Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone thinking of emigrating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I also found that some of my friends who stayed in Ireland are doing okay , but haven't been able to save as much cash as me to any degree due to the high tax and high cost nature of the state. Still they take a few foreign holidays a year so they cant be too badly off.

And partly due to the RIDICULOUS capital gains taxes on stocks and pensions 33-41% many have no or little stock investments. Almost all wealth depends on their real estate.

Wages havent kept up with the US and some European and Asian countries growth over the last five to ten years, theres a creeping devaluation of earnings also as the Euro weakens..There are some high paid jobs of course its not all bad.

Obviously as you look around there seem to be plenty of Irish still doing well but I highly suspect that is mainly an older crowd.

Cost of things like hotels and eating out are massive turn off but it seems many are willing to pay the crazy prices. Its hard to see my own country its getting so expensive now. I started to feel nostalgia for the 'bad old days'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jack Mehof

Did it 6 months ago. Turned out shite be back home before this time next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

You often find the complainers and whingers here don't change just because their surroundings have.

Professional jobs tend to pay way more in the US though.

You name it sales reps, managers IT ,medical, marketing, they often pay double Ireland's pay and income taxes are lower and very low capital gains on stocks. An ordinary sales rep in the US could easily pull in 120k but standard in Ireland is approx 60k for same level, I know I check the jobs postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

all those problems will basically be the same in the US, except they have mexicans that they dont treat as well as we treat ukranians

your problem is with foreigners not ireland, have a little think about your views on the world before you move across the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Moaning about the Ukrainian refugees all the time really isn’t a good look, mate.

He's moaning about Irish governments and the politicians... not Ukrainians themselves. He wasn't even all that subtle about it, so I'm wondering why you'd want to deflect his point on to the refugees.,

I refuse to take anyone who emphasises words with italics seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

If you're single or even married but with no kids then moving should be handy enough, but the clutch cargo thing will be if you're able to either work remotely, work where you're going, or can work online in a sort of digital nomad type role.

See what skills you have, are you IT literate? Are you able to do freelance work in marketing, web design, SEO etc. as stuff like this can generally be done from anywhere so long as you have a half decent internet connection that will stay connected for most of the day.

I think now, with a lot of places that many would have moved to previously, visas are going to be an issue.

Again, it's gonna depend on what skills you have, I think in general, most countries won't welcome you long term if you're going to be taking a job that one of their "basic" citizens can do (i.e. labourer) but they'll be more willing to accept you if you're a programmer, web designer, doctor, project manager etc.

If you have a degree then it's worth your while to do a TEFL course (not those poxy ones that show up on Groupon), have found Premier TEFL based in Cork to be quite good. If you just want out of this drab, overpriced hellhole then this could be a good option. Having a degree is important on this one though as most of the good countries that you'd like to teach in will require a degree.

Anyway, that's my suggestions to those who are possibly looking for some paths to freedom before the incoming recession absolutely savages this place. I'm hoping it'll be of some use to someone :)

• Advertisement

I'm fine with that. Just shows how closed you are to others opinions... and your attempt to deflect his post towards an outrage moment is rather telling.

If you have a degree then it's worth your while to do a TEFL course (not those poxy ones that show up on Groupon), have found Premier TEFL based in Cork to be quite good. If you just want out of this drab, overpriced hellhole then this could be a good option. Having a degree is important on this one though as most of the good countries that you'd like to teach in will require a degree.

Regarding TEFL certification, get a 120 hour course. Anything less will severely limit your options, as it's become the standard for most countries. Don't be concerned with what modules, although I'd highly recommend classroom management (large groups and special needs) and curriculum development if your course does it. If you're serious about it, getting a CELTA/DELTA is a good option (Because the focus on the US abroad), and really elevates you above most of the general TEFL crowd.

As for the degree, the general expectation is a 4 year bachelor degree in any subject, and some countries ask for a number of years experience working (2-3) in addition to it, but that can be of any field, not just teaching.

Teaching abroad is very very good. The TEFL certification is a good starter, giving you time to find a teaching role in other subjects. So, for example, my first few teaching gigs were English, but within two years, I'd moved to lecturing Business Admin at university. The TEFL jobs provide the opportunities to network because you're exposed to a lot of people through the teaching gigs, and allows some time to adjust to that particular foreign culture.

I've never regretted leaving Finance to become a teacher. It's been an absolute blast. However, do some long-term planning about your intentions and personal development. It's very easy to wake up a decade later, wondering where all the time has gone, and being limited in your job prospects. Asia, and other areas can be rather ageist, so you want to be doing more than TEFL by the time you reach 50. Still.. It's a wonderful way to experience another culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

It can be a toxic work environment over there more than here though. Long hours, on call expectations, limited holidays is what I witnessed. Very stressful.

Good man, I’m glad you’ve started to use proper formatting instead of your normal pretentious style.

That poster has a long history of slagging off Ukrainian refugees on this site, that is just the latest example of it.

The irony of him casting Ukrainians in Ireland as parasites while wondering aloud about calling over to his uncle in the US for a handout is so, so rich. It’s richer than a chocolate gateaux in a five star restaurant. With hot chocolate syrup on the side. Mmm.

Your posting about his views on Ukranian refugee polcy is irrelevant..

Whats your view on refugees in Ethiopia ? Or Liverpool vs Manchester.

NOBODY cares.

Its irrelevant. Its boring.

Yes it is work hard play hard for a lot, although not all of those positions.

You earn in one year what it would take two years in Ireland Income taxes are lower there. More job opportunities too. Living costs not so different overall Uni fees high but if you move there from ireland to work you have little student debt. Work hard at a corporate job for ten or twenty years and you can do very well there. Decide to stay or come back with money in your pocket your choice. I work for a multinational so I know the score.

IMHO living in Ireland is getting so expensive and taxes are so high you have to be on well over 100k plus for a couple to get ahead in Dublin.

Outside Dublin less is fine and its possible to live well on lower salaries due to lower accomodation costs, less than 100k per couple, but taxes are still brutal on higher earners.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

Anyone young or unattached, would be off their rocker to stay in this secomt world backwater! You'll be the one paying outrageous rents and taxes, to pay for a large cohort here, living a way higher quality of life than they would in other European countries, this better quality of life, is paid for by your much reduced quality of life.

Get the degree and get out! the quality of politician in this country is in the gutter...

I agree somewhat although pay is much lower in southern Europe remember . UK, Switzerland , Germany and Holland seem to pay well for professionals. UK and Switzerland MUCH lower taxes on high earners, UK and Germany lower cost of living too.

Income taxes to Ireland are similar in countries such as Spain but you have a vastly lower living cost and..the weather and food and cheap hotels .

I agree politicians in Ireland are largely inexperienced and unqualified for their roles, especially ministers.

Amsterdam! Beautiful place but it's not for me. If anything it solidified I like living rurally.

+ The Dutch are **** for the most part

Whereas you have a long history of doing the opposite of your #BeKind statements.

I'll leave it here as you've obviously not changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I refuse to take anyone with an edgy signature on their posts seriously.

I might be reading your comment wrong mate but are you referring to me as a whinger or other people on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I worked in six different companies over six years in America, IT contracting mainly.

I found it no more toxic, no more stressful, no longer hours, no greater on call expectations than I have in my 20+ years doing the same type of work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The only thing keeping me in Ireland is family. If I was alone I'd definitely leave.

The government's actions even on a daily basis are so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Would love to move to the US in the next few years. My wife and I have discussed it on and off for a while now, with neither of us coming out and saying “let’s do it”. I think if one of us were to grab the bill by the horns we’d be up and gone pretty quickly. We have our mortgage but no other debt on credit cards or anything like that and we live in an area where our house would probably be sold tomorrow if we listed it. We’d get probably €100k in our hand after the mortgage is taken off the sale price. Both our cars are paid for in cash and I could put in for a transfer to my company’s US headquarters so jobs won’t be an issue for either of us as the wife has a job she can do anywhere in the world. With proceeds of the house sale, sale of two cars and our savings we’d have probably €180k/€190k in our pocket if we were to move. That would take most if not all stress away initially if we were to move.

What’s holding us back? Family is the one thing. With one child, the move for us would be relatively straightforward but leaving family behind is something both of us are not exactly thrilled at the thoughts of. Both of us have lived abroad before and know the score and obviously we could always come back if it didn’t work. Ireland is our home but it’s feeling less and less like a place that we see in our long term plans.

Ireland is our home but it’s feeling less and less like a place that we see in our long term plans.

Something to consider is that settling back into Ireland (after living extensively abroad) can be quite expensive, and awkward. I've had friends who struggled to get bank accounts created because of the newer banking laws. So, when thinking about living abroad, it might be worth considering how long you're going to be abroad, and whether you want to return within a decade, two decades, etc. As time passes, your past contributions to the Irish State diminish, and you essentially become a new migrant to Ireland (even though you're Irish), but without access to all the NGOs/supports that cater to foreign migrants.

Still.. I'd say go for it. I don't think Ireland is heading in the right direction, and is going to become very expensive to live in over the long term, along with more and more nanny state regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You only see emigration as a solution because you don't know anything about the actions of governments in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

The more whingers and moaners emigrate the better.

Makes the place a lot more pleasant for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that the thought of emigrating from Ireland is to a certain extend sadly driven by the low and often poor choice of housing in the country, especially in and around Dublin.

This automatically begs the question, why should Ireland house refugees if Ireland can't even house their own?

Also, it's a different discussion and understanding if a Ukrainian already has family in Ireland with whom he or she can stay.

But if one has no family ties to Ireland, but can apparently afford a plane ticket, but expects to be housed and there is no housing available, it automatically raises certain questions. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ireland does have a housing crisis in terms of availability and prices.

Also the discussion about this subject has gotten sadly a bit liberal-left-ideological in Ireland and other opinions aren't often liked, which doesn't help the situation at all.

Even more, it's ironical, the ones coming to Ireland, demanding shelter from war, the other ones leaving, as they're not finding any perspectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Please, let us all know when you find the land of milk and honey. I was considering joining my sister in San Francisco but the thoughts of getting 1 million together for a starter home put me off slightly. Plus the health insurance. Plus the property taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jucko

from having travelled, irelands great :), what a fantastic country, 100 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whinging about moaning, so meta.

Unfortunately, these are the last people who'll emigrate. By definition, they won't do anything to improve their lot in life, otherwise they'd have done it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

How sick and disgusting is that, 2100 for rent, what the actual ****. Ireland is fucked rents should be savagely cut any outside source buying real estate for profit should be banned.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's why I'm thinking of emigrating to Australia, I'd hate to be working in America and then get very sick and be fcuked due to health insurance.

Maybe that's a good thing, that I wouldn't have the build up of knowledge of the horrible actions. You could move to another country with a clean slate.

All I see in Ireland is our country being bent over for foreign multinationals to have their way with us. The big multinationals never locked down during covid. Their construction never closed down like residential construction did.

And you're basing that on....? Yup. Nothing. And no, "by definition" doesn't work here.

Generally speaking anyone serious about living abroad (for more than a gap year) will do some research on their desired destination. I've known many expats, and they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into, before they left their home countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I can't shake the idea of going back home at some stage. A few years turned in to a decade plus change. Parents are getting older.

What can you say about the political situation over here (UK), it's madness and yet a good chunk of the populace still support them - mind bottling stuff.

Still at present, I think the quality of life is better here, the weather is definitely better (10 degrees warmer here than in Dublin yesterday), the childs school is amazing, the missus will not swap working for NHS for HSE, she'd rather pack it in. . .ah if only life decisions were simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I can guess but what in particular drove her mad about working for HSE?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

You want to emigrate because of Covid (a global pandemic) lockdowns and multinationals (clue in the name there...), where is this mythical land that escaped these twin scourges?

You'll never go anywhere chief. You have it too easy here.

I'd probably start looking at the UK firstly. In Ireland you have Dublin and then a few smaller cities that everyone squeezes into.

Galway for example is tiny and bursting at the seams yet is one of our top cities.

There's cities in the UK that if they were in Ireland they'd easily be our second best city. Sheffield for example, has a light rail system and I don't see what limerick offers that Sheffield wouldn't. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Public transport is unusable at peak times in this country. Its over capacity. I've lived in Munich for a short period and getting the metro to go around the place is so much better than using an overcrowded luas.

Most people have health insurance through their job.

Visas would be an issue for you.

Even if the company is US headquartered that doesn't mean they are willing to give you a transfer and thus an L1 visa, or sponsors you for a H1B.

It doesn't matter if your wife can work from anywhere in the world, she will need a visa to be able to work from the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

she never has, she's NHS trained. There's an over arching idea that nursing in Ireland has a lower quality of care and level of responsibility that she's not willing to give up. I'm told the stories of nurses who move back are not pleasant - even elements of bullying from the natives e.g. "leave that fancy NHS guff at the door". Granted they're all just stories to me but I've heard similar from a few of her colleagues.

As time passes, your past contributions to the Irish State diminish, and you essentially become a new migrant to Ireland (even though you're Irish), but without access to all the NGOs/supports that cater to foreign migrants.

What a load of bollix

It doesn't matter how long you have been out of the country, you are still an Irish citizen and have full rights to live and work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

got out nearly 10 years ago to the UK... I'm always pining to go home, then I realise I'd be on 20-30k less straight away, with no house, and smaller opportunities...

I honestly don't see a feasible way back at the moment.... and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

We are both US citizens. Our grandparents were born in Chicago and Boston to Irish parents, then the families both came home and settled in Cork and Waterford. Through our grandparents we both became citizens when we were younger. Interestingly enough, after 9/11 that rule was changed so if we were to go for citizenship now we wouldn’t get it. If my wife wasn’t a citizen already then she wouldn’t qualify through marriage to me and vice versa. The US really tightened up on things post 9/11.

Man says he wants to leave Ireland because of the actions of the government and their cosy relationships with big business.

First choice destination is the UK.

I mean, come on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement