a fairly straightforward question, to which I gave a straightforward answer. The Government’s plan, as far as I can tell, appears to be an attempt to keep the Irish economy afloat by increasing the population through immigration in order to fill gaps in the labour market as cheaply as possible in order to maintain the supply of goods and services in this country. It’s more of a long-term strategy - take a bit of a hit now, in the hope that it pays off later.

Our services ARE fit to cater for our own citizens, and immigrants alike. They’re public services, they’re not provided on the basis of anyone’s citizenship status, and the fact that they’ve been underfunded for decades is because of the lack of Government investment - they want everything done as cheaply as possible. You’re acting like Government can’t do both - provide public services to citizens as well as immigrants, without any distinction between the two, but that’s exactly what they’re doing, it’s how public services have always been funded and functioned.

Just because you don’t give a shyte about our international obligations doesn’t mean our Government has that same luxury, we’re operating in a global market for the last number of decades and we can’t afford to isolate ourselves from the international community. Britain has chosen to do just that and forge international agreements with other countries outside of the EU. They’re trying to keep their economy afloat too, at least that’s the plan.

You say you don’t need to play the victim, and yet here you are complaining about Government not taking care of it’s own citizens, not providing adequate healthcare and housing and all the rest of it, with the idea that were it not for immigrants, Government could afford to provide a better standard of healthcare and housing and all the rest of it. Government CAN afford to do that, they just don’t want to. It’s not a question of lacking the funds to do it, it’s simply that they’re trying to squeeze the life out of every penny and they’re sure as hell not letting it drop.

I haven’t cared about politics in decades, I still don’t, so I don’t care what Government does or doesn’t do or what plans they do or don’t have, if you were actually interested in people on housing lists and hospital lists and all the rest of it, YOU’D be doing something about it, long before now, like most people do - they support the people they care about and the causes they care about. They don’t wait around for Government to get the finger out, because that’s not going to happen, no matter how much you want to use “our own citizens” as a means to berate people who aren’t opposed to supporting immigrants. It stands to reason that if you actually cared as much as you make out about “our own citizens”, they wouldn’t be in situations where they’re at the mercy of relying on the State to support them. They’re in that situation because most people don’t care about them, and only use them as a convenient excuse when they want to point out that Government shouldn’t be spending public funds supporting immigrants or supporting the things they’re opposed to.

But that’s no way to run a country, with the idea that just because anyone is a taxpayer it gives them more of a say in how the country is run than anyone else. That’s playing the victim, making out that anyone is a minority in their own country, as though they aren’t the main beneficiaries of publicly funded services themselves, with immigrants and people living in poverty being the least beneficiaries of publicly funded services -

Heatlth:

Non-native residents of Ireland born outside the UK were less likely to have attended a General Practitioner (Odds ratio (OR): 0.62 [95% Confidence Interval (CI): 0.51–0.74]; p<0.001) or consultant doctor (OR: 0.60 [95% CI: 0.47–0.76]; p<0.001) in the previous year, relative to Irish-born individuals. UK-born residents of Ireland displayed similar utilisation patterns to those of the native population in terms of GP visitation, but a higher likelihood of having attended a consultant (OR: 1.44 [95% CI: 1.14–1.816]; p = 0.004).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266662352100043X

Housing:

Nationality/race/ethnicity: Non-EU nationals are found to be at greater risk of over-crowding compared to others on the same income and with the same characteristics. The non-EU group also experiences higher levels of housing deprivation but this works through the pathway of low income. African migrants are also over-represented among the homeless. Concerning housing discrimination, while Asians and non-Irish White people are no more likely to report discrimination than White Irish nationals, we find that Black people and people of other ethnic groups are more likely to report discrimination.

https://www.ihrec.ie/app/uploads/2018/06/Discrimination-and-Inequality-in-Housing-in-Ireland..pdf

Education:

• Migrant-origin children were somewhat less likely than those with native Irish parents to have attended centre-based childcare at age three, prior to enrolment in the Early Childhood Care and Education Scheme (ECCE) scheme, but this varied widely by maternal country of birth. Centre-based care use at three was highest among mothers of Western European origin, and the lowest among mothers from Asia and Eastern Europe.
    • Children with both parents (or lone parent) born abroad were more likely to attend a designated disadvantaged school (DEIS schools): 28 per cent compared to 20 per cent of children when both parents (or lone parent) are Irish-born and 17 per cent for those with one Irish-born parent and one parent born abroad.

https://www.esri.ie/news/new-research-finds-strong-progress-in-english-language-skills-among-children-of-migrant

The only difference between us appears to be that I don’t think it’s unfair on me to be expected to support people who have a lot less than I do, and a lot less opportunities to be in the be in the same position as we are, well, I dunno if your employer covers your medical insurance but mine does, and I’ve never had to worry about the cost of educating my child or the roof over my head. I’d also never claim to have done it all on my own, because I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in now had I not received support from other people, rather than being reliant on the State for support, or organisations that would refer to anyone in euphemistic, flowery language terms like “food bank clients”, or “food poverty” or “energy poverty”. It’s just poverty, plain and simple.

I worked in social care for the guts of 20 years and I’ve witnessed exactly the sort of behaviour that goes on, not among their “clients”, but among the people who are expected to provide care and services to the people who need it. It’s precisely for this reason that I don’t support those organisations any more, because they were often more concerned with supporting themselves than the people they were being expected to support and in receipt of public funding to do so. The vast majority of funding these organisations receive goes to funding themselves, ensuring that there is a constant supply of people who are actually in need of support but aren’t getting the support they need, not just in terms of financial support, but in terms of access to being able to participate as equals in Irish society and contribute to Irish society.

You’d know that too if you actually gave a shiny shyte about the people you claim the Government should care about, instead of just using those people to bolster your piss poor argument about the perceived detrimental impact of immigration on Irish society for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

As long as immigrants aren't ghettoed its cool for cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ2cEc_TCH8

you'd be surprised how many people WOULD protest!! Very surprised! The sentiment with anyone I know, be it friends, family or colleagues is that what is happening is madness and the Government are going to destroy this country and it's economy.

Why don't you organise a protest? Why complain that we are doing nothing? Why don't I? You see this is the problem. How does any ordinary Joe Soap organise a protest of tens of thousands? It needs a leading figure or organisation. I am not affilliated to any. In fact I have very few connections to anyone. But someone who has connections, who is articulate and can network well should start a movement, even if it is just a poll to see who would support protests, then take it from there. I hope to God we take to the streets and soon.

Grand so,were taking in migrants to fill gaps in the labour market. I'm all for that. So let's stop anyone coming in now being entitled to social welfare payment and free housing. Same as I had to do when I migrated for work. I have no objections to this.

They're recognised in international law as refugees, ie - once they meet the criteria to qualify for support from the State, they're not going to be stopped from entering the country. They're not the same status as immigrants who come here with their visas already in order. Although recently Government have decided to do something similar to what you're suggesting, and walked themselves into a whole other fun-filled shítstorm -

Referring to a statement issued by the Government following the Cabinet decision on Monday, Ms Gibney has asked the Minister to explain a line referring to “evidence that there may be abuse of such systems”.

“Can your department clarify what evidence there is for purported abuses and how prevalent such abuses are?” she wrote, adding that there were safeguards built into existing rules governing the returning of refugees to the place they first sought protection — known as the Dublin Convention — and immigration acts that were “designed to protect against the kind of abuse complained of”.

“Can you also clarify any additional protection this reservation will provide for the integrity of Ireland’s immigration system?” she wrote.

The Irish Times has sought detailed data on the matter from the department but none has been supplied.

The letter also accuses the Government of not actually providing a reason to the Council of Europe for its decision to temporarily suspend the provision. “While Ireland has entered its reservation to the Council of Europe, no reason is given. Can you clarify the formal reason for the Government’s decision for this reservation?” Ms Gibney asked.

Her letter outlines how she has spoken about “Ireland’s two-tier system”.

“The commission is concerned that this step widens the gap in provision between Ukrainian refugees arriving in the EU under the temporary protection directive, and those who seek and are granted international protection,” she wrote.

She is also seeking clarity on the data used to justify the decision, which cites figures from the Eurodac, a shared European fingerprint database, as evidence that some using the system to apply for protection here have been approved in another jurisdiction. However, the commission says its understanding is that the system records those who have applied for protection rather than those who have been accepted into another country’s system.

“We seek confirmation that these Eurodac figures relate solely to refugees (people who applied for and were granted international protection in other member states before coming to Ireland).”

Stripping visa-free travel rights from refugees will exacerbate ‘two-tier system’ in Ireland, says State watchdog – The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

How does any ordinary Joe Soap organise a protest of tens of thousands?

The same way anyone who actually wants to, organises a protest of thousands. If Margaret Cash was able to do it, anyone should -

Mum-of-seven Margaret Cash leads thousands in Raise the Roof housing rights march - Extra.ie

Thing is, we all know how that worked out for Ms. Cash - she was eviscerated on social media, the same way anyone else coming from her position would be, because nobody who's in that position is qualifying for sainthood any time soon. It's why when the CEO of a homeless charity I used work with got wind that I'd been homeless at one point in my life, and they asked me would I front a media campaign... I'd never laugh in anyone's face, I just told them go fcuk themselves.

I'm not in line for sainthood any time soon either, and I'm acutely aware that there are people who would be only too eager to play Inspector Clueless and rip my life to shreds in order to discredit any attempt to have the State provide support for people who need it. It's painting a target on their back - that's why you'd have to either be incredibly stupid, or eligible for sainthood before you'd go public like that. It's for this reason that people complain, but aren't willing to start a public protest. Understandable in all fairness why they wouldn't, so while I wouldn't be surprised by the number of people willing to attend a public protest, I also understand why the vast majority of people aren't willing to risk their lives being ripped apart in order to discredit them either.

How does any ordinary Joe Soap organise a protest of tens of thousands?

Simple enough. You commit a fair bit of time to social media (FB, Twitter, etc), promoting your cause, gathering supporters and then setting a date in the future. It's not rocket science. Due to BLM, and other protests over the last decade, there are plenty of resources online advising how to go about it.

As for why I wouldn't organise such a protest? I don't see it as being effective. Any protest would need to be regular and consistent in a manner that few people are willing to commit to. It would require dozens of marches across the country, repeatedly drawing a fair crowd, and reinforcing the message required, and even then, I suspect the politicians would just ignore you... and the media would dismiss you as being far right.

Personally, I don't believe the Irish population is angry enough yet to generate enough support. Most people still believe that the economy and society are doing well, accepting the claims by RTE or our politicians.. until that changes, I doubt any protest would do much, and even then, I still lean heavily to the view that we need a violent takeover by the people with the destruction of the current political system being the goal. Anything less, and we'd see Ireland return to behaving the same way after a few years, with little being changed except for further regulations that limit what the population/electorate can do.

• Advertisement

Except Margaret Cash wasn’t “able to do it”. The Raise The Roof protests were organised by multiple trade unions, student unions and political parties. She was just front and centre because she had been in the media at the time. She organised the square root of fcuk all.

Advertisement