Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s like the point sailed right over your head.

Well done you 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

You seem to move the goalposts to suit yourself. You stated the immigrants we were taking in were to prop up the economy and help the shortage of labour.

Really you welcome an open door policy and are happy to keep flooding the country with migrants who we know nothing about.

When I was a migrant I worked for my keep,about time the same applied to the ones moving into this country. And anyone committing a crime should get a one way ticket back to wherever they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

"We need a violent takeover by the people"

I've heard that before in far right circles. Utterly delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As if there was a point in all that waffle. You claimed that “If Margaret Cash was able to do it, anyone should”, when Margaret Cash organised nothing. Nil, Nada, niente.

Anything you claimed after that is nonsense because she didn’t organise a protest, a march, or a gathering.

• Advertisement

No, there was no moving goalposts to suit myself at all, unlike your earlier attempt to say I was suggesting all of London was a kip, or that I’d be saying the same about Dublin in a few years, and now your attempt to equate immigrants who don’t require assistance from the State with immigrants who do, because they have been granted refugee status. Were you applying for refugee status in the country you immigrated to? If not, then it’s clearly not the same thing.

The point I was making that Government are looking to fill gaps in the labour market is because that’s the answer to the question you asked. You asked what’s the plan; that’s the plan. Granting refugees temporary status depending upon their visas is a change in existing policy for which Government has yet to provide any evidence. You’re not required to know all immigrants personally, and they’re not required to be vetted to your personal satisfaction, any more than the people in the country you immigrated to were privy to your personal circumstances.

I understand where you’re coming from in suggesting that anyone who commits a crime here should be on a one-way ticket out of here, but I’d prefer that if they commit a crime against society in Ireland, that they are also subject to Irish Criminal Law the same as anyone accused of committing a criminal offence, because the offence is committed against Irish society, not the country to which they are to be returned, and their crime against Irish society is likely to go unpunished. I’d rather they were punished as opposed to being let off the hook as if they aren’t our problem any more. It’s for this reason we have international extradition agreements with other countries too, in case Irish immigrants can’t behave themselves in other countries and violate their laws.

I know, you ignored the context in which I was responding to the post. Well done you, again 👍

The point being made was that a figurehead was required to galvanise support, someone who could be put forward as a representative of the issues. Would all those unions and organisations have organised any sort of a protest without Margaret Cash having kicked off a stink in the national media about it?

Up to that point, none of the unions or organisations were willing to do so, they were and still are, perfectly happy to lobby Government out of sight of the public eye.

What context? Another poster asked how someone with no contacts etc could pull together a protest. You claimed that Margaret Cash did. She didn’t.

You are now doubling down on that nonsense by claiming that until Margaret Cash pulled her attention seeking publicity stunt that the Irish Congress of Trade Unions (ICTU) · Services, Industrial, Professional & Technical Union (SIPTU) Mandate Trade Union · Forsa Trade Union · Communications Workers Union (CWU) · Connect Trade Union · Unite the Union · Irish National Teachers Organisation (INTO) · Teachers Union of Ireland (TUI) · Association of Secondary Teachers Ireland (ASTI) · Irish Nurses & Midwives Organisation (INMO) · Financial Services Union (FSU) · Irish Federation of University Teachers (IFUT) · Association of Higher Civil & Public Servants (AHCPS) · Energy Services Union (ESU) · Building & Allied Trades Union (BATU) · Prison Officers Association (POA) · Operative Plasterers & Allied Trades Society of Ireland (OPATSI) · Guinness Staff Union (GSU) · One Cork Movement · One Galway Movement Dublin Council of Trade Unions · Waterford Council of Trade Unions · Kildare Trades Council, Union of Students in Ireland (USI) · National Women’s Council of Ireland (NWCI) · Children’s Rights Alliance (CRA) · Age Action · Irish Traveller Movement (ITM) · National Homeless & Housing Coalition (NHHC) · Inner City Organisations' Network (ICON), Sinn Fein · The Labour Party · People Before Profit/ Solidarity · Social Democrats · Independents4Change · Sen. Frances Black · Sen. Lynn Ruane · Sen. Alice Mary Higgins and Focus Ireland · Simon Community · Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH) · Fr. Peter McVerry · Home for Good weren’t protesting the housing situation and that good oul Margaret was the catalyst??

Even though Raise the Roof was founded, and all of the above were members up to 2 years before her publicity stunt. Maybe Peter McVerry housed a psychic in the past who told him to get organised for Maggies publicity shoot??

You were accused of moving the goalposts above, you’re moving the pitch never mind the posts.

What context? Another poster asked how someone with no contacts etc could pull together a protest. You claimed that Margaret Cash did. She didn’t. 

… weren’t protesting the housing situation and that good oul Margaret was the catalyst??

The context in which the point was being made that an ordinary person couldn’t organise a protest. I gave the example of Margaret Cash by way of demonstrating that an ordinary person COULD, if they wanted to, organise a public protest instead of just complaining about what they see as issues. Good oul Margaret, who you’re doing exactly what I said would be done in trying to discredit her efforts, was indeed the catalyst, because she did it publicly, whereas all those organisations you listed (out of about 500 and counting that I’m aware of), prefer to lobby Government departments out of sight of the public eye.

You were accused of moving the goalposts above, you’re moving the pitch never mind the posts.

Nah, the goalposts are fine where they are, and they’re still at the point where it’s possible for ordinary people to organise a public protest if they actually wanted to - Margaret Cash did it, anyone could do it, was the point, which still stands, in spite of your attempts to try and take her achievements from her. If she did nothing else, at least she absolutely was the catalyst for the public protests which started after she initially forced the issue into the public domain.

You must be dizzy from all the spinning. You can turn into Taz the Tasmanian devil, but no matter how you spin it, Margaret Cash didn’t arrange any protest, had zero input into any protest, lobbied zero groups to attend the protest. She was just invited to turn up.

It’s like picking a random person out of the crowd at the All Ireland and claiming that they are great for organising such a great game because the do umpire at their local U-14 Gaelic football games.

Laughable.

• Advertisement

It’s not laughable, it’s pathetic how desperate you are to be so petty that instead of acknowledging that without Margaret Cash having kicked off a stink, the rest of those people and organisations you listed wouldn’t have rolled in behind her and organised any sort of a public protest. They hadn’t done in all the years they existed (not just the newly formed organisations), and suddenly they had organised a public protest to capitalise on the public sentiments started by Margaret Cash.

It’s nothing like picking a random person out of a crowd, because she wouldn’t have been invited to turn up if she weren’t a public figure in the first place, having raised the issue with her publicity stunt, in public, when she was only an ordinary member of the public who was homeless and didn’t have contacts nor any of the rest of it that someone who isn’t homeless, has, and access to much more resources besides. It increases public engagement when there’s a figurehead of the movement that the public can identify with.

Honestly, I find you incredibly amusing.. because you spend time in far right circles.. and I certainly don't. It's hilarious that you would be oblivious enough to post that nonsense.. but then, you don't apply the standards you extend to others, to yourself.

As for being delusional, you really have no grasp of history and how democratic systems generally came about in Europe. Few of them had completely peaceful transitions, but as usual, rather than engage or argue with points made, you dismiss/deflect.

So even though they were having public protest meetings, in June and July, all around the country building up to the mass protest, months BEFORE Cash turned up in the Garda station, she was the catalyst?? Hahaha.

They had at least 6 organised public protest meetings to gauge the public interest BEFORE Cash. Hahaha.

It’s literally all on their website. Round and round and round you go. Spin and spin and spin. Truth?? We can spin that out

Yes, she was, because while they were having protests, it wasn’t until Margaret Cash spoke out that they gained any national interest. An ordinary person captured the publics interest by protesting without any of the resources the organisations you have mentioned, and managed to do more for homeless people with her protest than the numerous organisations you mention.

It’s because of her that the thousands of people turned out in support of the protests, as opposed to the small few who turned up before, and the small few who turn up at their protests these days, when things have apparently gotten worse than four years ago -

August 2018:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/homeless-family-finds-temporary-beds-after-night-in-garda-station-1.3591238

September 2018:

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-rally-leinster-house-4222067-Sep2018/

October 2018:

https://extra.ie/2018/10/03/news/irish-news/margaret-cash-raise-the-roof-housing-protest

A full list of supporters, is hardly the same thing, which is why I made the point that a number of those organisations existed before RTR, who were receiving public funding to provide services and care for people in Ms. Cash’s position. It’s they who were doing the square root of fcukall, which is why the issue got to the point where Margaret Cash and her children ended up being desperate enough to do something drastic, because those organisations weren’t interested before then in addressing the issues or helping the people they claim to be helping.

Keep spinning there buddy.

I can see it’s a waste of time trying to have an honest debate with you.

You’ve no intention of having an honest debate. You tried to nitpick and I was having none of it. That’s all that happened here. The whole reason the discussion went in this direction is because of posters feigning concerns for Irish people who they claimed were being disregarded by Government in favour of prioritising the welfare of immigrants, and claims that they were powerless to protest.

When Margaret Cash protested, her life was ripped apart on social media, because the same people who complain about immigrants are the same people who complain about people like Margaret Cash - they don’t actually give a shyte about Irish people who are homeless, they’re just a convenient excuse to argue against immigrants. It’s just pitting one group in Irish society against another, which does nothing for the people who are complaining as though they’re worse off than both groups! That’s dishonest, it’s not even debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

oookay.

I suppose I will take a back seat while you and others "wake the public up" so that the people can "violently take over the country". You actually expected me to "engage or argue" with this point?

No, I honestly thought you had the basic cop-on to read/understand the rest of the paragraph you extracted that sentence from. My bad.

The point wasn't that people can violently take over the country. You missed the point completely. Can't say I'm too surprised.

Now, I'm done responding to your posts because they never go anywhere except towards a warning to me from the mods. I always find it bizarre that you're never reined in, but.. it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Most protests are organised by one political party or another. PBP for example. Many people might be put off by that . Protests might draw more of a varied crowd if they are exclusively about cost of living for example and without political affiliation. Is that possible though?

I read the same post, and I came to the same conclusion as yourself, but not for the same reason. You suggested that most people still believe that the economy and society are doing well, accepting the claims by RTE or our politicians, that people aren’t angry enough yet, but you’re overlooking the simple fact that the revolution you speak of, doesn’t require a mass uprising, it simply requires a few people to get absolute nutters fired up enough to participate in a violent rebellion, overthrow the Government, and institute their own form of government.

I’m not forgetting Irish history, and I know you’re familiar with the Easter 1916 Rising and how that went down, and how it was portrayed in the media at the time, and how it was regarded among the various classes in Irish society at the time. Opinions on the effectiveness and the impact of the Rising were as divided as the nation was at the time. Same thing as happened with every rebellion or coup - many deaths, much suffering, and that’s why people are averse to the idea of anyone getting ideas about attempting to replace one regime with another regime which turns out to be much more oppressive.

One of the benefits of multiculturalism is that in a multicultural society the risk of an authoritarian regime emerging is almost entirely impossible. Multiculturalism actually protects democracy, and opposes oppressive authoritarian regimes, and discourages extremism from gaining any traction in society. It’s not because anyone believes the economy and society is doing well that they aren’t interested in rebellion, it’s because they’re doing alright for themselves. That’s one of the reasons why people believe that their Western liberal democracy is far superior to other systems of government in other countries such as China, Russia or the Stans, and why people from those countries want to escape from them - because they don’t want to live in a society which is dominated by an authoritarian pseudoconservative regime which is one of the hallmarks of a regressive society, not unlike what became of Iran after the Islamic revolution.

As much as Leftist, Liberal ideas like individualism give me a pain in my face at times, the alternative of an authoritarian oppressive ideology that isn’t Conservative but is just oppressive, is enough to remind me that I know which kind of society I’d rather live in. It’s not one that’s dominated by a tiny minority oppressing the majority of the population in order to maintain their dominance, becoming a political dynasty which would be significantly more difficult to remove from power, because the first thing to be sacrificed under their authority in order to maintain their political power, would be democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Russia and China are quite multicultural. So are various African countries where different tribes are massacring each other. Former Yugoslavia was multicultural and it didn't prevent authoritarian regime, war and genocide. In multicultural South Africa an authoritarian minority ruled for decades.

Honestly, authoritarian regimes and civil war and genocide are more common to multicultural countries, for an obvious reason: population is already divided.

We obviously have very different ideas of what we mean by multicultural if China, Russia and a whole slew of African countries are described as being multicultural 🤨

They’re not democracies either, they’re dictatorships -

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/dictatorship-countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Longford population has reached just over 46k now in 2022( it was just below 41k in 2016). Longford was not projected to reach this figure until 2032. A fifty percent increase in population in just 25 years.

So now we have a 15 percent increase in the population of the county in just 6 years. The only thing that have not expanded are the infrastructure and job opportunities.

The town in particular is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Asians and Africans have no business in Ireland if they don't have a qualification. There is vast areas in both those continents to build and prosper. It's not our responsibility to help them either

They do have business in Ireland if they’re coming here to study, to get their qualifications, as they have been doing for decades -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55145873.amp

Asians too, have been coming here for decades with and without qualifications, and gaining education and employment in Ireland -

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/socialinclusion/interculturalguide/chinese/profile.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asian_people_in_Ireland

They seem to manage just fine without your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Qualified or have the graft to be qualified same thing. You know what i mean. We don't owe the world anything. White privilege is an American concept it doesn't apply here. We don't need thousands of middle aged men from Asia lounging around their chosen suburban ghettos. We don't need thousands of useless Africans that have no respect for themselves or us. We got codded on our way up. Before you go taking the easy route and calling my racist etc. Rent a house on Airbnb in one of our African ghettos. No shite talk out of ya. Do it. I guarantee you, you'll question your view on immigration.

Ahh I get where you’re coming from now, and while I commend your refreshing honesty, I wouldn’t say qualified and having the graft to be qualified are the same thing, certainly not when I’d be looking to employ anyone anyways 😁

Certainly I agree with you that Irish society doesn’t need thousands of people who have no respect for anyone else, regardless of where they’re from - Ireland, Africa, India, China, UK, wherever, because I totally agree with you - ‘white privilege’, not a thing, so I don’t make it a thing by resorting to lazy stereotypes about individuals based upon their characteristics or their backgrounds.

I don’t have to resort to Airbnb either, Jesus I have standards like, but I have no issues whatsoever being in African ghettos or anywhere else. It’s a while ago now but the last time I was invited to a mates Communion party for their child, turned out I was the only white guy there out of a party of about 100 guests with all the relatives and friends. Stuck out like a sore thumb of course, but I don’t think they noticed 😂

Didn’t cause me to question my views on immigration at all tbh, nor does the fact that in about half an hour I’ll be heading into the office where there are plenty of immigrants who are well-educated and highly qualified; they would be, seeing as many of them completed their studies in Ireland, which was by no means cheap! International students fees are a fair chunk of Irish Universities income, apart from any other contributions to the local economy that they make by also paying a fair chunk for rental accommodation out of whatever they’re left with when the State has taken it’s cut of their income in taxes!

Just to give you some idea -

https://thepienews.com/news/international-students-at-irish-universities-contribute-e386m-to-economy/

https://www.mastersportal.com/articles/1708/tuition-fees-and-living-costs-for-studying-in-ireland-in-2022.html

Russia and China are multicultural by any accepted definition: population groups of different cultures, religion, language and even race. One of the highest percentage of muslims in Europe is in Russia - 6.5%. Higher than France and UK.

African countries like Rwanda have population groups that are so different that they feel the need to massacre each other.

They’re not democracies either

That was precisely my point. Multiculturalism not only doesn't guarantee democracy, but most of the bloodiest dictatorships are multicultural.

Its encouraging to see Ireland's attractiveness to foreign workers is increasing even with the obvious inflation issues

"Recent Indeed research showed that Ireland is one of only five countries in Europe experiencing a "brain gain" rather than "brain drain", meaning the country experiences more interest from inbound jobseekers than those in Ireland looking for jobs overseas," he stated.

"Ireland's attractiveness to new arrivals is supported by census data which showed net inward migration of over 190,000 people between 2016 and 20224. That's almost 32,000 people each year, with many drawn to the available employment opportunities, particularly in high skilled areas like IT, finance and professional services, all sectors where employment levels continued to grow even during the pandemic," he added.

• Advertisement

That's the only type immigration Ireland needs to experience at the moment.

Advertisement