Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Get it out of your head and put it to paper.

nazi Terminators ? Bonkers? :D

knights vs Terminators ? Bonkers against :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Specifically, it was a horror film set during the Battle of the Bulge; lots of snow, confusion, blurred frontlines, and a cameo from Arnie as a grizzled panzer tank commander who has to team up with what remains of Sgt Connor's team.

And to be exact, my knights idea was for Predator movies; we know from Predator 2 they visited past times and always seemed like an obvious sequel premise to bounce around eras. Hollywood seems a bit allergic to historical blockbusters ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What do you mean they're allergic? Sure we have plenty of stuff set in the 80s and 90s. 😁

But yeah, going further back to WWII to change history for the better (for Skynet) would be a good premise. Of course it will be the Americans that defeat the terminator, maybe even with Bon Jovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thanks folks.. I needed to get even more hyped for this film! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Or WWI and Predator.

Apparently it was well received at SDCC. I mean, I'm paying for D+ anyway. Will give it a go.

Actually, I wasn't gone on Predator the first time I saw it. I know. I know. But hear me out. I saw it in about 1989 on a black-and-white portable (Not kidding 😀). And was (unsurprisingly) underwhelmed. It was about a year later that I watched it again and realised what a fantastic chunk of late 80s action it was. I still think all the sequels/spin-offs had interesting ideas but were poorly implemented. So, again, the IDEA here I like. As I have sad here and elsewhere, I have no issues with a female protagonist but I do not want that to be the defining factor of the movie. I do not want to hear a "I am woman, hear me roar" either :D In the same way that I don't want to see it go down the YA path where she is caught between the forbidden love triangle of her attraction to a hot young Predator and an equally hot member of her clan (I admittedly think this is unlikely. lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Can’t trust any early Twitter impressions, they’re always super positive and generally feel like they’ve been bought by the studio.

This looks alright though. It’s Predator, so you already know pretty much how it’s going to go, which was already done perfectly in the 80s. Grand one for a Sunday afternoon on the couch though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

All the feedback keeps trotting out the same line - its the best Predator since the original. Can't it just be a good movie without relegating Danny Glover's entry. The bar isn't really set that high when it comes to the sequels anyway. I expect it to be better than most of them but Predator 2 will still remain second best.

Hasn't been released yet. Only shown at Comic Con over in the USA

but

already getting slated by IMDB reviewers .. the majority being Non-US Users:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11866324/ratings/

Rating / Users

8.1 / 21 US Users

6.2 / 38 Non-US Users

Uh huh.. gonna be one of those eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is it not going to be released in cinema's then so?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

No. There was a bit of discussion of this earlier. People were ranting about it being PG and not going to give the cinemas the business.

I had to google it to find out it's R rated and was never going to the cinemas anyway 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just looked at one of the negative reviews giving it a 3 and it just gave us a history lesson of native American women and their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Fair enough really. If there's one thing I demand from films about technologically advanced aliens arriving on earth to hunt humans for sport, it's historical accuracy

You can't tell anything from the current IMDB score

IMDB helpfully now provides a distribution of the votes these days

When it's a small number of people (under 200 at the moment) and 100 have given it a 10 then yeah - can tell precisely nothing from that.

Nevermind the fact that it's not actually out (IMDB does not usually allow for votes on movies not yet released so I don't know what the voting is open).

votes from "Top 1000 Voters" can be a better guide and there are of course none at the moment.

You'd usually want a high number of votes to counteract the spammers

Donald Clarke calling it the best US action film of the year so far and his reviews are always actually critical.

Turns out the female lead and new period in history worked pretty well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Clarke is a bit of a red rag around these parts; but even speaking as an avowed leftie I find his style and reviews tedious. Does sound like reviews are leaning towards a consensus this is a stripped-back, enjoyable take. Fingers crossed. Though if it is a success, it'll make the lack of a cinema release a shocking decision.

Yep I can agree on that but I tend to view him as a helpful gauge on what's probably gonna engage me a lot. 😂 But him favouring it is a big sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was about to post saying that the decision to release Prey on Hulu/Disney+/Star and not in theatres might be a strategic choice as opposed to a release based on the traditional 'this movie isn't good enough for theatres' approach. The industry has changed massively from the 'straight to video' days of the 80s/90s. I decided to do a quick google to see if there was any more info on the thought process and I see an interview from Trachtenberg himself that was posted yesterday.

So what’s the story with this being on Hulu only? I’m saw this in a theater and it was a great theater movie.

Yeah… I mean, look, we made it to be a big theatrical experience and on the downside, it’s not being released that way. So you can’t see in the theater, but on the upside, the thing you’re getting straight into your living room is a giant theatrical experience. It’s not like a straight video dumping ground. It’s like, “This is a real movie.”

It’s confusing because, other than studio politics, I don’t understand what was going on here?

There’s so many venues that people want people to experience their, I hate to say the word content… They want things to feel premium. Right?

Sure.

So Hulu hasn’t really had… There hasn’t been a 20th franchise baby that has come out yet. So they’re hoping to really ignite the platform to say, “We’re not just putting out the smaller, lower-budget fare. That this is also a place to have giant cinematic experiences.

Because from the outside looking in, the last one obviously didn’t do as well as people hoped. From the outside looking in, I wonder if Disney even wants to be in the Predator business? But it sounds like from what you’re saying, that they do.

It wasn’t that way. I have to tell you.

Apparently if it was released in theatres "it likely would have had to go to HBO as other 20th Century Pictures had in the past due to a prior contract that Disney has to abide by".

https://screenrant.com/prey-movie-streaming-release-no-theaters-why-reason/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I haven't really watched any trailers, but something close to Apocalypto style would be great. That was such a great film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

looking good on the REAL reviews front so far

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/prey-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I hope the Predator wins in this

623 reviews on imdb at the moment and already 21.8% (136) giving it a 1/10 when it hasn't been released yet.

Another one of these ..

Kinda glad to get a picture of how skewed some folks try to make a film like this in advance

Still hyped for the release!

Well this would be typical. The best method of attempting to get ANY semblance of a genuine review would be to ignore the 1 star and 10 star (Or whatever the max is). Do a CTRL-F for "Woke" or similar narrow-minded trigger words and ignore them too (They will probably be 1 star anyway) and THEN see what you find.

I don't like the idea of building a script around someone's gender, sexual preference/whatever if there is no need for it. I have stated before that THAT scene with all the female superheroes in Avengers Endgame is eye-gougingly cringe. Whereas the last episode of the Mandalorian was class. Everybody was badass and most just so happened to be women. Big Whoop. BUT I am not threatened by a strong female protagonist (Or antagonist) and I am not going to slam something as "Woke" without having seen the movie. It is lazy and easy and says more about the "reviewer" than the film itself. Anyway, off my high horse 😀...

Interestingly, reviews on the likes of IGN etc give it a pretty good review: More about going back to the horror angle as opposed to the action angle. As I mentioned before, I think the Predator sequel IDEAS are usually quite interesting but the execution (No pun intended) tends to be lacking. But I'm encouraged by the latest genuine reviews: Not a patch on the original but certainly doing its best to hark back to the original. I'm already paying for D+ so I'll watch it.

Well at least there'll be a release tomorrow so it won't seem so daft with what the ejits come out with... though it'll probably still sound daft 😁

I can just imagine it "Ruined my childhood, Arnie could take 5 laser blasts to the chest no problem" 😂

I presume the actress has had to leave twitter. Female AND not 100% white? In a genre movie? Here we go..... Poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You won't be able to bet Predator but better to give the movie a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,634 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One thing I have learned from all the Predator films is they aren't very good at actually being Predators since they end up losing at the end of every film.

Trusted reviewers on letterboxd have been very praiseworthy of it, as well as a few outlets I'd trust. The hype is properly spiralling now. GAH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

4 stars from Empire.

If its any bit as good as Predators Im happy.

Advertisement