Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

But why? How does it impact on the security of the flights or the employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It's the final check/barrier between public area and airside. A smuggler or terrorist or whatever would benefit from photos or videos of that exact area to work out a strategy to get through. Seems a pretty obvious, low impact, reasonable restriction to have.

Seems like an over reaction. If a video or picture gives a terrorist an edge in getting past security i would not have much faith in the standard of security. I have not been called out on this at other airports, including the US.

It is not a huge imposition I agree but it is annoying that you cannot use that dead waiting time (only slow due to DAA poor planning, design or over staffing) for some productive use.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Also cameras/photos could be used to identify staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

It seems like an overreaction alright but that's the whole point of airport rules generally. They're not for the average Joe Bloggs with his phone out sending an email.

Likewise, getting swabbed randomly for explosives isn't for Jim heading away on a golfing holiday. But at some point, the rules to deter a one in a million chance, need to apply to everyone in order to be effective.

If one has their phone out, then everyone has their phone out, because its no big deal. Then, completely hypothetical, you've two or three lads seperate to each other in a general queue whatsapping each other what machine just had a random swab (thereby reducing the odds of a random swab a few mins later, and baddie A with whatever on him heads to that one)

Given no airport in the world wants to be "the one" to take the hit on that, and all the other procedures we've to go through at an airport anyway, going without the phone for a bit isn't too unreasonable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You also have people fecklessly looking at their phones right up to the security belt itself. A few seconds putting it away mounts up to longer delays.

Its a way to get people to pay attention to the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The only overreaction here is the whinging about being asked to put your phone away for 10-20 minutes

It's not a big deal and I will of course comply but the fact it is inconsistently enforced around the world makes me question it's effectiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

most likely its part of a checklist that when followed help to reduce the chances of bad things happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Had best ever experience through Dublin today. Arrived at the door of T1 at 12.54pm and was through security at 12.57pm. Check in areas looked busy but walked straight through, scanned boarding card and straight up to a belt with ine other person packing the tray beside me. The other 2 bays were free. Airport was busy after security but security itself a breeze. Plenty if staff around the airport too and very organised. Was impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is it really 11 months since I started this thread? Blimey. So i'm flying out on friday morning. Am I safe to say that the chaos is over now and that arriving 2 hours before my flight should be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Taking a 06:15 flight on Monday morning, what time do you think would be best for me to arrive at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭rogber

Anyone there today, business as usual or new year's chaos?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

It would be nice to have an update from frequent travellers. In particular, what can Easter travellers expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Out from Dublin last week no issues on a busy Friday morning toilets and facilities a lot cleaner and security queues much better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Unless someone is a qualified fortune-teller, nobody is going to be able to predict with certainty what Easter weekend will be like.

There are far too many variables, and all it takes is one thing to go wrong for delays to build up.

From my recent visits to the airport they certainly seem to have the whole thing under control, but I presume it's a fairly delicate balance, I would still never try to time my arrival at the airport to the bare minimum, no matter how many people told me it'd be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No need. The security times Twitter account mentioned here is still running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

In my experience recently, the T1 security times are overestimated. T2 is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Ryanair said arrive 3 hours early for a flight tomorrow. Is there anything in particular happening or is it just being cautious for Easter?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Last few weekends there have been blocks by racist morons going into the airport, I’d say that could be it. Or just busy for Easter

• Advertisement
Advertisement