Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Thoroughly enjoyed that episode, I think looking back is essential, firstly it provided context and meaning to Genes behaviour, secondly it should not be completely assumed that every viewer knows every scene of BB inside out. Reminders of the events that went on etc around the time he met Walt and Jesse helped me alot. Its a bit much to skip 6 years of his life, only on the basis that we've probably all seen BB. BB was about Sauls life too!

It also demonstrated very nicely his thought process and the depth of his character by the time he walked into the school. Whereas in BB he's just the shady but kinda loveable lawyer who shows up at the classroom. Love that video someone posted above of the transition.

What I liked most about the episode was that despite the Walt/Jesse cameo the most tense and exciting moment of the show was Gene walking into the house at the end.

Only dissapointment was how old Jesse looked, I dont know why the directors/producers did not decide to address that issue. Granted for all the other characters over the span of 6 seasons I am assuming it would be too much work but for a 2/3 minute scene I would have surely thought they would be able to address it through a mix of CGI etc (without it looking fake, especially as it was a night scene) or even just make up. Whats crazy is he even looked younger in his REAL picture with the statues recently.

I enjoyed them showing up on the show but that particular issue did take away from it for me. Walt gets away with it cause hes older anyway.

Side Note: I think its fair to say the Kim story is finished. And I am happy with how they finished it tbh. Its the most realistic and lets not forget this is 6 years on, she has moved on with her life and is probably just worried for his well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was another solid episode. Goes back to what Howard said - Jimmy, through all his personas, just can't help himself, never could because it's just hard-coded in his nature.

Can't wait to see what "Gene" is up to amassing all this money, if there's some reason that somewhat justifies what he's doing so ruthlessly.

Bryan Cranston looked great but Aaron Paul looked like he was awkward cosplaying - totally agree with the above, he looked older than he actually looks in real life, and in other shows. Still though, it was nice to see them.

I know Better Call Saul largely works without having seen Breaking Bad - and I know people watching that are in that situation - but at this point, you'd be totally lost.

Anyway, I think it's still firmly on track, enjoyed the last two episodes and hopefully the last two do the whole run justice, but I've seen nothing so far to indicate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I would have preferred a better balance between the Gene & Jimmy timelines in the show particularly in this final season. It feels like the show spent so much time with Gus & Lalo that it's now scrambling to tie up the loose ends of the Gene story in the final few episodes. It seems like Gene going back to cancer guy's house will be his undoing but I just don't get why he couldn't let that mark go. Maybe there's some kind of timetable he's working towards which will hopefully explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Exactly.

I think some people just want "splosions" in every episode.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't recognise the lad from Home Alone.

I'm sure Francesca drove past the park bench where Badger was caught selling drugs, that lead to them bringing Saul into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1) She indicated while driving, however because she thought she was being followed, she turned right. Once the other car turned away and she realised she wasn't being followed, it shows her pulling up to the same junction (meaning she went round the block) and this time turned left, which was the direction she was meant to go the first time.

2) Probably contained a variety of different drinks, and would taste rubbery from being in the hot water bottle.

My reading about it was more about his state of mind, rather than a plan that he is hell bent on seeing through. I think it was the same with Kim when they wanted to take down Howard.

In this episode we see he has lost everything and everyone, its also obvious he wont be going back (the reference in the phone call about the lengths the authorities have taken it to), the very next scene he is clearly deep in a state of despair or anger (staring at the bun mixer, but maybe I didnt pick up on something there?), and then the next scene he goes back to Jeff to start a new plan.

I would conclude that the long running message throughout all the seasons is that his trickster behaviour is his way of avoiding his own loneliness and pain. I would not be surprised if we see another reference to his brother before the season ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The kim phonecall will reveal everything... It can't be a simple "thanks I'm doing fine in Florida" conversation... Is Kim involved with the cartel now or is she married or something bigger? There's a huge reason he went full Saul in this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Thanks. That is the beauty about this thread, always an explanation.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I can't see this ending any way other than Gene getting arrested and ending up in jail. Breaking an entry into the cancer persons home felt like the writers, removing any remaining doubt in anyone's head, that jail is the right outcome.

I wonder if BCS will end with Gene all alone in a prison cell? or maybe Kim comes to visit and the screen turns back to colour as she greets him?

I get the writers wanting to round everything off, and do it in an artistic way. But, tbh, from a purely entertainment perspective these last two episodes have just lost me. I don’t think there has been a single episode of BB or BCS that I’ve paused, thinking “I’ll have to come back to this later”. I’m finishing it up, because I can’t not, but it’s disappointing.

imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭quokula

I think anyone who just wants "splosions" every episode would have stopped watching BCS a long time ago. Ironic that someone said that anyone complaining about the last two episodes just want a heist every episode when the opposite is true - the entire last episode literally was a heist, and half the running time of this one was a scam too, but I'd rather see more focused character development than an elaborate heist set up mostly featuring characters I don't care about.

I'd agree with others that are not enjoying the Gene sections massively. There have been multiple primary story arcs throughout BCS that have all concluded in satisfying ways over the final season and they could have just finished a couple of episodes ago in my opinion. You can have a perfectly strong story arc and learn all you need to know about a character without also then fast-forwarding to a later stage in their life to see whether they've changed or not. The ending of the prior episode where Kim leaves and it cuts to Jimmy having gone full Saul Goodman as a result would have been a perfect ending to the show IMO, it didn't need to peer further into the future.

And if you do want to look at how he's getting on later in life it could have been done in a couple of scenes rather than multiple episodes. There's no need to be introducing multiple entirely new characters (even Jeff was only in it for a couple of minutes previously) at this stage of the show in my opinion. Multiple minutes watching a guy who's name I didn't catch lining up the credit cards of another random guy and taking photos of them just felt ridiculously indulgent.

I enjoyed the start with the phone call to Francesca, I'm intrigued by the phone call to Kim, and I enjoyed the Breaking Bad throwbacks, though the scene in the van was more like a cameo for the sake of it than any great insight into their early relationship with Saul. The scene with Mike describing what he thought of Walt was far stronger in my opinion. I'm hoping we do get a bit more of that and that the phonecall wasn't the last of Kim, as I don't want another episode of Gene and his crew getting up to hijinks. I guess there shouldn't be more of that since it's been well signposted that entering this house will be his downfall, so we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I just watched the episode Fun and Games and I am very disappointed.

Jimmy and Kim break up and then the show takes a leap forward in time to the Saul of Breaking Bad skipping over the break up and how his actual final steps of becoming fully Saul.

I thought was the whole point of this series?

With the detail they have put into the Mike and Fring part of the story I expected the same for Jimmy.

what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How can it show the break up but skip over the break up?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I think the poster means the aftermath of the break up.

I would have preferred a linear storyline from the break up into BB as well. With the characters that we’ve been invested in. And not to devote substantial time to characters that have been absent through 120 odd episodes to date and whom I don’t care about.

Maybe there wouldn't be much to happen between the break up and Saul falling in with Walt. In which case they could have added an episode, maybe two, to series 5 and finished it up.

The writers obviously thought it necessary to wrap up the character, as every other character had been wrapped up (including Jesse). And the only mechanism for that are these time skip sequences. But it’s ruined it IMO. I don’t think he needed to be wrapped up

Tbh I don’t think they could have made his transition any more thorough or slow over the last few seasons. In fact there was even a good few false dawns imo. I am not sure what else they could have written to further show that Jimmy was becoming Saul. I loved that they finally decided a “break point”, and Kim leaving was a perfect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Not quite sure how I feel about the Gene scenes. I find them quite compelling in the main — this week’s episode more so than the previous one. It definitely does feel like a different show, which is kind of the idea I guess, much like the last few episodes of BB with Walt in New Hampshire.

I thought the scene with Mike was very impactful. He gave him a stern warning to leave Heisenberg but, as Chuck said, Saul just can’t help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I like this especially the screen turning back to colour if Kim reappears. Would be a great ending. I can imagine Jimmy running the show in prison considering he helped most convicts in Albuquerque. He might be happy enough with that ending and having Kim back, even just as his lawyer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It was me who mentioned heists in the context that some people complained about slower episodes of BB and then raved about heists and action. Saying it was back on form etc but I always enjoyed the other type of episodes more.

The difference with the heist in the BCS episode is that the heist in BB was used to progress the story along and involved many key characters whereas the mall robbery was all about showing Saul/Gene's true character and personality. The robbery and the scamming and the other characters are not as important in showing what type of person he really is and the ominous path he appears to be going down.

I have really enjoyed it and I also think it's wise to wait till the last 2 episodes air and series conclude to see how it all ties together and what they payoff is as that can change people's perspective on the last 2 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Highly recommend going back and watching Season 2 Episode 8 'Better Call Saul' in BB. After watching the latest episode of BCS it was great to see the expanded version of the first interactions of Saul Goodman with the wider BB characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought the Kim phone call was cleverly done. Let’s the viewer imagine also gives Gene the push to regress/return to full Saul - with the handbrake off.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

Saw this on Twitter and thought it was great:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

SPOILER

just seen a teaser for the FINAL EPISODE seemed to be shown on Sling in the States seemed to be legit Probably a misdirect as most of the teasers have no bearing on the episode or they are cut differently I don't know which timeline it's in I will leave the link below a lot of discussion about it on the BCS subreddit

Potential

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

https://youtu.be/ykfuczzUN3U

Also regarding Kuby Bill Burr was asked if he was appearing apparantly they had a piece written for him but couldn't commit to it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gene and Jeff are like an off brand Walt and Jesse.

Preview and theories of next week's episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Currently avoiding any teaser/spoiler/analysis like the plague.

All I'll say is that I'm a bit disoriented by the ending of that episode. Enjoyed the link to BB, and one thing that resonated with me... in BB when Saul is kidnapped by the guys, I actually laughed during that scene, and thought of Laurel and Hardy. In the rolling meth lab cameo, Saul calls them Laurel and Hardy, well indirectly. Thought they got away with it, despite the passage of time for Aaron Paul and Brian Cranston.

What I can't figure, is WHY is Gene doing this carry-on at all? Doesn't he have a bag of diamonds under the floor boards (if my memory is right, they were in that tin that he and Marco recovered from the old family shop). Plus he had suitcases of money and he's obviously living under the radar, so no blingy lifestyle to fund. He's hiding his new money behind the sink, just like Jesse when he rented the house from Jane.

With two episodes to go, I'd say they're accelerating down the final straight, but that doesn't mean Gene entering that house is going to be his undoing. Maybe we're just meant to think so.

*Someone wondered what happened in the phone box - very Goodfellas looking, when Joe Pesci got whacked. Hope not! I think Gene will be saved by Kim, perhaps by her having reactivated her lawyers permit (bit of a stretch there, wishful thinking). Jimmy/Saul/Gene can't get away with criminality, some sort of justice will have to be seen to be visited on him. Prison? Heart attack? Car crash? Or escape to a penniless existence - probably the least likely.

Jeff's mother is getting too much airtime, wonder is she part of the denouement?

I accidently saw the names - as in the titles for each- for the last two episodes, quite unsettling. It has unconsciously affected something I wrote above* but I'll say no more.

I'll be back on Wednesday week, and we can all have a good cry 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

the development of the relationship from co-workers/friends up to the break up is very thorough - but even at that point there is still difference between that Jimmy/Saul and the one he becomes suddenly at the end of the episode.

And there is more to Kim than just being with Jimmy.

it is just absolutely ridiculous to skip over that aftermath - the Mike/Fring story has been to incredibly detailed. Yet, the end of the relationship between the two leads in the show wrapped up immediately and the main characters final fall from decency is skipped.

As in the further impact on them of Howard’s murder.

I suspect some kind of flashback about the after math of the break up but that is not the way to do it.

• Advertisement

New show in the works 😂😂😂

Advertisement