Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Sorry I was speaking about the campsite (Domaine des Ormes). I would expect ferry prices to increase due to fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Ah my mistake there, thanks for clarifying. From past experience I’ve found that ferry prices normally only go in one direction after first publication (other than the very occasional special offer period, although I think that these are now a thing of the past) which is why I now always book up very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Your best bet is Mcdonalds and even then you must check their opening hours. A lot of them only open at 10.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Just back and once again got some really useful tips from the thread so I decided to submit my own for others who may benefit.

- Got Irish Ferries from Dublin – all as expected but the prices of food on board has gone mad. Breakfast and coffee in particular was a total rip off. We will go back to bringing brioch and pastries form Lidl.

- Travelled first to Yelloa village park in Montsabert – was camping in a tent here. Great site and the two local towns are good. One on the Loire (saint Mathurin) and then a larger town with a fab chateau close by (Brissac). There are quite a lot of people in this area that don’t speak English so it is a bit more real French than some tourist areas, you will need to try some basic French. On the site itself English is no problem. As with all places I have been in France you need to ensure you eat between 12 and 1:30 and 7 and 9:30 if you want to get local food. For anyone new going to France this is the biggest challenge once you go away form the major tourist sites.

The site at Montstabert is small but they have good entertainment and a decent pool – slides are small enough. They have massive bouncy net up in the trees which really stood out as a top attraction for the kids and I didn’t see anywhere else. The site is beside the chateau but you cant actually see it from the site itself which is a bit disappointing.

On the way down we stopped by the German gun emplacements at Longues Sur Mere – This meant we had to take the toll road after which added about €35 to our journey but the site is so impressive it is well worth a visit.

While on this site we also went to CineScene in Puy du Foy. We had done the park in Puy du foy before but Cinescene is on a totally different scale. It would be a big ask to do both in one day but I highly recommend anyone to go to the show if you can get ticket. If you can only do one then the park is probably better but it is worth going back for Cinescene. We had planned on going you the park later in our trip but is not the sort of place you want to spend a day at 40 degrees so we cancelled.

Moved on to Clarys Plage in Jean-du-monts and had a Eurocamp mobile. All clean and well stocked. Site is excellent with the SuperU just outside and the beach close by. Loads to do in the area and a good kids and teen club. Found it best to go to the town of Jean du Monts for decent food but as per usual it was hard to get any variety for the kids – creps, plain burgers and nuggets everywhere. Not much by way of pasta or other options for kids. While here we did the Elephant in Nantes (a must see n my opinion), the submarine base in Saint Nazarie (well recommended – amazing how big it is) the submarine tour in Saint Nazarie (everyone should go on a real submarine once, kids loved it as you could mess with all the switches and dials). We also travelled to Noirmentier, the butterfly place was a bit of a disappointment and the harbour village was not as nice as you would get in Ireland but the salt harvesting was very interesting and the drive across the causeway was very memorable. There is loads to do around clarys plage as it is very touristy – a good fun fair, quad biking, horse racing and lots more.  Top tip – remove your roof box once you arrive as many beach carparks are max height 1.9 meters.  The pool complex at Clarys plage is really good and my youngest felt it was better than Domain des Ormes which is saying something.  

After Clarys plage we drove up to Domain des Ormes and camped in the tent again. This is the only place I returned to from previous trips and now that the dome is built it is even better (have a look at the website as the dome has so much in it now). This is a really large site but very spacious for camping – pitches are huge. For day trips Mount Saint Michel and Saint Malo are fabulous (definitely remove roof box before going to Saint malo). The town of Combourg has some good restaurants and to us seemed to have a lot more life in it that most towns in Brittany, it also had the best Market day we have experienced so far in any small town.  Domain des Ormes is a great site with absolutely everything on site. It is expensive but has so many options for activities and food that you get what you are paying for. We booked direct and it was about twice the price for the pitch compared to Mostsabert. The whole site is lovely, especially around the chateau and club house. There is a nice walk to the local hamlet and the bar there opens form 12-7pm (no English spoken).

We did feel this time the standards of cleanliness on site slipped a bit – even though there was a massive wasp problem staff were not cleaning tables or empting bins around the bar / restaurant area during the day. The toilet blocks are very nice and were mostly kept clean. They are pure luxury compared to most in Ireland.

On the plus side they have had a health and safety upgrade. The tree Zip-It style course was very haphazard 4 years ago but is now quite safe and has more options for kids. The activities are well priced and well cheaper than they would be in Ireland. Food in the club house restaurant was good value for decent steak etc. but the Pizza place was a bit pricey. The shop did do prepacked sambos if you don’t fancy forking out 15 quid a head on a quick lunch.

On the last night we got a tree house – it was 300 for the night but it was well worth doing for one night. We got one with a spiral stairs and I was glad we didn’t go for a more difficult one. I saw some people really struggling with the rope ladders to their tree houses and to be honest, the novelty would wear off pretty quick as you have to get kids up and down. The workmanship on the treehouses is remarkable and the beds comfortable but I wouldn’t be bothered doing more than one night as you spend most time out of it.

Overall top tips after out 4th French adventure:

- Top tips - Remove Roof Box, Eat well around 1pm, bring breakfast for Ferry, assume everything will be closed on Sunday, don’t expect good Coffee, search out the Fresh (Brittany) milk in the shop, in Brittany buy a blue disk for parking in small towns.   

- Top attractions – Puy du Foy (download App translator for each family member or share headphones), Mont Saint Michel, Nantes Elephant, Longues Sur Mere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

An attraction I don't see mentioned enough in the Vendée is Planete Sauvage. It's a great day out!

Post edited by mr_edge_to_you on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Good options for the Vendée area please. Preferably near a beach, age range from 6 -10. And possibly walking distance to bars restaurants.

Hope I'm not asking too much!

Thanks

Sol a GoGo should do the job.

Otherwise, Clarys Plage for something a bit livelier.

Any recently returned travellers with a data SIM card? Would be happy to take it off your hands for a modest few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

- Top tips - Remove Roof Box, Eat well around 1pm, bring breakfast for Ferry, assume everything will be closed on Sunday, don’t expect good Coffee, search out the Fresh (Brittany) milk in the shop, in Brittany buy a blue disk for parking in small towns.  

Hey - I like the French coffee! But yeah if you're looking for a flat white or a cappuccino you'll struggle. Good tip on the roof box, you'll be driven demented trying to get parking if you leave it on. If you do leave the box on, look for Campervan parking, most beaches and villages have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Getting the WB Yeats on Saturday, have booked Speedy Exit on the way over. What time should we be aiming to be in Dublin Port for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭suilegorma

On VHI insurance....it needs to be in place at least 7 days before your trip starts. Just to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Wont be much use to majority on here but might suit a few. DFDS are to start taking car and camper van passengers on their Rosslare to Dunkerque from Friday 5th August

https://www.dfds.com/en/about/media/news/dfds-to-trial-rosslare-dunkirk-passenger-service-from-5th-august

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Duration is no issue…

I’m currently on the DFDS Victoria Seaways on my way to Kiel in Germany from Klaipeda, Lithuania and it’s a 22 hour journey…

I’d happily take an extra 2-4 hours on a ferry if it means 300-400km less driving any day!!

and I have to say having taken the WB Yeats to France about 2 1/2 weeks ago (and taking it home again this weekend), the DFDS service is excellent in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Likewise. Went on the freight ship to Bilbao last September and didn't have a problem either. A good book, bar facilities and a decent cabin and just build it into the annual holidays.

This route will open up options for further afield into northern Europe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

@crisco10 2.30 and you'll be fine. You have Speedy Exit so you'll be one of the first cars boarding anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

As you say it won't suit everyone but I think this could be great. Really opens up Northern France, Belgium and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Very quick review, just back from La Baume, Frejus. Flew with Aer Lingus from Dublin to Nice, absolutely no problems both ways. Took a transfer from Nice to Frejus for €130 each way and hired a car locally for €350 for 9 days, compact size car but worked out well for the 5 of us. Stayed with Eurocamp in a 3 bed Azure Vista, I’d seriously recommend against this, absolutely tiny! This was our second time at La Baume, very large site with two main pool areas at opposite ends. The pools are fantastic, 5 slides at one pool and 3 slides at the other kept the kids well entertained. Well located for trips to Cannes, Monaco, St. Tropez. Would highly recommend overall but be careful in July/August if you struggle with excessive heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,945 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We were there for the first two weeks in July, and we were far from impressed with it. Severely understaffed. The site was nice, but nowhere near the level of La Sirene for example. Lots of services available but again limited by staff. Two places for food and the fast food place in the La Baume end was very below standard, even for a campsite. The restaurant in La Palmeraie was useless, because they could only open a third of it and couldn't take reservations so it meant long queues were inevitable. Service when we were seated was slow and poor. The people on reception were dismissive and rude upon check in. I don't think there was a single element about the site that I'd have rated above other sites we've stayed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I would agree on the restaurant/ snack bar and overall lack of food options on site, these could certainly be improved. We were there 5 years ago as well and they have invested money in improving the water slides and surfaces around the pools significantly, moving the smaller kids play area to a different location freeing up more sun bed space. Probably not in my top two or three sites but the kids got so much enjoyment out of the pools that I’d consider going again. I personally had no problem with the reception staff who were very helpful during my stay and prior to arrival with any questions that I had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Enjoyed 3 weeks in Le Clarys Plage.

Haven't seen the outside Animations area before, with big screen. They closed off the road outside the bar and have around 200 seats and tables.

The site was busy, a fairly even 30% Irish/French/English and the rest Dutch.

Great pool complex, nice few restaurants on the corner and supermarket alongside is very handy. Been there several times and might go again but I will definitely have a look at Roan Camping as they have Very nice mobiles. Covered decking and AirCon on all their mobiles. Nice cushion L shaped seating on the decking aswell...

Dutch company I think and prices apparently are quite competitive.

Had to hastily arrange a Laptop and GAA Go connection to the outside screen for the Hurling final and to the inside projector for the Football final, which was a pity as they always had GAA games on all the screens as a matter for course. The bar manager is one of those ' i cant really help you as I'm in the middle of doing a Big Job kind of a guy' which didn't really help.

6.80 for a Heineken- never really tasted nice in fairness- but it was the cheapest pint with 8 euro being the next cheapest.

Marvilla Parks took the site over and we stayed in one of their mobiles. They didn't offer Gas BBQ however which was a bit of a pain. They have a few charcoal bbq areas you can go to though.

Entertainment was ok, geared a bit more to the French than in previous years.

As mentioned previously, lots to do in the locality. Enjoyed a day at Explora Parc at the end of the main St. Jean beach road, Trampolining and Zipling. Beach is a couple of minutes walk away and is still a very nice site overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Anyone any ideas when Irish Ferries will release dates. I'm really eager to book accommodation. I tried to predict last year's route based off previous years and got it wrong and paid for an extra night we didn't use or couldn't cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The dates usually come out at the beginning of October I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Usually October but the past few years its been slightly earlier, end of September possibly,

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭rodmn2377

Hi, looking for a bit of help. first time looking at booking a campsite in France and looking for some recommendations for a site thats not a massive drive from the ferry. have a little girl with additional needs who gets frustrated if too long in the car... any help would be great... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Turned out to be a nest of mice. In attic and walls.

very poorly dealt with. Offered mouse traps. Caught a few.

no offer of moving accommodation.

room L10 if going soon.

seeking a partial refund. No reply yet. Place is great in every other way and wasps are there but not too bad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mice are an unavoidable neighbour. We had them coming into a tent one year.

We also had a toad living under the floor of a tent once. Never thought of asking to move or seek a refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Yea it’s a forest setting. But couldn’t sleep with scurrying and scratching all night. It was really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Domaine Des Ormes is about 2hrs from either of Roscoff or Cherbourg. Lovely site with a great pool and plenty of activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭rodmn2377

Thats great help... thanks a million will have a look at that place... its great to get a recommendation instead of looking at them all...

Advertisement