Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

He's on holidays too in d'nile

I think the real answer is during winter 22/23 it's everybody for themselves, stock up on dry food, wood candles and batteries, dust off the camping stove get some gas, you can bring the gas patio heater into the house just have a CO alarm and crack a widow. Jerry cans for fuel storage will be traded on the black market. Old pallets stack well and make good fuel, just tell the OH you are building a pallet shed soon

Govt reports about high employment and large surpluses are disinformation? lol, k

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Availability factors:

US nuclear 92.4% (about 85% globally)

UK Offshore, wind, so likely the same here - 47% at best

UK/IE Solar, about 15%

But a short duration heatwave in France is supposed to be some global metric for making grid level decisions in a country that doesn't have heatwaves, with nuclear still being near double the reliability of any renewables, at worst. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

Ireland cannot afford to build two nuclear power stations. It requires two (at least) in order to guarantee supply. It will never happen and no one will ever pay for it. Stop **** banging on about an impossible scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

No your own interpretation. But I guess you know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Government will consider introducing a windfall tax on energy companies in September's Budget, according to the Taoiseach. They also seem open to the possibility of LNG.

Why? affordability or even a complete lack of logic has never stopped the greens banging on about quite a number of apparent impossible scenarios. See this thread for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

The difference is the renewables are been built so your point is ?

Offshore wind is considerably more expensive than nuclear, so the affordability argument is null.

So was solar and onshore wind, now look at them

Within 5 years or less it'll be on parity after which point it'll be cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

There’s this thing called science, its been around for a while amazing you’ve not heard of it really at this stage in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

On renewables being built- most renewables are being financed by investment companies or existing energy companies and who recieve guaranteed prices for all electricity produced (regardless of demand)

The same process has been used to finance the building of at least one Nuclear power plant in the UK.

My previous point? The rubbish the greens regularly come put with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

How is sea level rise measured in Ireland? and who keeps the records?

How much did level rise or fall in Dublin bay over the last 12 months? how was this determined?

How much has sea level risen in Dublin bay since 1922? How do we know?

Since 1922 have there ever been years when sea level has not risen in Dublin bay?

There have been a number of articles published across mass media in Ireland over the last 12 months that sensationalise the output of computer models with no demonstrated skill in prediction, using parameters from RCP8.5 and the new SSP 8.5, scenarios which are widely acknowledged to be unrealistic (i.e. business as usual), but make for sensational headlines. Following the old maxim, never let truth get in the way of a good story, none of the people who put their names to those articles actually bothered finding the actual data. With no demonstrated skill these projections are simply revelations of the apocalypse promoted by the modern equivalent of religious seers.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

The demand curve is very predictable. Not so the supply curve from random generation sources. The unpredictable nature of the supply is why grid balancing services are becoming more expensive and complex to maintain, in response to the shortfall of dis-patchable power, Eirgrid engages in demand side management (DSM). Using smart meters for demand side management are absolute proof the government has utterly failed in it's task of providing abundant, reliable electricity supply. They are working on schemes that will turn off devices in your home or premises that use too much electricity such as electric vehicles, within the next 4 years the supply situation in Ireland will at times not have enough dispatchable power to meet demand.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Yeah, about that -- you do realise we just guaranteed the same strike price for the RESS 2 onshore wind auction as the UK paid for the Hinckley Point nuke? Never safe to use international comparators when talking about Ireland. We are paying way more than international prices. And far from coming down, the price has gone up 32% in just the last two years since the previous auction. It's double the previous wholesale cost of electricity even before you add in transmission costs etc. etc.

The Greens have steadfastly refused to produce a costed plan for their 2030 targets. A couple of years back I estimated (from a back-of-the-envelope calculation) that the cost of electricity would have to double or triple. So far I am seeing absolutely no sign that I was wrong.

Also, about the two nuclear power stations -- you don't need two stations, just two reactors. Of the working nuclear sites in the US, 70% have either two or three reactors on them.

Since it was ignored a couple of pages back when I posted it, I'd appreciate if any of the Green acolytes here would comment on the fact that IRELAND IS PAYING MORE FOR NEW ONSHORE WIND THAN THE UK IS PAYING FOR NEW NUCLEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

green policies i dont think will destroy the earth, the same way i dont think non green policies will wreck it.

i've said this before...someone just needs to release the data (if the data dont exist, how can there be a debate).

what countries and industries are the main cause of climate change. a few pie charts would be ideal.

till that is established, its near pointless.

in ireland, if we went 100% green (and i mean 100% - everything), how would that combat climate change?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I posted it on the previous page. Don't expect any responses from the Greenies here. For whatever reason they seem to go completely schtum when it's pointed out that the wheels are already falling off the trolley of their energy nirvana. We are facing absolutely savage costs for their ill thought out experiments. Unfortunately it's going to take some time before the chickens fully come home to roost. We will be too far down the road of energy poverty and security by then to easily row back. For Ryan et al., of course, that's exactly what they want.

• Advertisement

Even Ryan knows he's on a sticky wicket. He's approved a new 210 MW "temporary" gas-fired plant in North Wall, with another one to follow. Now if only he understood what we need to fuel it ...

You mean gas, the fuel to be used during the transition to sustainable options? Yeah, everyone is aware of the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Who backed the "leave it in the ground" campaign?

Gas is going to magically appear down a pipe somehow.

Consider that all of our lives, the lifespan of our parents, grandparents, great grandparents, great-great grandparents i.e. since the end of the little ice age we have been living with catastrophic anthropogenic global warming aka climate change™. This period coincides with the agricultural and industrial revolutions and a massive human population increase.  The evidence is this is beneficial to human welfare which has in general improved especially in the period since the fall of communism from the late 1980s and can be measured on on any aggregate metric for human welfare you want to look at.   That is not to deny there are no problems to be dealt with, we don't live in paradise and human nature has not changed in millennia which is why we keep repeating the same cycles of war. Ask ourselves would we rather live in a pre-industrial society or todays 21st century?

Consider that in the 19th century at times there were more people in Ireland than there are living here today. We are mostly the descendants of the people who survived that period. How did the people in the 19th century keep warm? A combination of turf, timber, coal, animal dung. If you look at the forestry maps of Western Europe compared to today, there is more forest today. Why is that?  How about the fact that Ireland s climate is conducive to the spread of potato blight, combined with the political system this led to complete disaster when the staple crop failed.  How about typhoid, cholera & diarrhoea these are not problems in Ireland today because of civil engineering we live cleaner & healthier lives. All that is built on the availability of cheap and available energy.

Climate change™ is a vehicle of convenience for control of wealth and power, it is nothing to do with changing weather patterns. Even conceptually the idea that humans can control natures cycles is nonsense, though, we do pray for divine intervention to bring us good weather to get the harvest & turf in when the weather is bad.

You are asking for data, what you will get are projections generated by computer programs and fed with assumptions by people with vested interests in the outcome. The error bars on those projections become larger as they project out further in time, these things have no predictive skill, in other words their value as a basis for making decision about the future is 0, their function is to amplify present day media propaganda.

Fundamentally the current debate is about how we consume energy now and will be permitted to in the future. Green policies to restrict the extraction and consumption of primary energy sources have major consequences for us who live in an ecological and economic system that has been built on access to these resources. The "solutions" being promoted by greens have hard technological engineering and physics limits, the greens do no have answers for these and resort to magic thinking, since these systems must be designed and built years in advance it is clear that current roadblocks being implemented by the current government will have a material impact on our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Plan? There is a plan?

What plan has ER got for gas specifically?

So the smart meters that are currently being installed- do we know is there a remote switch to cut supply, built in to the meters?

It would have to be a fairly chunky switch I imagine as you could be breaking a fair amount of current depending on the load of the house.

Yeah, to use it as a transitional fuel source as you well know, but hey I haven't answered one of your silly questions for a few days

I presume he has made plans to try and store this fuel in the event of constraints on natural gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

There is. If they need to forcefully shed load on a widescale basis then they'll just cut it at the substation level, which they could already do well before smart meters came online, as opposed to having individually switch tens of thousands of smart meters at a time. A lot of it's even automated, so sub-stations will detect overload on the grid (voltage and frequency drops when demand exceeds supply) and trip automatically.

• Advertisement

Except Ryan has no plan for where the gas to fuel these "emergency" plants is to come from. He keeps repeating the lies that we are not dependent on Russian exports and that gas will still flow from the UK come what may. We may not consume Russian molecules, but we (and the UK) will be competing with everyone else for the remaining available supplies. His head in the sand over LNG and indigenous sources is embarrassing. Don't take my word for it -- the Irish Times is all over it today:

Advertisement