Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Here's another random example of Green party idiocy.. This came up in my Google news feed

Local Green Party representative Marc Ó Riain said the buses being used on the route were clearly not suitable.

“We should be encouraging the use of bicycles, not making it more difficult,” he said.

So leaving aside the idea of being grand with discriminating against disabled/wheelchair bus users, he wants to continue using older more polluting coaches as well!

Just like in my examples above, these numpties really should think before they speak.

Funny that only 1 single sentence made it into the article, strange that

Either way, easy issue to resolve and has been resolved the world over

Easy one to have your cake and eat it for all users

But then that wouldn't suit the rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

No one has said they don't!

However the facts are China could have a much higher proportion of beach umberalas compared to Europe and it would make the exact same difference to their levels of ghg emissions

Why? Because China's ghg emissions are rising rapidly by reason of producing almost almost 70% of their electricity by burning coal and building even more coal power stations.

All the extra renewables are simply further expanding their already ginormous industrial base.

So the recent media reports (just last week) were incorrect or maybe it was only said that for "tactical" reasons as you previously explained, when they already set out their stall in 2020 and said the they'd hold the same threat over the coalition government in order to get their own way?

Glad you are able to clear that up anyway 🙄

Post edited by Mecanudo on

But that's not what he said is it - or proposed? As I said, numpties. Obsessed with push bikes above all else.

• Advertisement

What are you onabout? You're the one trying to twist the original comment

Do you not believe the 27th of July 2022 is somehow not just the other week as per the last link provided by the OP and as I detailed? And that story was all over the news and was reported in various Irish newspapers including the Irish Times and the Irish Mirror under the banner "Green Party could walk away from Government if deal on cut to farmers' emissions is too low" (linked above) etc following an interview with Pauline O'Reilly (Senator and Chair of the Green Party) on RTE

This is the relevant part of transcript from that RTE interview @6:30 minutes into the broadcast

Interviewer:

"You as a Chair  person of the green party If you were to find yourself  on a figure of 23, 22 % something at the lower end of ambition - what happens next Pauline? Would you be suggesting that a green party convenes a meeting and discusses it future support for this government?"

Pauline O'Reily:

"I think that would be on the cards , you know that's quite clear"

So bizarrely looks like someone is indeed trying to fudge the fact that the the chair of the green party did indeed threaten their coalition partners by (again) claiming the party would not support the government (ie the green party would walk) if they don't get their own way!

As I said, incorrect :)

Its a moot point either way as FFG caved. 25% is a good result. Not great, but good enough as a starting point

You'd have to wonder why the farmers are crying about it so

Whats with the constant denial and the outright bs? Ive updated my comment with the relevant transcript from the RTE interview of the 27 July. Here it is again.

Interviewer:

"You as a Chair person of the green party If you were to find yourself on a figure of 23, 22 % something at the lower end of ambition - what happens next Pauline? Would you be suggesting that a green party convenes a meeting and discusses it future support for this government?"

Pauline O'Reily:

"I think that would be on the cards , you know that's quite clear"

That's verbatim from Pauline O'Reilly, Senator and Chair of the Green Party on RTE just the other week ie the 27/072022.

It would be good if you didn't try and twist the facts DaCor. It does you no favours whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Looks like the usual green party tactics of disinformation, deflection and denial and mud slinging are still high on the agenda in that interview. What's new :)

Says pauline

"Agriculture has to feed people, not just animals"

With the inference that farmers should only growing stuff for consumption here.

Well Pauline - you obviously know fck all if you think farmers are just "feeding animals" for the craic. Yes its necessary to feed animals to produce foodstuffs such as dairy products and meat. And yes those foodstuffs feed people whether and whether that's in Ireland or in Europe or the UK where the bulk of our agricultural produce is sold.

I presume Pauline will use her new found wisdom to dictate to other sectors that they can also only produce for the domestic market as well

And there we have it folks another clueless policy curtesy of the green party 🤡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

We should be studying these possibilities so we can be prepared for them.’

Looking for more grants? The entire climate change fiasco has been a bottomless pit with Billions mostly wasted on it for a pipe dream.

And now ye want to feck up the farmers, I can go to the Supermarket and buy the best of meat and dairy products at a reasonable price which you would change if ye got half a chance…enough!

Also at what cost? Plus these solar panels and windmills will wear out and have to be replaced, the waste from them is toxic!

Because if they don’t you’ll attempt to enforce it…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`ve been trying to find the numbers that would be required where you could have an idea of the cost but no luck as nobody here seems to have a clue. Looks like an open cheque book job with no idea of either time-frame or finished price. Strange when you consider some here have no problem quoting times and costs being too long and too expensive for any alternatives that don`t suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Because they are the last indigenous industry we have that competes successfully on the global market. You eradicate farmers from existence, and lets say some future conflict arises with the likes of the Communist party in China to the same extent as the current conflict with Russia, this Island will be absolutely and totally f**ked. We will literally have nothing.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I’ve tried the same and it’s a rabbit hole, The amount of money spent on climate change is astronomical from what I’ve seen, Have you seen the documentary Planet of Humans by Michael Moore?

It covers this and more, it’s two years old but I only came across it last night, no surprises in it for me tbh as I have followed this topic for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Even your mathematics are dodgy. Either that or you are still sore on them caving from 30% to 25%.

For someone supposedly not a Green Party supporter you really do go to the most ridiculous lengths attempting to defend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

Irish agriculture is for export, we could not feed ourselves in such a crisis. It would take a massive re-orientation in farming practices for us to not be fucked in any such crisis. Farming is now insignificant in the Irish economy and in its ability to feed the nation - we even **** well import spuds for christ sake.

I would have a lot more support for farmers if they actually did feed the nation.

Not sure what you are getting at because that's exactly what I said, that the farmers are "our last indigenous industry we have that competes successfully on the global market". That is literally the truth. It is all we have to direct worldwide funds back to our actual indigenous and local economies.

• Advertisement

Its been pointed out to you on the Nuclear thread how much thermal reserve it would take to support the proposed renewables and its not massive at around 20% of spinning reserve. We would need more spinning reserve in a nuclear dependant energy mix because outages would take out massively more of our total generating capacity.

So why do you persist in repeating the same question when it has been answered with evidence based data ?

So why does it account for a few percent of the economy - and that isn't even accounting for subsides. Its insignificant in the grand scheme of things. if it actually offered us any real food security then it would be something.

Because the numbers of the current boombastic economy is skewered to factor in and include all manner of non indigenous, multinational corporate entities that could pull out of here anytime they want, or are directed and ordered to pull out of here from some outside non indigenous source. That's basic knowledge. So, why destroy the last small indigenous resource you have, a indigenous resource that literally cannot leave the island? Its beyond lunacy to do so, especially given the current geo-political events currently at play in Eastern Europe and in the China seas. You claim it is tiny, but it is OURS, so why try to destroy it?

The cuts been asked for will not destroy the industry. It will accellerate changes which they would have to face anyway as fuel and fertilizer prices continie to rise on a yearly basis. If farmers do not adopt a low impact form of farming - most would go out of business anyway.

Yeah, hopefully you are right, because if we lose them, lose their knowledge, lose their connection to the land, this place may as well literally cut its own silly throat.

Its you who is twisting facts. There was no threat to bring down the govt

There was a mention of calling a meeting to discuss things among members

That is all

"Dicuss things"???

Wtf do you think "discusses the future support for this government?" means?

And the same which was reported in no less than two national newspapers.

Would you give over with your nonsense and attempts at twisting reality.

Anyone else would have admitted they were wrong and put their hands up. Not the first time your tried that malarkey here. Yeah busted.

Again..

Interviewer:

"You as a Chair  person of the green party If you were to find yourself  on a figure of 23, 22 % something at the lower end of ambition - what happens next Pauline? Would you be suggesting that a green party convenes a meeting and discusses the  future support for this government?"

Pauline O'Reily:

"I think that would be on the cards, you know that's quite clear"

Do you really think you can pull the wool over the eyes of people here? Go and try that somewhere else.

Thats the type of nonsense that the greens in this country are fond of spouting.

Ireland currently has the accolade as the number one country for food security in the world.

In the event of the disruption of imports Ireland could indeed feed itself. It might not be a diet the greens living in leafy D4 might be used to, but no one would starve. But god love them but there might be no avocados and quinoa.

Agriculture in Ireland and associated food processing remains a significant part of the Irish economy whether that suits any green ideology or otherwise. Most of what we export goes to our trading partners in the UK and the EU from whom we buy goods in return.

We import all kinds of things in this country. Yeah that includes potatos including new and salad potatos etc which other countries produce earlier than us or specific varieties of potatos used in the catering industry etc. Buy more importantly do you honestly think that potatoes can be grown a year round in the Irish climate?

What other goods do you propose to restrict or ban outright from being imported or export. Or is that just more green bolloxolgy being thown at agriculture?

We also produce a huge range of pharmaceuticals here including paracetamol. And yet we also import paracetamol. Fcuking disgrace isn't it? And yeah agriculture here provides beef, lamb, pork, poultry, eggs, milk, butter, cheese, butter, yogurt, potatos and also fruit and veg in those areas suitable for market gardening and close to markets. And do people in Ireland always buy Irish produce, when they can buy the same food produced and imported from elsewhere? Are you going to lobby to pass laws where people will be forced to buy only food produced here and stop imports. Best of luck with that

• Advertisement

Advertisement