Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

When people go chasing KOM's, do you do it as part of a longer spin, or would you focus on just that segment, and power through it

I had segments off for ages and just switched back on to freshen things up.

On the last few KOMs I went for they were shorter evening spins I went full gas on the segments instead of repeats I would normally do. I also used the segments to practice sprinting.

But there are loads of fellas in my area who spend a lot of time targeting KOMs, go out on windy days and would save all their energy on rides for the targeted efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

60km done despite an apocalyptic forecasting 25+mm of rain. 1shower and rest on pretty much dry roads !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Managed 18km on my mountain bike and got absolutely drenched wet in a freak thunderstorm. Gave me a mega boost, don't know what it is about getting caught in bad weather but I seem to like it! I looked like 'mudman' from the apocalypse when I got home.

Dan.

52km with a heavy headwind on the way out. Saw a buzzard and some ducks. No old farm gates, though. I mustn't live near their natural habitat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm 46 and probably past getting any KOMs at this point; but the few i have bagged have been on quiet enough roads where there wouldn't be many cyclists pushing hard. but at this stage, i suspect you're not going to get a KOM unless you get a good tailwind and the stars are aligned for you - strava has been around long enough now that at some point, someone will have been along that road before you in ideal circumstances and recorded a time to strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Out with Gorey cc this morning, very wet weather, carbon wheelset and rim brakes not an ideal combination at all 😬. Out coast road to Blackwater and across to Enniscorthy , back via Ferns to Gorey. Massive hold up in traffic coming into Ferns, the Applegreen promotion was the culprit.

81km avg 31.3kph , 670 ish meters. Absolutely drenched..pure waste of sun protection cream 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That feckin stupid applegreen promotion also did for the Vets race yesterday.

Yeah saw that, a mate was racing, heard it was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did Mount Teide in Tenerife today. We're here on a family holiday so I'm eating like a horse and drinking like a fish. Needed to get out for a spin to steady the ship.

I headed out early while the temps were still low 20s. There was a strong enough headwind and I don't know if it was the smooth road or just feeling good but I got rightly stuck into it for the first half an hour or so.

Went from Los Cristianos up through Arona and Escalona in just over an hour. The stretch up to Vilaflor took another half an hour but the mercury was hitting 30 at that stage. I topped up the bidons there and continued up but the heat and altitude were definitely taking their toll and the once headstrong and powerful young fella was long gone and replaced by an imposter. The last few kms to the top took forever. There's a few ramps scraping 10% and they really felt it at that stage. Then I had a brief respite descending down towards the Parador Hotel for a badly needed bit of refueling. However there's a short rise up to the hotel itself and that was renewed torture.

The descent back down to Los Cristianos was very enjoyable after that, 32km of fast twisty road all the way down but the wind had switched around so I got hit with some sketchy crosswinds. Also, the heat up there was now unbelievable. The Garmin was saying 38degrees and it genuinely felt like someone had a hairdryer in my face at times. Definitely not something I've ever experienced before or would be going out of my way to try again! The climb itself wasn't the hardest in terms of gradient but the length is a real test. There's definitely some nice scenery but I wouldn't rate it in my top climbs in that regard.

Finished up with 90km and 2551m climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/7525558174/overview

Post edited by Daroxtar on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decided to have a pop at the coolquay circuit used by swords CC today (although my decision came about half a kilometre after i'd started the segment) and was quite happy with my near 35km/h over the near 11km circuit.

overall, did just over 50km at 32km/h which is fast for me. lovely calm evening for it. passed this place for sale on a back road between bracetown and fairyhouse, in case any of you lot have recently won the lottery.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-herbertstown-house-gate-lodge-the-entire-dunboyne-co-meath/3944491

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ Nice gaff but you'd need to keep some change spare to treat it for damp and mould!

Went out with a few lads from the club yesterday evening and did a flat 50 around Ardclough, Straffan & Celbridge. On our way home we popped into McEvoys by the canal at Hazelhatch.

The weather has cooled quite a bit. Needed a gilet for the spin and found myself shivering a little when having a drink afterwards. Nonetheless, that didn't stop one of the canal boatmen from jumping into the canal from the wall of the bridge. He told us after that the water was actually warm! Minutes later he was back up on the bridge ready to jump but this time he was absolutely starkers!

Did two very different spins in the last two days in Tenerife. Yesterday was pure, utter savagery. I thought I was clever, finding twisty little back roads online and spotted a route that some Pogacar lad I follow on Strava had done. Knew it would be tasty enough as I was gaining nearly 1000m in the first 10km straight out the gate.

5.5km @12.3%, yeah I'll have some of that says I to myself. I've been working on improving my steep stuff, 10% doesn't scare me any more. Even 12% is now more doable.

Except it wasn't the whole story. Multiple ramps of near 20% and the single steepest piece of road I've ever hit. The Garmin said 28% and I absolutely believe it. Garmin was autopaused because I was going so slow, I couldn't stay balanced on the bike, it was ridiculous. Reached the top a shell of a man. Spotted that I got a 7th place trophy on Strava for the full climb. Felt a bit better until I realised I was 7th of 7.

27km,1020m crawling

https://strava.app.link/Pd6gQ4gi2rb

Today was completely different. Took a different route up to Vilaflor than I had done previously. Went from Los Cristianos to Valle de Lorenzo and then on to Grandilla before starting the long climb to Vilaflor. Much nicer route than the more commonly used direct route through Arona and Escalona. Smooth surface, very consistent gradient, a bit of a tailwind. I really felt like I was flying up the hill. Felt great at the top and then descended back the usual route. Just a good day on the bike

56km, 1401m climbing

https://strava.app.link/xSmub5bj2rb

Post edited by Daroxtar on

madre de dios.

Did the Masca climb today. I don't know what other people's idea of the perfect climb is but I think I've found mine. It's an absolutely insane piece of engineering, a ribbon of asphalt barely 3m wide draped across the shoulders of a breathtaking canyon. Hairpin after hairpin with sheer drops over the barriers. Every turn is a picture postcard view, or a hospital trip if you misjudge it in the descent. Most cycling people come to Tenerife to test themselves on Teide. Well if I could only do one spin here I'd make it Masca instead. It's that beautiful.

The climb itself a little over 4km and just under 11% average gradient so not exactly a handy spin. There's a couple of short ramps pushing into the high teens but nothing as ridiculous as I hit the other day. Road surface is pristine so there's no power lost rattling or shaking.

To get there was a 1000m climb over 27 or 28km at a fairly steady 4-5% most of the way from Los Cristianos up to Gia Isora and Santiago de Teide before a short sharp 10-15% shock and then descend down to the village of Masca itself and start the climb back up the way you came.

Finished the day with 84km and 2140m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7558547414

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

FFS 2100m in 84k??

I put in 4 spins up Bellewstown. 750m in 50k. Took 10k to get there. So 750m in 40ish. And thought I did a lot of climbing 😂

Ah, sure I'm living in South Meath. I could usually do about 500km and not get over 2000m. Making the most of it here 😁

lovely evening for it, passed a lad on an allsop softride a couple of times out westmanstown direction.

and if anyone else is out around those parts - there's what looks like a reasonably large water leak on porterstown road, at the junction at the top of rugged lane. don't cycle through it, water mains leaks don't smell...

I don't usually post stats about my ride (guess I'm still not), but I just took 2nd spot overall on one of my local segments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Last couple of days in the Alps with the family, so decided to tick a few off my bucket list.

Sunday morning I got out early to spin up to the Col du Lautaret. We're staying in Serre Chevalier a bit up the valley from Briançon, so it's just under 20km away, rushing all the time. The first 7km or so are in the 2-3% range, then it kicks up to the 4-5% mark and stays there, throwing in a couple of 7%+ sections near the top. Turning right here would go up the South side of the Galibier, as featured in the tour this year on the stage that ended in Alpe D'Huez. The descent is to die for (nearly literally a couple of weeks ago when I got a bee in the eye coming down from the Galibier 😬) as it's fast and not at all technical. 650m ascent in the 19.5km up, 39km total. Happy with this as last time were were here in 2018, my fitness levels wouldn't have let me contemplate this.

Yesterday did something completely different, and did an MTB descent on the original Galibier road. This was abandoned in 1937 when the existing road was built with more steady gradients (to compare, the current road gets to the top in about 8km, the old one gets to the monument in 4.7km, below the summit, but the other end is well down the valley, so probably cancels out the difference. The idea of going up this yoke on 1911 style TdF bikes - the first year it featured on the Tour, though I think it may have come from the north, which was probably even more horrendous - is mind boggling. Anyway, haven't been on an MTB in years, and never on a full sus downhill bike, so climbing on one, with the brakes swapped, and launching off the top of the Galibier, what could possibly go wrong? It was an absolute blast, and bar a short section of rough, steep, single-track I found a bit challenging, was very doable. The guide in the group I went out with was excellent, and while my French is fluent, he spoke English as well. 1050m descent in 22km

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Yesterday did an early morning 100km on grand and royal canals, with a bit of road in between to join them (edenderry to enfield). Grand canal from celbridge out as far as edenderry and across to enfield for a handy spin back slong the royal. tougher on grand canal as surface is more singletrack/grass.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2989580906323455408 — Canals 100km 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Most Summers our regular club Tuesday spins venture further afield to the likes of the Slieve Blooms, Mt Leinster or the Mournes, all with a drive there and back. Yesterday, our gallant leader came up with a new version of his Slieve Gullion/South Armagh route starting this time in Carlingford. We knew there would be a bit of climbing involved but heading up to Clermont Cairn from the coast was a bit of a shock and a good warm-up for what came later. The descent and Flagstaff Road were glorious but resulted in a carbon front wheel overheating and bulging from extensive use of the rim brakes. We skirted Newry before passing through Bessbrook on the way to Camlough and an early lunch.

Heading south we soon came to the gates of Slieve Gullion Forest Park and headed in. A gentle rise to the car park was followed by about 5km and 260m of pain but with spectacular views over South Armagh and towards the Cooleys. The descent had a few surprises in the form of seriously sharp uphill sections lurking behind some great fast roads. The return to Carlinford via Jonesborough and Ravensdale included an optional extra climb to the Long Woman's Grave wth a fast descent on quiet roads back to our cars.

On previous trips we had thought we hade "done" Slieve Gullion but had really only skirted around it. The real thing is a serious challenge and can even include a visit to a passage grave if you want to walk the last bit. The loop could be tackled by taking the train to Newry if you wanted to avoid the 80min drive from Dublin. 99km and 1,890m in about 5hrs moving time.

Strava: https://strava.app.link/OoPDFepVbsb

A few photos are over on the Photos Taken thread.

Looks to be a great route.

The OCD part of me couldn't not do another 1.27kms!

and he went sailing after that!

Got a long spin in this morning, which was bookended by two shi**y incidents involving angry men in white vans. On a quiet, narrow road near me, a van went for a pass on a blind bend and met an oncoming car and had to slam on. This must have pissed him off because he then sat a foot from my wheel revving the engine while waiting for his chance to pass again. He close passed me horribly then screaming the engine.

Close to the end of my ride, I was on a very busy and fast but narrow stretch when a SuperValu truck came up behind me. He had a few chances to pass but decided not to and he was very respectful, staying well back. When it was safe, I signalled I was pulling into the only lay-by on the road and waved him on as I guessed there was a backlog behind him. He gave me a friendly beep and it was nice to have a positive interaction. But then about three cars back, a guy rolled down his window as he was passing and called me every name under the sun. He was seething. I never engage these people but I would love to understand what is going on in their heads.

Everything in between was a pleasure. Took in a few big hills and managed just short of 1,300m climbing in 102km @ 29.5kph.

Some drivers just cannot help themselves and constantly have to remind cyclists that they complete and utter fckwits, I met one last Thursday just heading into Blessington...

Indeed. I'd love to know what they were so offended by, though. I literally went out of my way to help in both instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

A nifty 50 spin for me around Bellewstown, uneventful except I never saw this segment before ( Asparagus pee) . from Naul southbound towards Garristown road (over 3 sisters, past the graveyard, to that funny Y junction just south of Denigans.

• Advertisement

i've never seen that one before - maybe it's recently created? according to strava, i've only done it ten times; i usually find myself on that road after dropping down off fourknocks though, so miss the first couple of hundred metres.

Advertisement