Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No insult intended.

Of course there are many people just as you describe. The idea that they might accept living in a 32-county RoI if it was in the commonwealth is ridiculous and belittles them, imho - they might, on pragmatic or economic grounds, after all some have even been known to move here 😁 but the CW seems rather unlikely to enter into the decision process of any rational person.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Truss just said that she is just going to ignore Nicola Sturgeon. Hardly a keen unionist now is she?

Doesn't bode well for future EU relationship when the probable UK PM solution to a diplomatic problem is to jeer her counterpart and claim to just ignore the problem.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1554190178146828288?t=wz95RZR1AXm5sG4uUX_HFA&s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the EU legal eagles are sharpening their writs as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was watching the event live on Sky News. It was definitely a striking moment, but really the party has become very radicalised in the last five years so it shouldn't have been a surprise. The Johnson / ERG wing and the membership are very right wing and English nationalist in their outlook.

You would have to think the union is moving more and more towards break up in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

She's going to have us prepping for a trade war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I honestly think shes trying to play the Boris strategy of creating a new thing to distract from the previous one but in this case it seems she going to start a trade war to try to distract everyone from the cost of living crisis.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well, as an excuse for the cost of living crisis rather than a distraction from.

They've been trying to hide the true impact of Brexit among the Covid issues , but Covid impacts are rapidly fading away so now they need a new "external" reason why the UK economy is in the circling the drain.

A self-inflicted trade war with the big bad EU would fit the bill perfectly , they can hide all the Brexit failures in there for a good while.

The whole Protocol row is concocted indeed. As if anyone in the Tory Party even gives a hoot about customs checks between GB and NI. The issue has barely even been mentioned once during the leadership debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It's a joke really. You have 2 MP's who have been part of the chaos the past 3 years in cabinet. So they cannot divorce themselves from Johnson as collective responsibility is still a thing. But they will try to do just that. This should give Labour a ton of material to use against either candidate when it comes to PMQ's and any policy decisions they make.

I can see if Truss wins she will get a small bounce in the polls but once the public are exposed to her they will quickly turn against her. She will have to deal with the cost of living crises and, well lets be honest here, she is not the sharpest tool in the shed. The answer she gave on changing her mind on Brexit will attest to this and I doubt she has the charisma of Johnson to win over a crowd.

She will find it hard to think on her feet and the buzzwords she will have will not work out well if she is being shown a fool.

Sunak is just a millionaire playing with other people's money. It is almost too easy to fight against him as you have the video of him boasting that he does not have friends who are working class when he was younger. Since then he married a billionaire so that will not have changed. He is out of touch and his policies will have played a role in the current crises so he is open to attack as well.

We might be in for a tough time as they try to win the vote and make outlandish statements they may even fell they need to follow through on. It is going to be fun to watch, but it could have dire consequences though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Truss has it sewn up at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭amacca

That is a truly shocking indictment of the current political situation in the UK ............

I have a springer spaniel I'd be happier to vote for if she was in that leadership race, although I'm probably biased....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not sure. She had a massive gaff and subsequent uturn over savings. And her explanation of the uturn made no sense whatsoever.

Her greatest weakness now is herself and time. She better hope that people have already made their mind up and vote early.

That and Sunak is truly awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If only we could get this sort of candour over here:

Varadkar claims that it makes no difference who wins the leadership as both candidates are playing hard to the Tory party base. He's unsure if they want a deal because said base despises Brussels and the government clearly favours the DUP over Nationalists when it's supposed to be neutral.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well yeah.. only for the fact that a trade war only exists because of Brexit

Not that that point would register with most willing to listen to such sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Listening to Sunak U-turn on taxes gave me such Jeb "Please clap" vibes that I was calling it from that moment tbh.

If Truss' gaffes mattered she wouldn't have gotten this far anyway. The Tory faithful love the "stern woman" performance. That's all that matters. She's gonna show them Paddies what's what.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"They want a row with Brussels". Cuts to the quick about this whole, elongated torture.

What's interesting is that even though Varadkar was speaking honestly with a fair degree of candour ... you could still clearly see by the occasional smirks, his eyes flashing when certain things were said. He was biting his tongue all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Every politician in the EU is biting their tongue. The Tories have become a childish joke of a party. Trump is one thing but they are sending whole army loads of Trumps into their leadership races.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know what? These guys aren't Trump, they're worse in some respects - and I think I said as much before. The comparison with US politics is Mitch McConnell and his ilk: Trump was a bloody moron, but a force of nature as well. A monster but not self-aware to any intellectual extent. McConnell knowingly embraced the lunacy, vulgarity and destructiveness Trump caused; he didn't care about any of it, he just wanted that he and his stayed in Total Control.

Truss and Sunak are like McConnell in that they know (or at least I suspect they know) full-well the erosion of norms and overall degradation of the UK they're causing in the naked pursuit of power - but they do it anyway. They have the power and opportunity to shape the narrative away from open diplomatic hostility, economic self-sabotage and all that's happening in Norther Ireland - instead they choose to be monstrous. That's worse in my book, and the difference between a crime of passion & pre-meditation.

I'm not sure Truss is all that intelligent. It's why she will probably beat Sunak. It's easier to lie and contradict yourself when you don't know you are doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Know a lad in her erstwhile department. To say he didn't praise her abilities would be an understatement.

That said, I can't fault her instincts with regards to climbing the ladder. She was a remainer and now she's the continuity Johnson candidate while Sunak, a consistent Eurosceptic is now the anti-Brexit candidate. Somehow.

Every move she's made with regards to seeking advancement has been spot on. She's even hid her complete lack of ability, skill or any sort of capacity for work. In many ways, she embodies her party.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She's even hid her complete lack of ability, skill or any sort of capacity for work. 

erm, what did she do that?

Anything I've seen or heard from her didn't show much of any of the traits you mention.

Something that is almost missed is that the US had only four years of Trump. The UK has had six years of "Brexitism" and its numerous disciples and they are still running the country. The longer this goes on, the more damage they do (and very likely they will succeed in breaking up the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Sunak promising big tax cuts. Big u turn.

So many u-turns in this race they should just turn it into a Fast & Furious style doughnut contest.

When she became the most likely successor to Boris Johnson. The only relevant people here are Tory MPs and party members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Increases in crop and livestock outputs saw UK agriculture’s income rise by almost 15% in 2021, according to the latest government figures.

The country’s total income from farming (TIFF) rose by £756 million last year to almost £6 billion – the third highest TIFF in real terms since 2000.

Annual data published by Defra revealed average farm business incomes had increased from £39,000 in 2019/2020 to £46,500 12 months later.

I guess with europe is just full of fat **** they could never stop buying food to stuff their fat faces.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So you are getting excited by the fact that land prices are just now getting back to the level they were at before Brexit and somehow that means Brexit is great?

Got next to nothing to do with the EU.

Only about 20% of UK Farmers export their produce and exports to the EU are down about 20% when you compare 2019 to 2022 , they are down 7% overall , so even the 10% increase in non EU exports haven't bridged the gap.

Any report comparing 2021 with 2022 is heavily skewed by Covid.

And just to follow up on exports.

This is UK Exports for the last ten years

As you can see , reasonably steady growth followed by the COVID hit and then a recovery , but not back to pre COVID levels yet.

This is the same data for the EU

Same steady growth , same COVID Dip - But the EU got back to pre-COVID export levels last year and are now about 20% or so above that level.

Interestingly , Ireland didn't really have a "COVID Dip"

We appear to have flat-lined for a bit through 2021 and are now moving ahead fairly rapidly..

The UK is the only country in Europe where exports have not yet recovered to Pre-COVID levels, what do you think might be the difference in the last 2 years for the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For the true believers, facts and data are irrelevant.

Anything bad = "EU punishing us"

Anything good = Sunlit Brexit Uplands!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement