Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think Premier have them alright, and I’ve seen at least one post from their social media team that has more or less confirmed that. It wouldn’t be atypical of Premier Sports to be so coy when it comes to their Irish operation either. I know they got burnt a lot with the collapse of Setanta GB and they seem to have been at pains since to try to convince the GB viewing public that they are as British as Finchley and have nothing to do with that Setanta crowd in Dublin which is of course not true (I think the Viaplay press release announcing the acquisition was the first time in 13 years that it has been publicly acknowledged in black and white that they are Setanta). Still it would be no harm to tell us what match they are broadcasting in 10 days time, I think.

And still no news as to what is happening to the Irish operation. I have seen one unlikely source which seems to indicate it wasn’t part of the sale to Viaplay, but nothing concrete yet.

Being reported, but I have not seen officially confirmed anywhere, that there’ll be some branding changes to the BT Sport channels on Monday. This is not to do with the Eurosport merger, which hasn’t completed yet, but is stuff BT was going to do anyway. What is being reported is that BT Sport ESPN will become BT Sport 4, the red button channels BT Sport 5-10, and there may be increased prominence for EE, which is the new name for BT’s consumer operation in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Premier Sports confirmed Premier league games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It would be even better news if they bothered sending their commentary teams to the venues 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 54,160 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Last season BT had Serie A, will it be the same case this forthcoming season?

I also presume with the La Liga going that they'll be less La Liga games on tv too?

• Advertisement

Serie A: Yes, I believe so.

LaLiga: at least in rounds 1&2 they are showing 9 games, that’s all except the one that starts inside the 3pm blocked hours period in England/Scotland. Let’s see if they keep that up once the rugby comes back though.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

BT Sport Ultimate launches as a red button service on Sky this week, so it is likely to be available in Ireland for the first time

Moving back to 429 on Monday. How odd.

Those changes to the BT Sport channel names have also been confirmed, along with the addition of BT Sport Ultimate as a red button service (presume you’ll need UHD entitlement for that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Why are they bothering to change names when in the not to distance future they will be merging BT and eurosport under a new name

Because the licensing deal with ESPN is over and they contractually have to change the name. At 9 years to the day when BT took control of the U.K. operations of ESPN it’s lasted a lot longer than I suspect anyone thought it would. They’ll still maintain a relationship/affiliation with ESPN (but will no longer be licensing the name) and the US sport focus of the channel will continue (for now) so hopefully we’ll still see the SEC on CBS there on Saturday nights from mid September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Discovery Sport would make sense for new name whenever they get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

Eurosport is associated with Niche Sports. But it has brand recogintion in Europe. Eurosport struggles already with its other brand GCN ( Global Cycling Network) on programmes. Could you imagine having to mention three consistantly.

The BT sports channels will be changed al right to Discovery Sports or somthing along the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Presenters have recently been wearing Warner Bros branding on their clothing too (not all obviously). So wouldn’t be surprised if that’s included somewhere too. WB Discovery or WBD etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media finally adding BT Sports and Premier Sports to their offering.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/about-us/press/2022/virgin-media-launches-sports-extra/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I see Sky Sports F1 is being added also. Virgin Media now a viable alternative for sport.

Only taken six years for BT to come back. Although for three of those the BT channels were being wholesaled by eir who were at loggerheads with VM. You’d think they’d have been told ESPN is gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Yeah, the rebrand of BT Sport ESPN and their Extra channels happened on Monday 1st August

Launch of BT Sport Ultimate on Sky has been postponed.

Eoin McDevitt announced Premier Sports extended their Premier League rights for another 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Quick question. I got the offer for the 10 months (€17 x month) . I did watch Real Madrid - Frankfurt the other night (just got a Samsung UHD - 2800PQI) and the match, colour and picture quality seemed great (to me at least). I see NowTV has a offer for "Boost your membership with Full HD and Surround Sound on up to 3 devices at once". €5 x month. would that make really a massive difference in terms of quality?

• Advertisement

For live sport absolutely. It made a huge difference for me on a 49" screen.

Once you watch HD (on a big screen), you can’t really go back

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

:) I was afraid of that! But we gotta spoil ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Spn744

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

Wish Sky subletted a chunk of Bundesliga matches, because they have absolutely no interest in it.

Premier Sports are listing certain LaLiga fixtures kicking off inside the 3pm England/Scotland blackout period as “ROI only” and on LaLiga TV yet as we know Laliga TV isn’t available in Ireland any more. Confusing.

for those that really, really love their Spanish football it seems they are showing some LaLiga 2 fixtures over the coming weeks starting tonight.

The Spanish second division is freely available on their website fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

I honestly think that they buy up the rights to stop the TV rights from falling into the hands of a Free to Air TV station.

The Broadcasters have invested a lot of Money in the Premier League. So it makes sense to buy up the competitions rights.

I think you’d be hard pushed to find a FTA station that would invest in Bundesliga rights tbh. It just isn’t a massively popular league here, aside from the odd FC Bayern shirt you’d rarely see Irish people wearing their jerseys about. La Liga is the only continental league that generates that sort of interest, and they’ve done as much as they can over the last five years to kill interest here (the Eleven Sports deal was a disaster and Premier hasn’t been much better…I remember not that long ago they had the lead out of Super Sunday and would be on in every pub on a Sunday night. That audience is gone to golf or NFL.)

• Advertisement

Last night's game was live on Sky Sports YouTube page. It was only by accident that I found it as Sky advertised it nowhere. Give it back to BT. At least they showed every game they could and even a Bundesliga 2 game on a Friday.

Advertisement