Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

France away and Exeter at home were Carbery's two best games last season IMO

Then I would say he is nowhere near good enough, because I agree that he was "ok" and that's not good enough for your best game of the season! Kicked his goals very well, but he did nothing to release the backline.

I would have to look back at the game, but I remember screaming at the TV at the time more than once because he was clearly taking the wrong option. I don't doubt that he can get better with more gametime in the system but I think that a) you could definitely make the argument him vs Sexton was the difference that day and b)he's probably never going to be particularly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For the record I am not, and never have, claimed that Sextons absence was the only reason things went south in Eden Park. But we were 14-5 down against the run of play when he went off, not because we were being dominated. A fortunate intercept try was the difference at that stage and we were on top in play during that 30 mins.

It is a concern that most of our worst performances seem to come when we have numbers advantage. We weren’t great against Italy or England and should have made the numbers count more against NZ. I’m not sure what that’s about exactly, but we’ll need to address it.

I remember at one point in the first test off a maul there was a great camera angle of the back of the maul, JGP and Carbery outside him. Carbery was looking on and saying absolutely nothing. He wasn’t giving instructions to his 9, he wasn’t passing on info. He was just watching. My language got quite colourful at the time it annoyed me so much.

The way we are playing needs guys making decisions and communicating those decisions to those around them. I just don’t see Joey being that guy. Plus he’s a few nasty habits around positioning, body angles (angled towards the ball when he’s going to receive it) and the cutting back inside thing that he often does. His skill set overall is good and his goal kicking is great, but when you add those issues to his defensive frailties (he’s become a revolving door at this stage) I just don’t see how or where the necessary improvements are going to come from at this stage. But I don’t see any other obvious contender either.

It is a concern that most of our worst performances seem to come when we have numbers advantage. We weren’t great against Italy or England and should have made the numbers count more against NZ. I’m not sure what that’s about exactly, but we’ll need to address it.

Totally amateur spitballing, but you get the impression that in the current system the players are more empowered to "play it as they see it" and against fewer numbers they are seeing more opportunities and possibly being a bit rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Shehal

I know you didnt but one other poster did and I presume there are other's out there that may think that but these people are clutching at straws like I said, those kind of people were who this comment was aimed at!

I know all that and yes it was against the run of play but at the end of the day the issues we had throughout that game were there even when Sexton was on the field so I wouldn't say him not being there made a massive difference in the end. For me it was just one of those games where everything just goes against you, the Sevu Reece try just summed up the game for us where everything fell for NZL and we got no breaks really, thankfully it was only one game atleast.

I completely agree with that, the period between the Doris disallowed try and the Conan try in Twickenham was probably the worst period for Ireland through the 6N, we managed it incredibly badly and the only positive to take from it was it didnt cost us the game. When NZL had the calamity when it came to cards in the 2nd quarter was ironically the only quarter of the game we failed to score and we in fact lost that quarter 7-0 which really isnt a good look and we of course scored our tries when it was level in terms of numbers. For me we simply have to be more ruthless, take our medicine and look at what exactly is the reason we arent more ruthless. We have good quality throughout the team, we should be backing ourselves to punish a team when they are down men.

And that's my biggest gripe with Carbery, he is actually a very talented player but in everything that we are crying out for from our 10 that we get from Sexton he is REALLY lacking, I completely agree about that and its moments like that make me backtrack my support for Carbery being our back up for Sexton going forward, he just isnt the kind of player that will give us what we need at 10.

I still think Harry Byrne and possibly Frawley can be potentially options going forward as these players do bring the qualities we need at 10, It just comes down to how much game time they get at 10 during the next few months. Ideally if fit one of them gets a run versus Australia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

in everything that we are crying out for from our 10 that we get from Sexton he is REALLY lacking

You could say similar for all our other options tho, such is the gap between Sexton and the rest.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think this is definitely a big component. As a team Ireland have a good sense of when it's on, but against 14 we play like its always on and things get sloppy.

The game changer against England was Murray coming on and slowing things down. We were more patient and deliberate from the point he arrived and scored two tries off the back of the territory he produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm taking the positives from that. We need work ons. If we had nailed every team this past season when we had numerical advantage we'd be much smugger. Its good to have stuff to work on, ways to move the squad forward focusing on positive stuff, opportunities to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

This clamour for H. Byrne and Frawley, who've hardly had time in the 10 jersey, from some on here, above all the other potentials at 10 amuses me. Neither have amassed a body of work that warrants them being the forerunner for me. Maybe they'll get a run this season and put a string of good performances together but I don't see it happening.

(but hey, I'm not picking the team or seeing them in Ireland camp, what do I know obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

There hasn't been much clamour for H.Byrne over the last year that I've seen. I think people realise he's way too injury prone.

The clamour around Frawley is down to him showing more promise in his two starts at 10 this summer than anyone else has in their chances in an Ireland jersey.

Not even looking at it from an Ireland POV, I think Leinster need to move towards Frawley as Sexton's successor rather than R.Byrne if they want to keep challenging for European cups.

To be honest, I think the clamour around Frawley is going to end up having the same genesis as any upcoming clamour around any semi-competent looking 10. We are a bit desperate.

• Advertisement

Yep, Frawley has benefited from 3 specific things. Not playing much at 10 so not being in a position to be critiqued on his performances in that position, not being terrible against the Maori and not being terrible against the Maori recently. The regency thing is huge.

He wasn’t great in the mid week games though. He was just fine. It’s hard to judge because it was a bit of a scratch side in a position that he doesn’t play. I think he has the temperament and the personality we need there, ie he can be pretty commanding. But we need to see him get a run of games at 10 to determine if he has/can address the issues we saw from him previously in that position. There was a reason he moved to 12 at Leinster and didn’t push ahead of either Byrne brother, let alone both.

But yeah we are pretty desperate so I get why people are keen to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think there is an assumption that there must be a replacement for Sexton out there and we just have to find him. Since Carbery isn't setting the world on fire, we need to move on and find the guy who will.

Maybe Frawley will turn out to be a test quality OH but there's no real basis to think so at this point. Doing it in time for the RWC would be astonishing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

There is a full 13 months to go before the world cup. Plenty of time for the likes of Frawley, H Byrne, Healy or even a Jack Crowley/flannery to stake a claim for the world cup.

While not the exact same position look at Conor Murray in 2011..

I don't think he had started a Heineken cup game for Munster before he broke onto the irish training squad for the world cup. Got a run of form and went from 3rd choice to starter before the end of the world cup.

Even for sexton himself he only really got going at Leinster when contopomi went down injured in may of 2009 and 5 or 6 months later he made his test debut and retained the Jersey v South africa.

For the SH position I would also hope someone like Doak might push into the equation and will push casey for a squad place in November or the 6 nations potentially. (Obviously only if in form next season)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"There is a full 13 months to go before the world cup. Plenty of time for the likes of Frawley, H Byrne, Healy or even a Jack Crowley/flannery to stake a claim for the world cup."

None of those four are first choice out halves for their province, so I've no idea whatsoever where your getting your confidence that there's "plenty of time" for one of them to stake a claim.

If he avoids injury, Joey carbery is our reserve 10 for RWC 23.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I suppose the retort to that is that neither was Conor Murray in the lead up to the 2011 RWC until well into the 10/11 season either.

I’d be pretty sceptical too, tho. Murray is almost the exception that proves the rule here.

Yeah it’s almost impossible to see how guys who are 3rd choice at their province now are going to get enough game time in 1 season to prepare them for the game that we play and implementing that game against tier 1 opposition. Guys at Leinster may arguably have it easier as there are close similarities between Leinster and Ireland playing styles as well as familiarity with many of the Irish starters. But even at that, it’s a hell of a lot to ask in 1 season. You’d need the guy to be pretty exceptional to make that step up in that time. And if he were that exceptional then he wouldn’t be 3rd choice (or playing 12).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah, there are only so many "once in a generation" type players and pointing to a player from 11 years ago isn't exactly confidence inducing.

We've had excellent out halves playing for Ireland for the last 22 years. The balance of probability days that we're going to have some lean years when sexton retires.

I'm old enough to remember the 20 years previous of Keyes / Elwood / Humphreys where "serviceable" would be the best description on average for them, if slightly harsh on DH.

My point however is that of the four mentioned, (2 each from Munster and Leinster) there are other players ahead. Harry byrne being 3rd choice at Leinster and Frawley 4th choice at best.

Healy has the best opportunity to oust the incumbent at Munster, but of he doesn't get ahead of carbery in red there's not a hope in hell he gets ahead of him in green

Crowley isnt even in the conversation really. 5 professional starts to date and 3rd choice at his province. The same applies to him. Get starting regularly in red first before you are in the conversation for a RWC 23 squad spot

I don't think he had started a Heineken cup game for Munster before he broke onto the irish training squad for the world cup. Got a run of form and went from 3rd choice to starter before the end of the world cup.

Yeah, except that wasn't a good thing. If anything his inexperience was shown up massively and it was absolutely the wrong call

Even for sexton himself he only really got going at Leinster when contopomi went down injured in may of 2009 and 5 or 6 months later he made his test debut and retained the Jersey v South africa.

Sexton had more or less led Leinster to the Magners League the previous season and had started that season as first choice 10. He had a poor run of form for a couple months, but was always going to be the starting 10 the following season. People remember that situation poorly in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Healy may get more opportunities with the new coaching ticket.

Harry needs to be injury free. He also needs to get past Ross.

Frawley is in a situation where he's a very good 12. He was moved there by Leo and hasn't played oh for Leinster in yonks.

It's a tough situation. Sexton could decline and then we will be fecked.

He wasn’t great in the mid week games though. He was just fine. 

But the fact that he was 'fine' is very promising in itself, because of how little he's played 10. I think that's the point people are making. We've had Ross Byrne and Billy Burns, who both play 10 week-in week-out, put in some pretty shocking performances in green.

10 is the position where game time is the most important, and Frawley looked very competent in both games. So imagine what he could do if he got a consistent run of games there for Leinster.

• Advertisement

Billy Burns is a comfortably better 10 than Ciaran Frawley right now though. The fact the former struggled in actual test matches at times should moderate what people think about Frawley after some ok performances in mid week matches.

Oh I agree that him being fine was good given everything. But we can’t ignore the “everything” bit there. All of that still exists and time is running out. Getting comfortable with the way Ireland are playing and the role he needs to play in that takes time. I’m not sure he has the time regardless of the Byrne brothers at this stage. And that’s even assuming he has/can address the issues he had at 10 originally. I’d be happy to be proven wrong as I do think he’s the closest in presence (if that makes sense) to Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

genesis?

i dont think healy will get ahead of carbery unless injury/massive, massive, MASSIVE form drop is involved. it might be due to IRFU intervention but the mast has been firmly nailed to carbery at munster and i dont see that changing with the new coaching ticket. not that i think JC deserves to be an automatic starter, but it just seems to me that this is the way it is/is going to be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The difference with both Sexton and Murray is that when they got a chance, they took it. All the others have had their chances at their respective levels and none have really seized it.

What put Joey on the map in the first place was his form when Sexton was injured and he absolutely tore it up, three months later he was coming off the bench in Chicago. Healy had the exact same opportunity when Carbery was injured for so long, and he didn't remotely take it. (Crowley had the same chance btw and was even worse off). As rubbish as JVG was, he had Stephen Larkham beside him who presumably knows a bit about what makes a decent out-half.

Frawley not only needs to stake a claim as an out-half, he has to first convince Leinster to play him there. Big ask.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Sexton, Carbery, Burns will go to RWC. Frawley's best chance might be that Farrell only brings two out-halves and brings Frawley as a 12 who can play 10 at a pinch.

Even the strongest boards.ie critics of Farrell must acknowledge that the guy will give chances to players when they demand it. All we need is an OH to demand it.

rubbish about healy. he generally played very well when given the opportunity but he has been jettisoned as soon as carbery is available without JC really deserving it, presumably due to IRFU intervention.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree that Frawleys best shot at making a World Cup squad is in the 10/12 cover role.

In fact I think it's very likely that the squad will only have 2 recognised Out-halves with another player who could cover that role from the bench - Whether that's someone like Frawley or perhaps Lowry remains to be seen.

It's a 33 man squad with probably an 18/15 split between forwards and backs , so 3 players that only cover 10 is probably a luxury that can't be afforded.

do agree that it will be '2 and a half' 10s so to speak in the squad, id personally prefer to see carbery as that 'half' seeing as he can cover 15 (and its his best position but thats a different argument) along with someone like ross byrne or ben healy

but it probably will be sexton/carbery/frawley

That wouldn't be the case if Frawley was actually playing games at 10. He showed this summer that he's a good 10, with more game time he could be an excellent 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I agree with most of that. I wasn't suggesting that all the players I mentioned are going to make it.

I was just saying there is still time for any of them to stake a claim in the next 12 months.

Sexton won't play much for Leinster so there should be opportunities there.

The new coaching ticket at Munster might want to see carberry at 15 Which could open up reps at 10 for one of the others.

There is still plenty of Time for a world cup Bolter.

The proviences play 7 league games before November internationals (3 inter pros) and 17 in total between now and the 6 nations. That is plenty of time for someone to take the Jersey.

The third choice OH is very much up for grabs as in the last 18 months the position has been filled by; Ross Byrne, Harry byrne, Billy burns, Jack carty and Ciaran Frawley.

Id also agree with you that Frawley could travel as a 10/12 in the squad. Which might free up another spot on the WC squad elsewhere.

I'd actually think that carrying someone like Doak as a 9/10 and frawley as a 10/12 as your 3rd choice 9 and 10 would make much more sense than bringing Casey as a 9 and burns as a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bit of revisionism there. 😊

What put Carbery on the map was Paddy Jackson being unable to travel to the USA. Jackson came back into the squad again after that match, and played the rest of that series and the following Six Nations. Indeed, Carbery is likely to have been in the same bracket as the Carty's of the world if Jackson's Ireland career hadn't ended early.

He got his place by default. Madigan had left for France. Keatley was Keatley. Madigan's timing for leaving was especially bad for him, when you look at it in hindsight he left a lot of caps behind him.

I struggle to think of anything Carbery has done to demand his continual place in the squad, other than him being the guy they've sunk a ton of time into at this stage. The 2nd best OH available to Ireland, behind Sexton, is Billy Burns and it isn't even close. He's not an option for the future, he's a stop gap at best, but he's comfortably better at 10 than all of the other options currently available (all of whom are also only stop gaps at best).

Advertisement