Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH router

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

ceon wrote: »
    Hi PaddyTheNth
    Any advice on setting up the RT2600ac with eir. I have FTTH and the F3000 just wasn't great. But I'm having issues with trying to setup the Synology router.

Thanks

What's the particular problem you're having?

In terms of getting internet access, from what I remember, set Connection type to Auto and in ISP Setting (IPTV & VOIP) set the VID to 10 and you're done.

However - while it all just works if you have a single/primary Internet connection - I recommend in the strongest terms staying away from trying to set up a secondary connection, if one of the connections requires VLAN tagging (see VID above) i.e. Eir. There's all sorts of insanity going on under the hood there, and while I finally got it working in manual failover mode, automatic failover just completely refused to work. A big part of the behaviour seemed to be undocumented even for internal Synology support and some of it felt untested to me as a dumb customer.

Otherwise it's a great bit of kit though, I really like the features and it has been rock solid.

Edit: the above assumes you have Eir FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ceon

Thanks PaddyTheNth
    I have Eir FTTH, a single connection only - not trying to setup a secondary failover.
    I tried setting the connection type to Auto and also the (IPTV) setting to 10 - this setting was for LAN1 I couldn't find the VID setting for WAN port.

But its not connecting.

I've also tried the PPPoE connection using eircom@eircom.net/broadband1 as username/password but still it didn't work.

My LAN cable from the ONT is plugged into the WAN port on the RT2600ac. I've also tried plugging it into LAN1 connection (this was because the VID 10 was on that port).
    This LAN1 Port is for the failover mode on the router. Let me get some screenshots together as it might be easier to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Sorry for the delay in responding.

From memory when I was using just the Eir FTTH connection on its own, I had it plugged into the WAN port and the VLAN/VID setting was set the same as you have it.

I note that the ISP Settings on mine are labelled a bit differently to yours, but I expect that is because I've got 2 separate connections. I'm sure I was putting the VID in the first available field, like you have it there.

In my setup the Eir connection is in LAN 1.

Sorry I can't be more help. It might be worth contacting Synology support, they were pretty good to engage with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnjsm21

Can you explain more on the second option. Do I need to change anything else on the Eir router. How do I setup virtual server port forwarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

A couple of questions regarding Eir FTTH:

Can anyone confirm the model of modem/NTU Eir are providing with new FTTH installs (500Mbit & 1Gbit)?

I'm curious to know its possible to change DNS servers on DHCP and the subnet configured on the LAN interface.

Is the service synchronous or asynchronous? If async, listed upstream speeds?

Is there contention on the line? Contention ratio?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Contention ratio : about 30 premises shares fibre optic line ( 3Gb capacity)

1000 download/100 upload

500 download/ 50 upload

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I know this is a very old thread but it keeps showing up in google when searching for installing your own router with Eir FTTH.

Settings confirmed working are

Plug new router directly into ONT box, no need to bridge old EIR router.

WAN: VLAN10

PPPOE

eir@eir.ie (eircon@eircom.net would not work for us and gave a timeout error)

Broadband1

You don't need PPPOE for Eir FTTH .

You could choose connection without Username and Pass altogether.

Really, I thought that alright but that was the only way I could get it to connect with my new router plugged directly into the ONT box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ULMarc

I'm glad to find someone else has mentioned this problem with a connection on Android. I had the same problem. Though, it was only with certain content. So it gave me the impression it might have trouble connecting to whatever CDN the affected content is on. Frustrating since it kind of half-worked.

Anyway, fixed by changing the DNS settings on the router.

Eir FTTH allows you connect directly, bypass PPPoE. If you choose PPPoE then it will work with ANY user name and any password. vodafone@vodafone.ie pw broadband would work too .

If you on 1 Gbps package then I would avoid PPPoE , it unload some CPU usage from your router.

Thanks I’ll try change that but like I said above any username/pass did not work for me, I dont know why but eircom@eircom.net returned a timeout error, tried multiple times, but eir@eir.ie worked.

I’ll try without ppoe at all

Are you on OpenEir FTTH or NBI FTTH ? Eir could use both.

Only Eir on OpenEir FTTH network doesn’t require PPPoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

New install in neighbor's house, Wifi getting 500Mbps+, 10m CAT5 cable from back of F3000 ETH PORT1 to a Netgear 8-ports Gigabit Switch (Home Network type) - PC and Mac Air Detect 1GB interface but F3000 LAN port shows 100Mbps and of course speedtest wont go past 95MB on either PC or Mac Air, whats going on here?

Tried restarting the F3000 and also forced PC to 1GB Full duplex but no change. Immediately after install the setup was using an old Netgear 100Mbps switch.

EDIT: Found the problem, well there was 2 issues here! The cheap netgear switch was not giving a gigabit connection and the cable run must be CAT5 and not CAT5e or it is too long as that also prevented the 1GB sync. New cable and switch solved this one.

Post edited by ZeRoY on

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nicolas_Bandon

I'm on NBI FTTH with eir. I would like to replace the eir modem. Do you know the password and username for PPPoE?

It shouldn't be an issue really.

I am not sure about NBI though, I would try those:

Username: eircom@eircom.net

Pass: broadband1

Don't forget VLAN 10 tagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 david0732

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the Eir router with my TPLink Deco.

I used Internet vlan 10 and vlan priority 0 but get no coonection.

It is strange as I get an IP address from the huawei ftth.

Anyone has a suggestion to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nicolas_Bandon

Thanks alec76! I replaced my eir router with my 3 TPLink Deco boxes and it's working perfectly.

I used Internet vlan 10 and vlan priority 0, and for IPv4 I chose PPPoe, username=eir@eir.ie, password=broadband1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maxg999

Very helpful thread in setting up my Gl-Inet router.

I set it up with no username no password in DHCP mode and Vlan ID set up at 10 as some mentioned here.

If it can help anyone and you struggle stetting up a new router check how your router is plugged to the ONT, originally the RJ45 was coming out from the WAN and plugging into the WAN of the router (how it should for security reason), but it's not needed to come out from the ONT WAN and was creating an issue on my side so coming out fron the ONT LAN plugging into the router LAN solved it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement