Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Why the scare quotes around "insult". You don't regard calling someone a dose as an insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I put in in quotes because it's the only insult you care about. Someone above said Joyce's way of speaking is annoying. That's an insult. You have a problem with that?

Well if you can't be arsed reading what I've already stated, I can't be arsed answering your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

It really seems like you’re actively trying to miss the point, Pussyhands.

If you say you don’t like the way a presenter uses pauses regularly when talking, that’s a criticism of their presenting skills/techniques. It’s not an insult.

Calling someone names quite obviously is an insult.

Nope.

The point they were making is women get insulted more. No factual basis for this. The two most insulted presenters in this country are both men.

• Advertisement

Got any evidence for that? At all?

Nope.

Meanwhile, I just skimmed the last five pages of this thread:

7177 - Brianna Parkins - Not a great radio host though

7192 - Ian Dempsey & Mario Rosenstock - going through the motions, doesn't care anymore/unfunny

7224 - Jennifer Gannon - Unsufferable and full of nonsense

7225 - Jennifer Gannon - Shes best left to reviewing Love Island anything else is beyond her

7226 - Jennifer Gannon - Aside from the fact that she talks utter drivel, I cannot abide the way she speaks... Absolutely dreadful, possibly the worst voice on radio - and that's some achievement in itself as there's a few bad ones.

7235 - Jessica Maciel - Jesus Jessica Masciel is a hard listen, also feels like she's never off the radio.

7236 - Jessica Maciel - Her accent is irritating as hell

7258 - Jessica Maciel - she is beyond bad tbh she's the same as many new era presenters they are a robot programmed to talk nonsense and play the 10 songs over and over and they think Adel and one direction are cool

7286 - Jenny Greene - Jenny Greene was bad enough on her own

7309 - Pamela Joyce - She's an absolute dose.

Ten posts. Nine with insults/abuse directed towards female presenters, one directed towards male presenters. You could make the case that #7192 is criticism, and you could make the case #7226 is criticism, too, I guess, which would make it 8-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I imagine PussyHands was referring to the dedicated lengthy threads on this forum to the male presenters he mentioned. Considering that Today FM has a significant number of female presenters/contributors across the schedule I don't think its unusual that this particular thread may appear to be heavily critical of female presenters.

But you told me saying someone is a bad presenter is not an insult? Make your mind up!

And new presenters are going to be met with more comments than someone like dempsey ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Are there any Today FM presenters that people actually like? Rather than just being negative about them, who are the ones you actually enjoy. For me:

Ian Dempsey - the best of the lot and no surprise he's an actual radio presenter as opposed to a "content creator"

Matt Cooper - I like Matt. Seems a nice guy. However, I do understand people's annoyance with the direction his show has gone in recent years.

Dermot and Dave - They have a good chemistry, and can be genuinely funny at times. However, I do get annoyed by the fake laughter and the huge number of interview repeats (most likely not their decision)

Ed Smith - Seems like a good guy. Easy to listen to, plays great music and is knowledgeable about it.

Dec Pierce - Plays some absolute bangers and likes his sport.

Alison Curtis - I am not part of her target audience, however I have heard her show on occasion in the car and she is good and seems genuinely enthusiastic about her job/show.

Claire Beck - Very good presenter and avoids the "content creator" nonsense.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. A couple of us have pointed out the difference between criticism and abuse, you don't seem to get it. I've just shown you the level of abuse (as opposed to criticism) that female presenters get, compared to male. Between 8 and 9 times as much.

Your second point makes no sense. There's plenty of discussion of Iano, Mario Rosenstock, Dec Pierce, Matt Cooper, Ed Smith, Claire Beck, Cathal Funge, and other long-standing presenters over those same five pages. No abuse, though. And Joyce, Maciel, Greene and even Gannon are hardly "new" presenters.

"Ffs"

• Advertisement

If you want to believe women are always the victim, you do you 😊

Weekday: 5 male presenters, 2 female

Saturdays: 2 male presenters, 3 female

Sundays: 1 male presenter, 5 female

Total: 8 male-presented shows, 10 female.

Yet 8 or 9 times more abusive posts about female presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd largely agree with these aside from Alison Curtis. I'm sure she's a sound person but her voice, her laugh, etc, its not my cuppa. I think its a fairly basic requirement but if you work in radio presenting - your voice needs to be really very good and appeal to a wide audience. There's too many on radio with irritating voices/accents/dictation and Alison is one of them. For balance, Matt Cooper and his current stand-in Ian Guider are 2 more.

I also like Ray Foley and his sidekick JP. They're fun, the show is generally a good listen. Whenever there is someone standing in for him its never the same and I'm more inclined to tune out.

I'm a big fan of Ed Smith (I hate that he was moved to a later slot) and Dec Pierce is brilliant at what he does too - he's managed to create a great niche for himself on the station when he could have coasted along doing filler-in's.

100% agree with your selection, the exception being Ian Dempsey (nothing against him at all, it's purely because I don't tune in that early - I like to get news/current affairs if I am listening to the radio), and I'd add Pamela Joyce in, too - I enjoy the first half of her show, miss the second cos I'm getting lunch or exercise.

You: States an opinion as fact.

Me: Shows you actual evidence your opinion is incorrect.

You: "If you want to believe that..."

How are you on climate change or US Presidential elections? (That's purely a rhetorical question, I think we've established by now what we're dealing with.)

Stop looking for likes from others with your "rhetorical questions".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Careful...complaining about a female radio presenter's voice/laugh, that's a paddling.

FWIW, Pamela Joyce is grand, far better than Muireann who used to do similar. Fergal D'Arcy, is/was a tool, thank god he's gone. Does that count as abuse? D&D I would also classify as doses, the pair of them. Automatic switch off radio time if they are on.

Do I get a free go to slag a female DJ now, or how does this scorecard work? Can I bookmark this and come back to it in a few weeks/months if required? I need some clarification on the rules here, getting lost in a sea of eternal persecution...

Fergal D'Arcy getting abuse? Well that's a first! Or maybe D'Arcy got his balls chopped off and that counts as female abuse now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You must have read my mind with all your choices!! Really well put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For reasons unknown the radio section prides itself as being as harsh and savage as After Hours. Probably some Live Line effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

So, who is currently involved with Today FM that has had previous involvement with pirate radio? The names I have come up with are: Ian Dempsey, Alison Curtis, Claire Beck, Ray Foley, Dec Pierce and (mainly behind the scenes as Assistant Controller of Programmes) John Caddell. So, still a few there, even after all the changes it has been through (Ray Foley returned after a number of years absence of course.) I'm not sure if there are any more.

I see a lot of complaints on here about ‘content creator’ presenters.

What’s a ‘content creator’ presenter as opposed to a standard radio presenter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Someone who worked their way up from radio courses, pirate radio, tea boy at a radio station, through the producer role, runner, traffic report reading, weekend show etc. Those are standard radio presenters.

Someone with thousands of social media followers, podcast listeners, YouTube subscribers etc before they've ever set foot in a radio studio and wouldn't know one end of a mixing desk from the other would be a content creator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭TheBMG

So long as their content is good does it really matter what their work history is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was wondering why there was so many comments on this thread since I last looked at it.

Is calling somebody "a dose" now classed as abuse? Mad Ted.

The only Today FM presenters who don't make me instantly turn over from the station are Ian Dempsey, Pamela Joyce, Ray Foley, Ed Smyth, Claire Beck And Dec Pierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Has the cash machine been moved to just once a week now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

They're probably trialling it to see if it's as lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Thought as much, I was thinking they may have had a drop off in daily texters.

But Ian Dempsey, Claire Beck and Ed Smith all get called actual radio presenters.

As far as I’m aware, nobody on Today FM fits that “content creator” criteria. They all worked their way up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,263 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably a mix of format fatigue and lots of people being on holidays. Builders holidays particularly, albeit they've ended now

Advertisement