Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabina Higgins Letter to Irish Times calling for ceasefire on Ukraine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I wonder if Michael Martin and Bojo had a quiet chat after David Trimble's funeral.

Cos it's interesting that the soundings he is making are in line with some recent opinion pieces in the UK establishment press, the Mail and the Guardian (if you don't think the Guardian is part of the UK establishment, at least as regards its more mature commenters, you're naive). See Simon Jenkins piece in the Guardian and Stephen Glover's in the Mail. Very much pushing the 'Ukraine will have to accept a peace deal' line.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11078565/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Corbyn-charge-Russian-flag-fly-Kyiv.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/03/taiwan-nancy-pelosi-visit-ukraine-us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Simon Jenkins would have surrendered on the day of the invasion. There is a lot of sympathy in the left wing Guardian for Russia/USSR (I read it every day for a different point of view). On the 29th July he said the sanctions are backfiring and Putin is stronger than ever, a Yale study suggests the sanctions are having a strong effect on the Russian economy.

20th June: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/20/boris-johnson-volodymyr-zelenskiy-phone-call-kyiv-aid

Johnson calls Zelenskiy whenever he has a problem and the bill is mounting apparently.

11th March: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/11/russia-sanctions-boris-johnson-vladimir-putin-ukraine

Britain's economic war against Russia is pointless.

etc, etc

He has been like that the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

I suggest that all at the Arus were in on it - ie especially MDH and most senior staff. Why am I saying this. The Arus website is a very very serious conveyance mechanism to communicate with the public at large and it’s contents are therefor available to domestic and international audiences. So there must be very tight rules governing what goes on it - eg information going on it has to be run by more than likely the president but most especially the most senior staff. I would also expect that Information being put up on the site has to be done by a dedicated staff member and not by anyone else - maybe except for the president - in case the ‘ First Lady - goes rogue, is not feeling well , etc. it beggars belief that Sabina herself can rock up with anything she likes go to her computer and and I put said statement and the first Ml D and all Arus staff members hear about it is when they open their computers to see what is the latest on the ARus web site. COMEON

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have to wonder how many folks have ever looked at the Aras website until very recently. We know the barely heard of clown Politicians (Apart from one, for ALL the wrong reasons) hadn't even bothered to check the site, caught out Rapid when it was pointed out to them Sabina Higgins had a personal section on it since 2014.

There's valid concerns over the letter (Albeit not in the least unreasonable) being placed anywhere on the official website of the President of Ireland and I accept that, even though it was up on the site for a fleeting moment.

But as I've said, She's addressed the matter most elegantly, some fantastic reactions to her "Clarification" elsewhere, Certain politician's gone suddenly, sheepishly quite & Barely a mention of MM & LV convenient silence throughout this sordid witch hunt, which of course was directed at the president for his own excellent speech recently.

Finally this utter nonsense, that this story fed any propaganda machine has been refuted by BBC monitoring, invited onto RTE"s Drive Time, the same program two FG senators made eejits of themselves, Barely a whisper about this none story in Russia, websites of Media.

It's been a preposterous, disgraceful week & a bit in Irish politics, exposed for what it was.

I leave it with this from Twitter

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The leaders of France, Germany and Italy are Kremlin lickspittles?

Okay.

• Advertisement

Good try Dempo, but you really need to face up to the fact that no matter how much spittle you may lick, there's still no way that Stumpy is going to appoint you to the Council of State.

Decent slap on the wrist for Dame Edna in today's Irish Times editorial. Probably about as far as they could go without risking upsetting Mighty Mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A subheading in a Jenkins article from 2014:

"The downing of flight MH17 was clearly an accident. This tragedy should not be used as an excuse to punish Russia."

The man is a f*cking creep and there's probably kompromat on him to consistently publish such garbage. And more fool to the Guardian board to allow him stay and peddle it.

I think this thread has jumped the shark.

Ireland isn't even in NATO but rando forum posters are now accusing the leaders of Europe's biggest countries of being in Putin's pocket because they've raised the possibility of a compromise peace.

Perhaps now isn't the time for a ceasefire but lads calm down, as Zelensky will absolutely accept a ceasefire *if and when it suits him to do so*.

If that happens will posters here be like "It's 1943 and Zelensky has surrendered!!"

No of course not, they will just accept it.

Too Funny, but amusing deflection all the same, thanks for the giggle, enjoyed it almost as much as certain politicians Squirming.

Delighted this Hatchet Job is being exposed for what it is, Time to move on, it's Over but Not forgotten 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,718 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There's valid concerns over the letter (Albeit not in the least unreasonable) being placed anywhere on the official website of the President of Ireland and I accept that, even though it was up on the site for a fleeting moment.

So you accept that she was wrong to post the letter on the website, but yet here you are still defending her, like an edgelord because you want to give a finger to FF/FG?

All the while Ukraine is fighting for its survival?

I think it shows a lot about your character to be honest.

Again, you seem to take some relish in this situation.

I suppose to you this is all that matters... while again ill repeat people are dying trying to save their country from being enslaved.

Glad the situation there amuses you Dempo.

No amusement at all @markodaly , Disgust at the absurd carry on, but time to move on, it's Done, Dusted, over, thankfully but NOT forgotten.

I'm not naive enough not to accept Justified questions of a Tiny error re the Aras Website, but the rather silly Kerfuffle, balderdash & codswallop from unheard of Senators (apart from the one we both know of 😉) embarrassing, they've clearly never viewed the Aras website before jumping head first without a paddle to make eejits of themselves.

#donedustedover

No amusement at all @markodaly 

Then why did you use the word 'amusing' and 'too funny' in your recent posts on the matter.

You might fool yourself, but wont fool ol' Marko over here.

We all know what you are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@Dempo1 Barely a mention of MM & LV convenient silence throughout this sordid witch hunt

MM and LV, the serving and ex-and-next Taoiseachs have more respect for protocol and the dignity of the President's office than his wife does.

Unlike her they recognise that these matters are better not aired in public.

Nice try though.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

@markodaly, Amusement at the Embarrassing farce of it all 😉

Amusement at the Embarrassing farce of it al

Which goes back to my previous point that so long as you get a chuckle out of this yourself, you're ok. No thoughts at all for those in Ukraine fighting for their lives or their country. Says a lot about your character, but glad now everyone is aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

"Dempo" has adopted the time honoured Trumpist forum tactic of "when trying to defend the indefensible, throw enough **** at the wall and hope others get bored and stop posting".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Also the fact London is nicknamed londongrad because of the amount of Russian oil money in property there.

Not to mention the money they have in Ireland and the Irish government practically vetoed a stay on putin and other oligarchs monies.

Ms. Higgins appealed for a ceasefire on humanitarian grounds. Thats it. The consequences or inferences are another matter.

@markodaly happy to keep this up all day but my points have been made , sorry you disagree albeit predictable, it is what it is , Done, Dusted, Over 😏

• Advertisement

Scholz and particularly Macron have continually prostrated themselves at the feet of Putin, blowing up his ego to planet size, just as Putin wants.

Putin laughs at them.

The biggest problem western liberal democracy faces now is those who are entrusted with protecting it are not serious about doing so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ms. Higgins appealed for a ceasefire on humanitarian grounds. Thats it. The consequences or inferences are another matter.

There is nothing humanitarian about allowing Russia to continue their campaign of murder and forced emigration in peace.

At what point of World War II, in your view, should the Allies have sued for peace with the Nazis?

I'm asking this again as I asked you last night and you didn't answer.

@Snooker Loopy it's been a 147 break for Sabina and the president, no doubt you'll enjoy the analogy.

"What "Dempo" has adopted the time honoured Trumpist forum tactic " means escapes me 🤔

Is that a description used to describe someone who disagrees with you or perhaps has a different take on the shenanigans that occurred over the past week or so 🤔 rather odd that but whatever 🙄

I don't think the Allies should have sued for peace with the Nazis. Therefore what? The US, Britain, France etc. are not at war with Russia.

Smaller countries fighting bigger countries have to sometimes make compromises.

Finland sued for peace with the USSR and ceded territory during World War II.

Well if you don't think the Allies should have sued for peace with the Nazis, it makes absolutely no sense to want to sue for peace with Russia, because Putin's Russia is by a long, long, long way, the biggest threat to Europe we have seen since the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,857 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Finland was very isolated in WW2 and had no natural allies.

The main reason Ukraine doesn't even need to sue for peace (or surrender to Putin) is because it has the full backing of NATO and other western countries.

I didn't say I wanted peace with Russia.

From a self-interested pov what I would like to see is Putin totally pushed back to original borders and therefore prevented from using Ukrainian territory as a staging base to attack Europe.

However I'm not the one doing the fighting. And I recognise that Z might have to cut his losses at some point.

There is a difference between calling for total war when it's a world war and expecting Ukraine to fight to the last man when it is alone against a bigger country.

Hopefully China will think twice about invading Taiwan after all the trouble Putin has gotten.

Well said 👏 but let's not let hypocrisy get in the way 😏

I thought this Ironic this morning, a national newspaper editorial calling for peace , heaven's above ..

• Advertisement

True for the first conflict but untrue for the Continuation War where they ceded territory and which is what I'm talking about.

Finland signed the Anti-Cominten Pact and had some backing from Germany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement