Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think Knights biggest issue is teams probably don't know what his best position/role probably are. He's like the attacking version of John O'Shea. Derby can't do without the workrate he brings to the team so play him here, there and everywhere.

Also teams have mostly been shopping in the free agent market. A few teams have spent some decent cash and the only ones that have spent that on midfielders are Burnley, Millwall, Norwich, and Hull. Burnley brought in Cullen and Twine while Millwall also brought in an attacking midfielder than can play CF. Hull have new owners who are spending money on lads playing in Turkey and Norwich spent big on a Brazilian who looks similar to Knight in that he also can do a job in multiple positions.

Might have to spend the year in League One before moving on a free or half a season if teams try to get him on the cheap in January. If Germany is a viable option for Knight could do similar to Cullen and spend a couple of years abroad before moving back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Maybe Knight is just overrated here. I mean he's a fairly neat and tidy player but he has never been the stand out player when I've seen him at Derby. I keep waiting for him to go up a gear but it hasn't happened yet.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sky had a show recently that named him as one if the best 20 young talents in the Championship, so think he is probably rated highly enough in the UK.

Okay so maybe he is overrated by a lot of media.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Egan, Clark, and Stevens all start for Sheffield United. Game is live on Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Stevens lasts 54mins before going off injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You can't have a view or opinion like that though. I'd tend to agree a little. A player will find his level and Knight has been around a while now. He is probably available cheapo enough so it speaks volumes that clubs aren't willing to spend a small enough fee.

That won't be a popular thing to say around here but it is what it is.

100 percent. I was trying to be sarcastic 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

cracking thread this, best way to stay up to date with progress of the irish lads down the divisions.

This and the random saturday checks on Livescore to see if any of them appeared (and scored) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kennys Kids on Twitter well worth a follow if you aren't already

He clearly isn't rated very highly by those actually in the game. Even at his own basket case club he wasn't really a guaranteed starter last season and with a new manager he's playing right back.

But yeah, he's just underrated by me, his managers to date, all the scouts and countless clubs who are crying out for young, available, talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Run by the awful Pundit Arena crowd now unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ya I read an interview with Kevin Higgins the guy who set it up originally and he said it just wasn't sustainable financially to do it on his own anymore. I hate Pundit Arena too but the account is still top notch in fairness

Saw that alright.

He also mentioned that PA never even thanked him for handing over the account. Which does not surprise me tbh.

Rep of Ireland Player Tracker was another good page and similar the lad behind that, Tim Graham, stopped doing it for the same reasons.

Irish Abroad is another good page to follow on Twitter to keep up with how players are doing and imo are better than Kenny's Kids.

Good page to follow if you want to keep up with players stats and it's probably where Pundit Arena take the stats they post on Kenny's Kids from. He posts on Footie.ie and YBIG too, tetsujin1979, and must have a ton of info stored up because often throws up valuable info about when the last time certain things happened, how many Irish players played in certain leagues in certain seasons etc etc. I'd say you name it and he'll have some info about it. Have a handy website too.

Would second this. Been following him for years and he's a sound lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bournemouth after deciding against both keeper trialists (Lossl and Smithies) to be Travers back up, are now approaching Neto from Barca.

That puts Travers #1 jersey in major doubt imo. Neto would have much better offers from bigger clubs to be a back up keeper than Bournemouth, so if he is going there he must have been promised the starting gig and a beefy wage to match.

• Advertisement

Looking at the state of their back four you'd think they'd be trying to sort that out rather than paying good money on wages for Neto when they've a young keeper who was probably the best in the championship last season.

Ramsdale whose an average keeper went for big money twice after back to back relegations and Travers is probably one of their best assets. You'd think they've give him the season like they did Ramsdale. Could see them being worse than Norwich were in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not entirely unexpected. If he wasn't getting games in League 1, that was hardly going to change with Wigan getting promoted. With the likes of Sykes, Ronan, and Szmodics all on an upward curve, it's going to be hard for him to make the Ireland squad while playing with Dundee United.

The Celtic curse strikes again, McCarthy heading for the exit door. Crazy to think how badly his career has fizzled out at such a young age. He's still only 31, yet only played 2 games in the last 6 years for us.

Bit of a head scratcher that they paid money for him and then just never selected him for match squads more or less. And I don't think he was injured all the time because I believe some local report said it wasn't injury related.

Mad to think less than a year ago he made his debut away to Portugal with others injured and had a good performance.

His agent is probably still laughing that they actually gave him a four year contract.

Yeah Celtic Curse my arsé. His agent played an absolute blinder getting him a contract there at all.

Must have the same agent as Hendrick who got him a pay increase and a four year contract with Newcastle. Must have been those "links" to AC Milan that had Newcastle throw such a good deal at him 😂

I was being tongue in cheek. Evidence seems to point more to the fact that Celtic overpay for mediocre Irish players, rather than take in good players and wreck them.

Ronan might end up staying at Wolves this summer. With Wolves lack of signings and squad size there's the possibility he remains with the squad as back up. Wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't and then reassess his options in Jan.

"At the moment, no (I don't know),” said Ronan, when asked about his future. "I'm just taking each day as it comes. There's conversations to be had with the club to see where my future is going forward.

"I'm just happy to have had the chance. What used to get to me a little bit was when I came back from loans feeling like I'd done well and not getting that opportunity.

"I feel like now I've got that opportunity. If the gaffer chooses to send me on loan again or I'm not quite right for him, I can take that because I've had the chance to get in front of him.”

The next question receives a quick response. Do you want to stay? "One hundred per cent. That's the dream for every young lad growing up (to play in the Premier League). Just to be around it is a great experience but I want to stay at the football club, there's no doubt about that.”

James McCarthy's career has to be one of the biggest anti climaxes for a long time. So much spoken about him and he was so highly rated. Seems to be finished about 5 years now at this stage.

• Advertisement

From following Nathan Judah (journo who was on your for Wolves preseason) he commented a few times on positive performances/aspects of Ronan's play during the tour. So the introduction of 5 subs and, as you say, Wolves lack of investment in midfield, may see him getting PL minutes soon.

That would be the best case scenario for Ronan but it's hard to see. The highest level he has played at is SPL. My thinking is he will be looking to get out in January after seeing little to no game time. He just isn't at PL level. Nowhere near it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Matt Doherty’s nickname at spurs according to the athletic. He has a great life but no situation is perfect

Officially a Dundee United player for the season.

Ouch. Disappointing if we're honest. I thought he had all the attributes needed to be successful in the championship. Hasn't really gone well for him since he joined Wigan. Back to the safety net of the SPL.

Especially if Aberdeen are his only option it would be worth his while if Lage wanted him to stick around. Fair enough when Hearts were mentioned they've got group stage European football and helps get eyes from around Europe on you if you impress.

He's not really a young player or someone that hasn't played football who'd benefit from a year up in Scotland like he did with St Mirren.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. I think is level is going to be League One or SPL by the look of it. He'll carve out a decent career for himself to be fair. Hopefully a late developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Neto's move from Barcelona to Bournemouth getting closer. Very bad news for Travers I fear. If he does get dislodged as the number 1 he badly needs a move out of there as soon as possible. Too good to sit on the bench again.

Neto would be paid waaay too much to be a Bournemouth back up. He wouldn't be short of good offers from bigger clubs to be a back up so Bournemouth must be paying pretty big and guaranteed him first choice, otherwise can't see why he would join.

It would be a traversty if he lost his place to some journeyman that has played a handful of seasons as first choice goalkeeper during his career.

Yeah while he's been back up most his career it was back up to Buffon and Ter Stegen. Their squad is poor and can see them doing worse than Norwich in the PL and keeper was the one position they didn't need to waste money on.

• Advertisement

Mad stuff really. Travers was a huge part of the reason they got promoted again. He needs to get his agent to secure him a move pronto. A 33 year old Brazilian who has played 10 games or so in 3 years. Perhaps Bournemouth are seeing something on a daily basis which suggests Travers isn't up to this level. But strange all the same that they would look to "strengthen" with Neto. I can think of many more goalies which would be a better option.

They have 3 centerbacks of questionable ability, the new right back (Fredericks) is apparently already injured, their one left back (Zemura) is incredibly raw.

Adding a new keeper behind them is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Doesnt address their actual issue in the slightest.

Worrying. Thought Kilkenny came in and did very well at the start of the season for Bournemouth last year. Unfortunately it didn't stop Parker from dispensing with him. There's no sentiment in football and if Parker thinks Neto is the superior option, then he'll go with him.

Yeh that's true. Travers should start playing hard ball with them now. They won't want to lose him which could be the issue as he is a solid number 2. It could be back to the championship for him now.

That would be a bit of a disaster if we didnt have a starting goalie. I didnt think bazunu was ever guaranteed to be first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think anyone thought he'd be guaranteed to start to begin with - but I'd guess he'll be starting within a few months. He's just the better keeper, and the one they've invested in for the long term.

As far as not having a starting keeper... it's the one position where it doesn't seem to matter as much. At club and country we constantly see keepers who haven't played for a while step in and be great. Amongst our own lads, we had years of Randolph never playing for his club, and then being great for us. Kelleher never looks off it when he comes in for either Ireland or Liverpool either. And elsewhere, Danny Ward's been putting in top notch performances for years for his country while being firmly number 2 with his club. Just seems to be a totally different situation compared to outfielders who need time to get up to speed (unsurprisingly, given it's practically a different sport).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

He's got to say that so Bazunu and McCarthy don't become complacent and each ups their game to become the number one.

Sergio Romero was almost exclusively a back up at club level yet clocked near 100 caps as Argentina's 1st choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

If Bazunu doesn't start this weekend I wouldn't be overly concerned at all. The outlay they spent on him was significant for a club like Southampton so if not this weekend I expect he will be number one in the near future. Southampton will probably be hoping to sell him on for a monster fee in a few years all going to plan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement