Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA need to step up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

"Complete and utter nonsense" What on earth are you on about?

Francie claimed that the PSNI pulling themselves out of a tournament was not "sectarian" and I agreed.

We're both waiting for an explanation of how it can be judged sectarian.

I've outlined my thoughts on the Sean South song a few posts before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are people alive today who remember the harm that Sean Russell did to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Don’t join francie in this denial. Sectarianism is complex in ni and not a simple dictionary definition. When local republicans burn my primary school it is sectarian even though 10% of the pupils are catholic. When loyalists attack the rising sun bar it is sectarian even though they killed two Protestant drinkers etc etc.

its the reason an motive that is important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So in order to prove a bogus claim of sectarianism you use two examples of actual sectarianism.

Says it all really.

Why don't you explain what was sectarian about the PSNI incident without referencing anything else? Because you can't, is the answer.

This is supposed to be a discussion about the GAA.

Your examples are nothing to do with the GAA.

The PSNI pulled out of a tournament after being invited to compete by a Co. Down GAA club.

None of the other competing clubs objected to their participation.

They pulled out "following consideration of a range of factors" (their words).

Now please tell me how this is an example of sectarianism by the GAA.

PSNI GAA team withdrew from tournament after it learned other clubs had been told it was participating - The Irish News

PSNI team’s withdrawal from GAA tournament ‘not down to complaints’ - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

It is there in black and white.

“The tournament was discussed at an executive meeting earlier this week and after all participating teams were confirmed it was agreed that all teams should be advised of the participation of the St Michael’s team — this was to avoid any confusion with a Co Down GAA club of the same name”

Let’s tell everybody that there is a gay/black/Asian/PSNI team (delete as appropriate) team taking part.

Absolutlely astonishing, no actually, cancel that, completely unsurprising that our resident exclusionary nationalists are defending this.

Grasping at straws now Blanch.

It is there in black and white.

There is a Down club called St Michaels.

Of course the tournament info given to competing clubs is going to distinguish between the 2 clubs.

The real question is why certain people are trawling through GAA activities desperately trying to hang a "sectarian" label on them even after the official PSNI statement suggests nothing of the sort.

Again this evening there's disgusting threatening language on Twitter because the council have the absolute audacity to mark out a GAA pitch in East Belfast. Some of the language ..."toxic gaa" "outrageous" "entirely unwelcome" "they'll get the message" "it will cause trouble" etc.

The orchestrated demonising of the GAA is deliberately designed to stir the pot and keep Belfast divided into us and them'uns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The PSNI is made up of people from all backgrounds. So there cant be an implication of sectarianism against a group from all backgrounds. So if this was a sectarian incident the sect being discriminated against is the PSNI themselves. Can you refer to PSNI as a sect? Surley it is considered an occupation rather than a sect. And

Who are we to infer are sectarian towards the PSNI? The organisers of the competition who invited the PSNI team to play in the first place? But if they were sectarian against the PSNI they would not have invited them.

Or are we to presume that members of others clubs threatened the PSNI and this is why they withdrew? We have no evidence of this.

Maybe they pulled out because they could not field 15 players lol.

Defending what blanch?

Clearing up confusion?

The same GAA who 'INVITED' this team tot eh tournament, that is USED to it playing in competitions and tournament, that ACCEPTED it's application to join the sporting body suddenly decided to be sectarian?

The PSNI that does not belong to any one wee community either.

Again I ask, were the PSNI team planning to play undercover?

You and downcow, are totally devaluing actual sectarianism and not for the first time either.

• Advertisement

The state of this.

This is the kind of 'bigotry' (the right word, used correctly) that is facilitated by the wrong use of the word 'sectarian'.

Thankfully looking at the comments alot in East Belfast disagree with him. What he thinks is his own community is beginning to turn on him. About time too.

Francie. I done a whole post breaking it down for you into manageable chunks

I believe strongly in the right of the GAA to operate freely in east Belfast or wherever else - same as I believe it’s only right that nationalist bands can parade through unionist town centre (you know what I mean). Jamie is not known for his ability to see things from all sides.

here is a much better tweet from a school teacher in east Belfast

Is this sectarian behaviour from Jamie? Francie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

I would say its more Stupidity and hatred anything Irish more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That Jamie Bryson is like a loyalist Joe Duffy devotee, he is permanently outraged. He must be very unhappy, no content person could get angry so often.

I didn’t ask was it hatred or stupidly. I asked was it sectarianism???

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

It's 'bigotry' and 'intolerence' downcow.

It cannot be sectarian as all kinds of people are members of the GAA including his own.

• Advertisement

The 'teacher' should look up 'tarring all with the one brush'.

Shooting the messenger again, Francie without reading the message.

The teacher never said that all in the GAA were the same. However, they did say that it was serious and prevalent enough to prompt robust action, which is actually all that many have been saying on here and which you have been ignoring while retreating back to your sectarianism not being as bad as their sectarianism.

So in order to look at minor issues and things that are not 'sectarian' at all the 'teacher' has to drag an entire organisation into the converstaion?

Are you for fooking real?

Maybe if Moore wanted to look at relationships with sectariansim across NI it might be truly educational? Has Moore the teacher called for a look at the relationship between the OO and sectarianism?

Are you going to tell us what was specifically sectarian about the PSNI incident?

i disagree. I feel he was being sectarian.

so could you show us sometime when an individual’s action in Northern Ireland was sectarian? I am trying to learn about when it would be appropriate to use it.

A bit of competitive sport might be a good idea for all of you tbh.

Nothing sectarian at all about that incident.

Holmes, Bryson and the rest of those "loyalist community" mouthpieces (most of whom were either children or not even born when the Agreement was signed) exist simply to hold back progress and the constant badmouthing of the GAA (or anything that they consider to belong to "them-uns") is part of that.

What they hate most of all is anything that may bring people together, anything that might ease tensions.

The absolute meltdowns they have over Alliance party activities are legendary.

When Michelle O'Neill laid that wreath a few weeks ago they were absolutely horrified.

The vast vast majority of people in East Belfast are decent people and accepting of others from outside what would traditionally be seen as their community. The very small minority of staunch loyalists ABSOLUTELY HATE the fact that there is a thriving GAA club there. A club that welcomes all faiths/ backgrounds etc. A club that completely debunks their myth of a sectarian GAA right under their noses!

They hate the first Chairperson of that club. A proud Unionist, a sister in law of a famous UVF leader and an Irish speaker.

Their hatred has no future. Their anti-them-uns agenda is slowly and surely being eroded from within their own areas.

Why don't you tell why he was being sectarian?

Is it because you think 'themuns' own the GAA? Same as you think 'you-uns' own the PSNI?

It's anti- Irish bigotry downcow, bigotry against anyone who is Irish, catholic, protestant, jew, etc nationalist, unionist or communist etc. men, women, & children.

I have done several times. You just don't want to confront it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Just to provide context for Downcow's constant insistence that incidents at 11th night bonfires are, 'isolated incidents', or that it is only a few in Belfast that have any problems, fortunately for this year we can quantify exactly how isolated it was.

Out of approximately 250 bonfires, 57 of them had police reports. I would suggest that 23% of fires having a police report, the majority of which were for tricolours or election posters being burned isn't quite as, "isolated" as Downcow suggested. (Nor is it completely ubiquitous as some on the Nationalist side have suggested)

I'd say with absolute confidence that nowhere near 23% of GAA events have such sectarian incidents, so perhaps you could do with getting your own house in order before pointing out how horrendously sectarian the GAA is, Downcow?

What would be the point of that?

Bryson could be knocked down in the first minute but he'd still claim the win or blame somebody else.

I think the GAA should depolitizise and stop naming clubs and competitions after IRA members. Sport and politics dont mix well. There is no need in 2022.

Played it as a kid in Cuala in Dublin and there was certainly no sectarian agenda there. Would love to see the GAA grow in unionists areas but can see why if they're calling clubs and competitions after IRA members then that will hold it back. Some irish people see the IRA as freedom fighters some Irish people see them as terrorists. That is fact. No need for a sporting organisation who's primary goal should be to grow the sport should take a political position on this.

Where do you draw the line here?

A club named after 1 of the heroes of the Easter rising? 1916 ... too recent?

A club named after Wolfe Tone? Late 1700s ... too recent?

So taking that logic a step further, we'd have to do a lot of renaming.

Are we ok with clubs and places named after Cromwell? Wellington? British slave merchants?

EDIT: I've just spotted that you have stated that the GAA should stop naming clubs after IRA members not that clubs should change their names. Unfortunately I think if such a rule was passed, it still wouldn't be enough for the critics.

Is there clubs in Ireland named after Cromwell, Wellington and british slave merchants? If you are talking about clubs in Britain named after these people well it is slightly different as there does not seem to be issue with the brits regarding that. But lets face it. Alot of unionists see the IRA as terrorists. Looking on twitter recently alot are saying they're put off the GAA because of this. I actually dont think it enhances the game one bit and is only preventing growing into unionist communities by doing so.

Basically nobody is going to leave the GAA if they dont name clubs and competitions after IRA members yet some people wont take up the sport because of it. It does seem a no brainer for them to change this. GAA is a sporting organisation and the IRA were an army. There does not need to be a connection anyway.

I get your point but do you think it's logical for someone to take issue with a club called "Wolfe Tones"?

I don't think people like this would ever be satisfied. Imagine your take from that photograph is the name of the club. Wolfe Tone died well over 200 years ago!

Graham Ward on Twitter: "GAA club called the "Wolfe Tones". Really inclusive." / Twitter

Why just the 'GAA' though.

People in NI walk past memorials to those who terrorised their communities for years.

The conversation needs to be about how both sides commemorate and celebrate. Not a pick and mix attitude.

'Sectarianism' and 'bigotry' can then be isolated and dealt with.

• I really wish I'd had the chance to learn hurling when I was young. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I'm well on the wrong side of 50 and I still marvel at the skill and passion.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

It's not coming from the piont "is it logical for a person to have this opinion" It is coming from the piont people factually do have this opinion regarding the naming of clubs and competitions after certain things. If these certain things have nothing to do with the sport why doesn't the sport change it to facilitate people who have issue with it. It would be quite a welcoming and progressive move by the GAA to do this and would give their critics less ammunition to attack the sport or even the likes of loyalists who attack unionists for now playing GAA.

I agree. But it would be better for the sport to take the leading role in this rather than be forced to change through law. Some things are sectarian and make no secret of it and wont change by their own initiative. But the GAA could change here for thier own advantage. I cant see anyone leaving or stop playing GAA if clubs and competitions are not named after IRA members but it certainly would reduce the stigma that is factually there today when someone from east belfast wants to play GAA.

Unfortunately the GAA is not just a sporting organisation. You say there is no connection between the Ira and the GAA. Have a look at the aims of both. You could hardly get a cigarette paper between them.

but I do appreciate your sentiments and agree with much of what you say.

GAA clubs are autonomous which is why they individually decide who they call their clubs after. I am not aware of them naming a club after somebody who wasn't a member.

Therin lies the intractable problem. People on both sides have different versions of the history.

It cannot be resolved by one side capitulating.

Some way has to be found to accommodate what happened on the this island. And it won't be found by making one side deny their version. It is ludicrious to believe that will ever happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What are the aims of both?

The GAA aims according to them is

Our purpose is to promote Gaelic games, culture and lifelong participation as a community-based, volunteer-led organisation which enriches lives and communities.

I doubt that is the same as the IRA.

You might as well go all in downcow. The Irish state has similar aims to the RA and the GAA

• Advertisement

Played as a kid and is certainly not what you experience. There was no politics thought to me there. I read the aims of the GAA just this week. I never thought they had any btw as you can easily play the sport without realising it. It said its aims are promoting the Irish identity through sport in the 32 counties. That is not the same as saying we believe in a 32 county UI. It means it is going to promote the sport in all the counties of Ireland which it does.

Yeah but every club receives money through the GAA. The GAA could put pressure on individual clubs not to do this.

I agree people have different political opinions of the IRA. But to make the sport to open as many there is no need for clubs to take a stance on the IRA by naming a club after a member.... they're sporting clubs at the end of the day.

Your last paragraph is what I mean. The GAA have politically sided with one side of a political spectrum. It is for a political party to this not a sporting club, that want to apeal to as many people to play the sport. It is not denying peoples right to have a political view but just leave it away from sporting clubs that should appeal to all people.

But you can see that won't work.

The PSNI and East Belfast play GAA, but the likes of downcow equates the GAA with the IRA.

That isn't going to end because the GAA order clubs (which will not work either) not to name them after members who were in the IRA.

The GAA has nothing to do with the IRA as an organisation. Individual clubs have memberships who supported the IRA.

That's what needs to be addressed. People supported the IRA, people supported the UVF, people supported the British Army.

As long as commemoration isn't sectarian or deliberately done to taunt, I have no issues tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

the same unionists ranting and raving about the GAA, an Inclusive Oragnisation were very silent on the bonfires, KAT, burning political posters, etc. Maybe get your own sectarian house in order first, after all it wasn't a GAA Hall that grown "People" were singing a song about a murdered woman on her honeymoon" Played GAA for many years and politics never came up.

I did not say the Ira and GAA are one and the same. That is ludicrous. The point I am making is that they both are working towards a United ireland and brits out (although they just refer to us as foreigners).

you can see peppered all through the posts by those who claim the GAA is open to all, constant references to ‘both sides’ have their memorials etc. of course they do but you can’t claim they are bipartisan and then say the GAA have memorials because the other side do.

I do believe every single poster on here knows the GAA has sectarian aims, players, supporters, rules, etc running right through it. I also understand there are masses of good people, doing good things, in and organisation that is very important to the nationalist community. But let’s not pretend it’s open.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement