Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Healy had the exact same opportunity when Carbery was injured for so long, and he didn't remotely take it. (Crowley had the same chance btw and was even worse off).

Really harsh reading of Healy and Crowley during Carbery’s injury period, imo. They were both, what, 19 or 20 during the majority of that period?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That might not be the case if Frawley was actually playing games at 10.

He was moved out to 12 at Leinster for a reason and people are reading far too much into games against a scratch side (albeit a quality one).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Frawley has a lot of strengths and did very well in NZ considering his lack of game time. He’s big, very good defence and a running threat. Great place kicker too. He can only improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

was going to agree with everything you said..........then you said billy burns is the second best 10, which he just isnt im afraid. hes a decent player and hes been scapegoated for one mistake against wales, but he wasnt ever really the best option

frawley is a possibility but he hasnt had enough time at 10 to judge.

ross byrne is the next best in line whether people like it or not. i wish it were one of the munster options, healy and crowley probably have more potential but they wont get any meaningful time at 10 while carbery is being shoehorned in there, but rn they just arent. RB gets a massive amount of unfair flak (like BB), largely from people who dont have a clue what theyre talking about, but theres a reason cullen and lancaster have stuck by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I would have agreed about Bryne, before the HC final. He was atrocious when he came on, and played no small part in the losing of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Is it harsh?

Healy has just turned 23. Crowley is only five months younger.

Murray was 22 when he became first choice for Ireland. Carbery was 21 in Chicago. Jackson was starting a European final at 20.

Whatever is holding these lads back, it's not youth.

he was poor in fairness but sexton had made a few mistakes before he went off too and the momentum had definitely swung in LR's direction

id argue the ref not having any bottle lost the game for leinster much more than any of either sexton or RB's mistakes though tbh (and thats coming from a massive munster and o gara fan) - how LR only got one yellow is beyond me

what held jackson back is the obvious.

whats holding some of the other options back currently is a combination of sexton continuing to play at a unbelievably high standard combined with an insistence that carbery is a 10 and not a 15

What's holding the current crop of lads back is their ability. Plain and simple.

The idea that Healy is only second choice at Munster because IRFU insist on it is the greatest load of nonsense.

If we're talking specifically about Carbery's injury period (which is what you mentioned), then yes it is harsh imo. It effectively started in Jan 2019 when:

• Healy was 19 in year 1 academy
    • Crowley had only just turned 19 and wasn't even in year 1 academy for another year and a half.

If Carbery were to get injured for an extended period now, I'd be very hopeful one or other would take the opportunity and make it very difficult for Joey to get back in on his return.

• Advertisement

Eh? How is it revisionism? Carbery started the 2016-17 season in incredible form.

As for Burns, he's a grand player but saying things like he's the second best we have and it's not even close is way over the top.

The idea that Carbery is there purely on the basis of sunk costs doesn't really hold up. Farrell took over in November 2019. Carbery played his first game for Farrell in July 2021. Is it really logical to think that he just discarded nearly two years of other out halves playing and training for him, because Joe had put a lot of time into him?

Simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

not really. they insisted JC was on the bench in heineken cup games towards the end of his time in leinster despite the coaches preferring ross byrne, they sorted his move to munster when it became clear leinster saw his as a 15

much as id like that to happen, i dont see it. both JJ and healy deserved to keep the 10 jersey in their respective times and yet JC was parachuted straight back in as soon as he came back from injury, i dont see that changing anytime soon

Well that's the thing about Carbery, he gives his understudies plenty of chances.

IIRC Healy started two pool games in Europe this season and the away leg in Exeter, plus numerous URC games.

And yet here we are.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your insinuation was that players earn their spot by playing exceptionally and then keep it through good performances.

This is demonstrably not true in the case of Carbery.

The notion that Carbery retains his spot through performances is genuinely baffling. He is good for at least a couple of big mistakes every single game, and these appear to have no consequences whatsoever, which is all the more baffling when you consider he doesn't exactly light up the game to compensate for his errors.

I have never really agreed with the saying that it's harder to lose your Ireland jersey than earn it, but it does appear to be true in the case of Carbery.

this +1

ehh........youre kinda reinforcing my point? carbery gets straight back into the team without earning it

No, that wasn't my insinuation. Only the first part of that sentence was.

Carbery was a sensation when he got his first chance at Leinster. He got his chance and he took it with both hands. That is what no one else has been able to do since then. No one.

He hasn't maintained that level of performance but it got his foot in the door. He has maintained his place because he's playing reasonably well and there is no one to challenge him.

The others had two years to displace him and no one came close.

carbery gets straight back into the team without earning it

Carbery gets straight back into the team because no one takes their chances while he's gone. Ben Healy sure as hell didn't.

i mean, thats simply not true but okay. the wasps home game this season never happened obviously........(and even at that, i thought it was a bit harsh for healy to go straight in at 10 when crowley did fairly well against castres)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Shehal

Except Healy and Crowley have a massive handicap of playing in the current Munster set up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Some very wild and weird revisionism happening here.

In Joey carberys first proper season he started 11 games at 10 and 6 at full back.

The following season he started 3 Ireland games at 10 despite playing more at full back for Leinster, due to Ross Byrne's emergence. He himself wants to be an outhalf, he's stated so many times.

The IRFU had absolutely ZERO to do with him in the 22 shirt in Leinsters HC and play off games that season. Zero, none, zilch, and to suggest so is simply showing some kind of weird agenda. He was in the 22 shirt purely and simply (and clearly obviously) because Ross byrne covers one position from the bench whereas Joey covers 2 to a high degree. Hell, he was Irelands 22 for the whole six Nations that year.

The choice was simple for Joey. If he wanted to fight for the Ireland out half shirt he would have to move, and the IRFU (through Joe Schmidt) suggested a move to Munster. Joey wasn't ousting jonny, and Munster were pinballing between a permainjured bleyendall and keatley so there was an obvious door open

• Advertisement

The IRFU had absolutely ZERO to do with him in the 22 shirt in Leinsters HC and play off games that season - its been confirmed a number of times that this isnt the case, im pretty sure either rob kearney or schmidt (or maybe even both) said it in their book(s). leinster had RB as their second choice 10 in euro all year and suddenly hes not in the squad come the knockout games? cmon, it has to be obvious to even the most diehard supporter of carbery at 10......

and the versatility thing doesnt really hold up too well either tbh seeing as most leinster squads at the time were stacked with 15s - QF nacewa, lowe SF and final nacewa, larmour, henshaw (at a push) - so they were well covered since nacewa by himself basically covered the whole backline

and byrne covers centre too, either himself or by moving sexton to 12

there was union meddling going on

Joey wasn't ousting jonny - it was even further than that though, leinster knew he and they were much better served with JC at 15. ive seen almost nothing for munster to suggest that cullen and lancaster were incorrect in this view

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My memory is maybe wrong, but my recollection is that Carbery was very reluctant to leave Leinster. The IRFU and Schmidt actually wanted him to go to Ulster, but he didn't want to move north (Ulster were a mess at the time), and so ended up in Munster.

My own memory could be way off here too, but wasn’t there some vague suggestion that, after declining Ulster, Carbery himself casually suggested Munster and it was facilitated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree with this. Burns is a good player, however, he doesn't take the place kicks! This could be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Well, it looks like Carberry is the heir to the throne. I wouldn't think he's going to hold it for long, mind. He's not very good! He wouldn't get a glance if he was English.

Our other out half are bang average at best. The one lad I think can get to the requirements needed is Healy. It's troubling that our 10's cannot raise their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It'll be interesting to see if the new Munster regime are willing to drop Carbery if he's muck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

At the risk of controversy Ill say that I thought Carbery played fairly well in NZ. I know he didn't start and the first test was not very impressive (that tackle) but particularly in the third test he did fairly well. Several of his moments could just as easily have come playing at 15 and he never gave the impression that he was ready to really take a game to the ABs from the kick off but I was left thinking that he'll come home from NZ in a much better state of mind and with some confidence. Regardless he is still the default #2 but I really hope he progresses or we will be having this same conversation for another year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

ross byrne is the next best in line whether people like it or not.

He just not. He's a human lamp post. He takes the ball way too deep and there's no forward movement from him whatsoever. He get's an armchair ride in 90% of his games so it isn't exposed much but it's clearly there. As a Leinster fan I really hope he isn't Sextons successor after next season. He came on and knocked on 3 times from 3 touches in the H Cup final. I'd take Burns over him any day. Burns actually had a pretty good Autumn in 2020 before Wales happened.

They'll drop him when he's no longer the best option available to them. The previous regime would have done the same.

• Advertisement

We're gonna win the World Cup.

Advertisement