Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Nct due by end of July. Next appointment 28th of November. Guess I’ll drive with no nct for 5 months. Feck em

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My insurance is due for renewal in September. My NCT is out in August. Next available booking is in October.

Am I going to be refused insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How early can you renew your insurance and when in August does your NCT expire? Is there an overlap you can renew your insurance in?

Read the small print in your policy - some say you have to have a valid NCT others that your car must be maintained in a roadworthy condition. Even if you do manage to renew your insurace you might not be covered without a valid NCT.

Try booking lat at night or early morning when cancellations seem to be processed and open up a few appointment slots at short notice. Try looking at other test centres within 'reasonable' driving distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thanks for that. My current insurance don't seem to care if the NCT is expired but was looking to move elsewhere where it will be probably be more of a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Use the contact form on their website. I got an email back 2 weeks later with a test date for a further 2 weeks after that. Took it yesterday, passed, test was due around 20th Sept, got a full year on the cert from that date.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ozvaldo

anyone know if a speed van picks up expired nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Has nct brought in failure for obd items now or it's it still just advisory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Advisory

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks.

It had been said that it was being stepped up to failure for 2022.

Haven’t heard anything yet from the lads in my local centre only that they’ve been told to keep plugging in for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got an advisory for a high voltage battery reading at my test.

two days later the battery light came on, the belt was worn to bits as it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PukkaPad

If my NCT is due in Feb 2022 can I book now? Appts for Jan available don't want to get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 46,007 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Presumably they mean 2023?

You can book when you like, but if the test takes place more than 90 days before it's due, you get 2 (or 1) years from the test date. Less than 90 days in advance, you get 2 (or 1) years from the previous NCT expiry date.

So if it's due next Feb and you can make a booking now for next Jan then go for it. If you can get one sooner but still within the 90 days, even better, gives plenty of time to fix any issues.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Looks like they've switched to taking the full fee on booking ?

Anyone confirm? I presume as it says so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Correct, that happened a good while ago, think they go pissed with people booking and not showing up.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes for Feb 2023, you can book now but don't pick a date more than 90 days early. I try to do the NCT about 85 days early as it means if the car needs repairs I have plenty of time before I am driving about with an expired NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Anyone know if you can get in trouble with the guards for no NCT when ye can’t get a test.

Earliest date is December, will try get a cancellation but talking about worst case scenario

See https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/motorists-can-jump-six-month-nct-queue-if-they-phone-for-a-test-41604450.html try phoning to get a test before your current cert expires.

Taking an NCT appointment "into consideration" would be a bit vague for me to feel comfortable driving a car that had an expired NCT https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-clarifiy-nct-rules-massive-27604149 It sounds a bit like it's alright until it isn't.

A mate of mine phoned about 2 weeks ago looking for an appointment and was pleasantly surprised to get one for 31 August. He later remembered that it clashed with another appointment and phoned again to explain his situation and they give him a new appointment for 19 August. Seems like it's better to phone rather than booking online. Donegal Town test centre btw.

• Advertisement

Article states they are only putting one third of available appointments online. No reason given. This is a completely unacceptable level of customer service. There is just no excuse for this, especially as they now charge upfront for online bookings.

(Interestingly, when I emailed them to get a booking they made a reservation for me and I didn't have to pay until the day. Why are they not worried about callers or emailers wasting unpaid reservations?)

The standard of service at the NCT has been going downhill for years, long before the handy excuse of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

I had to book a retest recently. I attempted to book it the day I failed test and the next available was January or something silly. I looked the next day and it was about 2 week's away. For retests then seem to update the system overnight to give cars who failed the test very high priority.

As said ringing them can give you best priority. The website priority thing is not quick.

As for driving without a valid NCT, it's an offence, so try get yours completed asap and bring with you proof of an NCT booking. The NCT website always says it's your fault even if no tests are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Went online this morning after the mechanic gave the car the pre NCT

Got a date for 2 weeks away

I see that Aviva doesn't require NCT only that car is roadworthy for what its worth anyway

NCT and Car Insurance Update: Insurance Ireland has stated that its members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to the current delays at the National Car Testing Service(NCTS). Cover will continue to be provided where customers, through no fault of their own, are unable to obtain an NCT appointment. Motor insurance and road traffic legislation require that motorists maintain their vehicles in a roadworthy condition at all times and this remains the case. Under the current circumstances, provided motorists make every effort to book appointments in the normal way, insurance companies will recognise that the current issue is not the fault of the customer.

Wonder how many years Applus expect the "current delays" to continue...?

Which we all know didn't start with Covid

They should be getting hammered with penalty clauses for poor performance of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The Octavia is due it's first NCT. It's been out since the 7th of Aug. When viewing the ncts site in July the earliest dates were in Jan/Feb... I've been refreshing the booking page for days waiting for a better date as they do pop up. I held out and managed to get one for tomorrow afternoon. So fingers crossed all is well.

I had also applied for a cancellation booking on their site in July, which I never heard back about. Why I was able to book a random date tomorrow myself and wasn't given a cancellation does not make sense. Obviously their process for allocating cancellation bookings is broken.

I never have much to complain about for the actual NCT test. I always find it fair and the results in line with my expectations. But this huge backlog is ridiculous. My Lexus NCT will is due next May, I'll be able to book a March booking soon for it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

NCT is up in September, started checking all the Cork locations - earliest was December/January. But I started checking the same places 5 or 6 times a day, as I heard cancellation dates appear. On the 4th day of checking, I got one for next Friday in Macroom. I had seen 3 others for September but took the chance I might get an earlier one and I did. Just have to pass it now!

• Advertisement

Hmmm..... Sure it will be alright until it isn't.

The law says it is an offence to drive a car without a valid NCT. A nod and a wink is simply not good enough.

The governent needs to enact legislation to extend the validity of all NCT certicates by the length of the current backlog. i.e. approx 6 to 9 months and the next and subsequent NCT certificates validity period start from this newly extended date.

I'd suggest this should include proactively posting the extended validity NCT certificate to every vehicle owner in advance of their current NCT expirary date until such time as the backlog is cleared and one is guaranteed an appointment within 28 days.

The current NCT situation is a complete farce!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement