Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m afraid I still don’t understand what that has to do with this thread, or the context in which you are asking it. Would that not be better directed toward social services or the HSE? Certainly if the State is going to provide accommodation, then that is another example of how the State is competing with working people trying to buy a home, but I don’t see how they could be criticised for that. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Your insufferable idea is that if everyone was savvy like you and your kids they'd emigrate and come back with a deposit.

The fact you cannot comprehend my point proves my point. Your view is among the most myopic, smug, solipsistic and selfish I have ever come across on boards.

At the risk of blunting your point, we had both third level fees, and accommodation fees. “Free” third level came in after I left college. So adding those two together probably brought students a fair way toward the adjusted cost of accommodation today.

Recent history has shown that large property projects overseen by the Government have been calamitous . Asking the Government to become the biggest residential landlord in the State, and expecting the income to cover costs can only be seen as an impending and ongoing disaster. Do you see a time when he State would routinely evict a non paying or errant tenant in affordable housing? Or maybe you think the Government should become the States largest property developer and sell the houses? If you expect profit which reduces our national debt, then the properties must be sold at a price higher than the build cost. If private developers say they struggle to do that, how the fuuck do you expect the Government to, after they pay those private contractors to build them?

What point are you making about mentally disabled people, and what has it got to do with this thread on the property market? Are you saying they cannot afford to buy, or that the State should be providing it?

If you want an answer, at least ask a question.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The argument here is predictably reductive, insinuating that making housing affordable is easy, and the government are just not doing it cause they don't want to. This is complete and utter rubbish.

The fact that is continually overlooked here, where heads suddenly find their way into the sand as fast as possible, is that it's not easy at all and that no matter what the government do there is unwanted negative consequences (though no doubt no matter what they do, it will be wrong, as that appears to be your default position on literally everything).

There is a realistic max housing output this country can achieve, we're probably at it. It is a zero-sum game. This notion that the government can just decide that now housing will be cheap, and there'll be no consequences for this, is genuinely stupid. The idea that they can just magic up a bunch of housing, and sell it cheap, and there be no consequences for it is fairy tale magic money tree stuff.

If you want to build more social / affordable housing, then you need to divert resources to do it, and so other sectors of the market will reduce their output. I will give you one guess what this does to prices.

The notion that house prices are just the fault of the government is playground stuff. Nobody is willing to look at the uncomfortable fact that the market is the market, the government doesn't run the market, they're just another player in it, and they do not have a magic wand to solve all the problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

We need to look at ways to increase the output (supply) or to cut the number of people looking to buy and rent houses in the country (demand)

Prices will naturally adjust accordingly

But yet still while housing estates don't even come to market as they are bought as one piece by vulture funds. Funds that previous governments went out of their way to entice I to the country by offering tax breaks and

Max output is one thing- who is buying what is built is the other

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not 'taboo' - it's banned outright. Read the warnings in post 1 as the thread title tells you to. Do not reply to moderation instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not all the people renting were on jobbridge, zero hour or temporary contracts etc. Most made choice's. Even now you could buy houses for sub 150k within travelling distance of most cities except Dublin. But people choose not to make those choices.

Traditionally if you lived in Dublin you never needed to emigrate or migrate to elsewhere. This was not a choice in the rest of the country especially in smaller urban and rural areas. Therefore people accept this reality easier. If they need to move for work or fora place to buy a house they make this choice.

People make choices even not making a decision is a choice.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Let FF and FG regroup? What would change? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again…

I think that would be their viewpoint, let SF in there, show everyone that all these promises they are making are hopelessly undeliverable, and regroup in opposition.

Like you I think, none of the parties will be able to solve the housing crisis as many of the contributing factors are outside their control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Dav I was with you all the way but at this point I am going to be voting Sinn Fein which I have never done before as something has to change.

Its a damning indictment of the Irish political sphere that for the last 2 decades parties are voted in on promises without any repercussions and try to garner votes by spouting about helping out everyone or basically trying to stay in the middle of the political spectrum and yet over the last 2 decades they always pander to vested interest groups from both the left and the right and those in the middle are the ones continually squeezed. We need some change in politics our government politicians trying to get elected should be told to cut the crap and give us your 10 top issues your going to change, implement or take out with full costings (and a full discussion of any unforeseen consequences & moral hazards for the rest of the public that any of those issues) will bring in or take away from our finances and then within their time in government (no point in asking them for any more than 10 as what is happening is they pander to every denominator to get elected locally then again to get elected to govern and these 2 systems of election often come with conflicts of interests for example a policy of say building a new hospital in Leitrim maybe good for Leitrim but it is not good for the rest of the country and vice versa) and then when in power they usually find the perma-government are the ones in real power and these lads are very hard to move along with progress) 10% of a government members pension should be given if they actually implement one of the points they are voted in on if they don't do the other 9 points then they should of worked harder or not promised to get the other 9 done and they should not get the other 90%. More stick as our political classes are up to their eyes with carrots and that really needs a C-change. We don't have a democracy we have a system of allowing liars who don't have any repercussions they have power and a nice salary with lots of perks for a bit of time then they walk off in to the sunset with a huge pension. Sure why would you be bothered when your on easy street no matter how good, bad or ugly you are at your job.

Have to agree with all that, I have no political affiliation, unfortunately I think they are all next to useless and it’s the civil servants that keep them in the lane when it comes to any of the more progressive policy decisions. The current governments intervention in the rental sector has been catastrophic, but SF proposals go even further and if enacted will make matters even worse, particularly the removal of the option to terminate a tenancy if the LL wants to sell. There will be an avalanche of termination notices if that sees the light of day.

SF saying they will solve the housing crisis is like some posters on here pinning the blame on politicians for the price of property, it’s idiotic. There are too many factors outside of a Governments control which contribute to people in high paying jobs being able to pay more than those in average paying jobs for a limited resource. SF will not be able to magically build hundreds of thousands of houses, and will not have the money to do so without either increasing taxes or plunging the country further into debt by borrowing tens of billions. SF also will have an eye on the possibility of a reunification vote, and where they are going to get the 10+ billion per year it costs the UK government to keep services in the 6 counties running.

I feel sorry for those pinning their hopes of getting a house on a change of government, it’s the hope that kills you.

I think when all costs and incomes are taken into account I think most experts agree that reunification will cost more like 4 Billion odd (a large chunk of change to find annually). But that is a case in point the lads who would consider themselves nationalists and hear Sinn Fein and United Ireland in our lifetime and will vote Sinn Fein in should be told how much extra they will be paying for this from an increase in taxation on their wage.

The costs today would be different to the costs a year ago, and the figures fluctuate depending on who pays for the research. 10 is the midpoint of what I have seen, 15 and 5. But irrespective of which one it is, the affect on SFs policies will be that they will need to be able to show that the Irish State can afford it. That’s a tough ask if you are committing billions each year to housing on top of all the other promises they have/will make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I'm very much aware that there is no magic wand to solve all the problems, however there is something very strange going on when our hotels are filling up with families and our homes are filling up with tourists.

Ive asked you on a number of occasions to name one government policy that did not have an inflationary effect on house prices/rents, I don't recall any answer

The current system of the private market catering for possibly the top 20% of income earners, with the rest paying much higher rents than what a equivalent mortgage would build is completely unsustainable and will require a forest of money trees. Anyone that does not accept this has there head in the sand mixed with water and cement and left settle for a few hours

I'd question whether construction is at capacity, given the threats by the industry to cease projects if more taxpayer funding was not forthcoming plus the anecdotal tales of projects been cancelled/suspended by customers. The industry has the taxpayer over a barrel. Its time to put in place plans to call there bluff and have projects ready to go.

Could government work with our corporates to see if together they can provide housing for their employees. Many are trying to get there ESG scores up, so their are potential supply side solutions there that benefit all parties

Can nothing be done to deter deriliction, pedestrians have been killed in our 2nd city from falling debris from a derelict building

Can we not copy and paste the NI model for compliance which works is accountable and is a fraction of the cost. Why is there so much unnesecary white collar grab in the price of a home largely built by trained competent blue collar workers.

For government to get any kudos, they must first stop making the situation worse and BEGIN with policies that address supply

You emphasise my point of property being a parasite on the economy very well. The free third level education paid for by the taxpayer is swallowed up by the property sector in increased rents. Thanks for making that point more clearly than I ever could. When you paid fees and accomodation costs, that money stayed in Ireland funded our colleges and your rent was taxed and recycled within the economy. Today the rent potentially leaves the country untaxed

Who would have thought that Canadian teachers pension funds would have been the ultimate beneficiary of free third level fees in Ireland. Well done FFG

Building homes are not a large scale project. We have a branch of the state, Revenue, that are extremely efficient at collecting monies owed. I would be against the state selling homes, these would be a state asset that benefit multiple citizens and the taxpayer through reduced costs or profit that could be reinvested to build more rather than being a partial gift to a specific citizen

Post edited by Villa05 on

Jesus wept, you completely missed the point, there is a 35 yr time difference, of course rents have gone up since the late 80s/early 90s, if fees still had be paid and adjusted for inflation, students would be paying just under €6k year. My point was that it cost as much then to send students to third level as we had both college fees and rental fees.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

On the rental market, who are these types of properties/prices aimed at ?

Will cost someone 180K a year to rent, renting this place for 5 1/2 years will cost you 1 million. Which is probably what it would cost you to buy the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

Genuine question: why do we depend so much on developers to build houses?

Can cities/villages not create estates by just designing the plots, bring electricity/sewage/water and sell them to people to build their house?

People would, of course, need planing permission to make sure they don’t build crazy houses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Usually at corporates/high level execs who will be in Dublin for a year or so and don’t want to buy a property.

• Advertisement

Interesting, wouldn't have thought there would be many companies willing to fork out that much money for rent. But then again, all of that will be tax deductible for corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

1 million for that? No chance. Closer to 3 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

it's incredible how badly the government have handled this situation. According to the Sunday times...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/garda-vetting-holds-up-homes-for-refugees-bzwmg3p90

The hold-up with garda vetting has effectively rendered more than 4,000 properties unusable to these families. The Irish Red Cross (IRC) says fewer than 3,000 war-displaced Ukrainians are living in accommodation pledged by the Irish public even though 10,000 homes have been approved for use

There's an 8 months pregnant woman being sent to city West to sleep on the floor while 4,000 pledged houses cannot be used. What is wrong with this country?

Maybe a bit like the Republicans in Texas have been doing, send some of these people to the politicians homes (those that made the call to have unlimited people come in without proper accommodation in place)

Heard a report that Irish water is telling the builders who are currently building near ringsend at the old bottle factory that they will not have a proper pump in place for water supply for 6 years :) Ireland only we could create a company like this that takes 6 years for a pump incredible.

So SF/Eoin O’Broin wants the Government to reintroduce a ban on evictions, on top of SF’s stance that if elected, they would remove owner sale as a legal reason for ending a tenancy.

Surely someone explained to this jackass that when he says things like that, more owners get spooked and decide that there will never be a better time to exit the rental market.

And these are the clowns people expect to sort the housing crisis.

It's a bit of a shambles. Policy after policy stoking demand and the government and their agencies unable to provide basic services to enable supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

The missus had a place before we met n has it rented out. She has it rented cheap n never hears from them as a result. I'm sick of saying to her to flog it before anymore anti landlord crap comes in.

We had a similar scenario in the noughties in a house share. Landlord with multiple properties was happy to charge rent that met mortgage plus costs until he started going out with an estate agent.

Mass exodus when she took the pance, pardon my language.

Alot to be said about deals that suit all parties

• Advertisement

And to compound this, the angst generated by the water mains works on north strand, starting today, shows how hard and disruptive it’ll be to get meaningful water main and electricity cabling work done across the city.

Advertisement