Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death penalty

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's almost as if there's no causal link between brutal prison systems and lowered crime rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I saw this comment from somebody in Singapore on a video about seeing how good a particular bike lock was. Different mentality towards crime over there. Singapore got mentioned earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

No there pretty high because of the economic situation there. Our crime rate would be even lower with harsher prisons and stronger sentencing for repeat offenders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This has basically zero evidence to back it up. In fact what evidence does exist suggests the exact opposite.

Also the economic situation and the political situation that allows such treatment are not independent variables.

You don't need to rely on Chinese statistics. Virtually every report from holiday/travel agencies paints China as being extremely safe.. and I can attest to that from living there myself. It is remarkably safe, with very little violent crime.

You also ignored Japan, who has a brutal prison system, and is one of the safest countries in the world. I take your point on Thailand.

• Advertisement

This has basically zero evidence to back it up. In fact what evidence does exist suggests the exact opposite.

What evidence suggests the exact opposite? Evidence.. not theories.

The truth is that no western nation has rolled back their changes to Justice/Prisons, so there is no evidence to show that harsher prison conditions would effect change. However, it's pretty obvious that the current system is failing badly, and the movement to improve prisons towards being more humane has been ongoing for decades.. so, with the exception of a few limited cases, the modern western approach to humane treatment of criminals isn't working either.

So, we have the current setup with heaps of research into the failures, but no clear idea of how to improve results.. except to continue making them more humane or servicing the needs of criminals... vs a decided lack of research/evidence on harsher prison conditions. Unless you want to use American statistics and research, in which case, it would open the door for someone posting about the success of Japanese prisons (which are brutal, and they generally have the lowest crime in the world)

It is remarkably safe, with very little violent crime.

So is Ireland. I'm not denying there are problems in Ireland but let's not pretend its a crime-ridden hellhole or anything.

Yes, Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. The correlation between tough prison regimes and safety of the country does not seem particularly great though.

We still have slopping out in Mountjoy. There is nothing "humane" about Ireland's prison system. Crime rates in Western Europe in general are not high. Recidivism is high unfortunately - one could point to outlying low rates such as in Norway and draw conclusions from their famously open and considerate prison system though of course I am sure there are cultural elements such as there are in Japan also.

They do not find compelling evidence of (specific) deterrent effects of experienced prison severity. The measures of prison severity do not reduce the probability of recidivism. Instead, all point estimates suggest that harsh prison conditions increase post-release criminal activity, though they are not always precisely estimated.

Unfortunately I so not have access to the full paper. There is little evidence to suggest harsher prison conditions do anything except sate people's desire for a measure of vengeance (an understandable feeling tbh).

So is Ireland. I'm not denying there are problems in Ireland but let's not pretend its a crime-ridden hellhole or anything.

I can't recall anyone doing so. I certainly haven't. However, when we have people with 200+ convictions walking around, there's definitely problems with our system. Also.. it's more about nipping the problem in the bud, before we end up like other countries with higher and more violent crime rates. It's simply easier to apply these measures before society/culture accepts it, than to fix it after the fact.

Yes, Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. The correlation between tough prison regimes and safety of the country does not seem particularly great though.

Nor does the more humane treatment of criminals.. if you want to apply the same logic.

There's little evidence of either system being better. That's the point I made earlier. Norway is a good example, but it's still an outlier. Just as I can point to Japan as being a similar outlier regarding harsher systems.

And when I use the term humane, I'm simply pointing to the manner in which prisons have become more comfortable, more helpful to prisoners, etc. The services provided to them have increased dramatically over the last few decades.

Honestly though, I don't think that harsh prisons is the answer. Practical, functional, basic. Yes. Harsh no. I do think all prisons should require inmates to work in a series of prison operated businesses, to help provide both skills to the prisoners, and to less the costs to the State. Prison should be somewhere that people really don't want to go to.. and as such, many of their rights as normal citizens should be suspended. No need to be harsh about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The only argument being made in recent posts is that a more brutal prison rgime leads to lower offending/reoffending. That simply isn't supported by evidence.

Now, if somebody wants to make the argument that prison should be more brutal simply to bring about more punishment, and that's nothing to do with rates of offending/reoffending, I can see the logic to that.

But you end up with a decision to make about if/when these prisoners who have been treated harshly as a form of punishment are going to be released back into society, and what's going to happen to them when tey are released. The harsh treatment they've been subjected to is (in conjunction with a lack of rehabilitative efforts - it's probably what they are not getting, rater than what they are), if anything, going to make them more likely to reoffend.

Mostly though, I think that trying to make any strong links between prison life and recidivism, without examining that in the much wider social context, is not all that useful.

• Advertisement

The only argument being made in recent posts is that a more brutal prison rgime leads to lower offending/reoffending. That simply isn't supported by evidence.

Nobody has countered the claim. You just keep repeating that statement. Posters point to Norway as if that's an indication that their views are better.. but... I can point to Japan, and claim the same.

The simple truth is that the evidence doesn't support either claim. The second important truth is that culture plays a huge role in all of this. Which is why Norway works so well, as it's a relatively ordered society with past social conditioning. The US doesn't because discrimination, race issues, gangs, etc are all strong factors that are well established. Japan works, again, because of it's unique culture.

What we have now doesn't work. That's the point. So what can we do that takes into account our own culture and provide an effective counter to criminals reoffending?

Now personally, as per the thread title, I do think capital punishment has some value for those with hundreds of convictions, or those seriously violent. It provides an obvious endgame for those who want to commit serious crime.. but for everyone else, there needs to be a prison system that works.. which we don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I coutered the claim with evidence from a study in American prisons. That doesn't disprove the claim, but does counter it. And with 2 minutes' googling, I can counter it again:

Thus, even in the presence of detailed individual level data, it is hard to understand if and to what extent prison conditions have any causal effect on former inmates’ behavior without some clear empirical research design able to break the simultaneity between prison conditions and individuals’ propensity to reoffend.

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-1-4614-5690-2_407

My own claim was that the evidence doesn't support the claim that harsher conditions leads to reduced recivism, and I'm providing evidence to support my claim. Note: I'm not claiming that less harsh conditions with a greater focus on rehabilitation lead to reduced recidivism - I'm just claiming that the evidence doesn't support what the other poster has said (wthout any evidence, it seems to be just gut feeling). Whether discussing increased or reduced rates of recidivism, I think that just focusing on identifying a link between prison conditions and recidivism rates is not all that helpful, because it ignores something you've already mentioned - the culture of the country.

So when I see a guy wth 225 convictions walking around and people saying 'the prison system doesn't work', while I agree with them, I think it's just one part of a wider context, and 'fixing' the prison system will only address part of that wider context.

And just to get back to the topic of the OP, I'm against capital punishment in all and every single circumsance, no matter how brutal the crime or the degree of certainty to which guilt has been proven or admitted. It's just not a power I think any State should have.

Post edited by osarusan on

Nobody has countered the claim. You just keep repeating that statement. Posters point to Norway as if that's an indication that their views are better.. but... I can point to Japan, and claim the same.

Not really. Is there any counterfactuals to Norway's experience? Because there are many, many such counterfactuals to Japan's.

The example of Norway may not be sufficient, but they are not the same thing at all.

Now personally, as per the thread title, I do think capital punishment has some value for those with hundreds of convictions, or those seriously violent

If people with "hundreds of convictions" are out on the streets now, what on Earth makes you think they would be facing the death penalty if it were an option?

Not really. Is there any counterfactuals to Norway's experience?

When we see more countries apply the Norwegian system (which they will), then we'll see. It's a bit early to be proclaiming this as some kind of answer suitable for other western nations. Just as it's a bit early to be proclaiming it as a complete success, as Norway's demographics continue to change, experiencing more of the problems happening in Sweden.

If people with "hundreds of convictions" are out on the streets now, what on Earth makes you think they would be facing the death penalty if it were an option?

The determination that someone who has reoffended that number of times is beyond help, and would be eligible for capital punishment. If the death penalty was an option, there would be the will to apply it.

However, I don't believe that the death penalty will return to European countries for the foreseeable future. Its just not where our cultures are (for now).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the point was that if they're out on the streets, how can you execute them? surely you'd only execute those who have been convicted of a crime whose sentence is life without parole?

Ahh I see. Well, I assume that if they have 200 past convictions, they're likely to add another one, which would make them eligible for such a harsh sentence. If capital punishment was an option.

Okay. I'm going to bow out of this discussion at this point. Thanks for the discussion folks. Nice having a reasonable discussion on the topic, but I get the sense we're entering the circular part of any thread.

Advertisement