Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've been to Scotland but I don't know how keenly defined their identity is.

However if it was as keenly defined as Irish identity don't you think they would have been driving for independence for centuries at this stage?

A poster here who I'd say is a well versed in the lie of the land in Scotland only recently said that Scottish identity right now would not be enough to deliver independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

But the Scotland background is different to Ireland in so far as they had 2 wars of independence in the 13th and 14th centuries and thereafter remained an independent state until they voluntarily entered a union of equals in 1707. Now it appears no so equal so why wouldn't they be entitled to disentangle themselves?

Pretry sure I read somewhere that most of the Irish weren't concerned with the 'Irish Identity' or independence by the time our Declaration was made, it was how the leaders in particular Connolly were executed that turned general public sentiment pro-independence.

Maybe the current Tory apathy/Brexit is their watershed moment like we had in 1916?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

but Labour are on the same page as the Tories on a Scottish independence referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You don't know how keenly defined the Scottish identity is?

In general or in relation to something specific?

Can you tell me about some national identities that you do know are keenly defined other than your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think you'll find that Scotland's entry into the UK was very shady and marked by widespread bribery. So bad was the general reaction in Scotland that they they had to impose martial law on the country.

Ireland's entry into the UK a century later was equally nefarious and dodgy, marked by huge bribes to shameless characters on the Irish side. This was a deeply corrupt English regime.

• Advertisement

True, and I think they will always be, but they are not a toxic as the Tories.

The toxity of the Tories is helping the SNP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Labour and the Tories have already lost Scotland.

If Labour need the SNP to form a Gov, then we know the price. Labour should add STV and multi-seat constituencies. That way the should have a chance of power without Scotland. There are too many FPTP safe Tory seats for them to win without it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can't just compare like with like, given both Scotland and Ireland experienced vastly different histories within that of the overall Union: Ireland effectively becoming a victim & vassal state for the 800 years oft mentioned in rebel songs?. While the Kingdom of Scotland remained a defined identity, having various wars of independence, its own attempts at colonising the New World (google The Darian Scheme), and furthering the fuzzy complexity with the likes of James I, King of Scotland and King of England. All of this grey area culminating in the 1707 Act of Union: a voluntary amalgamation of the two Kingdoms. But there always remained a sense of Scottish identity, most superficially expressed through anglicised concepts like the Tartan kilt. Scottish culture has also left its own mark on Irish identity, as the Ulster Plantations introduced distinctly Scottish aspects to (Northern) Irish culture that remain to this day - as we know full well.

Fundamentally though, Scotland has been independent in the past; it was just convenient to enter into a voluntary union where they were nominal equals by dint of Royal blood, or the economy and industry of the 2 major Scottish cities adding important muscle to the overall power of Britain. However, as @Grassey mentioned, Irish identity was a passing fad across the centuries until over-zealous British leaders shot a bunch of otherwise unpopular rebels in 1916. Nothing so tragic is happening now, as the era of the armed revolution in Europe has broadly past; but instead we have Tories attempting to Other Scotland as an ungrateful rump - instead of embracing a partner feeling a little scorned. That at least was something Boris Johnson understood, albeit through his idiotic plans for a "Love Bomb" to convince fidgety Scots not to leave the Union.

And in any case, even the question of "national identity" becomes an odd fish when cast against the reality that IMO, nationhood didn't really exist until revolutionary & post-monarchial times; "nations" were abstracted parts of land various Kings and Emperors claimed as their own, with no regard for the people living within or their respective languages, religion or culture (there were notable exceptions of course). To keep the topic relevant, events such as the Jacobite rebellion being as much about a war of Scottish Succession as it was a glorious yearning for Scottish independence - though it could be both of course.

(Hold my hands up here that there would be those much better learned on Scottish history, so god knows what reductions and misinterpretations I've made; but arguably, Scotland has had more of a distinct, forceful sense of self across the centuries than Ireland through the same period. If anything, there's an prickly suggestion IMO that Ireland was quicker to try and destroy its own culture than the Scots. Mostly external, but often self-sabotage)

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I wonder if those who deny Scottish identity have ever crossed the border from England to Scotland and noticed the sudden and complete change in accent of the local people on each side of the border.

Nowhere in England is there such a sudden change of accent when crossing from one region to another. Maybe as one travels from central England towards Cornwall there is a quite noticeable change, but it is nowhere as sudden as crossing the border with Scotland.

There is also a significant change in culture in Scotland from that in England.

• Advertisement

Indeed, there's no way anyone could mistake Scotland as an 'English region'. They are technically a different race to the English in that they are Celtic and not Anglo-Saxon and they mostly have Scottish surnames. They have a distinctive culture, much more developed than Wales for example (with the notable exception of language).

The waters are rather muddied by 'Scottish Unionists' though - a strange bunch of individuals who appear to be in denial of their own Scottishness, who deny that Scotland is a real country and who seem to be in love with right wing English nationalism. One gets the feeling that they don't even want Scotland to be a devolved administration and would much rather be run directly by Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@Strazdas wrote "They are technically a different race to the English in that they are Celtic and not Anglo-Saxon "

Have you any data to back this up.

Recent data suggests that there Scottish and Welch have about 30% Anglo-Saxon ancestry while English have about 38%. Not a huge difference given the large statistical error/spread.

( Schiffels, S. et al. (2016) Iron Age and Anglo-Saxon genomes from East England reveal British migration history, Nature Communications 7, Article number:10408 doi:10.1038/ncomms10408)

Realistically though, any decision for independence will be a political one and not based on so called "race" . I am not too sure there are difference races of humans today.

They certainly don't strike me as particularly looking the same as people from the south of England anyway - lots of dark hair and some redheads but not so many blondes or fair haired people. I wouldn't be too hung up on genetics at all though, it's the cultural differences that are primarily driving forward the independence movement, a feeling that they are their own nation.

England is not a uniform region as far as culture is concerned. I think, removing the greater London area which has always been a melting pot.

Now taking a very crude division, we have three regions.

Take south of a line from King's Lynn to Bristol is largely the same accent, except from the overspill of London accents as they migrated away from London following WW II. Some area south of London have populations that are 60% non-native to the area, but those who are native have accents similar to Somerset.

Now take a line from King's Lynn to Preston, and north of that to the Scottish border was Viking country, and again culturally different from the rest of England. Basically Geordie and Yorkshire. I heard a story of a Norwegian pilot shot down and hospitalised in rural Yorkshire with not a word of English. He had no difficulty conversing with the local nurses (aside from the obvious) who had no word of Norwegian, but enough of the local dialect was understandable to both.

The bit left has similar accents - Scouse and Brum. Now, I suppose Anglo influence here with the southern bit being Saxon or the other way round. Of course there was a Roman influence plus the Normans had a bit of involvement as well.

Add in there is a significant English class and education matter in the whole question as well.

But both Scotland and Ireland retained their own culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Christy42

I feel Scotland should aim for the soft brexit approach. Change as little as is required immediately. The brexit vote could have been far less of a disaster if many of the politicians leading the leave vote had stayed true to pre referendum statements they made. Reduce the shock to the system caused by a leave vote and make slow changes as desired.

There is a financial risk but there is also one in staying. Currently Scotland is one of the few (only?) regions outside of London that have managed to keep an economy going under Westminster rule. Will they be able to keep this up permanently or end up crippled like Northern Ireland and staying simply because they have been reduced to depending on handouts?

They will never be respected in the UK. The current prime minister once stated a scot should not be prime minister which would see them as lesser than English if they are seen by some as unable to be in the highest political office in the land. Brexit was driven primarily (not only) by English nationalism. Not UK nationalism.

The worst thing to happen for Scottish independence is an IndyRef2 that is voted down.

So whatever it takes to get the yes vote up to the 60% plus level before the vote should be done. A 52%/48% result would never do.

The No side will throw all sorts of false arguments into the mix to muddy the waters, like Sterling and EU membership. What does it matter whether Scotland 'has permission' to shadow Sterling or not. The Danes shadow the Euro, but Sweden does not, but both 'must' join it - sometime.

It would be a mistake to make a pledge to tie Scotland to Sterling, particular with the head-banger likely to take charge of the UK economy. Equally, make any promises that would hobble a new independent Scotland, but of course they need to win the vote.

The EU membership issue could well be THE issue that either wins or loses the vote.

In my view, the whole 'join the EU' line should be removed from the debate on independence as that is a decision for another time. Importantly, the SNP should be saying it is up to the people in Scotland how they want Scotland to interact with the rest of the world and independence allows the people in Scotland to make their own choices. Staying in the UK gives that choice to the people in another country

Worth pointing out that Scotland's entry into the EU would almost certainly require a referendum to ratify it. Virtually every country that has joined the EEC / EU since 1973 has used a national referendum - bar the well known political basket case of a nation.

So that is something that could be stressed to the Scottish public, that they could only ever join with their own permission.

Joining the EU is not on offer from the EU at this time, nor is it in the gift of a newly independent Scotland.

The main push for independence should be based on the Scottish people, through their own independence, will make decisions that effect Scotland, and those decisions will be made by Scottish people, elected to a Scottish parliament, beholden to no-one outside Scotland.

In other words, Westminster will have no hand act or part in Scottish affairs. For good or bad, Scotland will be an independent country and will make its way in the world, in charge of its economy, its society, its defense, and its social security.

But surely the whole push for indyfref2 is because of Brexit?

Indyref was supposed to be a once in a generation thing, unless something material changed.

Well that something material did change and it was Brexit.

And as soon as the Brexit vote happened and a majority of Scots voted Remain then the push for indyfref2 started.

So I don't think you can get independence across the line in the foreseeable future without making a return to the EU a major part of it.

They could try using Brexit as an example of not having control while at the same time never mentioning anything in regard to EU membership application, but that's a thin line to walk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, 45% of Scots voted to remain in a United Kingdom that was then committed to staying in the EU. That's not a small number but I think we can fairly conclude that the SNP would be dominant in an independent Scotland and, as such, would push aggressively to join the EU.

The problem is that it's not something they can do unilaterally. While the Spanish government has said it wouldn't block Scotland's accession so long as it left the UK in a constitutional manner, there are 26 other countries to deal with. North Macedonia changed its name in a deal with Greece so they could join. I visited Skopje shortly afterwards and it was clearly a difficult decision for them. Then, Emmanuel Macron vetoed their accession.

The EU is facing serious problems in the form of Russia, climate change and others. Adding a new member with a land border with a bad actor who is already refusing to adhere to the terms of an international agreement is not the best idea for the EU27 at the moment.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

As you say Brexit was a smack in the face for Scots who dealt with a bad faith Gov. That Gov has excelled in acting in bad faith ever since, getting badder by the day. They cannot be trusted by the Scots, nor by the EU, and probably by any Gov they interact with.

So, simplify the argument - Scots cannae trust the UK Gov - for anything.

Independence gives them the freedom they want to act in their own, sole interest - not beholden to the English dominated UK Gov. Brexit is likely to be on the agenda following independence - but decided by Scotland. Economic policy will be important - but decided by Scotland. That may involve keeping Sterling, or it may involve tracking a basket of currencies based on trade levels - but decided by Scotland.

If you want a three word slogan that is the type favored by Brexiteers then - DECIDED BY SCOTLAND.

A push for joining the EU can only happen when they become an independent state. Why would they muddy the water and overcomplicate indyref2 with talk of joining the EU. Why risk victory in the referendum over something they can't do anything about.

Realistically they'd join the EEA/EFTA first well before accession to the EU needs to come up. But again, that's only something independent sovereign nations can deal with.

I know that Unionists, just like yourself, love to to throw crap at the wall in the hope that that the repetition of the lies in 2014 works next time around, but there's no need for it on here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Joining the EFTA/EEA means a Norway type deal. And as Scotland is an exporter of food and energy that's not a bad thing.

Also no Euro so can peg to Sterling like we did. Scottish banks already hold 100% Sterling reserves so should be stable. Scottish law is already different from English law so no problems adopting some EU rules for access to EU markets.

Joining the Euro isn't an option until the economy diversifies away from the rest of the UK a tad.

There'll be less Scottish MP's and more MP's from England in Westminster after the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,799 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Assuming there isn't an early election - again!

There was a set of new constituencies were due for the 2020 GE that didn't happen - there being 2017 and 2019 ones before it.

There is now a further new one; which leaves Scotland and Wales with more MPs than the last one did (still less than before); NI staying the same; and it only comes in to effect in July. An election before them will use the 2015 constituencies, again.

There was no 'once in a generation' agreement at all. It was a campaign slogan

Indeed, this was just bandied about as rhetoric to encourage people to come out and vote.

The way the current unionists have seized on it to try and prevent a second referendum is disingenuous.

The IndyRef2 campaign need better slogans.

I would suggest getting Brexit into the mix would be counterproductive. In fact, getting any specific questions into the campaign will not help. Keep it general, with as little detail as possible. The current situation with the Westminster Gov ignoring Scotland, and Scottish MPs, even on matters that only apply to Scotland needs to be central.

LET SCOTLAND DECIDE.

Scotland has a population of 5,000,000 - about the same as ours, and Denmark's. Why should they not be independent? Why are they not being able to make their own decisions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You're talking about a country where Boris Johnson's Conservative party wields unfettered power on the back of 13.96 million voters out of a population of almost 70 million people. People wanting things in the UK isn't relevant until the demand becomes overwhelming. Scottish independence will never attain this level because Scotland is a minority entity within the UK. The Tories can't lose Scotland for strategic and economic reasons, Labour can't abandon a future voting base and Orkney & Shetland is the closest thing to a Lib Dem safe seat there is.

IndyRef only happened because all three parties were confident they could win and therefore settle the matter. When that proved wrong, the Tories began virtue signalling about once in a generation while Liz Truss u-turned on Brexit for political benefits.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement