Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yeah I've the same setup... large lawn to the back and smaller unconnected area to the front. Probably lift the mower to the front about 5 times a week, let it go til the charge runs out then move it back to the charging station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Raoul

Did you sign up to German Amazon prime to get the offer?

Is there a UK equivalent of shipgerman? I am looking at the landdroid offer on UK Amazon prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Sorry i didnt even notice it was a prime only offer. I had bought it few weeks ago so prime wasnt required as it was more expensive. Signing up for prime though for a month shouldnt be much. Not sure regarding uk shipping, import duty/customs would be a lot and the landroid seemed to be a lot dearer compared to germany unless there is a good offer now.

I'm looking at the smaller landroid. For German prime you need to be in Germany. And for UK Amazon I can't get the robot delivered to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Shipgerman give you a German address so that should do for prime and if for some reason Amazon won't ship to the address then you aren't really losing out.

Amazon UK won't even ship robot lawnmowers to Northern Ireland so addresspal is probably the only option and that's if they deliver items that big.

You can get the packaging dimensions for the s300/wr130e from here

https://www.leroymerlin.it/prodotti/giardino-e-terrazzo/macchine-da-giardino/robot-tagliaerba/robot-tagliaerba-worx/robot-tagliaerba-worx-landroid-s300-wr130e-batteria-litio-li-ion-20-v-82051890.html

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for your help. The fact they give you a German address might get around the fact. Now to convince the wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Buy automower with guidewires, eg. some of the Husqvarnas, take out two kerbs, clear out ground underneath, put down small amount of concrete and set kerbs on sides like ramps, so mower moves smoothly off grass to tarmac/drive, run guidewire and perimeter wire across drive, mower assumes its part of cutting area and crosses same to second lawn.

I have this done, it works perfect, no lifting, just need to watch cars on drive if mower is crossing, but 3 yrs in and no issues yet with a Husq 450X operating three guidewires to three different areas of lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Thanks for the responces, that seems reasonably straight forward. Ramping the grass down to the driveway sounds a lot easier than trying to bring the driveway up to the curb.

Do most of the units on sale now have the option of creating 'zones' or is that a high-end feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

No had the same problem last time i changed the blades so tightened them very little this time. I am buying the blades on amazon so maybe has something to do with screw quality. It has actually failed me to open them so i have it working away, and might have to try again in a week or two or worst case bring it somewhere. Screws seem to round very easy, but have even cut a line in one with a hacksaw and using a big screwdriver but could only get 1 or 2 turns on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Can't speak for all brands but I just got a Landroid and it handles 4 zones. You can set the % time it spends in each zone on average but you can't tell it to go to zone 3, for example. (I don't know if others allow this)

However it doesn't have a guide wire, like a Huskie. And because it (like all mowers really) are a bit stupid it moves to the relevant zone by following the wire in an anti-clockwise direction. So if one zone is say in the 2 o clock position, relative to base, the mower will run the entire perimeter until it gets there.

It's not the worst thing in the world but not very efficient and leaves track marks along the boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

When you say it doesnt have a guide wire, does this mean it needs a curb or fence to keep it in the area? Or is it a GPS map that stops it going offline completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Pretty much all robot mowers you can buy will use a boundary wire to set the area to be mowed. (apart from the newly/expected mowers like the Segway navimow but I don't even know if you can buy them yet).

Husqvarnas need a boundary wire to keep it in its mowing area but also has a guide wire to send it to far off areas to mow and allow it to come back to its charging station when needed, without the need to follow along the perimeter. I think some Huskies may have some GPS features to allow for smarter mowing but I don't own so can't comment.

Landroid only has a boundary wire. So it mows within that area but also gets to and from mowing areas by following that wire.

Best thing to do is watch YouTube videos on them and read through pretty much this whole thread. There are even video links throughout here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all,

My Robomow RS622 needs a new drive motor and they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I rang the main dealer and he told me they can't get them any more since robomow were bought out by Black and Decker....

Anyhow - I have it 7 years so I'm thinking of getting a new one - Husqvarna is what I'm looking at, probably the 430X as we have about half an acre that's at front side and rear of house - it's pretty steep price though.

Anything else I should be looking at ? No so sure about getting another Robomow....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No had the same problem last time i changed the blades so tightened them very little this time.

Any chance you have rounded the threads?

When you are screwing them in they should be very easy to twist and you dont tighten them at all really.... just a slight extra twist once they hit the mark.

I dont struggle getting mine opened anyway.

No so sure about getting another Robomow

For the sake of a new motor I'd get it back working. 7yrs isnt great but motors do go. If you got another 7yrs after replacing the motor it will owe you nothing. Digging deep for a new Husqvarna is alot of extra cash just becuase the motor in the Robomow is gone.... unless you think its on its last legs and needs other things like new batteries etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

This is probably the 4th or 5th motor at this point. And a new battery a few years back. New front board. New motherboard under warranty. I've put in a new screen myself I got on AliExpress (they have to be soldered in) and some other bits and pieces.There has always been something every year to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm into my third season with my Worx M1000 (Installed June bank holiday 2020) and other than a bit of a clean out and changing the blades every few months, we haven't had to do any replacing or maintenance. We have about 800m2 of lawn (we are also on half an acre but it doesn't cover the front) so maybe you'd have to go for a larger model, but I wouldn't have any issues recommending the worx. It was about half the price of the equivalent Husq when I was looking.

I recently installed a yardforce 500 (E390 delivered) out the front and a yardforce SA900ECO (E340 delivered, but amazon warehouse) in my mothers house and they are cutting fine, but im curious to see how long they last!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Hey all, interesting thread thanks!

I've just moved into a new house and excited to get an automower for the garden. Basically settled on the Husqvarna 430X based on the size and need for a couple of guide wires. I'm wondering if anybody has bought one recently and knows where is best price wise? Greetfeet.ie seems to be the cheapest I've come across.

I need a fair bit of wire by the time I do a boundary and two guide wires, probably 5-600m. Do I even bother with the genuine Husqvarna installation kits (I'd need a Large and Medium, so €500) or just go for a 500m reel of compatible wire (good link to German site above for ~€100) and a bunch of their connectors? I intend to bury the wires so I really don't need the 4 million pegs that come with the kits, or the extra cost :).

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Wire is wire from what I can see. Like a lot of companies they make huge profits on the extras

Its not really. It needs to be able to survive underground in damp conditions for years on end. Not all wire is designed for that.

Now, that doesn't mean you need to pay through the nose for OEM wire but don't put in bell wire and expect it to work flawlessly for years. The OEM wire is quite thick (both the wore and the sheath around it) and designed for the job.... so you get what you pay for. Im sure you can get a non-branded version of the OEM wire that will do fine but don't buy "any old wire".

The last thing you want is to be searching for breaks in a few years time or wondering why your mower won't go out or gets lost on the way home etc.

• Advertisement

I intend to bury the wires so I really don't need the 4 million pegs that come with the kits, or the extra cost

You need to be sure that you wont need to move it in the years ahead if you plan to bury it. It naturally buries itself over time but if you put it down an inch or two at the start it makes it much harder to move later (new beds, change in kerbs, wire put too close to a verge etc).

The wire on the german website above does not seem like dodgy stuff, excellent quality so that is what I was referring to....

Picked up a Yard Force SA900ECO cheap. Going to give it a bash on one lawn anyway and see will it last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Running the same model last few months and doing a fine job.

Mind me asking where you got it ? Looking for a second unit.

Amazon germany, just over 300 notes in the warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Finally installed my Landroid M500.. currently in process of frequently adjusting boundary wires where it struggles and finding a way to get it to cross my gravel driveway, but I guess it will be worth it in the end.

I was wondering where would I be able to get a bigger capacity battery - as it seems amazon doesn't ship them here or up North (and not just amazon).

Also are there any reliable non-Worx branded batteries that would work in order to save a few bob ?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

In the same situation, fun with the wire and just thank God I decided to peg first till I get right and then I will run under the ground. I have hedge and a few times now it's in so far it gets caught.

I bought a bigger battery from Germany and turns out it is the wrong one. See below. It won't click in and give error

I am checking with a company based in Dublin if they have options and so far have come back with a 66 euro one. I am trying to get them to confirm it will work. This is the battery I am trying to confirm will work, it has the M500 listed: https://www.batteryupgrade.com/shopBrowser.php?assortmentProductId=67374885

This is the one I got from Germany. Of course shipping it back now is huge hassle so no idea what I will do with it: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0978ZPGDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine doesn't like the slight slope and border to the road, I already moved the wire in more , but still need to go out and rescue. I think that I just need to forget about that strip of grass between fence and road or fill up with more soil and make the strip wider closer to the road ( there is very little traffic here).

Also my lawn is very spongy and thick and it likes to sometimes bury it's font wheel when the lawn is a bit bumpy and then gets trapped. Will try hanging some weight at the back and see if it improves. I think once it is finally working and without intervention I will feel great sense of accomplishment😎

Looking at the generally positive and genuine reviews , looks like you have been very unlucky with that battery - but how did you get it shipped here, it won't let me order it (or any other battery). Which I actually don't understand, as I did get a Worx strimmer with 2 batteries shipped from Amazon Germany.

That 5 Ah battery looks interesting for 66 euro. So are you trying to get that battery locally somewhere for the same price ? The webshop seems to be from Holland.. I may browse through some Dutch Landroid forums and see if there any experiences with these batteries.

Please let me know how you get on if you decide to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I have bought the spikes from Germany to put onto the wheels, I knew I should have got in first place. They ship direct and like you, I have some bumps etc and it can get stuck. I hope this can help based on reviews on web

On the battery I got it shipped with Shipgerman at the same time as the mower. I never checked the spec correctly so my own fault. It will work in other Worx items but not the m500.

The shipment of batteries seems to have been locked down recently, at one stage a few weeks back I could order those batteries direct from Amazon Germany and then next day it was all shut down.

The battery from the website, I actually thought that was Irish company, they ship to Ireland anyway so that's not a problem.

• Advertisement

Well, I would be a bit wary of that company. Trustpilot reviews are mixed to say the least.

They basically have a website in every country they do business with (not in).. one of the main gripes seems to be that they (as stated on the website) can ship from Holland or Hong Kong. People's experiences are when shipping from HK you get stung with import duties.

This is "buried" in their T&Cs : 7.3 The consumer is responsible for extra costs resulting from the delivery of goods, like additional postal fees or import duties

Also lot of stories of on stuff not arriving, not great response times to emails etc.

If the battery wouldn't work, you would have same problem as with Amazon- no way to send it back.

Apologies for getting slightly off-topic. Hopefully there are easier ways of getting larger batteries here. If all else fails I will simply buy one next time I am on the continent or mainland UK.

Advertisement